Thread: Disc in 5 mans

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonora View Post
    So, can holy priests, paladins, druids and monks easily deal with badly playing dps? Or do they also have to strain themselves?
    That question is impossible to answer because there's way too many factors involved. Taking restoration shaman for example, however, you have way more tools at your disposal to either prevent big issues from occurring (AoE stun & interrupt) or react to sudden high incoming damage (spirit link, healing tide, ascendance and possibly some more depending on talents).
    Last edited by GT4; 2016-09-13 at 06:32 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GT4 View Post
    It also takes enough time that there's a good chance people actually messing up in mythic will already have died by the time you have your light's wrath through. Most other healers have way stronger tools to reactively start healing a lot immediately.

Both priest healing specs seem to be pretty fine (or at least not too far behind) for overall healing output but their utility and cooldowns seem a bit lackluster.

I disagree, mass dispell alone is such a good spell im 5 man dungeons and every priest spec got it. It gets very noticable in the two new mythics arkus and the other one which name i don't know in english. There, nearly every trash gives the entire group either a heal debuff or dmg increase debuff and every other healer is locked behind the cd for single dispels. If you can drink between trash (or go as shadow) this trash gets annihilated. On top there is single dispel, clearing buffs on the enemy, strong (unfortunately very situational) cc with dominant mind, as discipline you speed up your tank and when we look to raids some of the only left preactive healing in the game.

I really enjoy their tool kit so far. The only issue i have is that it is so much harder to do the withered szenario as discipline because there is no viable stun with mindbomb being shadow only but that is very minor

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    So basically you're saying if there's nothing to heal then disc is easy to heal with. Pretty sure that's how every class works.
    Never said nothing, you always have something to heal.

Just pointing out the fact that if you actually need to shadow mend one member of the party (because he has taken excess damage).. you are far behind any other healer. Not only because you have to heal, plus after that you have keep on doing damage. People dont usually do all mechanics properly, and take some extra damage, they know healers can heal. As a disc you have to stop doing damage, and start healing people.. therefore you have no atonement damage again. And the chain keeps on going. It´s a very lousy mechanic, and you know it´s lousy dont keep defending it.. go and try any other class of healer.

I dont know about your character, but mine only does one thing at a time.
    Wait for raid and let me know if you are still playing disc priest. WTH just let me know if there is any priest playing...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenas View Post
    Never said nothing, you always have something to heal.

Just pointing out the fact that if you actually need to shadow mend one member of the party (because he has taken excess damage).. you are far behind any other healer. Not only because you have to heal, plus after that you have keep on doing damage. People dont usually do all mechanics properly, and take some extra damage, they know healers can heal. As a disc you have to stop doing damage, and start healing people.. therefore you have no atonement damage again. And the chain keeps on going. It´s a very lousy mechanic, and you know it´s lousy dont keep defending it.. go and try any other class of healer.

I dont know about your character, but mine only does one thing at a time.
    Wait for raid and let me know if you are still playing disc priest. WTH just let me know if there is any priest playing...
    Have you ever tried grace plus twist of fate for dungeons? These SM crit for 600k+ that is 2/3 of the holys holyword.
    With disc you do an average of 200k+ as output numbers. When there is alot to heal you have something around 180k healing but only 50-60k dmg. When there is little to heal and you take power infusion and mindbender and pop them here because it benefits your mana really good (keep in mind your mind pet scales with your haste=get a lot of mana back) you are doing 50-60k hps with shields on the tank and maybe a plea on a dd who then have atonement but you benefit the group with 160k+ dps.

To your statement i dondt think you are far behind when you spam 3-4shadow mends on a tank when he spikes. When he is shit you spam SM more but your hps will be huge thanks to 600k+ crits woth grace and twist of fate.

Been healing mythic with 821 ilvl as disc no problem. I see guildies always saying disc is shit but I have no issues with disc in mythics. I also think it's the best in BGs and been having a great time destroying in arena skirms. We shall see how well it excels 2200+ when season starts but for now it's a top dog in all available PVE/PVP modes now.

Sorry to say, the bads play Holy...yeah I said it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've healed a few heroics with disc and holy. I see no major problems with either. I imagine disc could be problematic in difficult 5mans when the slower aoe heal buildup time is a problem.
    Burst aoe heal of disc feels really brutal, holy is definitely worse in this regard.

I'd change a few things in disc:
    - shorter CD on Light's Wrath
    - a talent to roll SWP with smite/penance like holy rolls renew with direct heals
    - dispel should apply atonement
    - purge the wicked copies cannot be copied further with penance as far as I see, can be quite confusing
    - some artifact traits like sins of the many and doomsayer feel weak or even totally useless in 5man groups
    Last edited by Zka; 2016-09-13 at 08:57 AM.

in my humble opinion Disc is at a good spot ATM

baddies will always be baddies , wich will always create unpleasant runs.
    ppl still live in the we over gear , there is no need for cc and mechanics dont matter mind state
    i've litterly!!! met a mage yesterday in mythic... that didnt even had sheep on his bar... i mean WTF
    i've met a dh that didnt even know he had that crazy selfheal
    a rogue who's prob a fan of van cleave because damn he loved being cleaved alongside the tank...you do more dps from the back little rogue

its group work especialy at the start of an xpack
    everyone needs to gear up, every reroller needs to relearn his new roll, every player needs to learn and see (trail and error) boss mechanics

i have no issues healing hc/mythics (843 atm), but i do tent to find the ones with friends/guildies way more fun
    after a few runs coms arnt even needed anymore... and it feels warm and fuzzy in my belly to see a mob shackled or sheeped or sapped a bit before our tank... and ... it makes the run quicker too!!! cleave dmg looks good on recount, but it doesnt create a beter or faster run

the only issue i have with disc...but i feel that blizz disagrees thus the "current" weird choice they made (too op?!?!) is that the shadow convenant talent should basicly be sw:r for 5 ppl instead of this current weak heal on 5 men...it's crazy anyway to place our direct aoe heal's behind a talent choice (halo/star/sc)... the talent should be sw:r for 5 ppl it's our freaking 110 choice talent.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zombieoov View Post
    Disc just have a slightly harder learning curve than the rest of the healers but they are fine when your team does the boss mechanics correctly.
    If your team does all the mechanics correctly then you barely need a healer. Good to know Disc is fine in that situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I am absolutely not saying it's a problem. You shouldn't be able to heal through DPS or Tanks being idiots. But, as per the norm, we have people used to Disc being so ridiculously overpowered that it could simply ignore mechanics and the player could just watch Netflix while running mythic dungeons.

I really think that's where most of the complaints stem from. People just are not in any way used to having to pay attention, and they're used to being able to carry bad tanks and DPS. And you just can't right now.

Every other healing class can. And carrying bad tanks and DPS is mostly the point of random dungeons. If a healing class can't do that then that class is going to be very unpopular.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    - purge the wicked copies cannot be copied further with penance as far as I see, can be quite confusing
    Yes they can.

Have to learn discipline priest m8.

Check Flintoid youtube channel, has videos in mythic+9

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Yes they can.
    I just tried it again and it works. Strange. It definitely seemed to not work during leveling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dantesco View Post
    Check Flintoid youtube channel, has videos in mythic+9
    I vouch for that guy as well. Also subbed, I like his playstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    I just tried it again and it works. Strange. It definitely seemed to not work during leveling.
    Might have just been out of range. I find that the spread range is only ~10 yards or so.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Might have just been out of range. I find that the spread range is only ~10 yards or so.
    Either that - or it has jumped to a mob that wasn't in front of me and therefore not showing in EnemyGrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Neonfrogs View Post
    I disagree, mass dispell alone is such a good spell im 5 man dungeons and every priest spec got it. It gets very noticable in the two new mythics arkus and the other one which name i don't know in english. There, nearly every trash gives the entire group either a heal debuff or dmg increase debuff and every other healer is locked behind the cd for single dispels. If you can drink between trash (or go as shadow) this trash gets annihilated. On top there is single dispel, clearing buffs on the enemy, strong (unfortunately very situational) cc with dominant mind, as discipline you speed up your tank and when we look to raids some of the only left preactive healing in the game.

I really enjoy their tool kit so far. The only issue i have is that it is so much harder to do the withered szenario as discipline because there is no viable stun with mindbomb being shadow only but that is very minor
    Mass dispel can be useful but it's very situationally useful. I was comparing to resto shaman which has the same offensive (and obviously defensive) single target dispel. Dominant mind works well as long as your goal is no clear the dungeon no matter what but it significantly loses value once you want to clear as quickly as possible (which is basically the case for all dungeons, especially with mythic+ being time restricted). The proactive healing that discipline still has left (assuming you mean shields which are actually useful proactive healing and not attonement which is purely a downside) is honestly not worth considering. It's basically a shield worth 5% of a well geared tank's HP pool whereas shaman can just passively buff their max HP by 10% - that's way more useful.

I'm not saying discipline has no tools and utility but practically speaking, it's outclassed by most other healers.

You compare one skill of disc to one talent of shaman and come to the conclusion that disc is outclassed by every other healer.

If that's your conclusion, I can't tell you anything other than to try and read the whole post before replying. Not like it matters anyway, you can ask any healer in a top guild that's played all healers on beta and they'll tell you the same.

I really don't get why people always get so defensive about their class and go by the premise that Blizzard is capable of making all <insert role> equally strong or equally versatile when they release an expansion. It's historically never been the case and it likely won't ever be the case either. Especially looking at challenge modes where utility matters more than in raids, some tanks and healers have always been significantly stronger than others. Balance might be better in this regard compared to previous expansions but healers are certainly not at a point where there's no gap any more.
    Last edited by GT4; 2016-09-13 at 05:28 PM.

I heal Mythics as Disc and have no issues. I find it better most of the time b/c as some people mentioned, you need to make up for bads in pugs, and disc can not only heal well if you know what you are doing, but it can help make up for bad dps. Highest single target damage I have managed to hit was 176k dps, but that boss only lasted 53 seconds. On longer fights, I tend to range from 100k dps to 140k dps, depending on how much I need to use shadowmend. I find that the easiest and most reliable way to do dungeons is to just keep atonement up as much as possible. This can be rough, and cost quite a bit of mana, but you will add decent dps and keep everyone alive. As a reference, I am currently 843 ilvl.

Deleted
    All opinions in this thread are divided between: people in good guilds playing with organized groups - saying Disc is fine, and people who PuG a lot - saying Disc is shit. If you PuG, go Holy. Simple as that.

" All opinions in this thread are divided between: people in good guilds playing with organized groups - saying Disc is fine, and people who PuG a lot - saying Disc is shit. If you PuG, go Holy. Simple as that. "

Hahaha, well, if you are saying that... actually is the same than "if the situation is easy, is ok go disc, but on hard situations, go with other spec". For me is the definition of a class that need some buff (not huge, just some minor additions could let it perfect)

Quote Originally Posted by Hipopotamo View Post
    All opinions in this thread are divided between: people in good guilds playing with organized groups - saying Disc is fine, and people who PuG a lot - saying Disc is shit. If you PuG, go Holy. Simple as that.

Disagree. Up until tonight I pugged mythics fine as disc. The change tonight was that I ran a guild group...as holy.