Thread: Metzen retiring

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    He's an artist; he's written several books. He has a new baby. He has plenty he can do including un-retire if he sees fit. I know at times he's expressed a desire to write for comics and graphic novels. Which is not to say that's what he's going to do. But he's got lots of money and all the time in the world.
    He has, in fact, written for IDW comics before. He did Transformers: Autocracy, and Transformers: Monstrosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    No you don't, if you've spent your life working then you will be bored as fuck. Bernie Ecclestone is like 86 and a billionaire and refuses to retire, loads of successful people are the same. Those who do retire young end up working again because they just get bored of sitting on their asses.
    True, and some just play golf for the rest of their life. Or travel. I know a couple guys who retired early - one lasted a year, and went into consulting (and made more money in a year than he did in 5 years with a job, he was a little bitter about that), the other stayed retired, and dabbles with stuff. Golfing, hobbies, etc. Went back to school for things he wanted to learn, but no degree goal. He's happy.

- - - Updated - - -

Metzen's net worth estimated at around ten million dollars. I would retire in a heartbeat at 42 if I were sitting on something like that. That's live-well-off-the-interest-and-never-touch-the-principal territory. It's a lot more than salary. It's also investments, some income from things he holds rights to, stock options and who knows else.
    If you got the 10 million from one of those celebrity net worth pages, I'd be very leary of their accuracy.

I'm sure Metzen isn't worried about paying the mortagage, but unless he tells you his worth, it's all guesstimating and blowing smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominus89 View Post
    I did.
    "Name three things..." is a very stupid arguement, considering that he as a creative director he more or less has a part in everything.

Come up with a reason why he's the worst game designer in the entire world and that we all are stupid for showing appreciation for someone that helped to shape WoW into what it is today. Still the biggest MMO out there, after 12 years. Aswell as the entire warcraft universe thats even older than that.

And again, maybe you've heard of Overwatch? It's doing pretty well right now.. he was a creative director there aswell.
    You keep avoiding answering the question.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's an artist; he's written several books. He has a new baby. He has plenty he can do including un-retire if he sees fit. I know at times he's expressed a desire to write for comics and graphic novels. Which is not to say that's what he's going to do. But he's got lots of money and all the time in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    well that buys you is comfort, but it doesn't buy you a means of expressing yourself, and the thrill of showing that creativity to others.
    Perhaps he'll be writing novels now, spending time focused on that without being told what to do. Its funny because I always saw it that he was the one giving hints to people like Christie golden on what to write about in her novels for warcraft, but now he's no longer in character, will anyone from blizzard tell Him what to write about, if he were to write warcraft books?
    Why would he write Warcraft books? He's undoubtedly got other properties he wants to create as books or graphic novels as well as the stuff he's already involved in which has been discussed. I suppose Blizzard would let him write one-offs about pre-history Azeroth if he wanted to and there are a lot of stories I could think of that he could tell from the first Chronicles volume (second volume out in March of 2017). He could also contribute something to the new kid's book line that Blizzard is setting up (Traveler) if he wanted. They've already got a decent stable of writers to cover the current game story.

The reason I quoted my original post is add to it that whether he gets into writing or not it sounds very much to me as if he wants to be a stay-at-home dad for his three kids. That's going to keep him busy in ways that those here that don't have families to care for cannot even imagine. His wife Kat has her Charitable Foundation of which she is Executive Director (Heroes for Hope Foundation) and it sounds to me like they've got a great life set up for themselves. He's done everything that he probably ever imagined at Blizzard and maybe more. If the game design itch refuses to go away he won't have any problems finding work. It's a good time to go.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Lol why the fuck is he retiring. He's like 42 years old. What is he gonna do for income then? Or is Blizzard salary so good that he's basically a millionaire now?

I wish I could retire at 42. What a joke.
    Yes, he's most likely economically independent. Not billionaire like Morrhaime, but cashing in $5-$7 million in stock options is more than enough to retire on, if you're not living a a Hollywood celebrity lifestyle.
    Pretty awesome how that works, huh?
    Last edited by mmoc53950756e3; 2016-09-14 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    No you don't, if you've spent your life working then you will be bored as fuck. Bernie Ecclestone is like 86 and a billionaire and refuses to retire, loads of successful people are the same. Those who do retire young end up working again because they just get bored of sitting on their asses.
    Bernie refuses to retire because he is addicted to power. He can't let go of control of F1 and wants to be front and centre of everything. It's not about not being bored. It's about his ego stroking needs.

Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    He's "retiring" for six months or a year or whenever his noncompete with Blizzard-Activision expires.
    There is no non-compete with Activision-Blizzard. Such clauses are illegal and unenforceable in California employment contracts.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    You keep avoiding answering the question.
    I can say the same for you.

Just because you arent satisfied with the answer, doesnt mean that I didnt answer it.