I don't think Haruhi is up anywhere for streaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I don't think Haruhi is up anywhere for streaming.
    Funimation has it.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

Quote Originally Posted by Synaia View Post
    Funimation has it.
    Shit, since when? I looked for it on streaming a few months ago and couldn't find it. I have friends wanting to watch it but won't d/l so this is definitely good news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Shit, since when? I looked for it on streaming a few months ago and couldn't find it. I have friends wanting to watch it but won't d/l so this is definitely good news.
    Just recently when they got the rights to release the BD (which came out this week). They're missing the movie tho.

(sentai also announced some hours ago they licensed chihayafuru s1-2)
    Last edited by Millhi; 2016-09-14 at 10:54 PM.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synaia View Post
    Just recently when they got the rights to release the BD (which came out this week). They're missing the movie tho.

(sentai also announced some hours ago they licensed chihayafuru s1-2)
    I was iffy on buying haruhi...last rewatch was many a years ago (besides the movie) and all I can remember atm is endless 8 which definitely doesn't help
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    I was iffy on buying haruhi...last rewatch was many a years ago (besides the movie) and all I can remember atm is endless 8 which definitely doesn't help
    Might get it just to replace the s1 dvd's I have laying around.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

I'll never understand why Haruhi has the following it does. It was mediocre at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthilan View Post
    I'll never understand why Haruhi has the following it does. It was mediocre at best.
    I don't get it at all. Same with all those people who recommended me to watch Elfen Lied.

I disagree. The first season (the only part that really matters) was excellent. It had a combination of different tropes and genres played out in parody and satire, often turning them on their heads, alongside playing things straight. It had a very off-kilter, indie project feel that would be aped by other shows in the future and an odd... Tarrantino-esque style.

The first series was part sci-fi mystery, part comedy, part drama and cleverly obfuscated its intent until the end. If watched in the original, non-chronological order, it's especially fascinating, where as watching it in the later clarified chronological order reduces the impact of the show as a whole. It all melded together in this odd boiling pot of slice-of-life, merging into strange tangents and bizarre story lines, where it was hart to tell what was real, or not. It made you wonder how much was happening in the characters heads, or in reality.

Aside from its unique style and direction, the show's opening theme and insert songs are still famous today. I don't care much for the second season, but the first film was good. Regardless though, it's only really the first season that really left a lasting mark on the anime landscape.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will never understand why people would use VLC but sometimes shit like this just happens...
    (No opinion on Haruhi though, never watched it )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I will never understand why people would use VLC
    so what do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I disagree. The first season (the only part that really matters) was excellent. It had a combination of different tropes and genres played out in parody and satire, often turning them on their heads, alongside playing things straight. It had a very off-kilter, indie project feel that would be aped by other shows in the future and an odd... Tarrantino-esque style.
    I don't know, for me the cliches didn't come off as satire or parody. The cliches were just off putting and overall made the anime even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    so what do you use?
    CCCP is the only acceptable player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    so what do you use?
    Currently (Windows only):

MadVR with Jinc AR for chroma and image upscaling, Lanczos4 for image downscaling, frame blending to match the 75Hz refresh rate of the monitor (frame blending =\= frame interpolation, it doesn't increase smoothness past what it's supposed to be, just ensures judder-free playback).

XySubFilter for subs and LAVfilters. Player doesn't really matter but I'm using MPC-HC x64.

People can get something similar set-up using Kawaii codec pack .

What I'm testing:

Using a Windows MPV build running with --ov=opengl-hq:scale=ewa_lanczossharp:cscale=spline36:dscale=mitchell:dither-depth=auto:correct
    which is basically using OpenGL as video output, ewa_lanczossharp as upscaling algorithm (this is pretty much the same as "Jinc", the one I use in MadVR), Spline for chrome scaling if the source is subsampled, Mitchell as downscaling algorithm and auto dithering.

MPV can get close results using fewer system resources (both are GPU accelerated so you still have your CPU to do whatever you want with it) and is currently the best open-source player available, also ridiculously configurable.

Serious fansubs will only really recommend you one of the two (or sometimes CCCP which isn't bad apart from bad scaling), but maybe the extra effort isn't worth it for you. For OSX or Linux MPV is the clear choice by far.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-09-15 at 02:11 AM.

Not liking Haruhi? That's some shit taste right there.

Listened to the first disc of Koe no Katachi OST. It's atmospheric ambient perfection.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Plex to stream my pilfered files to my TV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Akiba's Trip Game Gets TV Anime in January by Gonzo

In Tokyo’s popular ”Electric Town” district, Akihabara, vampires called “Synthisters” walk among us. You must identify and dispose of them the only way you know how – by engaging them in hand-to-hand combat in order to strip them of their clothes so their bodies melt away in the sunlight. (Steam description)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-gonzo/.106495

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    I used to use KCP but MadVR started giving me errors which resulted in the player not displaying anything and since I couldn't find a way to fix it and I hadn't actually done anything to trigger it I just went back to CCCP.
    Only thing I can think of is that maybe Nvidia (assuming Nvidia because Nvidia's hacks break things more often) changed something causing some incompatibility. Maybe updating MadVR could fix it? Don't know though, I haven't updated mine since December I think.

10+ Year Old Account

Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    I have an AMD graphics card. I think I tried updating it, but since KCP is a fixed bundle it wasn't very simple. I'm not even sure I did it properly and I can't be bothered to try again for now.
    No idea whatsoever then. Also didn't expect you to have good taste in GPU vendors