Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Why not?

You are dead. Not like you can use your organs anymore.

I'm on the total opposite camp. I think there shouldn't even be an opt out option. You are dead. The obsession we have with funerary rites is childish at best, creepy at worst.
    Not necessarily. Doctors have been caught not trying to save people who would've otherwise lived so they could harvest organs, and in one case saying someone was dead using outdated methods and then preparing to harvest their organs, where they then woke up on the operating table.

Admittedly this is EXTREMELY RARE, but still. No one wants to be an outlier.
    Last edited by The Stormbringer; 2016-09-15 at 12:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it should be:

You are only eligible to receive an organ, if something bad happens, if you're a registered donor. Don't want to give up an organ for whatever reason? Fine... you won't get one either. Such a simple... clean solution. Make it so everyone has the chance to choose, Ohio does it when you renew your license, and be done with it.

(Those under 18 are always eligible as they aren't old enough to choose yet.)
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not?

I'm on the total opposite camp. I think there shouldn't even be an opt out option. You are dead. The obsession we have with funerary rites is childish at best, creepy at worst.
    Because in order to properly harvest your organs you need to be alive. Exactly how much effort was put into saving your life? Hope the Netherlands gets self driving technology soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Actarius View Post
    I've always been split on these types of 'opt-out' not 'opt-in' laws.
    Because people are lazy and they know it. So even if you're against donating your organs, it doesn't matter cause you're too lazy to opt-out. And if the system is convoluted enough, you could spend hours to not be an organ donor.

Ask Microsoft how well this works, cause that's why a lot of people hate Windows 10. By default, Microsoft can track you. It's not easy to turn off the options, and every update will reset it. I wonder if the 75 people that voted for it need organs? How's that bill that's going to allow self driving cars? Cause as we know, car accidents are the biggest source of organs.

i'd gladly donate, as long as the doctors arent trying to kill me in order to speed up the process. thats my only objection.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    i'd gladly donate, as long as the doctors arent trying to kill me in order to speed up the process. thats my only objection.
    Don't be selfish, you can with one body save maybe a dozen of others....

So in the name of ""money has moral"" let yourself be killed and let a system when killing for this will be a rightful black market butchery, the migrants want some kind of revenue too, so help them to live, don't be selfish, FOR THE CHILDREN.

Don't bring abortion into this. Apples and oranges. One is not a human life (yet) the other one is.

And yes! You are evil and inhuman if your spiritual beliefs are evil and inhuman. Or you are claiming that all spiritual beliefs are inherently good?

Like the fucks who let thier kids die because they "Don't believe in medicine".

Or like the Polygamist fucks who marry little girls of 12?

Or the assholes who commit mass suicide in the jungle, killing their own kids in the process?

Or the shitheads who fly planes into buildings and strap bombs to themselves and blow up markets?
    Talk about Apples to oranges... Me not donating my body isn't hurting anyone (even though I am donating my body) some beliefs require the body stays together and that doesn't directly hurt you you. Also no, it is human. DNA says it's human. Basic science says that life begins at conception which I find so funny that the same pro-abortion nut-jobs are the same ones who think that killing chickens enmass is evil. Nope, just the natural order, just because we organized the food chain doesn't make a us evil, and neither does someone choosing to not donate their body.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopotamus View Post
    just because we organized the food chain doesn't make a us evil
    Don't you dare to speak you goyim cattle ?

WE ? you aren't WE, you aren't US, so you'll be orgarnized for US, by US, and that's not, what makes us devil.

Why are so many people discussing the pros and cons of donating organs? There's some cons, mostly in the area of funerary rites and how your loved ones are taken into account with things like saying goodbye, but the actual procedure is a whole different discussion.

The question here is what the default choice should be. I'm very much ok with the assumption you're willing to save another persons life after your death. If not, the opt out process is extremely easy and takes just a minute of your time. The pros severely outweigh the cons.

Not to mention we can stop all donor campaigns, which actually DESTIGMATIZES not being a donor.
    Last edited by Veggie50; 2016-09-15 at 07:30 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    the default choice should be. The pros severely outweigh the cons.
    CHOICE ? Are you bi-polar ? And why would you want to wait, to be dead, to save all the children... just go to the hospital now, engaging the procedure asap... don't wait. Others are dying now, because you chose to wait.... Are you afraid.... don't let them die... do the participative suicide, for the children.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I agree with this. It should be applied in every country. People need to stop with the "I heard they won't work as hard to save you if you're an organ donor" nonsense, cause that seems to be the main complaint on why people won't do it.
    Plus, if everyone is a donor by default, there should be more than enough organs for not everyone to be cut up and recycled.

I hate to admit it, but I haven't signed up for it even though I want to donate. It feels icky making a decision that has to do with my death at my age. However, the people closest to me know that I would want to donate, so hopefully I'm covered until I gather up the courage.
    Best Zindai EU
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    I am not one person.

Quote Originally Posted by Paraclef View Post
    CHOICE ? Are you bi-polar ? And why would you want to wait, to be dead, to save all the children... just go to the hospital now, engaging the procedure asap... don't wait. Others are dying now, because you chose to wait.... Are you afraid.... don't let them die... do the participative suicide, for the children.
    Ignoring the obvious ad hominem here, why do you not believe this is a choice? The choice is exactly the same as it always has been, the initiative to get your will registered has just shifted from the pro donors to the con donors.

Considering pro donors contribute more to society in this regard, I believe it is fair to let the non contributors (which is perfectly ok by me) make the step to register.

I am a full post mortem donor, registered stemcel donor and would be a blood donor if my veigns weren't so damn narrow. Though I would try to convince ANYONE to register as a stemcel donor, I understand that there are clear cons for people to donate post mortem. Be it you're afraid a doctor won't care for your life, your loved ones won't get to say goodbye, fear you might still have sensation after death, it's all fine. For me the pros of saving someones life outweigh those cons.

The jibe at donors to just kill themselves and save 8 people now is weak and detrimental to the discussion. While saving strangers lives outweighs the above listed cons, this does not mean I want them to have my organs while I am still using them in good health.

If you opted out you shouldn't be considered eligible for reciving any sort of organ donation.
    Two problems with this line of thinking:

Many cancer patients(including myself) legally can't have their organs harvested because there is a small chance the cancer can be carried over to the receiving patient even after being in remission for several years.

A number of medications can prevent you being eligible for being a donor(both organ and blood).

Should both of those groups, assuming the reasons for the cancer or medications weren't self inflicted(ie Smoker gets Lung Cancer, Alcoholic has severely damaged Liver), be denied organs or transfusions if they're needed?
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Two problems with this line of thinking:

Many cancer patients(including myself) legally can't have their organs harvested because there is a small chance the cancer can be carried over to the receiving patient even after being in remission for several years.

A number of medications can prevent you being eligible for being a donor(both organ and blood).

Should both of those groups, assuming the reasons for the cancer or medications weren't self inflicted(ie Smoker gets Lung Cancer, Alcoholic has severely damaged Liver), be denied organs or transfusions if they're needed?
    I don't think anyones arguing that, just like nobody is arguing minors shouldn't receive transplants because they aren't registered donors. The argument here is that anyone who is eligible to be a donor but isn't, could/should be excluded.

I don't actually think this is a good idea, and the opt out system is a nice compromise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not?

^ this +1.

I don't think anyones arguing that, just like nobody is arguing minors shouldn't receive transplants because they aren't registered donors. The argument here is that anyone who is eligible to be a donor but isn't, could/should be excluded.
    Definitely agree with this. I think both groups can agree.

If you don't want to be a donor, you probably don't want anyone else's organs either. So if you're eligible, yet don't sign up, you don't get any organs unless a close relative or friend is ready to donate one of his.

But if you are an eligible donor and sign up, you're also eligible to receive organs from other donors.

This way everyone should be happy.

Kinda pathetic it wasn't made law in any place the procedures are available

But homo sapiens.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Just because I feel uncomfortable donating my organs to others
    Somewhere in there, there has to be some kinda of massive cognitive dissonance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    How so?

Don't forget that I support this change!
    They did a poll on this.
    37% of the people weren't registered as either "yes" or "no".
    From that 37%, 38% hadn't decided yet and 17% didn't get to doing it.
    That means almost 7% of the people that die "forgot" to fill in a form and are thus unable to save a life.
    Though I think we agree... if 38% was undecided and 17% didn't get around to doing it... What were the other 45% about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Though I think we agree... if 38% was undecided and 17% didn't get around to doing it... What were the other 45% about?
    Could not give a shit. probs?

Quote Originally Posted by Actarius View Post
    But from a personal standpoint, I would not want to have to voice my opposition to being a donor (incase it wasn't obvious, I'm not a donor).
    Well it's simple; Either accept that your organs that your dead body doesn't need are going to save potentially dozens of lives or utter the simple phrase, "No I do not wish to be a donor." If you can't even tough it out to say that simple line then that's on you.

I'm all for a system like that where donation is the norm and the opt outs aren't. At the end of the day, we're nothing but meat shells and if parts of our dead meat shells can save other meat shells, there's no reason not to. The opt out option is there for people that don't feel the same, it's not like you're being forced into it.

Why not?

So screw personal beliefs/wishes?
    Nope, not how I operate.
    If I was REQUIRED to donate organs upon death? Just before the moment of death I would ask my family to sedate me heavily then throw me through a(large) wood chipper, rendering my organs useless...or some massive dose of toxins to render them so.

My body, my death, my wishes.

I have lived a life (thus far) of service to my country and community,donating time,sweat and money to various things throughout my time on this planet, the only thing I ask in return as the end of it all is to be left the fuck alone not having some politician/law choose how my carcass is divided up when I am dead, respect my wishes and accept that this is what I believe.

I do not believe druggies,boozers etc. (people who make bad choices in life) should benefit from my organs because they are on a list.
    And ..that is what a LOT of people on those receiver lists are ...failing organs because of bad choices.
    You can cry about this "kids" who were born with terminal diseases that cause organ failure, I feel for them truly, but unless you can 100% guarantee that the people born with terminal diseases/degenerative/accidental are the ONLY ones that would get my guts when I'm gone? I will not risk giving a junkie/drunk/slag my organs for a second or third chance.
    Last edited by enragedgorilla; 2016-09-15 at 04:34 PM.