Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Class Balance Update, Honor Talents and Prestige, Sept 14 Hotfixes, Mythic+ Preview

Chris Metzen Retirement, Meta Update - Top 10 S7 Builds

Top 10 Chinese Decks From the Hearthstone China Autumn Championships

Alarak & Braxis Holdout Release, Machines of War Showdown, Rotation & Sales Sep 13

Patch Notes for September 13th

Legion Class Balance Update
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Since the expansion launched, aside from fixing bugs, our class and systems teams have been keeping an eye on qualitative class feedback, looking for things that can be addressed via hotfix. We recently increased the default number of Warlock Soul Shards to 3 to decrease their ramp-up time; we also reduced the base cooldown of Arms Warrior Colossus Smash to 30 seconds, to mitigate the worst-case scenario when Tactician failed to reset its cooldown.

In the Developer Q&A last week, we touched on the general topic of class balance so far in Legion, and suggested that we were looking at making tuning changes via hotfix towards the end of this week. However, after further consideration of available data and the current state of the game, we feel that it’s still premature for a broad tuning pass.

World of Warcraft’s endgame consists of a range of activities, including varied raid encounters at different difficulty levels, random matchmade dungeons, Mythic dungeons (both baseline and Keystone-modified), outdoor questing, and of course arenas and battlegrounds (though I’ll be focusing on other gameplay modes in this post, since we can now handle PvP tuning separately). That’s the game that was available in beta, and it’s what our classes are designed and balanced around. But right now, everyone at max level is playing a very narrow slice of that diverse endgame: we are running dungeons, and we’re specifically running them with a focus on efficiency rather than success. Many players have learned the various dungeon encounters, and now zone in with their Heroic or Mythic groups not wondering whether they’ll be able to prevail over the challenges within, but rather how quickly. Unsurprisingly, that places an inordinate value on sustained AoE/cleave damage, and especially on-demand burst against the groups of four or five targets that comprise most enemy packs in dungeons, and so those specs that excel in those areas seem elevated above the rest.

But in a couple of weeks, when we talk about balance, major considerations will include things like meeting the single-target DPS check on Ursoc or handling the spread-out tentacles of Il’gynoth in the Emerald Nightmare, or making sure that your group can reliably interrupt Odyn’s Stormforged Obliterator in Halls of Valor, while running away from Radiant Tempest, so that he doesn’t derail your Mythic Keystone run entirely. Until we can see data from the endgame in its entirety, we can’t make informed decisions about which numbers need adjusting, and by how much. Therefore, at this point we’re aiming to hold off on a broad pass of tuning hotfixes until the end of the first week of raiding and Mythic Keystone dungeons.

In the meantime, we are looking at a couple of targeted changes to address some clear outliers: in the near future, we’re planning on deploying hotfixes that reduce tank damage output across the board (tanks should be very sturdy and effective at killing things, but too often their damage output rivals that of pure damage dealers), as well as reducing the AoE burst damage capabilities of Windwalker monks (mainly Strike of the Windlord’s area component) and Havoc Demon Hunters (mainly Fel Barrage). Those specializations will still excel in that area, but will not be so clearly dominant over their peers.

In the long run, our tuning goal is simply for everyone to feel that they can play the class and specialization they prefer. There will of course be areas of strength and weakness, and some specs will thrive in certain situations while lagging behind in others, but those gaps should not preclude viability. We’ll continue to look at available data and player feedback and make adjustments until that is the case, but that process will not begin until next week. Thank you for your patience.

Patch 7.1 - Honor Talents no Longer Reset for Prestige
    I'm very happy with this change, but now there is no downside to resetting your Honor level. What's the point in the Prestige system now? To make you manually reset your level upon hitting 50 every time?
    The original vision for the Prestige system was to create an extended progression system with a high cost that was purely optional and felt special. We wanted you to see someone with a Prestige badge and think, "Wow, that guy or gal did a crazy difficult grind to get that badge." To make that progression feel good, we added a lot of rewards along the way including artifact power, artifact appearances, mounts, toys, titles, etc. We did receive feedback, both internally and externally, that losing your honor talents didn't feel good and would be a significant impediment to particpating in Prestige. We were willing to live with that downside in order for Prestige to feel more exclusive and special. We try to get everyone honor talents quickly so they can feel competitive. But this also means you can work through the honor system quickly, arriving at level 50 with no where to go. So, we realize that more people will have more fun if they can continue to get rewards from PvP, even if Prestige loses a bit of its luster.

Thank you all for your feedback on this issue. We hope you continue to enjoy Legion and PvP!

Patch 7.0 Hotfixes - September 14
    Classes

Hunter (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    • Hati will now reset appearance to the default blue wolf form the first time summoned.
      • Developers’ Notes: Due to a bug, some hunters had Hati transform with the Essence Swapper into appearances that are unintended. A fix has been made for this to prevent future issues, but to get rid of any unintended appearances that players may already have, Hati’s appearance will be reverted to the default blue wolf when first summoned, and should retain any appearance changes thereafter. The Essence Swapper will continue to allow you to change Hati’s appearance to match that of your currently active hunter pet.

Paladin (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    • Judgment's damage on secondary targets should correctly match its damage on the primary target.

Priest (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    • Clarity of Will's maximum shield size will be correctly increased by Versatility.

Shaman (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    • (Enhancement) Feral Lunge will no longer threaten enemies when cast. Feral Lunge now only causes threat when it lands and deals damage.

Class Halls
    • The amount of follower experience granted by missions has been increased.
    • Lower-level followers should have access to more missions, even when the player has very high level followers active.
    • Players who failed to be rewarded Hymdall during the resolution of the quest "Jorhuttam" are properly granted him as a follower after entering their class hall.

Dungeons
    • Players should no longer be able to apply for Premade Group Finder parties for Arcway or Court of Stars if they have not gained access to those dungeons.
    • Eye of Azsharah
      • For the quest “Cleansing the Dreamway”, Rarefied Water should now drop from every boss. Other enemies no longer drop the item for the quest.

Items
    • Level 110 legendary rings and amulets, which all previously had no sockets, should now have 1 Prismatic socket per item.

NPCs
    • Blingtron 6000 should no longer transport some players underneath the world.

Professions
    • The alchemy spell Transmute: Fish to Gems should now take Cursed Queenfish, not Ghostly Queenfish.

Quests
    • Operation Murloc Freedom now only rewards Timeworn Artifacts while the World Quest is active.
    • The Nightbourne Loupe for the quest "A Personal Touch" is now carried by both male and female nightborne.
    • The quest object "The Black Tome" for the quest "The Black Tome" now spawns in a location that is accessible without having to jump onto the altar.
    • On “Cry Thunder!”, players can no longer interact with Vethir to start the bombing run if they’re in a raid group.
    • Elothir should consistently offer "Reading the Leaves" and "Given to Corruption" when a player is eligible for the quests.
    • Adjustments to spawn rate and credit for the Fishing World Quest “Buoy Fishing” have been made to streamline the quest.

Zones
    • Players should no longer experience phasing issues when re-visiting Dalaran over Karazhan for the Legion pre-launch quests.

Preview - Mythic Keystones
    Blizzard shared a preview of the Mythic+ dungeon system, with a few noteworthy things:

• New keystone modifiers appear at Levels 4, 7, and 10.
    • Rewards come from a chest at the end of the run, ranging from item level 845 at Mythic 2 to 865 at Mythic 10.
    • This chest contains two pieces of loot, which is a change from beta.
    • The max item level will be capped at 850 for the first week. (More info)
    • You also get a weekly chest with loot based on your best run for the week, scaling up to item level 880 at Mythic 10.
    • The only lockout on Mythic is the availability of keystones, you can keep doing them as long as someone has an active keystone.

A new level of difficulty and rewards is coming soon to Legion’s dungeons, and we’ve got a quick primer for you.

As in Warlords of Draenor, Legion dungeons come in three primary levels of difficulty and rewards: Normal, Heroic, and Mythic. Both Heroic and Mythic difficulties are only available to players at level 110, and you aren’t able to queue for Mythic difficulty via the Dungeon Finder.

Keys of Stone
    Starting on September 20, the first time you complete a Mythic dungeon each week, you’ll be rewarded with a Mythic Keystone for a specific dungeon, chosen randomly from among all Mythic dungeons to which you have access. Your very first Keystone will enable access to Mythic Level 2, offering both increased difficulty and rewards.

We Move Swiftly
    To activate your Mythic Keystone, assemble a team of five stalwart heroes, venture to the specified Mythic dungeon, and place the Keystone into the Font of Power just inside. If you don’t interact with the Font, the dungeon will operate in its default Mythic state.

When players activate a Mythic Keystone, a timer begins counting down, and the group has a fixed amount of time to defeat the dungeon’s bosses and a majority of the other enemy forces within the dungeon. Players who are familiar with Challenge Mode dungeons will find that this timer is quite forgiving—its purpose is not to encourage speed runs, but rather to provide a gauge for a well-executed run. Whether or not you beat the time, a chest containing a couple of pieces of loot awaits you at the end of your run.

If you successfully beat the time, your Keystone will be upgraded to a higher level and attuned to a new random dungeon. If you don’t beat the time, your Mythic Keystone is “depleted.” A depleted Keystone can be used to try to beat the timer in the hopes of getting a fresh upgraded Keystone, but runs started with a depleted Keystone will not award loot.

Increasing Challenges
    With each increasing level of Mythic difficulty, the health and damage of enemies will increase. In addition, at Levels 4, 7, and 10, new modifiers are introduced that will require players to adapt and evolve to succeed.

Example Keystone modifiers include:

• Raging—Non-boss enemies enrage at 30% health remaining, dealing 100% increased damage until defeated.
    • Bolstering—When any non-boss enemy dies, its death cry empowers nearby allies, increasing their maximum health and damage by 20%.
    • Skittish—Enemies pay far less attention to threat generated by tanks.
    • Volcanic—While in combat, enemies periodically cause gouts of flame to erupt beneath the feet of distant players.

These modifiers are visible on each Mythic Keystone, and all Keystones of the appropriate level will have the same modifiers during a given week.

Mythic Keystone Rewards
    While creatures do not drop loot normally during a Mythic Keystone run, upon completion of the run, players will find a chest containing two high-quality items for the party. The base item level of these rewards starts at item level 845 for Mythic Level 2, and goes all the way up to item level 865 for a Mythic Level 10.

Please note: the end-of-dungeon reward quality will be capped at a base item level of 850 during the first week of the feature’s availability, with the full range of rewards unlocking once Mythic raids have opened the following week.

Like most end-game loot in Legion, these items also have a chance to be Warforged or Titanforged, allowing them to potentially scale all the way up to item level 895.

After completing any Mythic Keystone dungeon within the time limit (whether using your own Keystone or someone else’s), a reward chest will be available in your Class Hall the following week. That chest contains a guaranteed piece of gear with a power level reflecting the highest Mythic level you completed during the prior week, up to a maximum of item level 880 for a successful Mythic Level 10 clear. It will also contain a new Mythic Keystone for you, which allows you to jump right back into your weekly Mythic dungeon adventures.

Get Ready
    Mythic Keystones will start dropping on September 20. Are you prepared?

Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
    • Decay - All players lose 1% of their max health every 2 sec while the challenge is active.
    • Skittish - Enemies pay far less attention to threat generated by tanks.
    • Volcanic - While in combat, enemies periodically cause gouts of flame to erupt beneath the feet of distant players.
    • Necrotic - All enemies' melee attacks apply a stacking blight that inflicts damage over time and reduces healing received.
    • Teeming - Additional non-boss enemies are present throughout the dungeon.
    • Raging - Non-boss enemies enrage at 30% health remaining, dealing 100% increased damage until defeated.
    • Bolstering - When any non-boss enemy dies, its death cry empowers nearby allies, increasing their maximum health and damage by 20%.
    • Tyrannical - Boss enemies have 50% more health and inflict up to 30% increased damage.
    Last edited by Elysia; 2017-05-03 at 05:05 AM.

Uh, Patch 7.1 hotfixes?

Has anyone used Essence Swapper since this fix. Not entirely clear if they mean first time Hati is summoned after this fix or each time you log in. Since the item has thus far been irreversible once used it's an important distinction since there is no warning in the tooltip. And yes I know you can use it repeatedly on new pets. The issue that wasn't being addressed was the ability to go back to the color changing wolf since it isn't actually available to tame with those skin colors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ejpaints View Post
    Has anyone used Essence Swapper since this fix. Not entirely clear if they mean first time Hati is summoned after this fix or each time you log in. Since the item has thus far been irreversible once used it's an important distinction since there is no warning in the tooltip. And yes I know you can use it repeatedly on new pets. The issue that wasn't being addressed was the ability to go back to the color changing wolf since it isn't actually available to tame with those skin colors.
    I used it again after login. Hati reset to default skin, then once I used the Essence Swapper again s/he was stuck with the new skin, even after dismissal / log off. So I guess its a one time thing, which is annoying, I'd like to be able to use the default skin on occasion!

YES! Finally an AoE nerf to WW and Havoc incoming. Hopefully no more 2 mil burst in Mythics.
    Hope they nerf more than just Fel Barrage and Strike of the windlord though. Fel Rush and Fists of Fury needs to get nerfed aswell.
    Last edited by Christhammer; 2016-09-15 at 05:53 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christhammer View Post
    YES! Finally an AoE nerf to WW and Havoc incoming. Hopefully no more 2 mil burst in Mythics.
    Hope they nerf more than just Fel Barrage and Strike of the windlord though. Fel Rush and Fists of Fury needs to get nerfed aswell.
    By "Mythics" I am assuming you play PvE. I also assume that you are one of the people that cry their heart out when their class isn't at the top?

Quote Originally Posted by sarrond View Post
    I used it again after login. Hati reset to default skin, then once I used the Essence Swapper again s/he was stuck with the new skin, even after dismissal / log off. So I guess its a one time thing, which is annoying, I'd like to be able to use the default skin on occasion!
    Well hopefully they fix that eventually but thanks for sharing the results of your test. I've put it in my bank for now as the novelty of running around with Skoll & his brother hasn't worn off for me just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CParker1987 View Post
    By "Mythics" I am assuming you play PvE. I also assume that you are one of the people that cry their heart out when their class isn't at the top?
    Of course i play PvE.

No, i like specs that are middle of the pack.
    Judging by your picture, you play Monk. Probably why you are crying right now since they are about to get nerfed. Hopefully alot because i have never seen anything like it.

I will never understand why people call for nerfs rather than buffs to their/other classes to bring them in line

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknownuser View Post
    I will never understand why people call for nerfs rather than buffs to their/other classes to bring them in line
    Because the result is the same and if their aoe is to high they might actually be doing more dmg than intended for the content meaning it makes it easier than it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by ejpaints View Post
    I haven't used the Essence Swapper because I cannot get Seabound Mystics to magically appear so I can finish the GD quest. Area is phased and nothing anyone (even GMs!!) has suggested to try (realm-hopping, logging in/out, entering dungeon/exiting, waiting for hour to change) has worked. Been trying for about a week. At this point, I'm about ready to try saying "Seabound Mystic" 3 times in the bathroom mirror, and maybe Bloody Mary can bring some Mystics with her.

Quote Originally Posted by splatomat View Post
    I haven't used the Essence Swapper because I cannot get Seabound Mystics to magically appear so I can finish the GD quest. Area is phased and nothing anyone (even GMs!!) has suggested to try (realm-hopping, logging in/out, entering dungeon/exiting, waiting for hour to change) has worked. Been trying for about a week. At this point, I'm about ready to try saying "Seabound Mystic" 3 times in the bathroom mirror, and maybe Bloody Mary can bring some Mystics with her.
    How far have you quested through the zone? I did it the first week & they were everywhere for me, but I also completed the entire loremaster chieve in the zone while I was leveling.

As long as they just change the area of effect rather than the damage I will be fine with the change. Based on Single target I think Monk is fine, but the artifact weapon hits too wide IMO and maybe fists of heaven too.

At least arms isn't getting nerfed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

Deleted
    blizzard revamps the pvp system, and before even the first patch basically break it, and then give some shitty response in how to justify the change, i feel sorry for pvpers last expansion was ashran and this expansion basically a prestige system that doesnt give any incentive to prestige, the items ou get from leveling up are shit incomparison to pve items, 1 dungeon nets more AP than what pvp gives you

No class balance tunings? Oh boy this is going to start a crapstorm.

7+ Year Old Account
    Of course i play PvE.

No, i like specs that are middle of the pack.
    Judging by your picture, you play Monk. Probably why you are crying right now since they are about to get nerfed. Hopefully alot because i have never seen anything like it.
    I do play monk but im MW so I could care less... I just thought it was funny cause if it makes the fight faster, why you cryin?

I do play monk but im MW so I could care less... I just thought it was funny cause if it makes the fight faster, why you cryin?
    People really have a fucked up mentality that everything should be nerfed well before buffs on other classes. It's PvE people, the shit you change now will heavily effect future content. And then buffs or nerfs will happen again because of wild changes. Blizzard really hates buffing things I've seen, and that's pretty sad.

Deleted
    Blizzard: We completely redesigned classes. Now we are making boss encounters. We have no freakin idea if the encounters are even doable with the current classes but if they aren't we will look into hotfixing them.
    Uhh.
    Naoki Yoshida wouldn't even let guys like these fetch his coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknownuser View Post

I'm quite happy to have underperforming classes that aren't my own buffed, or to have mine not at the top. You can't just buff everyone up to the same level when something is massively overperforming though, because then it causes everyone to be overpowered compared to the content, not each other, making the content easier than it is supposed to be. The point isn't necesarilly that WW/Havoc is more powerful than everyone else (although that is part of it), but that the nerfs are coming in because they're not supposed to be that much more powerful than the current content, they're supposed to excel in those areas, just not that much.
    Last edited by elvor0; 2016-09-15 at 08:37 PM.