Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Anyone else worried that Legion will just be a major time gated expansion?

I personally do not believe that Legion will have more content than previous expansions, and I feel like the beginning of the xpac is very telling of the rest of it.

World quests are just dailies with some better rewards (for now, the rewards will become eh soon), heroic dungeons now have a weekly lockout (mythic = heroic, mythic + = mythic this expansion), drawn out garrison class quests (not that bad, but it's a major time gate, would have preferred "clear all dungeons" or something), and they've shown they are planning on releasing raids more spread out, but it's clear they aren't planning on doing "more" raiding content, just more spread out. It's like taking HFC, splitting the bosses into 3 groups, then releasing 1/3rd at a time every 2 months.

It's clever to keep people playing the game, but without MORE content, it will end up feeling exactly the same, perhaps even worse because we have less bosses to clear weekly.

Why can't Blizzard just make MORE content, rather than resorting to extreme levels of time gating to keep people subbed?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Semune View Post
    I personally do not believe that Legion will have more content than previous expansions, and I feel like the beginning of the xpac is very telling of the rest of it.

World quests are just dailies with some better rewards (for now, the rewards will become eh soon), heroic dungeons now have a weekly lockout (mythic = heroic, mythic + = mythic this expansion), drawn out garrison class quests (not that bad, but it's a major time gate, would have preferred "clear all dungeons" or something), and they've shown they are planning on releasing raids more spread out, but it's clear they aren't planning on doing "more" raiding content, just more spread out. It's like taking HFC, splitting the bosses into 3 groups, then releasing 1/3rd at a time every 2 months.

It's clever to keep people playing the game, but without MORE content, it will end up feeling exactly the same, perhaps even worse because we have less bosses to clear weekly.

Why can't Blizzard just make MORE content, rather than resorting to extreme levels of time gating to keep people subbed?
    Why can't you just stop making stupid posts would be the better question.

You can't ever make enough content as a game designer, things that took you 2 months to design, build and get into the game can be rushed trough by the player base in a matter of a day. A good example would be Surumar, that place might have taken the team months to design but I finished the story line in a matter of hours before I had to wait for the next part.
    If you don't time gate anything in an MMO the player base will rush trough the content you created in a matter of weeks instead of years which it took them to create it.

And before you say "well, they should hire more people then, they make enough money". It doesn't matter how many people they put on it.

And before you say "they did it in vanilla". No they diden't. They made the leveling EXTREMLY slow which is also a form of gating and we were all new to the experience, I still stopped and smelled the roses, I stood in IF and talk to people for 3 hours while riding around in circles. Most of us don't do these things anymore. If they gated the leveling now their would be an uproar, I would uninstall right away. People have been playing this game for 12 years, you can't really make things "new and exciting" as we already seen everything in one form or another and even if its "new" it takes us less time to experience it as we have been playing for so long.

Posts like this are really tiring at this stage, its like this is all being typed up by a 12 year old with no experience in any business or just in Life for that matter.

Edit:
    Also from what we got in WoD to what we are being handed in Legion id say that is a big step up already, maybe actually look at the positives for once instead of taking a dump on everything the whole time.

Guess we will see, when the stuff actually comes out, but I dont think that there is much to worry about for the next couple of month.
    Raid content seems to come out at the same rate as other expansions (7 boss raid, followed by 3 boss raid, followed by 10 boss raid for the first "tier" similiar to MoP and Draenor). Both of these expansions raid content felt fine for the first tier.
    There is a giant dungeon coming out in the next twoish month (its on the ptr already), which is more than we got dungeon wise in a really long time.
    They mentioned to continue the world content story in 7.1 - we have yet to see if this is better than 6.1, but chances are it will be. It will probably not be able to compete with 5.1 world content.

So content wise all 3 areas seem to be fine till the 10 man raid is out. Will there be more content after that? Who knows. Nothing has really been announced yet. 7.1 is a good sign that it might be. WoD makes me worry it might not be. But thats really speculation.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

10+ Year Old Account
    The obsession with moaning about time gating like it's something new to WoW or MMOs in general this expansion so far is getting tiresome. It's like you can't think of anything more obvious to complain about so the anti-WoW train has just hopped on this one?

Time gating of content has always been a thing in WoW. There are arguments for and against it, both from the player's and dev's point of view, but either way it's not like this is something new and suddenly a big major fault of Legion.

Daily hubs have been time gated for a long time. Some of the very first daily hubs, like the Isle of Quel'Danis, were time gated with more quests and dailies and parts of the island opening over time. Tournament dailies were gated. Molten Front was gated, Pandaria dailies were gated, the WoD Garrison was gated. WotLK even had horribly gated raids - do people forget that TotC unlocked ONE boss per week when it came out? Or ICC unlocked one wing at a time, with a several week gap between Wing 1 and Wing 2 over the holiday period? Sunwell bosses were gated and released in waves too.

Regardless whether you think any gating of content is a good or bad thing, it's been a thing since forever, it's so weird that everyone is using it as "Legion's big flaw" :P
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Blizzard can't make content faster than people consume it, it's just impossible. It's like movies that take months or even years to produce and you watch them for 2 hours and are done with them, or books that take years to be written while you can read them in weeks time.

If they don't gate content, most people will just consume it within few weeks and then be left with nothing to do = unsubbing. Blizzard wants people to be subbed, so they would rather have you play for 3 months, 2 hours a day than for 10 hours a day for a week. They know their playerbase, and they know that if they don't gate content, players will just rush it, like they always did.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post

You can't ever make enough content as a game designer, things that took you 2 months to design, build and get into the game can be rushed trough by the player base in a matter of a day. A good example would be Surumar, that place might have taken the team months to design but I finished the story line in a matter of hours before I had to wait for the next part.
    If you don't time gate anything in an MMO the player base will rush trough the content you created in a matter of weeks instead of years which it took them to create it.

And before you say "well, they should hire more people then, they make enough money". It doesn't matter how many people they put on it.

And before you say "they did it in vanilla". No they diden't. They made the leveling EXTREMLY slow which is also a form of gating and we were all new to the experience, I still stopped and smelled the roses, I stood in IF and talk to people for 3 hours while riding around in circles. Most of us don't do these things anymore. If they gated the leveling now their would be an uproar, I would uninstall right away. People have been playing this game for 12 years, you can't really make things "new and exciting" as we already seen everything in one form or another and even if its "new" it takes us less time to experience it as we have been playing for so long.

Posts like this are really tiring at this stage, its like this is all being typed up by a 12 year old with no experience in any business or just in Life for that matter.

Edit:
    Also from what we got in WoD to what we are being handed in Legion id say that is a big step up already, maybe actually look at the positives for once instead of taking a dump on everything the whole time.
    I don't think you even played vanilla, you joined MMO-champion in... 2014. This site is generally the go-to for WoW stuff.

Content was fast and furious then, same with TBC. I can assure you that before WoD and pandaland the content was much better... well, and cata, you joined at a time where you didn't really get to experience the game when it had a ton of content. You can argue that there would be more bugs, but I don't mind bugs if it means more things to do. Didn't mind it in Vanilla/BC.

Deleted
    I don't think you even played vanilla, you joined MMO-champion in... 2014. This site is generally the go-to for WoW stuff.

Content was fast and furious then, same with TBC. I can assure you that before WoD and pandaland the content was much better... well, and cata, you joined at a time where you didn't really get to experience the game when it had a ton of content. You can argue that there would be more bugs, but I don't mind bugs if it means more things to do. Didn't mind it in Vanilla/BC.
    I joined the game Feb 28 2005. Good try though trying to make me look bad if you have no counter arguments to make.
    And I can assure you the game has been the same gated game since the start, guess you just started having an issue with it.

10+ Year Old Account

Everything taking ages was not more content.

I think some time gating is fine, if it's just a week or two. It becomes ridiculous when you have to wait years for the next part of the quest (looking at you The Secret World).

Deleted
    It wasn't back then. Think the first "major" websites where Allakhazam and Thottbot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfield View Post
    It wasn't back then. Think the first "major" websites where Allakhazam and Thottbot.
    Thottbot, the buggiest website I was ever forced to use :P

Look at the beauty: http://www.thottbot.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Thottbot, the buggiest website I was ever forced to use :P

Look at the beauty: http://www.thottbot.com/
    Holy shit i cant believe its still around. I had so much trouble trying to read that damn site. Thank god I found Wowhead lol

10+ Year Old Account

It took them years to make the base of WoW. Content was gated through attunements. Leveling wasn't fast, since stats were important to consider when killing mobs, health and DPS (they borrowed this concept from other MMOs). I also recall a larger aggro radius.

Also, Thottbot and Alakhazaam were the first datamining sites. MMO-Champ had assimilated with another site somewhere around WotLK.
    Last edited by Polybius; 2016-09-16 at 09:12 AM.

Edit:
    Ill agree that things created over a month can be rushed in 1-2 days by players.

Thing is a raid shouldn't take them as long to create anymore. They just focus so much on how balanced fights are etc etc, which alright means quality, although I'd love to see old blizzard going off releasing something really imbalanced and fixing it gradually. Most of vanilla content was like that. Who will forget the race between Nihilum and DnT when bosses in Naxx were bugged and getting hotfixed live etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Holy shit i cant believe its still around. I had so much trouble trying to read that damn site. Thank god I found Wowhead lol
    I think wowhead came out like end of 2006 or something? I switched to that as soon as I found out as well :P.

Deleted
    I think wowhead came out like end of 2006 or something? I switched to that as soon as I found out as well :P.
    It was already around in 2005 as a talent calculator, but the database was added during the summer of 2006.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post
    Ill agree that things created over a month can be rushed in 1-2 days by players.

Thing is a raid shouldn't take them as long to create anymore. They just focus so much on how balanced fights are etc etc, which alright means quality, although I'd love to see old blizzard going off releasing something really imbalanced and fixing it gradually. Most of vanilla content was like that. Who will forget the race between Nihilum and DnT when bosses in Naxx were bugged and getting hotfixed live etc.
    I was running a guild back in Vanilla raiding 6 days a week, had server firsts from ZG all the way up to Naxx.
    It was gated to FUCK, there was no way in hell we could actually kill things in BWL without farming MC and Onyxia first.
    Like I said, this game has been time gated since the first day it came out its just more obvious now as a lot of us have been playing for 12 years.

If MC/BWL/AQ came out today they would be done in a matter of days - All fights are mostly Tank & Spank and tactics are really fucking easy compared to what we have now.

I have been quite busy with this expansion and I miss a ton of things, I don't see how you can have less things to do than previous expansions.

World quests are just dailies with some better rewards (for now, the rewards will become eh soon)
    Yes, dailies with more diversity and more time to do them, you don't feel that you get that much behind if you can't play for a few days like old dailies. It's better than old fashioned dailies. AP gains will go up so they will still be attractive later.

heroic dungeons now have a weekly lockout (mythic = heroic, mythic + = mythic this expansion)
    I don't agree, it's more like :
    WoD Heroic => Legion Heroic
    WoD Mythic => Legion Mythic
    WoD CM = > Legion Mythic+

drawn out garrison class quests (not that bad, but it's a major time gate, would have preferred "clear all dungeons" or something)
    If it was only "clear" all dungeons, you would be whinning that it was done easily and that it doesn't offer any content anymore. Time gate isn't a problem if it doesn't block major content or advantages.

and they've shown they are planning on releasing raids more spread out, but it's clear they aren't planning on doing "more" raiding content, just more spread out. It's like taking HFC, splitting the bosses into 3 groups, then releasing 1/3rd at a time every 2 months.
    Nope, it's more like, waiting a few month before releasing BRF (let's say 2 month) and then waiting again before releasing HFC (let's say 3 month) so it would be like releasing HFC in dec 2015/january 2016 and the tier wouldnt last 13 month.

Well, the point is to make people enjoy playing the game, not making as much content as possible and seeing who can keep up (see korean mmos).

Having more content doesn't mean it's a better game.
    Last edited by ThunderTaco; 2016-09-16 at 09:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally do not believe that Legion will have more content than previous expansions, ----------
    and I feel like the beginning of the xpac is very telling of the rest of it.It's like taking HFC, splitting the bosses into 3 groups, then releasing 1/3rd at a time every 2 months.
    pretty much agree, sort of, but time gating has been around a long time, in BC it was sunwell, wotlk it was icc, etc...
    add in time gating actual content releases/patches, even further time gating expansions.
    it's something every game has done to a point, to extend content.

as far as what they've done initially? they are releasing raids so far back from xpack release, i believe, so more guilds hit that 850 softcap, possibly get multiple legendaries, etc...
    it may just be a beginning of the expansion thing, so more guilds can compete for world first, to get those guilds who do compete for top10, even top100, all on an even footing,

whether legion has more or less is up to grabs, unless you look at historical data with previous xpacks, then, likely it will have less.
    what i'm more annoyed at is end of xpack content droughts lasting a year, every single time...blizz says they will try to fix / not do/ etc...and do it faster....but it doesn't happen.

on the plus side, xpack release servers were better than before, i can agree completely with them there, but whether that's less people logging in (more people waiting a week for servers to stabilize) or something they actually did right on their end, is up for grabs, possibly, a bit of both.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

What the hell does his join date to MMO champ have to do with anything? :P

I joined MMO champ really recently and I've been playing since 05...

Playing similar number of hours per day (3 to 5 depending), in WoD I completed all zones and started doing apexi dailies everyday with friends (which were quite fun the first few times, mostly because of bringing all the people I could from my bnet), in about 1 week or 1 week and a half from launch. After that I was already tired of the dailies, only doing the off CM for the daily quest, at most the off random heroic or stocking up work orders every few days, leveling alts or intentionally finding things to do through achievements or so.

In Legion it's been nearly two and a half weeks, I have completed the leveling zones but not Suramar yet (not waiting on any gate, just didn't go through it yet), still only near the end of my class campaign, haven't seen all dungeons in Heroic/Mythic yet, barely had time to look at the achievements yet. Haven't touched a single alt yet. Still got a lot to get from Mythics and World Quests, not to mention plenty of reputation to aquire still.

Sure, Legion has more gating. But waiting 2 or 3 days to be able to continue a major questline is not that bad, really. Gating also allows better pacing, which was quite bad in WoD. I would've much rather spend a couple more months in Highmaul and a couple more in BRF (both raids my group never really got to "farm" on Heroic, we killed Heroic Blackhand 2 or 3 weeks before HFC released) if that meant spending 2 to 6 months less in HFC. WoD missed a lot of things, but mostly it had a pretty bad pacing.

But your comment is just wrong, because while it might have more gating, it's also nearly impossible to say it doesn't have more content. I'm pretty sure by 7.1 Legion will have about as much (or more) content as the entirety of WoD. And most significantly, it's better/higher quality and better rewarding content.

But I guess we'll have to wait and see - so far it defenitely feels 7.0 has a lot more to offer than 6.0. In WoD I didn't play too much but felt I was ahead of the pack. In Legion I always feel there's so much left to do and that I'm slacking behind those who play a lot everyday (not saying that's a bad thing, just that it certainly feels there's a lot more content to do).
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-09-16 at 09:48 AM.