Page 1 of 3
LastLast

7.1 Karazhan Spoiler Discussion

Welp, it looks like Medivh is back.

He helps us clearing the tower and calls Khadgar "Young Trust" again. Blizz is making so many TLG references this expack and it's awesome.

Also he has a new model, along with Magni (EPIC) but I think the new model is for the Shade encounter? I wonder if they will give the real one an older model with similar attire from Warcraft 3. He says his path leads elsewhere, so don't really see him tagging along with us later.

Also Khadgar's voice over is out too that links with Medivh if you want to check out.

Finally confirmation of the obvious, Khadgar is the Gaurdian, and if anyone's word is law it would be that of Medivh.

I've always been confused with Medivh's whereabouts following WC3. He clearly wasn't in Karazhan, and he had no reason to die off-screen. Whatever happened to him?
    Also, why update Magni?

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I've always been confused with Medivh's whereabouts following WC3. He clearly wasn't in Karazhan, and he had no reason to die off-screen. Whatever happened to him?
    Also, why update Magni?
    new dwarf model and maybe a bigger storyline for him ahead? ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Magni's current model is kind of weird and seems like it has some texture issues - they probably updated him to address that and polish him up if he's got an extended role.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienshroom View Post
    Finally confirmation of the obvious, Khadgar is the Gaurdian, and if anyone's word is law it would be that of Medivh.
    Nice headcanon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Avell View Post
    Nice headcanon.
    I wouldn't call it "headcanon" straight up - Khadgar is Azeroth's de-facto Guardian even if he hasn't gone through the ceremony to formally anoint him (and given his feelings on that matter likely never will). I think Medivh is trying to say just that: that acting to safeguard Azeroth above petty politics or personal vendettas is what the Guardian truly is, not the power of the Tirisfal or any kind of ceremony.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Alienshroom View Post
    Eh, not officially. Khadgar isn't a Guardian, Medivh just happened to call him one because of his courage and... stuf I guess? So it is just a nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    He clearly wasn't in Karazhan, and he had no reason to die off-screen. Whatever happened to him?
    Did you listen to the voice over?

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I wouldn't call it "headcanon" straight up - Khadgar is Azeroth's de-facto Guardian even if he hasn't gone through the ceremony to formally anoint him (and given his feelings on that matter likely never will). I think Medivh is trying to say just that: that acting to safeguard Azeroth above petty politics or personal vendettas is what the Guardian truly is, not the power of the Tirisfal or any kind of ceremony.
    Then everyone is a guardian. A guardian the post you quoted was talking about is specifically the guardian of tirisfal which Khadgar is not one.

I think what Medivh tried to imply there was just "guardian" not "Guardian of Tirisfal".

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Then everyone is a guardian. A guardian the post you quoted was talking about is specifically the guardian of tirisfal which Khadgar is not one.
    I would disagree. Khadgar has been instrumental in trying to unite Azeroth against the Legion - putting aside factional concerns, rallying the Kirin Tor, making Dalaran the spearhead and opening it to the Horde and the Alliance, and leading the charge against the Legion proper instead of being mired in politics. He's the face of the Legion war-effort, not us. I can't be 100% sure what Medivh's actual words mean until I play the content myself and see what the context of it will be, but taking what we already know and what Khadgar has already said I feel pretty confident in my take on it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Please don't get all triggered over retcons here. Yes, OK, Medivh as The Prophet told us at the end of W3: Reign of Chaos that "Everyone is a guardian." Now he's speaking to his old apprentice, who has matured into something great, the Legion has in fact come back and times have changed. While he may not be specially talking about the of position the Guardian of Tirisfal, clearly Blizzard has been building Khadgar into something greater than random peon who says "Me not that kind of orc" when poked.

ha! i called this years and years ago. I said if the legion ever returns, so will medivh. Im sure hes just back as that...presence...more than a lore figure we'll really follow, but hes still my favorite lore character and that makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by My User Name View Post
    Eh, not officially. Khadgar isn't a Guardian, Medivh just happened to call him one because of his courage and... stuf I guess? So it is just a nickname.

Did you listen to the voice over?
    No I didn't. I don't want to. If he explains it then I'll just find out for myself.

yea, thats why Medivh was considered "the last guardian". He never liked the idea of them and even said at one point:

The roots will heal in time... as will the entire world. The sacrifices have been made. Just as the orcs, humans, and night elves discarded their old hatreds and stood united against a common foe, so did Nature herself rise up to banish the Shadow...forever. As for me, I came back to ensure that there would be a future, to teach the world that it no longer needed Guardians. The hope for future generations has always resided in mortal hands. And now that my task is done, I will take my place...amongst the legends of the past.

Why are people arguing over Khadgar being/becoming a Guardian when the whole point of his Harbinger episode is that Azeroth needs NO Guardian just like Medivh said, because, because single powerful person isn't enough to stop the Legion anyway, and at worst you get corrupted and fall into the enemies hands. just like Medivh said.

Yes, he did Guardian-esque things like unifying the different factions and the Kirin Tor, but that doesn't make you the Guardian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be nice if he came back and not some other thing he used, and the true Medivh is coming home once again. Hopefully....

Also he needs to stay no matter what.
    For the Horde!

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think the "will he, won't he" aspect of Khadgar's possible Guardianhood is something that's been in the works of Legion since the pre-patch content. You have his Harbingers cinematic where he states his opposition to it - he desires the power of the Guardian but fears the corruption that inflicted Medivh. The spirit of Alodi chastises him for refusing the mantle of Guardian, and now the Echo of Medivh (or Medivh himself) up and straight up names Khadgar as Guardian. Khadgar bears Atiesh, the Greatstaff of the Guardian, and works to safeguard Azeroth from the threat of the Burning Legion.

Lack Investiture or formal appointment regardless he serves the role of Guardian still - and he does so as a simple mortal Archmage, proving Medivh's departing words in WC3 as valid still.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems Blizzard is trying to push the no-single-guardian thing in both game and movie universes.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    Please don't get all triggered over retcons here. Yes, OK, Medivh as The Prophet told us at the end of W3: Reign of Chaos that "Everyone is a guardian." Now he's speaking to his old apprentice, who has matured into something great, the Legion has in fact come back and times have changed. While he may not be specially talking about the of position the Guardian of Tirisfal, clearly Blizzard has been building Khadgar into something greater than random peon who says "Me not that kind of orc" when poked.
    What are you talking about? Nothing to do with my point. I am well aware of Khadgar's significance in the story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I would disagree. Khadgar has been instrumental in trying to unite Azeroth against the Legion - putting aside factional concerns, rallying the Kirin Tor, making Dalaran the spearhead and opening it to the Horde and the Alliance, and leading the charge against the Legion proper instead of being mired in politics. He's the face of the Legion war-effort, not us. I can't be 100% sure what Medivh's actual words mean until I play the content myself and see what the context of it will be, but taking what we already know and what Khadgar has already said I feel pretty confident in my take on it.
    If you are talking about the new meaning of "guardian" then yes, he is. The guardian of tirisfal does not exist anymore. It was Medivh's will to break the cycle. Khadgar is "the guardian" Medivh wanted but he is not the guardian as a position we have known for all these years.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2016-09-17 at 08:19 AM.