Poll: Do you regret maining shadow priest?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    So ... i personally think shadow is fine ... not great but i enjoy it, sure it has its flaws, but i personally had absolutely zero problems while questing.

Now for open world content Sol is just broken. If you have Sol with you, you can easily multidot ~5 mobs and (at least in my opinion its really comfortable).

For dungeons you have to accept that (especially in Heroics) you'll do zero damage on the first group of trash and then you will alternate between a trashgroup where you will do good dps (multidot & void form) and then a group where the dps will be mediocre (as you won't start the fight with 100 Insanity) ... in my opinion using void form when you start a trashfight with 0 Insanity is quite useless (also always keep your Insanity on 100 after the last trash before a boss).
    Singletarget if the fights last a bit longer Shadow is fine too ... if you'll have a 45 second fight your dps will suck compared to classes with burst CDs but if the fight lasts longer its usually fine.

I don't do any PvP so being bad there is something i can't comment on and i also don't care about.

I'd really like to see some Talents reworked and also something that Mind Flay and Sear don't feel so fucking useless. (Which thankfully isn't that much of a problem for me anymore because i got lucky and got the legendary belt)

Deleted
    I think all three specs would be great with a couple of changes.

Shadow: Buff mind sear, make DOTs spread somehow, lower ramp up, and change the 100 talent row. Personally I also hate the gear depedency. People here on mmo-champion usually talk about their 850 item lvl, 24 artifact traits, 45% haste, and how shadow is fine because of single target, but it's a ridicoules notion that you need to play 5 hours a day or spend a ton of gold to be on the level of other classes.

Holy: Buff Heal, renew and PoM. Maybe make flash heal stronger but more mana costly.

Disc: Reduce Shadow Mend spam by making attonement stronger when it's only on 1 target (the tank), for example by having an ability on cooldown that removes all other atonements except your current target. I also think better atonement spread in raids are going to be a big issue. Currently disc is very fun to play when you outgear content a bit, but when you dont the spec does not feel very fluid.

I had originally planned to play demo or unholy this expansion to try something new, but the uniqueness of the priest specs, and the bad design of the demon pet buff, made me stay with my 9 year old main. Unholy was also great, but I didnt want to end up with the 85% of the player base who also decided to play melee this expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post

Shadow: Buff mind sear, make DOTs spread somehow, lower ramp up, and change the 100 talent row. Personally I also hate the gear depedency. People here on mmo-champion usually talk about their 850 item lvl, 24 artifact traits, 45% haste, and how shadow is fine because of single target, but it's a ridicoules notion that you need to play 5 hours a day or spend a ton of gold to be on the level of other classes.
    I personally never had the feeling that i can't compete with other classes because of gear. If you have the same itemlevel as the people who you are playing with and if you play correctly the difference isn't that bad, maybe it is bigger when everyone has 810 than it is when everyone has 850 but it is not that huge (at least in my experience).

A big part however is playing correctly. I was in a group with another shadow and he had Call to the Void as his first golden Trait while i had Mass Hysteria, otherwise our gear was pretty equal i'd say but he did considerably lower Dps (It could be possible he also used Mind Spike ... I'm not sure as it was a week ago or something). I also was in a random Heroic with my Prot Warri and we had a Shadow Priest who just Mind-Sear-AFKed the trash ... i don't think he did more then 80k dps on any trash group, on the bosses he also didn't do very well but after seeing what he did on the trash i did not bother looking into it more.

As a healer, it sucks to be stuck with shadow in the same class as the only option to do quests. Sure I could quest as holy/disc but it is faster as shadow if barely. Please get your shit together, you are a disappointment even compared to the other fail leveling specs (ret/ele).

10+ Year Old Account
    I currently am maining holy but have been keeping up with my shadow artifact. At 870 ilvl on the weapon with Mass Hysteria recently unlocked I can say that that trait took me from struggling to quite competitive. Running in a guild group for mythics and heroics last night my trash dps was easily 1.5x what it was prior to getting the golden trait and my dps was very competitive on bosses. Of course, with a competent guild group I was not 1st or 2nd on to the hunter and enhance I was running with, but being 3rd only by a margin was exciting compared to the bottom barrel dps I was doing before.

I'm not on the "just wait it will get better" train, I do believe that shadow needs some serious help, but I am leaning to hopping on the "its not as bad as all the hype" train.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by royals View Post
    I currently am maining holy but have been keeping up with my shadow artifact. At 870 ilvl on the weapon with Mass Hysteria recently unlocked I can say that that trait took me from struggling to quite competitive. Running in a guild group for mythics and heroics last night my trash dps was easily 1.5x what it was prior to getting the golden trait and my dps was very competitive on bosses. Of course, with a competent guild group I was not 1st or 2nd on to the hunter and enhance I was running with, but being 3rd only by a margin was exciting compared to the bottom barrel dps I was doing before.

I'm not on the "just wait it will get better" train, I do believe that shadow needs some serious help, but I am leaning to hopping on the "its not as bad as all the hype" train.
    There people are either unskilled or low geared. Hunters especially have very good AOE and you being so little behind them means they are doing something wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    Wow. Quite a departure from you previous "shadow is great - you're doing it wrong" posts if I may say so and thank you for posting it instead of just silently switching classes.

Sometimes I wish priest players in general would behave more like warlock players - at least they managed to get Blizzard's attention and even get some QoL changes.
    I dont think shadow suffers too much. But where it does suffer is pretty annoying. Having leveled enhancement and my girl playing vengeance, the disparity between shadow and most other specs is a bit rediculous. And for no good reason. It isnt like shadow is extremely good at one thing. Its good at some and horrible at others. I dont see why, I as a player, would want such a spec when other classes can do more better. It had its moment but and i did try and defend it but the things i enjoy doing shadow cant provide for me. The spec is stressful in a bad way atm.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestionsQuestions View Post
    There people are either unskilled or low geared. Hunters especially have very good AOE and you being so little behind them means they are doing something wrong.
    Was talking about boss dps, on trash we always get wrecked, this is the way things are currently. On bosses, with Mass Hysteria, I'm indicating that I could keep up, but not beat either. We all know our AOE is terrible.

spriest was the first toon I leveled in 2 days once expansion dropped. I love my priest but had to reroll right away. There are too many problems with the class right now sadly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Who cares about little adds in raids that die easily? Fucking 1 tick of mind sear them for tof proc and go to town doods. If anything they help.

I'm sorry, I had to post. I just disagree with those things sooooo hard.

Pros
    • Probably the most unique, fun and interesting mechanic blizzard has ever introduced - insanity.
    • S2M is fun and engaging.
    • We are related to old gods even more than before

Also, called this as soon as the class changes were announced.

Cons
    • Worst ramp-up damage in the game
    I've played a Shadow Priest for forever, but I jumped ship as soon as the class changes were announced. I'm glad I did, but also extremely sad. I want to play Shadow so badly, but I feel like it's such a boring spec now, and I hate the new 'class fantasy' with a passion.

Definitely not the worst spec in 1v1. I win most 1v1s. You definitely need the +50% hp during dispersion Artifact trait though.

I'm really disappointed with class balance in general this expansion. The forums will be a mess next week when Mythic+ gets released and all these specs get auto-declined.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Who cares about little adds in raids that die easily? Fucking 1 tick of mind sear them for tof proc and go to town doods. If anything they help.
    In raids you probably have enough other classes to deal with those adds, which is why shadows probably will do fine in raids.

In mythic+ however things are different because those little adds are often the one threatening the tank and need to die asap. With a shadow as one of three DPS they won't. And even if they were not that threatening, trash still accounts for 70%+ of a dungeon. And it is not like shadows outclass others on dungeon bosses so you don't want to bring the because of that. So I kind of expect shadows to be benched for 5-man content - again.

I'm maining Disc, but SP in our guild already informed our GM that she is switching main, probably to Demon Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    Definitely not the worst spec in 1v1. I win most 1v1s. You definitely need the +50% hp during dispersion Artifact trait though.
    If you win most 1v1 as shadow you are playing against bad people.
    Would help if you said what specs you win vs, because it is one of the worst 1v1 classes right now. I have won vs a rogue alone in bgs, but that is only under very special circumstances. If i get to open, he doesnt trinket or cloak, if i have 100 insanity and all cds. But even then, any decent rogue would win. I can't really think of any spec we can win vs easily 1v1, our ramp up is just way too high for it and most classes have huge damage on demand. If we start at 100 insanity we have a better chance, but our main issue is our non existant mobility, every single spec can kite us
    Dont get me wrong, not complaining about our ability to 1v1 since we have been bad at that since the start. Our 1v1 issues are also why we are terrible in 2v2.
    In 3v3 we might be the best caster, however. Even without our life grip (rip) we still have great utility, strong offheals etc.

Deleted
    I think Shadow feels fantastic, especially after that Clarity of Power incident in WOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post

Holy: Buff Heal, renew and PoM. Maybe make flash heal stronger but more mana costly.

Disc: Reduce Shadow Mend spam by making attonement stronger when it's only on 1 target (the tank), for example by having an ability on cooldown that removes all other atonements except your current target. I also think better atonement spread in raids are going to be a big issue. Currently disc is very fun to play when you outgear content a bit, but when you dont the spec does not feel very fluid.

I had originally planned to play demo or unholy this expansion to try something new, but the uniqueness of the priest specs, and the bad design of the demon pet buff, made me stay with my 9 year old main. Unholy was also great, but I didnt want to end up with the 85% of the player base who also decided to play melee this expansion.
    tbh for shadow.. add something to LotV to make it better, and make some of the pvp talents baseline would be a perfect fix to shadow for me

initiation, edge of insanity, void origins I feel should be mixed into legacy of the void,
    mind trauma(at least the mind sear component) I feel should be baseline for shadow

holy feels fine to me, only things that might need a buff are renew and PoM, flash heal and heal are fine
    holy could use something more tank healing designed other than our giant heal, but that might give holys toolkit to much

.. i would actually rather PoH have its range boosted a few yards, 20 is to small

Quote Originally Posted by ginfleth View Post
    I think Shadow feels fantastic, especially after that Clarity of Power incident in WOD.
    What incident? The "oh lookie the _pseudo_damage_dealer_spec_ suddenly is as good as a mage and is a completely viable choice for every possible scenario?", that one?

I sometimes like really fail to understand people. Hey, we're shit again, hurray!
    Last edited by l33t; 2016-09-17 at 10:09 AM.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ginfleth View Post
    I am playing my Priest basically since Vanilla, and to me, Shadow hasn't felt as bad as it does now in years. Not even talking about pure numbers, it's just not really fun.
    Luckily, Disc and Holy are - since rerolling another main is not an option for me.