Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Anyone else feels that mage is clunky?

I've tried playing my mage but it feels so clunky to play what with having to play with RoP. RoP just sucks the fun out of the class in my opinion.

Is anyone else feeling the same?

Deleted
    Yeah, I feel the same way.

Deleted
    feels fine to me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomi View Post
    I've tried playing my mage but it feels so clunky to play what with having to play with RoP. RoP just sucks the fun out of the class in my opinion.

I'm not sure what the DPS difference is between RoP and Incanters Flow but I believe both are currently viable options. I really like being able to drop a RoP, pop Arcane Power and blow something up with Mark of Aluneth.

I personally have been enjoying Arcane more than any other class, and more than previous expansions. My only gripes are that Vers/Crit are the top stats by far. These 2 sec cast times are getting on my nerves.

RoP is good for burning/bursting phases, it's recharge is decent and the circle extends further then the graphic does so you can usually hover around the area and get the buff still whilst dodging small AoE abilities.

Incanters Flow is still good just try to use cds procs and burst while at top stacks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rune of Power is the far superior talent, because of the fact that you can stack CDs and burst extremely hard. IF is nowhere even remotely close to being RoP's equal. Also, I don't see how one spell that requires you to stay in one small area feels clunky. You have a long window of opportunity to pop it while the second charge is recharging. It really can't get any more simple
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

RoP is at a perfect spot IMO. Limits mobility but increases burst by 50%. It only lasts 10 seconds as opposed to the 3 mins in MoP/WoD and gives a larger increase in damage. I've played mage since Cata and this is the best it's felt for me since SoO when snapshotting existed.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like it honestly. No longer a permanent thing, and actually pretty cool. Cast while moving with Icy Floes or whatever it's called, then burst.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about fire or arcane, but frost is a hell of a lot of fun right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dristereau View Post
    No longer a permanent thing, and actually pretty cool.
    Agreed, I like how they reworked it.

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -

Deleted
    What is complicated about ROP? Nothing...its a bit annoying but I wouldn't call that clunky.

Mages are very straightforward

Deleted
    It feels a lot better to me actually, enjoying it more than ever!

I think it's good now too. In WoD it just felt like, unless you're using RoP you lose 20% dps whilst now it actually impacts your gameplay and rewards you for playing it well.

I've always hated ROP, still hate it. It's less hate-worthy in it's current form, but still sucks. You'll be bound and stuck to one spot for 10 seconds every ROP cd. That's what, like 30% of your combat time? Bleh. It's too bad it's pretty much a mandatory talents because of how OP it is when combined with combustion. Wish Blizz would just get rid of the spell.

10+ Year Old Account
    nah its fine to me

RoP is much better now than before.

Do I love it? Nah not really but I accept it

Quote Originally Posted by Noomi View Post

Define "clunky" please. Lots of people use the term to refer to a lot of different things that they don't like because it's the "cool" word to use. It's a poor word because it doesn't actually say anything. What exactly are *you* using it to mean? Please use better adjectives and be more descriptive. Thanks.

Deleted
    I think its not just RoP, but rather the whole feel of the spec. The fact that as a fire mage you have 3 or even 4 filler spells makes the spec feel clunky, the ludicrous amounts of crit that is needed makes it feel clunky and the cookie cutter spec that is needed to be able to preform makes it most things just feel underwhelming.

To me it feels like the spec only works under the conditions of 1. lots of crit and 2. pyretic incantation 3. the cookie cutter talent spec.

That crit is important to a spec is not a problem, that it can not function without it is. Blizzard has been trying, for years, to make fire rely less on crit, but again has failed to make it work properly on lower item levels. Phoenix hits like a wet towel when compared to our main damage dealer and the only reason i really hit that button is because it always crits. It does help a bit with the crit problem, but, it having a 45 second cd makes it not all that useful even if it has 3 charges. Don't get me wrong, it is an important part of our rotation atm, but, they do not feel all that powerful, not when compared to a instant pyro.

Pyretic incantation just is to powerful, there i've said it, it just is. When you have a spec the solely relies on crit to do damage and then give them a "talent" that gives them 25% more damage when they crit for the 6th time in a row is just asking for problems. Especially when you give them the means to have those crits guaranteed. Now they are "fixing" this problem through nerfing combustion, but this only makes combustion feel lacklustre too, without actually fixing the problem at hand. Pyretic incantation has got to go and be replaced with something that will buff the phoenix, imho.

The cookie cutter spec doesn't help either, most talents that deal with damage are no brainers. There is a small difference between single target to AOE, but that is it. It is either to run with this or just be hold back by your talents. Mirror image won't even come close to RoP and incanter's flow just lac's the synergy that RoP has with our other cd's.

Fire is an amazing spec when you have the crit to play it, if you don't have the crit then there just isn't any sort of flow in the spec.

Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    Now they are "fixing" this problem through nerfing combustion
    combustion is not getting nerfed (based on the notes that have been released so far)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    I think its not just RoP, but rather the whole feel of the spec. The fact that as a fire mage you have 3 or even 4 filler spells makes the spec feel clunky, the ludicrous amounts of crit that is needed makes it feel clunky and the cookie cutter spec that is needed to be able to preform makes it most things just feel underwhelming.

To me it feels like the spec only works under the conditions of 1. lots of crit and 2. pyretic incantation 3. the cookie cutter talent spec.

That crit is important to a spec is not a problem, that it can not function without it is. Blizzard has been trying, for years, to make fire rely less on crit, but again has failed to make it work properly on lower item levels. Phoenix hits like a wet towel when compared to our main damage dealer and the only reason i really hit that button is because it always crits. It does help a bit with the crit problem, but, it having a 45 second cd makes it not all that useful even if it has 3 charges. Don't get me wrong, it is an important part of our rotation atm, but, they do not feel all that powerful, not when compared to a instant pyro.

Pyretic incantation just is to powerful, there i've said it, it just is. When you have a spec the solely relies on crit to do damage and then give them a "talent" that gives them 25% more damage when they crit for the 6th time in a row is just asking for problems. Especially when you give them the means to have those crits guaranteed. Now they are "fixing" this problem through nerfing combustion, but this only makes combustion feel lacklustre too, without actually fixing the problem at hand. Pyretic incantation has got to go and be replaced with something that will buff the phoenix, imho.

The cookie cutter spec doesn't help either, most talents that deal with damage are no brainers. There is a small difference between single target to AOE, but that is it. It is either to run with this or just be hold back by your talents. Mirror image won't even come close to RoP and incanter's flow just lac's the synergy that RoP has with our other cd's.

Fire is an amazing spec when you have the crit to play it, if you don't have the crit then there just isn't any sort of flow in the spec.
    A. Combustion is not getting nerfed
    B. PF hits nearly as hard as PB
    C. PI perfectly aligns with the Fire Mage fantasy. Plus, it has nigh perfect synergy with combustion. Which also perfectly aligns with the Fire Mage fantasy: No mortal is powerful enough, to wield such powers for longer periods of time. We need some rest, some time to recharge, after 10 seconds of complete annihilation. Even Khadgar is exhausted afer performing a strong spell.