Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think Monk as a class is pretty versatile when it comes to a race, just as in real world. As westerners we also study Chinese, Korean and Japanese martial arts without embracing their culture as a whole. When I was doing Karate, we used to call everything by it's original Japanese name too. It is not like the phylosophy is in coflict with our national morals or anything.

I play Undead Monk because I like the race and I wanted to heal on other class than a Priest. However when playing a Brewmaster, I play it with an image of crazy Apothecary drinking her Alchemy creations.

I am glad Monks can be almost every race. I have nothing against Pandaren as a race, but I just dislike like how dumb some of their animations look. Some may call it cute, I just find it dumb. It is the model and animations I don't like, same reason why I can't play any Worgen caster (Their casting animations are HORRIBLE).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    All the Pandaren hate in this thread is so gross. The race is actually really well fleshed out and rich in lore if you take the time to not be a complete dick and actually give it a chance.
    I agree completely Serv, but sadly you're asking a lot of WoW's community - especially the toxic, whiny chunk of it that resides here on these forums.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

If monk was panda only I would not play it.

I love Pandas, but no, Monks are better serviced having it open to other races. Tauren monks are the best.

I think DKs and Monks were both over-generous for gameplay reasons.

I suppose if I had to pick lore appropriate Monk races apart from Pandaren... Human and Tauren? Maybe Dwarf and Worgen? Horde races all seem a bit unbalanced for Monks really.

Quote Originally Posted by Heaterz 88 View Post
    all pandaren should be oven'd
    That deeply ovends me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Difference being that the other races didn't get a chance to devour demon hearts and survive a suicidal training regiment to become demon hunters. We killed Illidan before his recruiters got to Ironforge and Kezan.

The Pandaren came of their own accord to teach the other races the way of the monk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darchi
    Thx America for destroying Europe and world and all mess you cause bcs of your selfishness and only thinking abot yourself and of your interest, creating IS, killing in the name of democracy, etc etc...

Deleted
    I need goblin monk!

Pandas are awesome.
    Mistweaver Monk |
    "Those who lead through fear only stay in power while those they govern lack courage." ~ Lorewalker Cho

I think something of the opposite, i think they should remove all panda references and make the class raceless. Remove the asian themed martial arts and use each classes base auto attack animation, and give the abilities less oriental sounding names, along with perhaps glyphs that remove all that 'jade' bullshit.

I really do see your point though.

The class they gave us looks like it was supposed to be pandaren specific, ill concede that, but i think the feel of the class is pretty terrible, it completely ignores all other races monks which is very disapointing. It also undermines all other races form of unarmed martial arts, it could have been a MUCH more interesting class that greatly fleshed out whatever race you played, instead they just make everyone out to be a pandaren wannabe.

I made an orc monk recently, i only play WW (all i want is the martial arts side of it) and i made macros for all abilities with pandas on their icons to change their icons to something without pandas, i also renamed all the abilities to less oriental sounding names like 'kick ass', 'face fist' and 'punchy punchy'. I just pretend hes some fist of the northstar motherfucker and i mog him all mad max style. Not all martial artists are chinese.

i dont mind pandas being considered the 'best' monks, kind of like orcs are considered the best warriors or blood elves are the best mages or draenei the best priests and whathaveyou, i just dont like that they are the only inspiration.

I feel the same about druid. It should be exclusive to male night elf.

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    All the Pandaren hate in this thread is so gross. The race is actually really well fleshed out and rich in lore if you take the time to not be a complete dick and actually give it a chance.
    For me its not a matter of how well fleshed out they are, its more how obnoxious pandaria was, it felt like a holiday from wow till the zandalari turned up (only race that really has ties to anyone else), there wasnt really anything to root me in the place as pandaria was like an entire continent dedicated solely to pandas. pandaria leveling experience was by far my least favorite ever, you couldnt avoid pandas if you tried, they were always the good guys and they were fucking arrogant, constantly talking down to you and you couldnt kill the bastards. It really felt like bad fanfiction till the civil war ramped up.
    I played warcraft III, i met chen there, i dont mind pandas being a race, i just dont want to be forced into contact with them, and they most definitely didnt need an entire continent to themselves. If they had their turtle island that would have been fine. That and they have a whole class dedicated to them, MoP couldnt have been any more thematically abhorrent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    For me its not a matter of how well fleshed out they are, its more how obnoxious pandaria was, it felt like a holiday from wow till the zandalari turned up (only race that really has ties to anyone else), there wasnt really anything to root me in the place as pandaria was like an entire continent dedicated solely to pandas. pandaria leveling experience was by far my least favorite ever, you couldnt avoid pandas if you tried, they were always the good guys and they were fucking arrogant, constantly talking down to you and you couldnt kill the bastards. It really felt like bad fanfiction till the civil war ramped up.
    I played warcraft III, i met chen there, i dont mind pandas being a race, i just dont want to be forced into contact with them, and they most definitely didnt need an entire continent to themselves. If they had their turtle island that would have been fine. That and they have a whole class dedicated to them, MoP couldnt have been any more thematically abhorrent to me.
    The pandaren are one of the most humble races out there. Shao Hao also recognized his mistake in shrouding his land away.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    The pandaren are one of the most humble races out there. Shao Hao also recognized his mistake in shrouding his land away.
    ughghghghghghghghghhgHGHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They say they are humble, but they talk down to you the entire time, and constantly lecture you about how you should behave like they assume that they are so much wiser than all the other races out there despite really never having had come into contact with literally anyone, they came off as really prejudice to me while also acting like they had the moral high ground, it was intollerable. If they are supposed to be the most humble race, i really didnt feel it, so they just seem like massive hypocrites.

If my troll couldnt be a monk, I would not have a monk. Brewmaster and Male troll goes together so well. Also, lorewise, everyone can be a monk, even a Vol'jin learned the ways of the monks in book.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinary View Post
    If my troll couldnt be a monk, I would not have a monk. Brewmaster and Male troll goes together so well. Also, lorewise, everyone can be a monk, even a Vol'jin learned the ways of the monks in book.
    I love trolls but I hate how the look in pants, I can only look at them in robes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Not everyone likes to play a ugly bear.
    Nobody likes to play an ugly bear.
    But there aren't any in the game. Well maybe the furbolgs.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Deleted
    I raided on my panda monk in MoP. It is still stuck somewhere between 90 and 100. Not because the class isn't fun, but I never really liked pandas from the start. When I created it I'm pretty sure the class was a panda-only class.
    I'm not going to pay for a race change, specially since it is only a alt. Having so much fun on my main, and I really love my ret pala alt as well. And my mage.
    So perhaps I'm not going to miss my monk after all :P

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    I really like the design and aesthetics of pandas. BUT I could never play one because of the golden "rings" they have around their tail and toes... this ruins so many awesome transmogs (colorwise).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    I think something of the opposite, i think they should remove all panda references and make the class raceless. Remove the asian themed martial arts and use each classes base auto attack animation, and give the abilities less oriental sounding names, along with perhaps glyphs that remove all that 'jade' bullshit.
    Considering martial arts, MOST IF NOT ALL martial arts came from or originated from Asia. And before you say Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Krav Maga, let me educate you. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu orginated from Kodokan Judo, also known as Jiu-Jitsu in Japan. A few guys named Mitsuyo Maeda, Soshihiro Satake, and Geo Omori taught Kodokan Judo to Carlos and Helio Gracie (among others but those are the most notable). Helio Gracie being a very small man developed Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in order to give smaller fighters an advantage over larger opponents.

Krav Maga was developed by Imi Lichtenfeld in 1944 and is based off of Judo (Japan), Aikido (Japan), Boxing (earliest known depiction is Ancient Samaria in Iraq, which is part of Southwest Asia), and Wrestling (the oldest form of combat and its origin is unknown. Earliest depiction is 15,000 years old in the form of a cave drawing in France). Krav Maga was specifically developed for the Isreali Defense Forces as their main hand to hand combat system as it focuses on real world street fighting instead of competition fighting.

I only mentioned BJJ and Krav Maga cause those are the first that came to mind but I think the point is made. Back to the original topic at hand, Monks ABSOLUTLY should be based off Asian themes considering the martial arts of the class. If you don't like the theme, don't play the class. I play the class because I love martial arts, I love to train in different martial arts and I love the competition of martial arts.

I think Undead should've been excluded from monk, same with tauren.