Off Combust Damage Buff - Pyro GCD

Hey all
    This has been updated from the OP

As many of you know - Fire has the issue right now of feeling and being extremely gimped out of Combustion phase. Aside from our damage being utter poop relative to our Combustion phase, its also about 1/10 as exciting. As mages have been able to rely on Hot Streak procs and the frequency of Pyroblast more and more, the GCD behind it is beginning to feel clunky, in my humble opinion.

Possible Solution:
    Dormant Flames: While Combustion is not in effect, Pyroblast incurs half of its normal global cooldown.

This would give us more "flow" throughout our off-Combustion rotation as well as increasing our out of Combustion output - something that is desperately needed. I think that this could be an interesting route to take to buff Fire, as well as give it a more responsive feeling spec... in-line with today's Hot Streak frequency.
    Last edited by Shullski; 2016-09-18 at 02:29 AM.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Deleted
    So you'd rather have Pyros hitting 2 mil but "hot streak" happening less often? I mean...

What you're suggesting is the epitome of clunky gameplay. I feel like fireball being our main filler, we're already forced to do hard casts, and its not really easy taking on a lot of mechanics Mythic onwards. You DO NOT want to cast a 5 second Pyro, even if that thing crits 3mil.

What would seriously improve Fire right now is a way to generate Combustion faster. 1 sec per crit from Kindling is VERY close to being perfect. Make that 2sec per crit and you got yourself a very fluid and fun gameplay. Currently, I don't see Combust regenerated during a boss fight. Its usually a 1 go, even in lengthy fights.

Other than our Combust being the main source of our damage, I dont see ANY problems with Fire mage in PvE right now. Its at a great spot and I love playing it. Spells change, and the meaning we give to them come from our attachment to them from the past. You should move on and get used to it.

Or you could spec Frost and glacial spike. You'll find A LOT of hard casts there and Glacial will hit stupid amounts of damage if stars align.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMeta View Post
    So you'd rather have Pyros hitting 2 mil but "hot streak" happening less often? I mean...

What you're suggesting is the epitome of clunky gameplay. I feel like fireball being our main filler, we're already forced to do hard casts, and its not really easy taking on a lot of mechanics Mythic onwards. You DO NOT want to cast a 5 second Pyro, even if that thing crits 3mil.

What would seriously improve Fire right now is a way to generate Combustion faster. 1 sec per crit from Kindling is VERY close to being perfect. Make that 2sec per crit and you got yourself a very fluid and fun gameplay. Currently, I don't see Combust regenerated during a boss fight. Its usually a 1 go, even in lengthy fights.

Other than our Combust being the main source of our damage, I dont see ANY problems with Fire mage in PvE right now. Its at a great spot and I love playing it. Spells change, and the meaning we give to them come from our attachment to them from the past. You should move on and get used to it.

Or you could spec Frost and glacial spike. You'll find A LOT of hard casts there and Glacial will hit stupid amounts of damage if stars align.
    Did you read the post or even the title? I said nothing about hard casting Pyros or changing the damage. I said it would be less clunky if it incurred less of a GCD.

GCD = global cooldown
    Last edited by Shullski; 2016-09-17 at 07:56 PM.

Deleted
    Alright, reread it and I see your point now. To be honest, having Pyromaniac talent, its barely enough to wait if you got a proc to know if you need to Fire Blast or Phoenix for the next Hot Streak anyway. Anything less than the GCD we have now, it'd be overkill.

I dont know how much having that lowered GCD would benefit us. It just doesn't feel as clunky as you make it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMeta View Post
    Alright, reread it and I see your point now. To be honest, having Pyromaniac talent, its barely enough to wait if you got a proc to know if you need to Fire Blast or Phoenix for the next Hot Streak anyway. Anything less than the GCD we have now, it'd be overkill.

I dont know how much having that lowered GCD would benefit us. It just doesn't feel as clunky as you make it to be.
    I suppose it comes down to personal preference. I hate the feeling of using my Hot Streak and standing as dead weight for an entire GCD. As an ability we now use so often, I dont think it makes sense for an entire GCD to be behind it - I know many others feel the same.

Especially when classes like rogues, moonkins, really everything, who have abilities that now almost hit twice as hard (Once again - not complaining - I love how pyro has developed). It just doesnt have the heft that it did before. I think this would bring it up to the new age.
    Last edited by Shullski; 2016-09-17 at 08:10 PM.

It would be a massive nerf to PvE movement though as currently a Fire Mage doesn't really suffer from movement at all due to GCD chaining.

Personally I for me, casting Fireball feels much more "dead weight" due to it not really doing much DPET compared to pretty much anything else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shullski View Post
    I suppose it comes down to personal preference. I hate the feeling of using my Hot Streak and standing as dead weight for an entire GCD. As an ability we now use so often, I dont think it makes sense for an entire GCD to be behind it - I know many others feel the same.

Especially when classes like rogues, moonkins, really everything, who have abilities that now almost hit twice as hard (Once again - not complaining - I love how pyro has developed). It just doesnt have the heft that it did before. I think this would bring it up to the new age.
    Usually I use the GCD to reposition myself in micro distances. It does help when you're flinging 2-3 pyros back to back, you can get a significant distance.

From my pve experiences the biggest DEboner is the horrid dps drop after Combustion phase. Honestly, it breaks someone hitting peak ST dps of 500k+ and then as the fight continues, get as low as 300k, because there's such downtime on Combustion (EVEN with Kindling). THIS is what I'd consider "downtime" not a measly GCD that you CAN in fact utilize (breather for proc check, micro positioning adjustments... etc.)

the only change pyroblast needs is to make the animation BIGGER, i feel like im hitting ppl with balls of noodles. in vanilla when u got hit by pyroblast u saw a huge ball of fire smash ur face..

Deleted
    I was playing just now and I thought of that also, after casting pyro your character just stands there waiting for the GCD to pass before you can begin casting fireball/cinderstorm. It just looks stupid and the instant pyro has to be off the GCD so you can get back at casting instead of standing there and eating out of your nose.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    It would be a massive nerf to PvE movement though as currently a Fire Mage doesn't really suffer from movement at all due to GCD chaining.

Personally I for me, casting Fireball feels much more "dead weight" due to it not really doing much DPET compared to pretty much anything else.
    Hmmm re-read the OP and the post above me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shullski View Post
    Hmmm re-read the OP and the post above me.
    I don't know what reading it again did achieve, when I didn't missread anything you posted.. My statement about movement still holds.

Also another problem that would rise with reducing GCD of pyro would be that they would need to nerf it's damage, due to combustion timings hitting way too hard for mechanics needing burst in raids to matter.

Now sure Fire does have some pacing problems, but it really ain't because of GCD as much it is because of charge system and us blowing everything in our initial burst, and then recharging back to 2 FF for the next cd window.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Now sure Fire does have some pacing problems, but it really ain't because of GCD as much it is because of charge system and us blowing everything in our initial burst, and then recharging back to 2 FF for the next cd window.
    See updated OP. I kind of merged the two ideas into something I think could potentially work without breaking Combustion.