Boomy: How ya doin in pvp?

I'm debating on a PVP Alt, because I really dislike the way DH plays in PVP - figured I'd go with something ranged. I dislike the way lock and mage are turning out. Ele sham always seems to be bad at pvp and Spriest feels bad vs all the rogue/ww/havocs. Just leaves Hunter and Boomkins.

So yeah, you boomy pvpers enjoying the spec or should I look towards hunter? I plan to mostly do BGs with just arena with friends.

Bad, pvp is crapfest.

Your post reads a little "casual", so i can give you my own "casual" pvp opinion.
    Mostly based on world PvP a little arena etc.

Your strong astral power generating and dmg Spells-- the Moon-spells -- are nearly unusable.
    3second cast(Full Moon) can be los or very easily interrupted(And then you have a lock on fucking all your spells...). Even by very very medicore players. Without the AsP generation and its dmg i dont see viable ways to be really effektive in Arena. (Bgs might be different)

Also our defensive tools (Armor and barksin) arent very effektive for arena.

Also our self healing is (partly) worse than the healing of pures...

Somebody who is really skilled (in PvP) and has a mate who helpes play arround the disadvantages probably can still be very effektive and achive high ratings.
    But for "medicore" players i have the (personal and only backed by anecdotal evidence)feeling, that you will do pretty bad.

If i'm not being focussed - I do VERY well, i'm talking top 5% on damage easily (in AV i'm first every time). Multi dotting, starfall and moon spells is nearly all I use then.

If i'm being focussed - absolutely trash. As said above, if you use any astral spell you will be locked out of every spell once they see you casting anything over 1second. Melee seem very mobile, with silences and interrupts, self healing, high burst. I have yet to even remotely kill a DH 1:1 so far.

So i'd say you're either going to have a brilliant or terrible experience, enjoy! =)

Deleted
    World PvP is awful, you'll die to pretty much any melee with half a brain as they have too many interrupts and gap closers for you to cast your moons. With a pvp-oriented talent build (with the 2 instant LS and the 75 AP CD) you can deal some damage, but you'll still get shat on by DHs, ferals, rogues, rets, any tanks...
    On the other hand it's really fun to crit a full moon on someone you take by surprise, but it'll happen really seldom compared to the number of times you'll get stomped with zero chance to do anything

Quote Originally Posted by Tauton View Post
    If i'm not being focussed - I do VERY well, i'm talking top 5% on damage easily (in AV i'm first every time). Multi dotting, starfall and moon spells is nearly all I use then.

If i'm being focussed - absolutely trash. As said above, if you use any astral spell you will be locked out of every spell once they see you casting anything over 1second. Melee seem very mobile, with silences and interrupts, self healing, high burst. I have yet to even remotely kill a DH 1:1 so far.

So i'd say you're either going to have a brilliant or terrible experience, enjoy! =)
    Yup. Time to look elsewhere then. Thanks everyone for the responses!

10+ Year Old Account
    With all the gap closers melee have now, you're dead as soon as someone looks at you.

If you're fighting another caster? Fine. If you're fighting literally any melee in the game that isn't a frost dk? You're donezo

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Also some idiot in blizz think that 15k ticks aka wasted gcds and 800k moons is "fun".

PvE is for Ranged
    PvP is for Melee

Not saying I agree with it, just how it is.

I usually just die vs most melee. I haven't played much arena yet, might be bit better with some setup, but out in the open a DH or rogue can basically kill me in 5 seconds. Casts just get interrupted and there is no point in running as every melee besides DK have better mobility than most casters.

I have to be honest that I haven't tried enough PvP yet though, so I can't speak for actual pvp. This is mostly getting ganked by DH, as they can get away with too much shit at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    PvE is for Ranged
    PvP is for Melee

Ye only mythics (and mythic+ soon) are also dominated by melee.

Deleted
    its very bad in pvp righ now, evidence is there

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of viability, they're not bad. They're still going to be a pick for RBGs and their arena viability is probably going to be like it's been the last expansion.

In terms of playing it? It's awful. They've ruined the spec completely, I hate it. You have to hardcast so much, and most of your damage comes from full moon. Good luck with that. It's the opposite of what boomkin has been for a long time, a mobile caster that relied on instants / aoe dot pressure. It's now something comparable to mop/wod destro lock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nythiz View Post
    I usually just die vs most melee. I haven't played much arena yet, might be bit better with some setup, but out in the open a DH or rogue can basically kill me in 5 seconds. Casts just get interrupted and there is no point in running as every melee besides DK have better mobility than most casters.

I have to be honest that I haven't tried enough PvP yet though, so I can't speak for actual pvp. This is mostly getting ganked by DH, as they can get away with too much shit at the moment.
    Arena will be no different. It's too easy to ride a boomkin all day and we have like 1 defensive CD. Will just flop without getting a single cast off.

Deleted
    Yeah that's what I feel too, people bitch about how hard full moon hits but they don't realize that aside from sneaking onto someone in world pvp there is no way you'll ever cast it

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimiks View Post
    Yeah that's what I feel too, people bitch about how hard full moon hits but they don't realize that aside from sneaking onto someone in world pvp there is no way you'll ever cast it
    Hence, wod/mop destro lock comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Nythiz View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Ye only mythics (and mythic+ soon) are also dominated by melee.
    Guess Ret didn't get the memo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krassz View Post
    Hence, wod/mop destro lock comparison.
    Interesting, had not thought about it like that but i guess you are right.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    PvE is for Ranged
    PvP is for Melee

Actually PvE is for melee now.
    "If I recall correctly I just posted that this topic is not to be discussed any further." -Ensidia Fanclub Founder