Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I love the Pandaren but part of that is exactly why I'm glad Monk is multi-race. I like the idea that Wanderers like Chen have been out there, quietly spreading the mantras of the Monks by word of mouth and over fine brews, for many decades (if not longer). I like the idea that the reason the Dwarves are so good at brewing is because at the foundation of their society there was a Wandering Monk who taught the elders the value of good ale for all societies and that drop became a ripple that became a cornerstone of their societal values.

I also like the subtle ties between Monks and Druids. Both are champions of respective Wild Gods from the dawn of creation. Both channel the Spirit of Life. They just manifest in different ways. I would not be surprised if (someday) Pandaren are granted access to the Druid class or Monks gain August Celestial forms.

Quote Originally Posted by CParker1987 View Post
    Considering martial arts, MOST IF NOT ALL martial arts came from or originated from Asia. And before you say Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Krav Maga, let me educate you. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu orginated from Kodokan Judo, also known as Jiu-Jitsu in Japan. A few guys named Mitsuyo Maeda, Soshihiro Satake, and Geo Omori taught Kodokan Judo to Carlos and Helio Gracie (among others but those are the most notable). Helio Gracie being a very small man developed Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in order to give smaller fighters an advantage over larger opponents.

Krav Maga was developed by Imi Lichtenfeld in 1944 and is based off of Judo (Japan), Aikido (Japan), Boxing (earliest known depiction is Ancient Samaria in Iraq, which is part of Southwest Asia), and Wrestling (the oldest form of combat and its origin is unknown. Earliest depiction is 15,000 years old in the form of a cave drawing in France). Krav Maga was specifically developed for the Isreali Defense Forces as their main hand to hand combat system as it focuses on real world street fighting instead of competition fighting.

I only mentioned BJJ and Krav Maga cause those are the first that came to mind but I think the point is made. Back to the original topic at hand, Monks ABSOLUTLY should be based off Asian themes considering the martial arts of the class. If you don't like the theme, don't play the class. I play the class because I love martial arts, I love to train in different martial arts and I love the competition of martial arts.
    Martial art means war art, its a european term, any group that engaged in warfare techinically had a martial art, its just the more popular ones that survived are nearly exclusively asian. Practically all cultures had their own martial arts, many forms have been lost to time and forgotten, but that doesnt mean that they did not exist.
    The point is is that there are already different monks that already exist in wow, people wanted discipline to be a melee monk spec a long time ago (seems strange now though)
    I just dont get why a single class is so deeply tied to a single race, no other class is tied that deeply, hell even demon hunters are less tied to elves than monks are to pandaren, and they belong exclusively to those 2 races! The monk class we got is insulting imo, it would be like renaming warriors to samurai or something.

Heck, even paladin, which were heavily based on european holy knights, have an open fantasy what with sunwalkers, vindicators and blood knights. Concessions were made in regards to the other races to make them feel better included, monks on the other hand are blatantly pandaren though, you cant escape it and its impossible to pretend that its not there.

I dont particularly want to take anything away from anyone, i just dont want all the panda crap forced on me if i want to play that class. I have other reasons for wanting to play an unarmed spiritual combatant and it has nothing to do with 'jade' mists and panda crap. Id be content with a glyph that removed the special panda animations and replaced them with my basic auto animations, and perhaps something that changed the color of the 'jade' mist crap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    I love trolls but I hate how the look in pants, I can only look at them in robes
    Same here, its their feet! in all their art they stand on their toes, in game they are flatfooted and it looks stupid, that and the cut off line for they feet looks really goofy.

Was really hoping that the model updates would give trolls a more tip toey stance with their legs more bent, kinda like the hooved races.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a lvl 98 panda monk I got no problem with her just haven't got around to leveling her, I got love for Panderans.....not so much love for undead....don't judge me.

Deleted
    I don't have anything against pandaren, but I wouldn't want to play as one. At least the races available for DHs are elves.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it should have been Pandaren Exclusive,or each race should've had their own Monk Training Area with their own themes. It's not too late for that.

It would be cool to get some lore that ties into each race's reaction to learning the ways of the Monk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    I mean, Monk already has a super low population.
    WW being overpowered is fixing that pretty quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fcc View Post
    I think Undead should've been excluded from monk, same with tauren.
    I don't think there should be any race restrictions on classes. They make zero sense. If a race can be a priest (uses the Light), they can be paladins (also uses the Light.) If a race can learn the teachings of wandering Pandaren monks to become monks themselves, every race can learn these teachings.

They've snarled the lore behind classes etc so much that it makes very little sense for any classes to be barred for any race. I mean, they let gnomes be warriors right from vanilla, despite how absurd that idea is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    I also like the subtle ties between Monks and Druids. Both are champions of respective Wild Gods from the dawn of creation. Both channel the Spirit of Life. They just manifest in different ways. I would not be surprised if (someday) Pandaren are granted access to the Druid class or Monks gain August Celestial forms.
    Which is why there's no logic behind barring races from specific classes. Tauren can be priests and paladins because they worship the Sun, which is just one variation of the same Light that humans and dwarves worship. Trolls can be druids because their Loa are very similar in nature to the ancient gods and aspects of nature that night elves and tauren worship. And so on.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a spec called Brewmaster and OP doesn't want Dwarves to be monks.

Fascinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

Deleted
    The hate towards the pandaren race and its body standards/measures in this thread, and in these forums in general, is breath-taking. But well, it just reflects how poorly educated most people are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    There's a spec called Brewmaster and OP doesn't want Dwarves to be monks.

Fascinating.
    To be fair, it could be referring to tea and not beer. You can brew many things besides beer
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would much rather they expand the theme of the class to include races that aren't Pandaren than have the class be Pandaren only. My main is a gnome monk and I feel like an outsider in my own Class Hall.

Everybody can be a monk but not every can last long enough to be a grand master. Just like in martial arts, a lot of people train until they learn a few things but they don't pursue it. So I'm actually happy that our class pop is kind of low makes it feel more legit :P

I am an orc monk who was once a brutal murderer who learned patience and discipline as i got older.

Inner peace my friends..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Happy View Post
    I would much rather they expand the theme of the class to include races that aren't Pandaren than have the class be Pandaren only. My main is a gnome monk and I feel like an outsider in my own Class Hall.
    That's because gnome monks doesn't really make much sense, at least not how WoW monks are presented. Gnomes are high-strung technophiles... not really something you'd see as being keen on meditation, asceticism, etc. There are some gnome monks in the Peak of Serenity, at least!

I dunno, there's enough "lore breaking" race/class combos that it makes no sense to not just let any race be any class. If gnomes can be as good warriors as fucking tauren, there's no reason an undead can't be a paladin or a worgen can't be a monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Happy View Post
    By that logic, everyone is an outsider in the Warrior class hall, since that's all about Valkyr...a race we can't even pick.

Anyways I get that some people wanted the Bruce Lee/Jakie Chan style Monk or whatever, but you should have known going in that WoW Monks are nothing like that.

And lets be honest...the class halls look nice, but they're all basically drapes around your Garrison table. Once you fondle your Command Table, then you're done with your class hall for awile.
    Last edited by bromanbro; 2016-09-18 at 02:16 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I hate pandaren which choose factions because they are traitors and lead the fucking alliance and horde destroyed the vale of eternal blossoms.

Fuck all alliance and horde traitor pandarens. For the neutral!

I love monks and I hate pandas. No thank you.

Deleted
    The panda's look fun and all, but i find them quickly annoying me. I have a female Cow girl and love it. would probs not play monk if i had to be a panda.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    they are not well-represented by players
    Bwhaahahaha!

So it bothers you that people don't play the race you think they should play.

the monk is entirely aesthetically pandaren, and it should have been pandaren only.

every single thing about the monk is pandaren, from the abilities to the order hall, to the armor, even to the very spell icons.

i cannot ever see this class as anything but pandaren. had they made it so much less focused on pandaren culture, it would have been fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CParker1987 View Post
    I love my Panda Monk. Double food buff and half damage from falling. As a raider I love the double food buff. And since I fall off cliffs and stuff a lot... the half falling damage has saved my life more than once. Thanks but ill take Panda over everything else.
    Doesn't work with drogbar food which makes you shoot fireballs :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    the monk is entirely aesthetically pandaren, and it should have been pandaren only.

every single thing about the monk is pandaren, from the abilities to the order hall, to the armor, even to the very spell icons.

i cannot ever see this class as anything but pandaren. had they made it so much less focused on pandaren culture, it would have been fine.
    Doesn't matter one bit. Everyone can be trained to be a monk in lore and pandaren share their ways.

Not everyone can be DH and they don't share their ways.

Lorewise, restricting monks to pandas would have been justified. I rolled a monk as well to see how they work and chose night elf just so she wouldn't be the same.