Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do Professions need to be reworked?

First of all, let me be clear; I love Legion and profession progression is not the issue here. It's the fact that some crafted items are stupid expensive to craft (even at tier 3) and have a unrealistic trade value. I have my guild using WoD pots and flasks, as the Legion versions are just not worth it. Well, stat wisethey are, but goldwise not at all. We're talking 500+ G per potion or more, 1500-2000g for a flask. Rather simple enchants that require a dozen epic chrystals, are listed at 20-30k. I get that stuff is expensive at the start of an expansion, I've made my 'fortune' in the early days of new expansions, but I have never seen these kind of numbers.

Another example are the gear crafting profs. The materials are insane but the reward is often kind of crappy. Spending thousands of gold just to get a rather useless 815 armor piece does not feel rewarding. Waiting a few days on a World Quest that drops a 835+ item is a bit cheaper.

I don't really mind that it takes a lot to get at 800, but it feels out of balance. Who is gonna spend 20k just on pots for one raid night?

Blame WoD ... there are so many people at gold cap that just don't care. Those of us that didn't abuse the system are jsut sitting here broke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nohara View Post
    First of all, let me be clear; I love Legion and profession progression is not the issue here. It's the fact that some crafted items are stupid expensive to craft (even at tier 3) and have a unrealistic trade value. I have my guild using WoD pots and flasks, as the Legion versions are just not worth it. Well, stat wisethey are, but goldwise not at all. We're talking 500+ G per potion or more, 1500-2000g for a flask. Rather simple enchants that require a dozen epic chrystals, are listed at 20-30k. I get that stuff is expensive at the start of an expansion, I've made my 'fortune' in the early days of new expansions, but I have never seen these kind of numbers.

Another example are the gear crafting profs. The materials are insane but the reward is often kind of crappy. Spending thousands of gold just to get a rather useless 815 armor piece does not feel rewarding. Waiting a few days on a World Quest that drops a 835+ item is a bit cheaper.

I don't really mind that it takes a lot to get at 800, but it feels out of balance. Who is gonna spend 20k just on pots for one raid night?
    My raid is kinda at this point too. We only have a few people who are actively herbing for the g-bank, but the rate at which you get starlight rose is so low that we aren't really catching up. Approx 20 people needing 3 flasks a night each, not counting the pots too? 60k gold a raid night isn't sustainable. They either need to make starlight rose less rare/give more per node or require less of them per flask.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by threeks View Post
    Blame WoD ... there are so many people at gold cap that just don't care. Those of us that didn't abuse the system are jsut sitting here broke.
    It's not even an economy thing, its an effort thing. Starlight rose nodes are rare-ish, you only get 1 per node (with rank 3 mind you) and it takes 7 PER flask.
    You could farm for a few hours and get enough rose to make everyone a flask, maybe. Its silly, of course they're expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    My raid is kinda at this point too. We only have a few people who are actively herbing for the g-bank, but the rate at which you get starlight rose is so low that we aren't really catching up. Approx 20 people needing 3 flasks a night each, not counting the pots too? 60k gold a raid night isn't sustainable. They either need to make starlight rose less rare/give more per node or require less of them per flask.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not even an economy thing, its an effort thing. Starlight rose nodes are rare-ish, you only get 1 per node (with rank 3 mind you) and it takes 7 PER flask.
    You could farm for a few hours and get enough rose to make everyone a flask, maybe. Its silly, of course they're expensive.
    FWIW, make sure all your raiders are using the Valsharah shoulder enchant. Bags drop pretty frequently, and I have yet to get one that doesn't have 5+ starlight rose, in addition to (usually) 15-30 each of two other herbs. Sometimes meat and fish as well.

If you do this on guild dungeon runs, you'll net quite a lot of mats with no extra farming, can dump them into the GBank for crafters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    This game isn't about your friends, though. This game is about taking it seriously enough that you do the hardest content no matter what it takes (transferring, etc), lasting friendships and other elements be damned. /s

Quote Originally Posted by JemiS View Post
    FWIW, make sure all your raiders are using the Valsharah shoulder enchant. Bags drop pretty frequently, and I have yet to get one that doesn't have 5+ starlight rose, in addition to (usually) 15-30 each of two other herbs. Sometimes meat and fish as well.
    Actually Starlight Rose is pretty rare in those bags. I think they have the same chance to show up as the other 5(*) herbs and 7(*) fish.

(*) - It's possible Yseralline Seed and Silver Mackerel don't drop from this bag, I can't remember seeing either of those. So it might be 4 other herbs and 6 types of fish. There's also a very small chance to get Felwort (I've only gotten 1 Felwort once)

Considering you get 2-3 types of items in those bags, the chance to get Starlight Rose isn't that high. Also, I have NEVER seen more than 5 Starlight Rose in one bag, I only received 3-5 per bag, but according to a friend it's possible to receive 2 "stacks" of 3-5 Starlight Rose in one bag. It also contains 10-20 other herbs and fish, not 15-30 as you claim. I'm not saying you shouldn't use the enchant (I'm herb/alch myself and I'm using it), but you're greatly exaggerating here. And by the way, meat doesn't drop from this bag. You get meat from the butcher enchant (Highmountain). I honestly have no idea where you're getting your information from, but it's just plain wrong.

if you find the cost of materials to be that 'insane'... become a gatherer. You will shortly be swimming in all that 'insane' cash. Or don't if you don't find gathering worthwhile, but you can't on the one hand complain about exorbitant prices and on the other about how hard it is to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    if you find the cost of materials to be that 'insane'... become a gatherer. You will shortly be swimming in all that 'insane' cash. Or don't if you don't find gathering worthwhile, but you can't on the one hand complain about exorbitant prices and on the other about how hard it is to make money.
    I didn't really see the OP complain about how hard it is to make money? It isn't really... Though as someone that is farming my own mats for raids it sucks seeing the mats I use for my own flasks/pots sell for 100k+ for a weeks worth on the AH. Friend and I have farmed about the same. He's made bank. I've lost gold because Im using instead of selling.

Pots and flasks are definitely way over costed atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    I just farmed 35 of them in less than 10 minutes, and this is by no means uncommon.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill.
    Stream (Thursday 21:00 | Sunday 19:45 | Monday 19:45).

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    I am not complaining at all about 'how to make money', I have over 1.2 million gold, but that is not the issue here. The problem is that the market stands still at these prices, it cripples the amount of gold that is traded on every realm. It is clear Blizzard wants to redevide all that Garrison gold, but it is not working. People turn to alts rather than buy stuff on the AH. This keeps the prices high and the trading low. People refuse to sell their fortune at these prices, because you do not get 'rich' buying stupid expensive stuff.

End result, nobody gems rare gems, nobody enchants the cloak or other expensive ones, nobody has pots or flasks, nobody uses crafted gear etc etc. Profs should add something to the market, not destroy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    My current main is an engineer. Profession is completely worthless from a money making perspective in Legion. I have fun toys but nothing that sells well. I figured, I'd make stuff to make obliterum, however 5-7 ashes per craft and stupidly high mats needed per item has made this not worth the cost. I am assuming that things will even out as the expansion progresses or whenever I get an odd coin to drop so I can buy the mechanic pet matrix device and have something worth selling. Overall though I have mixed feelings on doing quests to get recipes. I am lvl 110 and getting recipes that are useless to me now. I ahve to say Bandaid gun and gun boots are a ton of fun.

Isnt it always like this at the start of the expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. For one, the materials required to farm has always been so lop-sided. Mining and Herbing, you tend to gain more mats for less work over less time. Leatherworking? Good luck. You have to find a good location, you don't get as many skins per body that you do nodes for mining or herbalism, you have to kill your 'nodes' first, and the rate at which you get the more rare items of that tier is far worse than the other two gathering professions.

On top of that, they have continually throughout the expansions lowered the amount of mining and herbing nodes in the world. Go look at vanilla zones and the go look at say a MoP zone. It's crazy, especially considering zones are getting bigger. Bigger area to cover, fewer nodes to hit. Wasn't an issue in WoD, thanks to farmville.

As far as the crafting professions go, the material requirements seriously need to be reworked. Especially for old-world patterns that need materials you can't get anymore. The basic idea of how 'big' an ingot or piece of cloth is also wildly out of proportion. I'm not saying they need to be more realistic, just more consistent.

And don't even get me started on Engineering. It's the only profession I only have ONE of. They just need to make an item you create called like 'nuts and bolts' to fill the needs of all the ridiculous springs and screws and shit they require you to make. I understand that making a mechano-sheep is more technically challenging than making a pair of bracers, but fuck me Engineering is probably the most expensive profession to level because of all the different materials required.

And of course the fact that they've removed all of the 'bonuses' we used to get from each profession, that only one or two of them are real money makers now, and that Inscription has been completely neutered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    I managed to sell a stack of roses for 25k. That was nice. Outside of that, professions are worse than ever. No idea why they introduced these annoying quest lines and other trash. It doesn't make them more engaging or fun. It also leads to prices inflating as there's fewer people doing it.

With flasks costing over 1k on my server I personally think something needs to be done to address this issue, I may have been lucky and abused the garrisons back in WOD but many of our returning raiders didn't and expecting them to cough up 4k per raid alone on flasks is a bit much, let's be honest now.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by threeks View Post
    What you call abuse, others would call ineptitude. The fact that you're broke in an expansion that followed the biggest gold boom in the game's history surprises me. Get a gatherer, farm an hour or two and rake it in, play the AH, etc etc. But saying your broke and complaining that it's not fair is silly. The market is the one fair part of this game, you get back what you put into it.
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Nohara View Post
    First of all, let me be clear; I love Legion and profession progression is not the issue here. It's the fact that some crafted items are stupid expensive to craft (even at tier 3)
    The idea with crafted items is that the time and effort required to create them should be on par with that required to obtain similar items via drops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svelte View Post
    It pretty much is and professions like a few other things in Legion are now more of a long game. No, I don't think professions need a rework but I'm guessing they may lower requirements a bit later on.

It's pretty easy to see that Legion as an expansion is inconvenient for the player who wants to get in, get everything done and get out as soon as humanly possible. And that's OK because the alternative to that was what we had in Warlords, nothing much to do.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-09-18 at 07:01 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Svelte View Post
    Yes for the first month(s) it have always been like that. Insane prices on AH as people gets professions going.
    BUT this time it is actually different! Many people exchanged their mining or herbalism during WOD as everyone had a mine and a garden at their garrison.
    I would expect thus crazyness to continue untill 7.1 where they introduce the vendor, from who you can buy crafting materials , paying with blood of sagares.
    This expansion I have earned 50k just by selling ores that I came across- and I haven't even mined everyone of them , so havnt spend any effort on it.

Quote Originally Posted by justinhalfout View Post
    With flasks costing over 1k on my server I personally think something needs to be done to address this issue, I may have been lucky and abused the garrisons back in WOD but many of our returning raiders didn't and expecting them to cough up 4k per raid alone on flasks is a bit much, let's be honest now.
    Its not much at all. When you have WQs giving out 600 gold thats easy to complete, 4k is not much. Then you have follower missions. If its expensive, make it count and stop whining. Not going to make someone better

Quote Originally Posted by neescher View Post
    Actually Starlight Rose is pretty rare in those bags. I think they have the same chance to show up as the other 5(*) herbs and 7(*) fish.

(*) - It's possible Yseralline Seed and Silver Mackerel don't drop from this bag, I can't remember seeing either of those. So it might be 4 other herbs and 6 types of fish. There's also a very small chance to get Felwort (I've only gotten 1 Felwort once)

Considering you get 2-3 types of items in those bags, the chance to get Starlight Rose isn't that high. Also, I have NEVER seen more than 5 Starlight Rose in one bag, I only received 3-5 per bag, but according to a friend it's possible to receive 2 "stacks" of 3-5 Starlight Rose in one bag. It also contains 10-20 other herbs and fish, not 15-30 as you claim. I'm not saying you shouldn't use the enchant (I'm herb/alch myself and I'm using it), but you're greatly exaggerating here. And by the way, meat doesn't drop from this bag. You get meat from the butcher enchant (Highmountain). I honestly have no idea where you're getting your information from, but it's just plain wrong.
    I'm just stating what I've gotten. And I have gotten stacks of more than 5 starlight roses, and I got a stack of 30 Salmon last night, in addition to two other items.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    This game isn't about your friends, though. This game is about taking it seriously enough that you do the hardest content no matter what it takes (transferring, etc), lasting friendships and other elements be damned. /s