Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Maxing WoW and fps drops

Hey all. Looking for some advice about potentially upgrading my platform.
    I'm a little frustrated that I have to turn some settings down from everything being on
    10 at 1440p. Mostly because of massive dips in places like Suramar.
    I can dip as low as 35fps on a heavily overclocked 980 ti.

So I'm wondering if upgrading my 3 year old Haswell 4770k (which is at 4.5ghz)
    to the upcoming Kaby Lake 7700k will make any difference?
    maybe the switch from DDR3 1600 to some DDR4 in the 3200 range helps too?

I know WoW is very cpu dependent and I'm hoping that the 7th gen's IPC
    gain will be worth the upgrade from the 4th generation. I'm also aware that
    Intel only gains 5-10% performance increase each generation.

But I'm willing to throw money at marginal upgrades if these stupid frame rate
    dips chill out.

You're really not going to be getting rid of the dips no matter the hardware, that's WoW for you.

You will probably dip to 41 FPS instead of 35 with the maximum 15-20% difference the 7700K will have.

Cant you people accept after all these years that WoW is badly optimized and simply turn off shadows?

Probably not. Kaby Lake is looking to be Broadwell Take Two from what it looks like.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You will probably dip to 41 FPS instead of 35 with the maximum 15-20% difference the 7700K will have.

Cant you people accept after all these years that WoW is badly optimized and simply turn off shadows?
    15-20%? Being pretty generous there I think. If he was coming from a 2500K maybe he could expect that much of an increase, but he's got Haswell, so I'd guess more like 5-10%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    15-20%? Being pretty generous there I think. If he was coming from a 2500K maybe he could expect that much of an increase, but he's got Haswell, so I'd guess more like 5-10%.
    Nah its around there while being maybe 2-3% generous.

A marginal 2% difference between 4790K-->9% with 6700K, i expect at least a 5% with the 7700K!

Nah its around there while being maybe 2-3% generous.

A marginal 2% difference between 4790K-->9% with 6700K, i expect at least a 5% with the 7700K!
    In synthetics maybe. Not actual gaming usage. There are even some synthetic Benchmarks that show the single core performance of the 6700k is worse than that of the 4790k, and we all know that single core performance is what matters to WoW. So I think 15-20% performance increase in WoW is being more than 2-3% generous. 5-10% at most.

That seems like a massive dip with that setup. I'm only running a 980 with a 5820k @4.2 and I dip to that in some areas on 10 with 4k render scale and post processing.

If you have a 1440p monitor at that resolution, turn off anti aliaising because you probably don' need it.

Otherwise it may be an add-on causing your woes

Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    But I'm willing to throw money at marginal upgrades if these stupid frame rate
    dips chill out.
    They won't.

You are not running wow max at 1440p and getting a stable 60fps, Its just not going to happen. Hell 1080p barely gets a stable fps at max settings and that requires a hell of a CPU or OC.

When it comes to WoW your GPU matters little. The performance difference between a 970 and a 1070/1080 is little in WoW because WoW is a CPU whore.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

In synthetics maybe. Not actual gaming usage.
    Of course, but synthetics is also raw power display which means the difference is there and it will show eventually (It usually shows when people are already thinking to upgrade, but not everyone has the money), obviously OP upgrading is a massive no, but speaking only raw numbers xD

Er, I get over 100FPS constantly, 1440p, 980Ti
    Have limited it to 70FPS to prevent the fan noise.

No AA, 100% render scale.

If you want to add AA or up Render scale, it'll likely slow at times.
    Depends what's important - WoW is still v pretty (for WoW)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fizz View Post
    Er, I get over 100FPS constantly, 1440p, 980Ti
    Have limited it to 70FPS to prevent the fan noise.

No AA, 100% render scale.

If you want to add AA or up Render scale, it'll likely slow at times.
    Depends what's important - WoW is still v pretty (for WoW)
    Constantly? As in, even in Mythic Raiding during Bloodlust and large scale PvP? Please, post video proof of this as it will be a world first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    That seems like a massive dip with that setup. I'm only running a 980 with a 5820k @4.2 and I dip to that in some areas on 10 with 4k render scale and post processing.

If you have a 1440p monitor at that resolution, turn off anti aliaising because you probably don' need it.

Otherwise it may be an add-on causing your woes
    I have turned AA off and view distance down to 7. There are places in Suramar where if I angle the camera looking out over a great distance.
    Yea massive dip into the 40s.

It's a gsync monitor, I have the frame limit set to 120fps. So yea it sucks to look down at my character, have 120fps, move camera down
    and then hit 40 -_-

example. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...XhYd2J1cWVzVE0

Rest of my system.
    Asus Maximus VI Z87
    16gb DDR1600, 9-9-9-24-1T
    Samsung 850 Pro 1tb
    Win10 Pro.
    EVGA 980 ti Classified. (core at 1505mhz)
    Bios, drivers, everything up to date.
    Last edited by Iannis; 2016-09-16 at 10:52 PM.

I have turned AA off and view distance down to 7. There are places in Suramar where if I angle the camera looking out over a great distance.
    That's actually not bad. You should check your CPU and GPU usage with a tool like hardware monitor. I was finding that in places like Suramar, I had 4 cores pegged at 100% and my GPU pegged at 100% with my GPU also trying to OC because I saw a 115% power draw.

If you're getting similar results to me, it's time for dual video cards, a 1080..or some form of religion to get higher, consistent frames

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    They won't.

You are not running wow max at 1440p and getting a stable 60fps, Its just not going to happen. Hell 1080p barely gets a stable fps at max settings and that requires a hell of a CPU or OC.

When it comes to WoW your GPU matters little. The performance difference between a 970 and a 1070/1080 is little in WoW because WoW is a CPU whore.
    1440p stable with max settings isn't out of reach. I benchmarked HFC when I first got my 1070. I spent 96.7% of the time over 60 fps (minimum was 48). That's with every setting at 10, 8xMSAA, MFAA, 1080p with 140% render scale (1440p equivalent). I'll probably be benchmarking Emerald Nightmare when it releases, but it's really not that out of reach to have nearly 100% of the time over 60 fps.

i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz
    GTX 1070 @ 2000/8808MHz

There are some areas that are just poorly optimized in Legion. I've had random areas in the middle of Azsuna (or was it Val'Sharah?) where I randomly drop to the 40s for no apparent reason. It's always the same areas and always when facing the same direction. Are you seeing these dips in dungeon situations?
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2016-09-18 at 07:11 AM.

Is the shadows setting tied to gpu or CPU usage?

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Is the shadows setting tied to gpu or CPU usage?
    Most of the high-end CPU's will dip either way during raiding, your job is to make sure you have the maximum your CPU can handle despite the optimization, having it helping with GPU stuff because "DirectX" is silly.

Shadows are 99/100 times the culprit in any game when it comes to FPS loss, combining it with Anti-Aliasing makes everything all smooth and pretty and same time takes away your FPS.

I am not saying dont have it on during outdoor stuff and questing, but during raiding there is no reason to have Shadows at max, and Anti-aliasing at stuff like MSAAx8 or SSAA.

Your CPU will dip either way, why are you forcing it to dip even more cause of that?

Have to admit that I really don't see the drops happen in dungeons. Dungeons at 4k render scale and 10 sit sometimes above 100 FPS.

Constantly? As in, even in Mythic Raiding during Bloodlust and large scale PvP? Please, post video proof of this as it will be a world first.
    Don't do Mythic raiding (heroic aye) and not much of a PvP'er...
    Shadows at "nice" (not blobby), no AA and don't use recount. (Use Details!) - During BL etc - Never noticed low framerates...
    Do have G-SYNC but will record a raid coming up and see what it dips to

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I used to get 100+ fps minimum. Anywhere.

Now I'm struggling to get 60/70 in a lot of places. Especially suramar.

I've had to turn my settings all the way down to the bottom, but I'm still not getting the same performance.

Must be whatever changes they have made once legion hit because thats when my problems started.