Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

apophis to come close to earth in 2029

on april 13th 2029, which is friday btw apophis a large metoer the size of a skyscraper is travelling through space atm 10x the speed of a bullet 28,000 mph and will come within 23,000ft of earths surface, passing beneath satelites, and nasa monitors this rock. do you think it will hit us

10+ Year Old Account
    2029? That's so long from now. I'll be grateful if I'm still alive let alone worrying about some rock.

7+ Year Old Account
    You're afraid that you'll die in the next 13 years, Tennisace? I mean, really?
    How old or sick are you?
    If neither old nor sick, then chances are you will be alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korlok View Post
    You're afraid that you'll die in the next 13 years, Tennisace? I mean, really?
    How old or sick are you?
    If neither old nor sick, then chances are you will be alive.
    In my 20s. I'm healthy but it's not good to just take life for granted and assume you'll live forever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In my 20s. I'm healthy but it's not good to just take life for granted and assume you'll live forever.
    It's not good to not plan for the future and assume 13 years is too long to think ahead :P

I thought the thread was about the Stargate villain coming to Earth. Disappointed

10+ Year Old Account
    These ugly Imperial units hurt my eyes!

Seriously though, nope, it won't hit the Earth. NASA is pretty good at predicting meteors trajectories. If it is that big though, it could be a nice target for amateur astronomers!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    They won't put a snake in my head!

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda dont like that this meteor is named after the egyptian god of chaos. It sounds like an ill omen.
    Last edited by Cerilis; 2016-09-18 at 04:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    These ugly Imperial units hurt my eyes!

Seriously though, nope, it won't hit the Earth. NASA is pretty good at predicting meteors trajectories. If it is that big though, it could be a nice target for amateur astronomers!
    lol come to the UK we use metric and imperial on most things its a mind fuck really but im used to it cos im british

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    I kinda dont like that this meteor is named a the egyptian god of chaos. It sounds like an ill omen.
    ok we can call it fluffykins if you like ;3

Deleted
    I kinda dont like that this meteor is named a the egyptian god of chaos. It sounds like an ill omen.
    what will be, will be.

Hey, wasn't there a Stargate episode where Apophis rigged a meteor to crash into the Earth, only for SG-1 to hyperspeed it through Earth and to the other side?

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    They won't put a snake in my head!

You will serve your Lord Apophis!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Jaffa, kree!

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    on april 13th 2029, which is friday btw Apophis a large metoer the size of a skyscraper is travelling through space atm 10x the speed of a bullet 28,000 mph and will come within 23,000ft of earths surface, passing beneath satelites, and nasa monitors this rock. do you think it will hit us
    Welcome from 2004. Don't know if coma or time travel, but welcome to our year either way. So yes, in 2004, they were concerned about what you posted (though I'm not sure about the "23,000ft" - we have a dozen mountains taller then that, so it would actually impact our atmos and take like the top mile of height of Everest and K2.

So in 2014 - "using observations through February 26, 2014, the odds of an impact on April 12, 2068, as calculated by the JPL Sentry risk table is 1 in 149,000" (wikipedia). Though it looks like you can add several zeros to those odds now - http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/a99942.html

2060: Impact Probability: 1e-07

0.000010000% chance of Earth impact or 1 in 10,000,000 chance or 99.99999000% chance the asteroid will miss the Earth

So like Jim Carrey said in D&D, "So you're saying there is a chance!". However the good news is that we all lived good long lives by the time Apophis kills us all.

But this is the fun you get to have with astrological science. They now think it's bigger and farther away than they did before because they now think it is less reflective (which was how they were attempting to gauge size and distance previously)

It's actually named after the villain from Stargate SG1, if it makes you feel any better

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post

You will serve your Lord Apophis!
    Is he really petting a goa'uld larva that wacko.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    It's actually named after the villain from Stargate SG1, if it makes you feel any better
    A bit! of 10 chars

I'm more worried about a meteor sneaking up on us, than I am Apophis in 2029.

Also Jaffa cakes, lol.

23000 feet is lower than the cruising altitude of a commercial airliner. If it gets that low it will hit the planet, guaranteed.

Either way this was big news a few years ago when they downgraded the probability of it striking earth as it missed a crucial keyhole.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    23000 feet is lower than the cruising altitude of a commercial airliner.
    ...which is why you should've realized that's nowhere near the distance Apophis is going to miss Earth by.

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/

Quote Originally Posted by NASA
    The future for Apophis on Friday, April 13 of 2029 includes an approach to Earth no closer than 29,470 km (18,300 miles, or 5.6 Earth radii from the center, or 4.6 Earth-radii from the surface) over the mid-Atlantic, appearing to the naked eye as a moderately bright point of light moving rapidly across the sky.
    Now, I know it should just say 29470 kilometers so as not to confuse people who use different thousand separators and who use the comma as the decimal separator, but 5.6 Earth radii, being that the radius of Earth is 6371 kilometers, should be sufficient information that it is, indeed almost 30000 kilometers, that's thirty THOUSAND kilometers, at which Apophis is going to be buzzing by earth.

Not 23000 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    will come within 23,000ft of earths surface
    Where'd you even get this number "23000 feet" from?