Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Well, it is close, as Moon is 380.000 kilometer away and geosynchrous satellites are ~ 36.000 km above sea level away. Apophis will cruise BELOW those satellite orbits.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Where'd you even get this number "23000 feet" from?
    Between the horrible math and even worse grammar of the OP, I had to scroll down to your post to get something I could actually read. I don't mind the occasional loose grammar but OPs should at least be legible.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2016-09-18 at 06:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Between the horrible math and even worse grammar of the OP, I had to scroll down to your post to get something I could actually read. I don't mind the occasional loose grammar but OPs should at least be legible.
    That's no excuse. Nobody is here to babysit you. Please read the OP next time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't it more likely for a meteor to just sneak up on us?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    He did. The scribbling of the OP are still unintelligible, especially if you don't actually know what nonsense he is trying to write about.

I don't know why, but every time I read anything you ever wrote you seem to come off as either a particularly decent chatbot, or as someone who is way on one end of the autism spectrum. Are you? I mean, I have no other explanation to why you read so...weird. I mean I have nothing against you, but that would explain a lot of things.

But more on topic.

23000ft is well within Earth's atmosphere. Even if it would be 23k ft beyond the edge of the atmosphere, at that proximity it would still be captured by Earth's gravity.

But no, I don't specifically care about this, worry about this or follow it closely. Chances of it hitting Earth are essentially nil, but Doomsdayer loons always need something to freak out about.

Y2K, Nibiru, 2012, Nibiru Redux etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korlok View Post
    You're afraid that you'll die in the next 13 years, Tennisace? I mean, really?
    How old or sick are you?
    If neither old nor sick, then chances are you will be alive.
    Death by middle eastern invader.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Even if it would be 23k ft beyond the edge of the atmosphere, at that proximity it would still be captured by Earth's gravity
    How do you know that it will be captured by Earth's gravity? Only becuse it come close do not mean that it will be captured, that depend on the angel and speed....

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    How do you know that it will be captured by Earth's gravity? Only becuse it come close do not mean that it will be captured, that depend on the angel and speed....
    23k ft is 7km. I don't know from what the OP measures that distance from, but if it comes that close to Earth's surface it essentially already hit us. 7km from the Stratosphere? 7km from the Mesosphere? If it enters the the Mesosphere it would be slowed down by the atmosphere and is close enough already for the angle not to really matter, the angle would only decide how much would burn up and how much would land, but it would land. 7km from Exosphere? Does it get into the Thermosphere?
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2016-09-18 at 07:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He did. The scribbling of the OP are still unintelligible, especially if you don't actually know what nonsense he is trying to write about.

I don't know why, but every time I read anything you ever wrote you seem to come off as either a particularly decent chatbot, or as someone who is way on one end of the autism spectrum. Are you? I mean, I have no other explanation to why you read so...weird. I mean I have nothing against you, but that would explain a lot of things.

But more on topic.

23000ft is well within Earth's atmosphere. Even if it would be 23k ft beyond the edge of the atmosphere, at that proximity it would still be captured by Earth's gravity.

But no, I don't specifically care about this, worry about this or follow it closely. Chances of it hitting Earth are essentially nil, but Doomsdayer loons always need something to freak out about.

Y2K, Nibiru, 2012, Nibiru Redux etc.
    Oh please. Anyone with a highschool education should know that 29K feet was obviously a typo. The world would be no more if that was the case and it would be breaking news.

It's also quite offensive that you're in this thread accusing people of having autism. Have some class.

It's also quite offensive that you're in this thread accusing people of having autism. Have some class.
    There's nothing wrong with having autism. It would just explain some patterns.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing wrong with having autism. It would just explain some patterns.
    Well I definitely don't. You do realize some people have different personas on the internet as opposed to offline..

7+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit post, Batman.

There's nothing wrong with having autism.
    You heard him. Have some class! Autistic people will be offended at such an implication!
    Last edited by Mistame; 2016-09-18 at 08:14 PM.

Eh, the OP isn't that hard to read. Just ignore the fact that the numbers don't make sense, and the basic premise is 'big rock comes close to earth, are you worried?'
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

if only he'd land here tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    if only he'd land here tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    23,000ft? That's below the cruising altitude of most commercial planes...I call shenanigans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    23,000ft? That's below the cruising altitude of most commercial planes...I call shenanigans.
    if it's that low, it could very well explode due to the massive, massive amounts of friction.

the last time one exploded in our atmosphere, it was a good deal higher than that and the shockwave damaged buildings and hurt people. it was over russia.

also, apophis is a hell of a lot bigger than that one. if this explodes over a town at that height, there's gonna be a lot of people killed.

assuming it's true, of course. we could be looking at a new tunguska event.

if it's that low, it could very well explode due to the massive, massive amounts of friction.

the last time one exploded in our atmosphere, it was a good deal higher than that and the shockwave damaged buildings and hurt people. it was over russia.

also, apophis is a hell of a lot bigger than that one. if this explodes over a town at that height, there's gonna be a lot of people killed.

assuming it's true, of course. we could be looking at a new tunguska event.
    It's not true. It will miss us by about 14 million + miles.

It's not true. It will miss us by about 14 million + miles.
    well, that's good.

if one's gonna hit, i'd rather it not just be a nuclear explosion level hit.

Deleted
    if one's gonna hit, i'd rather it not just be a nuclear explosion level hit.
    It's not going to miss us by about 14 million miles; the latest estimates are, as I posted earlier, about 30 thousand kilometers.

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/

Also, if it did impact, it wouldn't exactly "just be a nuclear explosion level hit", at around 750 megatons. Well, I mean, a dozen Tsar Bombas, so I guess you could call it that. But it'd surely be a far cry from, for example, the one that may have killed the dinosaurs; Chucxulub, which hit at around 100 million megatons.

If Apophis hit, it'd be a bad day for the specific neighborhood it impacted in, but if you were living in the next state or country over, you wouldn't really care much.