Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    What about High elves?
    Sun elves?

7+ Year Old Account
    blood elves -> sin'dorei = children of the blood/bloodborne
    night elves -> kal'dorei = children of the stars/starborne
    highborne/elves -> quel'dorei = children of the noble birth
    nightborne -> shal'dorei = children of the night.

blood elves are high elves, and just renamed themselves to blood elves because of arthas's bloodshed.
    some high elves still remained high elves tho.

the highborne are the kal'dorei nobles, the high elves are the exiled highborne that simply changed their title into a name, high elves.

nightborne are the elves (once night elves) that were hidden behind a powerful barrier in suramar city, the city of eternal night, without sun nor moonlight to see.

kal'dorei are the night elves, basically the "original" elves from which every other elven race evolved from, their homeland is kalimdor, the land of eternal starlight, hence why they are called kal'dorei, they are the children of the stars.
    Last edited by Raetary; 2016-09-18 at 07:00 PM.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    blood elves -> sin'dorei = children of the blood/bloodborne
    night elves -> kal'dorei = children of the stars/starborne
    highborne/elves -> quel'dorei = children of the noble birth
    nightborne -> shal'dorei = children of the night.

blood elves are high elves, and just renamed themselves to blood elves because of arthas's bloodshed.
    some high elves still remained high elves tho.

the highborne are the kal'dorei nobles, the high elves are the exiled highborne that simply changed their title into a name, high elves.

nightborne are the elves (once night elves) that were hidden behind a powerful barrier in suramar city, the city of eternal night, without sun nor moonlight to see.

kal'dorei are the night elves, basically the "original" elves from which every other elven race evolved from, their homeland is kalimdor, the land of eternal starlight, hence why they are called kal'dorei, they are the children of the stars.
    Shal=/= night

shal=dark

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn the Second View Post
    It's obviously the Inquisitor potentially revealing that she was thinking about Halduron every time she lay with Rhonin, of course. That or he would discover that she considered drowning her filthy mud-blood children in a barrel when she first saw them.
    Heh, that's exactly the point. I can only think at this sort of funny rubbish when I ponder about that.

Vereesa is such a joke of a character that I can't even.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    I don't understand how such a simple and easily graspable concept managed to spin into such a lenghty discussion, when its all crystal clear.
    Well, Ravenmoon is blessed with this fascinating talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    Shal=/= night

shal=dark
    source please? this is the only place i saw people saying that shal means dark.
    wowpedias darnassian page says nothing about the word shal, and everything in suramar and the nightborne themselves point at it being night.
    nor did i hear or see anything in the suramar zone that points at it being dark, unless i missed it.

Formerly known as Arafal

the barrier has little to do with it.
    they turned to the well to survive, the well changed them over time, the well also started "corrupting" them and turned them into bigger drug addicts than the blood elves.
    yes, pretty much.. except not drug addicts, just dependent. They had to use the arcane source to provide the things they needed to survive to feed the populace, and cloth them too. The thing about them is that the excessive use wasn't because of pure over-indulgence, even though it was indulging, it was needed for survival. But the Well also got corrupted in the process and as we know blood elf addiction and highborne addiction, the more you use magic, as amazing as it is, without the right balance or exercise as Mace put it a while ago, you become unhealthy. Doesn't help that the source got corrupted too.

So what you have here is a dependency, not an addiction. It is similar to addiction, but the source is essential for survival and thus is like food, the corruption meant that the body won't survive without it, and worse would become a mindless fiend before dying.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    That's what I thought too. And she's wearing heels...
    shes turning into a night elf snookie
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    not an addiction
    i know that its not an addiction, i just call it an addiction because its similar enough to an addiction to be called an addiction.

- - - Updated - - -

^damn, that's a lot of the word addiction in one post.
    Last edited by Raetary; 2016-09-18 at 07:15 PM.

Formerly known as Arafal

source please? this is the only place i saw people saying that shal means dark.
    wowpedias darnassian page says nothing about the word shal, and everything in suramar and the nightborne themselves point at it being night.
    nor did i hear or see anything in the suramar zone that points at it being dark, unless i missed it.
    my error

Shal=Shadow

Shalla'tor=Shadow Render

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    my error

Shal=Shadow

Shalla'tor=Shadow Render
    if you take it from the blade word by word then shalla means shadow.
    shal means something else, and it probably changes its meaning however its used.
    Shal'nar is the darnassian word of aunt.
    Last edited by Raetary; 2016-09-18 at 07:34 PM.

Formerly known as Arafal

Deleted
    The currect Blizzard writers must be banging their heads on the wall right now. It's nothing more than a "cool name" that they thought and wrote on a paper napkin.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2016-09-18 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    The currect Blizzard writers must be banging their heads on the wall right now. It's nothing more than a "cool name" that they thought and wrote on a paper napkin.
    Most propable answer, they are not linguists like Tolkien, they just pull names that sound weird out of their ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you take it from the blade word by word then shalla means shadow.
    shal means something else, and it probably changes its meaning however its used.
    Shal'nar is the darnassian word of aunt.
    There is also Shaladrassil, the world tree of Val'Shara. Knowing what lied under, it would be fitting if it means "Crown of Shadow."
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

The addiction thing always confuses people.

The High/Blood elves and the Highborne have an addiction to magic. Using magic makes them feel good, it takes willpower not to do it, and not doing it makes them feel lethargic/empty.

The Nightborne literally die without magic, it's their food. It's a dependency. They depend on it to survive.
    You're not addicted to water, you're dependant on water.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    "Nightborne's night elvesness"

I simply love how the Blood Elf - Nightborne relation bit had no more than 6 lines where the Night Elf - Nightborne discuss 2 different topics taking alone 1/6 of the whole Nightborne article. Or how the statement saying that Nightborne are the "old Night Elves" apparently prove their "night elvessness" ("yo remove the speculation mark, we have PROOF now") somehow forgetting that Blood Elves, High Elves and even fucking Naga were once Night Elves as well.
    You simply can't comprehend the holy wisdom because you're cruel and vindictive IRL like Trolls. Dark Trolls even, because your heart is so black. You could be saved by transforming into a noble Night Elf. But you can't, because while the first of transforming into a nocturnal being would be doable, you'd need blessing of Elune to transform from that intermediary step into an actual Night Elf (on the other hand everything is Night Elf recently so you can pretend I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    I noticed the funkiness going on with Wowpedia and I, too, thought that the wording sounded like ravenmoon.

The only source given from Blizzard about this at all is from that Suramar zone preview where game designer Steve Burke is quoted as saying:To be honest, this is really vague. He mentions nothing about their obvious mutations due to the Nightwell, and he could easily be talking about their cultural traditions.
    Well, no. At least in the context of my post. Sure, it can be a source of Nightborne still being Night Elves, but:
    1. What Zulkhan said on previous page can apply, they could have meant old Night Elves in that way he spoke about;
    2. It's an interview, they made small errors in speech during interviews in the past, it's only human nature;
    3. There is still a newer source that repeats after earlier sources that the Nightwell changed them.

Still, that's not source for "descriptive Night Elves" or "elves of the night" being things that exist in Warcraft nomenclature, which is ravenmoon's/Mace's primary argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    I am half tempted to send a tweet to the lore or story guys at Blizzard asking them to settle this once and for all.
    If the bit in Chronicles that outright says they became a new race didn't do that, Metzen himself could announce his return to make a whole expansion about them being different races and they'd still stay in their fanfiction bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    I mean, she even leaves to you the custody of her precious family jewel (Thas'dorah) until the Legion isn't defeated.
    Wasn't it till Alleria is found?

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    we are still on this? Where do you think I got these explanations? Alpha/beta testers, Wowpedia, Blizzard website, Blizzard interviews and presentations - I don't think anything I have said has been my speculation they've all been derived from source or players that made sense to me - after my overly generously positive view of the night elves year before last, and my efforts concerning night elf and troll origin - I stopped speculating and decided from then on I would go exactly where the developers and the experts were showing. I am not trying to make night elves or nightborne anything that they're not, as you well know I think the night elves are rubbish - what a let down and wasted opportunity, I may like them but I do not care for them like I once did - you just like arguing. I've seen your point of view, I know what you're saying, but you don't know see what I've been saying, I've not been pointing out what has come into my head, I've been pointing out what I've seen and observed and what has been remarked. I am not the source, you guys say things, I see, and if I agree I use it.
    I could swear I just said the only two mentions of "Elves of the night" on entire WoWPedia are edits made by you, but I guess I lacked ENGLISH MASTERY to know what I'm writing, my bad. And I see what you've been saying just fine. I have no clue why you're trying to force the idea that I'm not after telling you it's false at least five times, but it's as futile as you trying to force "elves of the night" nonsense to be a taxonomic group of elves that exists in WoW lore or applies to anything other than the Kaldorei even if it did exist.

It's not me that's saying, this is what we are been shown! It's right there in the game, it's in the description, it's plainly obvious. You know how some smart people or rather people who think they are smart, for all their airs can miss things right in front of their noses, and have the gall to insult someone else for merely pointing it out.
    What description? Neither Nightborne nor Shal'dorei contain a description in their name themselves, just like they don't contain the name Night Elves/Kaldorei. Wait, is it the encyclopedia-like omniscient description in the Chronicles that outright states they are two different races which you continue to ignore? Why use it as an argument now then, especially since it still works against your narrative because there was no adjusted version of it so far? So I have no clue what you are trying to point out that's right in the description, but I suspect it's not what you think it is.

That's the impression I get, and many others, which is why I have seen it said that they are more night elven than the night elves themselves.
    If you get the impression that Shal'dorei consider themselves Night Elves then how on Earth were you incapable to show a single one saying anything like that after me asking ten times?

I mean Nightborne - it's in the name as has been said in this topic - Nightborne elves, Night Elves - seems like nightborne elves is a more hardcore degree of night elf.
    Highborne. Highborne Elves. High Elves. Who would have guessed, Shen'dralar are actually Thalassian. I guess Cataclysm didn't show us there are other types of night elves after all. Darkfallen. Darkfallen Elves. Dark Elves. Would you look at that, WoW actually has Drows. @Rhlor will be delighted. It was hiding in plain sight, but through the magic of ENGLISH MASTERY I pierced the veil and discovered this secret. Wretched. Wretched Elves. Wretch Elves. Whatever the fuck that may be. Yeah, no. Either elves of wretch (either "descriptive" or otherwise) are a thing that exists or this logic - wait, no, even calling that logical fallacy would a monumental stretch (then again it pales in the mental gymnastics you needed to make to construct your entire narrative) - this nonsense is inane. I patiently await you championing the idea of Wretch'dorei just to maintain your narrative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    The addiction thing always confuses people.
    The High/Blood elves and the Highborne have an addiction to magic. Using magic makes them feel good, it takes willpower not to do it, and not doing it makes them feel lethargic/empty.
    This is wrong, most elves in Quel'thalas did not use magic but were addicted regardless, because they were all connected to the sunwell. The mere presence to the well caused the addiction.

The Nightborne literally die without magic, it's their food. It's a dependency. They depend on it to survive.
    You're not addicted to water, you're dependant on water.
    That is because they were so paranoid and afraid to lower the shield even once in 10.000 years.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    There is also Shaladrassil, the world tree of Val'Shara. Knowing what lied under, it would be fitting if it means "Crown of Shadow."
    Then again, the name starts with shala.
    Not shal alone.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    This is wrong, most elves in Quel'thalas did not use magic but were addicted regardless, because they were all connected to the sunwell. The mere presence to the well caused the addiction.

That is because they were so paranoid and afraid to lower the shield even once in 10.000 years.
    Being connected to the Sunwell meant their bodies had a constant supply of magic. Hence they always had this magic energy in them.
    Once it was gone they got withdrawals and such.

And...Yes? I don't see what it has to do with my explanation of what an addiction and a dependency is. It is kinda weird they didn't even lower it once though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    Being connected to the Sunwell meant their bodies had a constant supply of magic. Hence they always had this magic energy in them.
    Once it was gone they got withdrawals and such.
    Which is precisely what the nightborne have, only that their energy source is corrupt and once the body doesn't get its fix it deteriorates, but they don't die.

And...Yes? I don't see what it has to do with my explanation of what an addiction and a dependency is. It is kinda weird they didn't even lower it once though.
    Their dependency is born from addiction, every highborn was addicted to magic after the well of eternity was gone and used different ways to cope. The Thalassians had the sunwell, nighborne the nightwell, shen'dralar had immol'thar and the elves in shandaral tried to copy the blue dragons ability to turn things into mana crystals to feed their hunger and killed themselves in the process, creating crystalsong forest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then again, the name starts with shala.
    Not shal alone.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    It's a fictional language invented on a napkin's corner. It does not have to be that consistant.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"