Thread: Rip Servers

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    Blizzard is very open and up front when the problem is on their end. AT&T handles their network and server connections, so its most likely an attack on AT&Ts end.

Blizzard is almost surely the target seeing as they've been targetted pretty regularly since they did that mass ban wave of cheaters in Overwatch, but they're not being misleading. The attack has to go through their service provider by default, and one of the services that service providers... uhh, provide is protection from attacks such as this(as much as can be done... DDoS is one of those annoyingly simple attacks that pretty much anyone with a bot can pull off that there is very little protection from).
    Apply 17th and 18th century law of the sea to DDOSers, treat them as pirates, subject to summary execution by any who capture? Deterrence counts as a form of protection, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Yes, I know. Some people are actually wishing harm upon others over a video game.
    My sister died because of a DDos attack.

Well that sucks, I was hoping to enjoy my night on wow...But apparently that is either not happening or will have to be severely delayed. Thanks script kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    ISPs need to start being more aggressive. My ISP when they notice a computer being involved in a DDOS they'll instantly cut internet access and notify the officials and owner about it. Even our government got involved with it last month, they are pushing quite severe punishments for it.
    Some of these botnets are millions of computers. That's gonna take time, no matter how aggressive they are - and all it takes is a couple of ISPs in countries where they don't care, and we're back right here, complaining.

The internet needs to evolve, but it's such a huge, massive earth-changing thing, it's gonna take a while to design and build and implement, to wipe out this kind of thing.

The edgy ddos kids parents must of stepped out of the house and they wanted some attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Skillslam View Post
    I got here as soon as I could to watch nerds fly into a frothing, pants-shitting rage over getting to play WoW only 23/7 instead of 24

Carry on
    so you are one of them ok..say hi to police

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    its wierd cause im on ts with my guild, and some of us are stuck out, well others are still playing, and perfectly fine
    Yeah. I've been fine for the last 4 ddos attacks. This is the first one Comcast is being effected.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    sounds like there is a way to stop it? Create extra servers to soak it up?
    Not really. The effort required to maintain "soak" servers would be insane compared to the simple "press a button, have infected computers everywhere spam servers" effort required to DDOS someone. DDOS is easy, DDOS prevention is not.

Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    This is what I was getting at, they claim it's certain ISP but I am affected and I have zero problems anywhere but their game. Sounds like they are just too cheap to fix their problem and would rather point fingers and pretend they are not at fault.
    You guys don't understand how it works....the DDOS attacks aren't going after an entire internet provider. They are going after the hardware that provides service for blizzard. All of that hardware is owned by an ISP. Thus an attack against an ISP. It won't affect all their customers, only the ones being routed through that hardware.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Deleted
    It is amazing how many people is about to kill the last boss of anywhere or just about to loot a legendary when the servers go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Agartha View Post
    Honestly how do we know they're telling the truth about getting DDOS'ed. It seems like a very convenient cover for server issues, it puts them beyond reproach.
    Nope. These things are able to be monitored by 3rd-parties. Such as: http://hp.ipviking.com/

Plus, they are a public company; they have to answer to their shareholders if they are found to be lying.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Screw sensitivity training. The world is not one giant safe-space. Adapt or be eatten is the name of the game.
    ...you might want to actually read what I wrote before jumping down my throat. It was very obviously sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianus View Post
    so you are one of them ok..say hi to police
    I doubt it. I feel the same as him. Watching people become irrational table flippers makes you shake your head.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Nerds raging is almost as entertaining as playing World of Warcraft.
    Not as entertaining as watching the douchebros come into the topic and show everyone how alpha they are by calling other people nerds.

On a video game forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Yes, I know. Some people are actually wishing harm upon others over a video game.
    It's more about people going out of their way to fuck with tens of thousands (or more) other people. There need to be severe consequences for those kinds of actions. This isn't like saying you wish Mother Theresa would get hit by a bus. (I know she's dead already)

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    Not really. The effort required to maintain "soak" servers would be insane compared to the simple "press a button, have infected computers everywhere spam servers" effort required to DDOS someone. DDOS is easy, DDOS prevention is not.
    just because its difficult doesnt mean they shouldnt put the effort forward. if its so easy to do and doesnt stop, it fucks over consumers. "It's too hard" isnt an excuse not to try.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Not as entertaining as watching the douchebros come into the topic and show everyone how alpha they are by calling other people nerds.

On a video game forum of all places.
    Just because I'm a nerd doesn't mean you're not a nerd.

Nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    No. They are wishing harm upon individuals who continually intrude in their privacy and interfere with their lives and services they paid for. And they should be allowed to wish for that and for justice to be done on what are criminals. Stop trying to strawman attack people for having different opinions. DDOSing is a crime and is not a legitimate form of protest. Like protestors who block traffic for the lols, they deserve to be run over for their stupidity and efforts at interfering with other people's lives.

Anyone who has Master Software, or the stuff that controls and directs the flow of DDOS traffic should be put on non-parole prison for 25 years to send a harsh message. Then loosen the penalty when you find it is not prevalent any longer.
    True this are not good people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    This is what I was getting at, they claim it's certain ISP but I am affected and I have zero problems anywhere but their game. Sounds like they are just too cheap to fix their problem and would rather point fingers and pretend they are not at fault.
    And here I am with no issues at all, and my server is full of people seemingly also without issues.

These attacks seem very targeted :P

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    just because its difficult doesnt mean they shouldnt put the effort forward. if its so easy to do and doesnt stop, it fucks over consumers.
    No. Son. You don't get it.

More servers == LOTS of effort.

DDOS == Almost no effort whatsoever.

It's like trying to dam the Mississippi with toilet paper. The river is just gonna keep on going, not giving a shit. Farming out a botnet is super super super super easy, stopping it is nigh impossible.