Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Derrick Rose rape accusations raise issues of consent

A lawyer recently said that New York Knicks guard Derrick Rose, who is accused in a civil lawsuit of raping a woman, doesn’t understand the meaning of consent. Do most people know what sexual consent is?

A study published last year by Planned Parenthood revealed some people, especially men, don't understand the meaning of consent. The study also said most people don't learn about sexual consent in middle school or high school, and most parents don't discuss it with their teens.

Jody Allard, a victim of rape and sexual abuse, wrote a parenting column in The Washington Post about her heart-wrenching conversations about sexual consent with her teenage boys.

While she was talking about the Stanford sexual assault case involving Brock Turner, one of her son’s said, "'No one is going to ask a girl before having sex with her,' because it’s awkward." He also said, "You can tell whether a girl is consenting without having to ask her."

The mother said: “My sons are part of the problem.”

Consent is “an agreement between participants to engage in sexual activity,” as defined by the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN).

Consent should happen before every sexual activity. “Having sex with someone in the past doesn’t give that person permission to have sex with you again in the future,” RAINN states.

Not asking for consent is part of the issue; interpreting the answer is another.

Last year, a British police department worked with an animation team to clarify sexual consent by comparing it using a cup of tea. The video went viral – even J.K. Rowling shared it.

The video explains that even if people say they want “tea,” they still can change their mind. It also talks about not forcing someone to drink “tea” if they are unconscious.

"Maybe they were conscious when you asked them if they wanted tea, and they said 'yes.' But in the time it took you to boil the kettle, brew the tea and add the milk, they are now unconscious. … Don’t make them drink the tea. … Unconscious people don’t want tea.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...sent/90509236/

Anyone else following this high profile case?

It's bizarre that a superstar, former MVP would do something like this!!

10+ Year Old Account
    You should teach these athletes!

This is pretty much it yah.

You need to define consent first before you can legislate it. And good luck keeping in the mood when you have to specifically ask permission before every act.

A lot of women actually do not find that attractive.

"Can I kiss you?"
    "Can I touch your breast?"
    "Can I kiss you some more ?"
    "Can I take your clothes off?"
    "Can I stick my penis in you?"

"Hold up, I didn't say you can suck my penis! RAPE!!!"
    Last edited by Asiwassaying; 2016-09-19 at 01:17 AM.

If only he had been born in Canada, this would had been avoided.

10+ Year Old Account

"You can tell whether a girl is consenting without having to ask her."

The mother said: “My sons are part of the problem.”
    According to the article, she's the problem. And their logic isn't flawed. If a girl drops her pants and doesn't say anything while she's making out with you, are you really going to stop and ask her "are you okay with me having sex with you?" According to some people you have to damn near have a contracted signed to have sexual consent.

Last year, a British police department worked with an animation team to clarify sexual consent by comparing it using a cup of tea.
    And it was a shit video.

And that team animation is stupid. Real life doesn't work that way. All these rape cases have not been a case of a person banging once and then assuming they can bang whenever.

It's more like

- person offered tea.
    - person accepts tea.
    - person decides mid sip (or after they finish) that they actually didn't want tea
    - it's still considered forcing tea in them.

I did t catch that scenario. Weird they left that one out. The one that is most common.

Deleted
    In my experience it's actually the girls who've come across sexually aggressive...

Humble brag

Sorry but putting it on men to ask permission is total BS and assumes men can't be rape victims. If a woman doesn't say no that's on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    According to the article, she's the problem. And their logic isn't flawed. If a girl drops her pants and doesn't say anything while she's making out with you, are you really going to stop and ask her "are you okay with me having sex with you?" According to some people you have to damn near have a contracted signed to have sexual consent.

And it was a shit video.
    Really? So you can't even say something romantic to confirm that she's ready? Sounds like you have some work to do.

Nothing gets a woman more dry than asking for permission.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Really? So you can't even say something romantic to confirm that she's ready? Sounds like you have some work to do.
    If she's on me then I've already said enough and should keep my mouth shut before I ruin it.

And what would hold up in court as positive affirmation of consent?

"Oh yeah you ready to do this?"
    Girl:"I'm gonna ride you like a pony"

5 months later.

"I what? I raped you?"
    Girl: "yeah. Turns out that after my friends found out. I realized I was drunk and I didn't actually tell you that you can smack my ass and do me doggy. You raped me."

Judge: "did you ask permission to slap her ass? Did you ask permission to change positions? Well the it's rape buddy. And she had drank a wine cooler that afternoon. So she couldn't consent anyway"

And how exactly would 'something romantic' qualify as legally binding 'consent'?

No means no is what consent is. Don't like it? Say no. Don't want it? Say no. Say 'stop'.

Humans shouldn't have to worry about obligatory legal nonsense before each and every single physical contact with another human; that is simply ridiculous.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

7+ Year Old Account
    A girl dropping her pants while making out with me isn't consent?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asiwassaying View Post
    And what would hold up in court as positive affirmation of consent?

"Oh yeah you ready to do this?"
    Girl:"I'm gonna ride you like a pony"

5 months later.

"I what? I raped you?"
    Girl: "yeah. Turns out that after my friends found out. I realized I was drunk and I didn't actually tell you that you can smack my ass and do me doggy. You raped me."

Judge: "did you ask permission to slap her ass? Did you ask permission to change positions? Well the it's rape buddy. And she had drank a wine cooler that afternoon. So she couldn't consent anyway"
    Please. This is fiction. Nobody gets convicted for this scenario.

Then stop suggesting a form of consent that borders on standards that you yourself deem fictional. What qualifies as 'positive consent' and what does not? Where do you draw the line and why?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

I'm done. You choose to blatantly ignore reality. I can't stop you. Go forth and spread your dogma

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Nothing gets a woman more dry than asking for permission.

Yet another reason why you should get married eh? When you have a loving wife, life becomes easier.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Then stop suggesting a form of consent that borders on standards that you yourself deem fictional. What qualifies as 'positive consent' and what does not? Where do you draw the line and why?

I would have just settled for him answering the question. If it's so straight forward. He should be able to explain exactly what is consent and provide us with a clear scenario.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet another reason why you should get married eh? When you have a loving wife, life becomes easier.
    So you're an advocate for "no sex before marriage?"