Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    because it's not a problem yet and for all we know will never BE a problem.
    Most amazing thing ever. We are bombarded with studies about mass joblessness, wages depression, food shortages , along with all the other things I said in the OP, and all you have to say is "nope overpopulation is not a problem." I think logic and evidence kinda stand against you on this one buddy.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are talking about it, it's just not a real problem so most people aren't dedicating energy to fighting about it online.

Reminded of this: Hillary Clinton tries to silence Bindi Irwin on population growth

The 14-year-old has stood her ground after an essay she was invited to write for US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's e-journal was drastically edited before it was to be published.

The young conservationist, daughter of the late "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin, was asked to write 800-1000 words on why she had chosen to devote her life's work to wildlife conservation.

The piece was supposed to be published in the December issue titled Go Wild Coming Together for Conservation as part of Secretary Clinton's endangered species initiative.
    But after writing exactly 1000 words urging society to address overpopulation, the former first lady's department returned it for final approval with most of it edited out.
    Terri Irwin, who is raising Bindi and her nine-year-old brother Robert at their Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast, said her daughter was less than impressed with the response from the US State Department.

"It's interesting that she was asked to write an essay about the environment and included the consideration of population (growth) and they returned her essay edited and completely edited that out," she said.

"So Bindi wrote to Hillary Clinton's organisation and said 'what happened to freedom of speech? This is my opinion and I don't want that edited out'."
    Mrs Irwin said Bindi, who is following in her father's footsteps in promoting nature conservation and helping preserve the planet, had become increasingly passionate about the cause in recent years.

The mother-of-two said population growth was an unpopular topic.
    "It's astounding that in just over 100 years we've gone from 1.5 billion people on the planet to 7 billion so you think 'what do we do in the next 100 years?' We're going to be warring over water and space and food," she said.

"I just think it's fascinating that when Bindi does an interview and talks about population, more than 50 per cent of the time it's edited out.

"It's something we do need to talk about or the ship's going to sink man."

[QUOTE=Nihilist74;42393632]With the increasing agricultural production, we are creating tons of pollution from nitrogen fertilizer. The nitrogen fertilizer is getting into our waters. This causes massive growth of algae that kills everything else in the water.

https://www.dosomething.org/facts/11-facts-about-factory-farms-and-environment

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Most amazing thing ever. We are bombarded with studies about mass joblessness, wages depression, food shortages , along with all the other things I said in the OP, and all you have to say is "nope overpopulation is not a problem." I think logic and evidence kinda stand against you on this one buddy.
    Also stands against you. It's called Confirmation Bias when you only cherry pick the studies that blame immigrants (yes even legal ones) but ignore all the studies that say otherwise.

yeah wow, a quarter of a paragraph OP with no evidence or effort in to back those claims up suuure makes me the intellectually lazy one here.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What about it? It balances out while the club crowd just wastes their life away.
    Immigrants have something to gain currently by having many children. One is they take advantage of welfare through their children since they cannot directly do it themselves. If immigration laws change and mass deportation becomes a reality, then you will see immigrant birthrates shrink back down. Looking at current polling data it looks like those possibilities have a chance of becoming reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    yeah wow, a quarter of a paragraph OP with no evidence or effort in to back those claims up suuure makes me the intellectually lazy one here.
    You are bombarded with studies about the things that I listed practically everyday on this forum and you don't see that? Lol delusional at the very least.

Correction there is a crapton of land that is either non-fertile or just far to economically costly to develop. The argument that "the earths entire population could fit on the state of Texas" is silly because it doesn't acknowledge that each person needs a fair amount of land just for themselves to survive. Plus it does not take into account that humans are greedy and will not share equally unless forced t. So I disagree with your statement that "overpopulation is not a problem," especially considering the laundry list of things that I posted in the OP that are already happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Now calculate in farm land needed to grow crops and livestock, cotton for food, land for generating energy to run our modern conveniences, roads for transportation, etc. Also calculate in the propensity of human greed.
    The notion of human greed though, plays right into what I'm saying in regards to wealth distribution being the real problem. The problem isn't that there are too many people for planet earth to handle. We are nowhere near that. The problem is that population distribution and wealth distribution are the cause of the issues you bring up in the OP.

Head to Canada and drive straight across the Trans Canada. This road stretches across the country, and includes the most hospitable and easily developed land we have. Examine just how much of it is empty. How much space there is. How much it could be developed. The land is there. This is just one example of us having ample space. It's the cost of doing anything that stops us. It's the fact that the people that need this space, this resource, this opportunity simply do not have the means to do anything about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If every human on earth was given the house on the left, how much space would it take up?
    But what about the view? And the beach house?
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Because it isn't a problem? There is a veritable crapton of land across the world that is uninhibited along with natural resources up the wazoo. The issue isn't overpopulation, the issue is that the land and resources are controlled by a teeny tiny percent of people. The issue isn't the number of people. It's distribution of wealth.
    4 replies is all it took for the nutjob to make its appearance.

Common sense should say something.

1 person generates plenty of trash, waste and it gets taken/flushed away. Out of sight, out of mind.
    7 billion...10 billion...every day?

It's no wonder that there are growing dead zones in the ocean, as well as big trash patches that continues to get larger.

You are bombarded with studies about the things that I listed practically everyday on this forum and you don't see that? Lol delusional at the very least.
    lol ok. I guess I missed the section of the forums dedicated to "overpopulation" my mistake, I'll rectify that. /puts on star trek DS9

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Also stands against you. It's called Confirmation Bias when you only cherry pick the studies that blame immigrants (yes even legal ones) but ignore all the studies that say otherwise.
    *Looks for studies otherwise.*

Um can't seem to find many of those. Maybe you can help?

For every one study you can come up what stating otherwise the list that I posted, I can come up with 10 to counter.

Deleted
    Last edited by mmoc66337a3447; 2016-11-05 at 09:59 AM. Reason: I fail at maths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Falling wages due to over supplies of labor, lack of jobs, food shortages, rising inflation costs, animal die offs, massive environmental degradation, infrastructure failure, high crime rates, etc. How can people not see that overpopulation is a problem?
    Because these are largely not due to "overpopulation".

Over supply of labor basically doesn't really exist, in the USA (sticking to the US, based on your location); unemployment's pretty reasonable right now.
    Lack of jobs? See above.
    Food shortages? Don't really exist, in the USA, and famines internationally aren't a major issue. We don't have a food supply issue, we have a food distribution issue.
    Inflation is a deliberate and desirable economic goal, as long as it's managed, and it's being kept reasonable.
    Animal die offs? You're going to have to be more specific, but this largely isn't due to "overpopulation".
    Massive environmental degradation? As with the above, this is pretty much entirely due to lax environmental controls. We could have a green and low-impact society next year, if we wanted to spend the money. We could've had it ten years ago, for that matter. The tech is there, we just can't be arsed to spend money on it.
    Infrastructure failure? This is an issue of low re-investment, not overpopulation.
    Crime rates are per-capita; population increases don't increase them.

youtube (dot) com/watch?v=-UbmG8gtBPM

Good documentary on this, only an hour long, strongly recommend it.

tl:dw
    The population has hit a peak in new children being born every year, the new issue is child mortality rates in third world countries are greatly declining and that new health care has greatly increased life spans everywhere. The planet is beginning to fill up with older people, causing this overpopulation

The only way to "Fix" it is to kill a bunch of people......do you want the government to pick what segment of the population they kill?
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Yeah I'm not sure If I'd want to live in a world so crowded - heck the suicide and STD rates are usually higher in high density areas. Even just psychologically there's simply too many people. Why live in one big mass population zone?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    The only way to "Fix" it is to kill a bunch of people......do you want the government to pick what segment of the population they kill?
    That's the most disturbing part about this. The only way to "fix" overpopulation is to literally kill people off. So who's getting murdered? Why isn't it you? If people were actually seriously concerned that there were too many of us, they'd contribute by offing themselves, but no, they want other people to be murdered, on their behalf, to protect their quality of life.

So who's getting sent to the gas chambers this time?

10+ Year Old Account
    We are bombarded with studies about mass joblessness, wages depression, food shortages , along with all the other things I said in the OP, and all you have to say is "nope overpopulation is not a problem." I think logic and evidence kinda stand against you on this one buddy.
    Nobody ever said those weren't problems.

They just aren't related to overpopulation.

It's like saying 'why isn't anyone talking about the corn situation' in regards to the war going on in the middle east
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab