Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Ranged DPS need a complete overhaul

Something needs to be done about ranged DPS. They are miserable in nearly 99.99% of the content in the game - from questing, to pvp, to 5 mans, to soloing. Ranged DPS are only fun when DPSing raid bosses, otherwise they are a miserable experience. Fire mage and hunter are the only two ranged DPS that bring anything to 5 mans right now, and I don't see much of a reason to only bring those two classes(as they also provide bloodlust) as the only ranged you to bring to raids.

There's also a huge problem of raid fights REQUIRING ranged for certain mechanics, yet ranged classes not fire mage/hunters do awful damage compared to melee and are not fun or enjoyable to play in the slightest.

I'm not sure what happened, but playing ranged DPS is a really really miserable experience compared to my melee and something huge needs to happen to fix them if they're going to continue to design raid fights where you NEED raid DPS to do them.
    Last edited by ShiyoKozuki; 2016-09-19 at 03:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahahahahahaha

That's rich.
    Welcome to a majority of WoW for melee
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Man, if you swapped 'ranged' for 'melee' that's about the last 6 years of WoW in a nutshell.

Deleted
    Melee needs to get nerfed into the ground, they have reigned for far too long already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiyoKozuki View Post
    They are miserable in nearly 99.99% of the content in the game
    I've heard that 99.99% of statistics are made up.

I'm sorry but I don't really agree. I'm enjoying playing arcane mage, MM hunter, and afflic lock on my alts. I haven't had an issue with damage, it's on par with people of the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Melee needs to get nerfed into the ground, they have reigned for far too long already.

Yea!

/rollingmyeyes

There is a reason why not so long ago. This game was called World of Rangecraft. Hence why there was several questions in Blizzard's Legion Q&A about encounters being MORE melee friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelraxx View Post
    Man, if you swapped 'ranged' for 'melee' that's about the last 6 years of WoW in a nutshell.
    EXACTLY!

Finally Melee dps specs have surpassed ranged in both quality and quantity!

Seriously tho. Is it a coincidence?
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

Deleted
    i ll rephrase 4 u:

Something needs to be done about ranged DPS. I AM miserable in nearly 99.99% of the content in the game...

check: has an anime name. check: is a lfr hero. The only thing that needs an overhaul is op.

They are miserable in nearly 99.99% of the content in the game
    I must ask you, what is the 00.01% they are not miserable at?

Quote Originally Posted by americandavey View Post
    Yea!

/rollingmyeyes

There is a reason why not so long ago. This game was called World of Rangecraft. Hence why there was several questions in Blizzard's Legion Q&A about encounters being MORE melee friendly.

EXACTLY!
    More like melee just needed to L2P and RL needed to stop listening to the BS about how melee were terrible. We all know that it was just a PR stunt that claimed that melee were "useless" yet they all still beat hunters and the majority of range. It was just that they weren't topping, and we all know what happens when you're not top in WoW. You're shit, is what happens. You might as well be versatility if you're not top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Whilst I don't know how it is for other Hunter Specs and ranged classes, I'm enjoying running dungeons and PvE content with my BM Hunter. My only grievance being we can no longer manually restore Focus unless we use Aspect or Dire Beast is off CD or has the Auto-attack rng proc that never occurs when you want/need it to and always happens right before you summon your first beast at the start of an encounter -_- . Also what's wrong with bringing hunters and Fire Mages to raids?
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    check: has an anime name. check: is a lfr hero. The only thing that needs an overhaul is op.
    Savage son!

They made all ranged classes except Fire Mages and Hunters have absolutely shit AoE and long ramp-up.

Elemental Shamans? Used to be fucking amazing at AoE/Cleave in WoD, now they are fucking dumpster trash in that department, and single-target situation hasn't changed for them.

Boomkins? By the time you've applied Moonfire to everything, mobs are already at 20%/dead.

Shadow Priests? LUL.

Warlocks? Only Affli has decent AoE, but you are miserable at cleave/ST. Also your talent decisions make you good at 1 thing, but shit at others for every spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    They made all ranged classes except Fire Mages and Hunters have absolutely shit AoE and long ramp-up.

Elemental Shamans? Used to be fucking amazing at AoE/Cleave in WoD, now they are fucking dumpster trash in that department, and single-target situation hasn't changed for them.

Boomkins? By the time you've applied Moonfire to everything, mobs are already at 20%/dead.

Shadow Priests? LUL.

Warlocks? Only Affli has decent AoE, but you are miserable at cleave/ST. Also your talent decisions make you good at 1 thing, but shit at others for every spec.
    One thing I agree with totally is Elemental use to be AoE Kings/Queens. Really the problem for most classes is this long ramp up to do something.

I play MM. It needs a bit of ramp up/luck to do well on AoE. However, I out dps myself doing MM versus BM and my artifacts are almost the same. I regret pumping so much into my BM artifact thinking it was the shizzle. MM if you know what you are doing can pump out some really high numbers.

I haven't played other range: spriest is horrible since the pre-patch, so not going to 110. We all know locks are meh...they are always last on dps when I do 5 mans. That class in all specs needs major love. Can't comment on boomkin but mages are unreal...fire mages dps is insane!

Well,to those who are saying,that the situation is "cool" and "fine" and what's wrong with having mages and hunters in raid - nothing is wrong,but following such logic,maybe let's just remove all the other classes,since they can't put up in tanking/healing/dpsing charts and go down to this raid model:
    1)warrior tanks
    2)resto druid/holy paladin
    3)subtlety rogue/DH/WW monk;
    4)fire mage and BM hunter.

You really think,that such "variety" of classes represented in the raid is fun?That only 2 ranged dps classes at the moment are viable and decent for the raiding (I don't even want to talk about the horrible state of warlocks) is fine and others seem like they were made for the mass?

Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    You really think,that such "variety" of classes represented in the raid is fun?That only 2 ranged dps classes at the moment are viable and decent for the raiding (I don't even want to talk about the horrible state of warlocks) is fine and others seem like they were made for the mass?
    Demonology isn't as bad as people paint it. It has far too much ramp up time.

Elemental doesn't have much sustain but has fantastic burst and utility.

Hunter specs (Survival is obviously Melee now) are all in a good spot, though MM is king and Beast Mastery is better for AOE (at least in a dungeon setting).

Shadow's great.

Fire Mage is great.

Balance is great.

Dunno what you're on about "2 ranged classes are viable". Spec's need more balancing for sure but don't go "the sky is falling" when it's really not. Extremes don't make forum ramblings anymore credible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Demonology isn't as bad as people paint it. It has far too much ramp up time.

Elemental doesn't have much sustain but has fantastic burst and utility.

Hunter specs (Survival is obviously Melee now) are all in a good spot, though MM is king and Beast Mastery is better for AOE (at least in a dungeon setting).

Shadow's great.

Fire Mage is great.

Balance is great.

Dunno what you're on about "2 ranged classes are viable". Spec's need more balancing for sure but don't go "the sky is falling" when it's really not. Extremes don't make forum ramblings anymore credible.
    Extremes?Alright.I guess that's the reason why so "many" are playing as elemental,demo,SP,balance,right?And also I presume,that you have all of those above mentioned classes at 110,geared and readied for the wednesday,don't you?

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't say much for their performance, but as a 10 year main this is the least fun Ive ever had playing an Ele shaman. AoE went from amazing feeling & DPS to clunky dogshit. Earthquake totem needs to die in a hole, bring back old EQ that I can pre-place. Or hell, go back to MoP chain lightning spam - anything would be better than this shit. And whats up with lightning bolt? This spell is so weak that it shouldn't even have a cast time. But the final nail in the coffin for me is Stormkeeper. Their artifact ability literally made me quit the spec and reroll a death knight.
    HEROES NEVER DIE