Page 1 of 2
LastLast

does disc have a place in a raid?

i havent raid seriously since wotlk and i always though disc is for pvp and holy for pve , is that true now? we are 3 priest in the guild , 2 are healers and 1 is dps , is it better for the healers to split into disc and holy or both should go holy? is disc good for mythic dungeons?

Power Word Barrier and Pain suppression will always have a place in a raid.

Discs healing is harder and has less output than previously, but now they have more significant damage output.

They do struggle in mythics and mythic+ will be difficult.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tiptopmemer View Post
    Discs healing is harder
    Yes. (than previously)

and has less output than previously
    No.

They do struggle in mythics
    I don't.

and mythic+ will be difficult.
    We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    i havent raid seriously since wotlk and i always though disc is for pvp and holy for pve , is that true now? we are 3 priest in the guild , 2 are healers and 1 is dps , is it better for the healers to split into disc and holy or both should go holy? is disc good for mythic dungeons?
    Disc is definitely as viable for PvE as any other healing spec. You'll have to get the hang of it at first but once you have, it's a lot of fun and no problem healing mythics at all. As for the splitting into disc and holy - that would only be a concern for raiding and I guess there will be encounters where disc+holy makes sense and others where holy+holy makes more sense.
    Last edited by mmoce6438d9a93; 2016-09-18 at 08:58 PM.

Disc is an annoying supplementary class now. Its output is strong, but it uses so much more mana than all the other healers to do good healing that you can't rely on it to be "a healer", really, since its constant healing is weak (though more than sufficient in 5 mans, where all the encounters are short and you can drink constantly). Disc is more like a character that mainly provides really strong healer cooldowns while doing really minor healing and dps the rest of the time.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Disc is an annoying supplementary class now. Its output is strong, but it uses so much more mana than all the other healers to do good healing that you can't rely on it to be "a healer", really, since its constant healing is weak (though more than sufficient in 5 mans, where all the encounters are short and you can drink constantly). Disc is more like a character that mainly provides really strong healer cooldowns while doing really minor healing and dps the rest of the time.
    As holy I would drink every 2nd pull. As disc with the same gear, I can go a whole instance drinking only to top off maybe 30% before a boss, unless something went horrifically wrong. Atonement and PW:S are way more efficient than almost all of the holy kit, especially flash heal/prayer of healing, done properly.

I'm not so sure disc will have a place in high end progression raids anymore. Even if our throughput could match other healers, our dps will be not that significant due to the time spent maintaining attonement on a large number of players. And even if there was considerable downtime to dps during the encounter, almost any other healer can match our damage output, which I think is the biggest mistake right there.

Sure we still have a spammable PWS every 2 minutes, but those absorbs are not as gamebreaking anymore either. Previously you would increase someones effective health by a great amount which is no longer the case due to the nature of Legion healing.
    Last edited by makketota; 2016-09-19 at 01:20 AM.

IMO Disc is quite strong and will absolutely be brought to raids, but that doesn't mean that every Disc is going to get a raid spot. It is very easy to misplay and you get punished hard for mistakes. It's OK that the spec is a hard to play, but the community (including GMs) will have a poor perception of it. You can already see in this thread how Disc "struggles in mythics" lmao, give me a break... I think this will be a very tiring expansion for Discs who read forums.

7+ Year Old Account
    Disc is an annoying supplementary class now. Its output is strong, but it uses so much more mana than all the other healers to do good healing
    Use less mana on my 824 disc than I do on my 847 MWer. Was actually quite shocked that I could go whole dungeons without thinking about mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Aailania View Post
    As holy I would drink every 2nd pull. As disc with the same gear, I can go a whole instance drinking only to top off maybe 30% before a boss, unless something went horrifically wrong.
    Same.

This isn't Vanilla; every single class/spec has a place in raids.

Haven't really had any noticeable mana or healing issues, even when starting Mythic dungeons in crappy gear. Iv'e had the odd testing pug group but thats just down to bad play or really low gear.

Besides the cooldowns, we bring some amazing burst healing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amilee View Post
    Yes. (than previously)

No.

I don't.

We'll see.

Disc is definitely as viable for PvE as any other healing spec. You'll have to get the hang of it at first but once you have, it's a lot of fun and no problem healing mythics at all. As for the splitting into disc and holy - that would only be a concern for raiding and I guess there will be encounters where disc+holy makes sense and others where holy+holy makes more sense.
    How much dps are you pulling on average boss fights? I'd like to compare to what I've seen my guild's holy priests pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    How much dps are you pulling on average boss fights? I'd like to compare to what I've seen my guild's holy priests pull.
    Such a comparison doesn't make any sense. A discipline priest does damage while being at full throughput. A holy priest doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by GT4 View Post
    Such a comparison doesn't make any sense. A discipline priest does damage while being at full throughput. A holy priest doesn't.
    Maybe it doesn't make sense in the world where you need full throughput 100% of the time, but I don't think that's the world we currently live in.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    It obviously depends on a lot of factors and I haven't taken notes, so this is only a ballpark figure: 140k dps

edit: Another way to "visualize" it: In mythics I'm usually closer to the lowest damage dealer than to the tank.
    Last edited by mmoce6438d9a93; 2016-09-19 at 08:45 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GT4 View Post
    I don't understand your point. The optimal specialization is the one which keeps the group alive while doing the most dps.

I played some disc at hcs and it looks ok , it cant handle terrible situations as easily as a holy but at least it can nuke while providing some support , this will be usefull for some encounters and bad for others , if the damage is focused on tank and occasioly on the rest then i think its pointless to have 2 holy , if on the other hand the pressure is too great then 2 holy is better , i dont think barrier and pain suppression are enough because you lose divine hymn and guardian anyway and obviously apotheosis , so you trade some cds for other cds.

So its a kinda messed up situation but i think disc's job will vary from boss to boss , some bosses he will have to focus on shadowmelding while on others he will have to focus on smiting. Some guilds may inv a disc as a pure smiting machine who will use attonement but never shadowmeld and will also use purge the wicked , this kind of priest is not healer at all because smite and dot are too weak but i guess they are good for support , this kind of priest will obviously not be responsible to keep his group up and will basically be a dps as his primary role , a *healer* priest will most likely have to shadowmeld a lot during raids because raids arent easy and you cant save anyone with smite and dot. This is interesting overall , disc will be like tbc feral , it can fullfill 2 different roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    Right now, the general consensus appears to be that Discipline are the least effective 5-man healers. I do not know of any PvP consensus, but I haven't been tracking it.

In terms of raids, we won't really know until we start getting large numbers of logs from Legion-era raids. The post-7.0.3 WoD logs tend to indicate Discipline will not be a highly desired healer, but different content, scaling and artifact weapons could easily change this.

My personal suspicion is that neither Priest healing spec will be particularly desired for raids since they bring minimal utility and their raw output isn't dramatically better than other options.

I don't understand all of the people saying Disc doesn't have a place in a raid. We have insane burst healing and we bring DPS which will help with progression. When Power of the Darkside procs, you can bring up the raid if you pre-apply your atonements. Not to mention the ridiculous healing you can do with Light's Wrath with 15-18 atonements out.

Let's wait for the logs this week but I have a feeling we will be #2 or #3 behind RDruid.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalcyst17 View Post
    I don't understand all of the people saying Disc doesn't have a place in a raid. We have insane burst healing and we bring DPS which will help with progression. When Power of the Darkside procs, you can bring up the raid if you pre-apply your atonements. Not to mention the ridiculous healing you can do with Light's Wrath with 15-18 atonements out.

Let's wait for the logs this week but I have a feeling we will be #2 or #3 behind RDruid.

I dont say discos are not good on raid. But also an insane insane burst healing........is to much to say haha. without the Power of the Darkside even penance will no raise to much the people. And the weapon skill will need 42938434 peeple with the buff to be useful, otherwise a penance will heal close the same....maybe even more with Power of the Darkside. Damn, actually on the dungeons penance heals more than the weapon skill hahaha

Maybe it doesn't make sense in the world where you need full throughput 100% of the time, but I don't think that's the world we currently live in.
    It doesn't make any sense because it entirely depends on the context (the context being a) how much healing is required and b) what type of healing is required). There's absolutely no point in throwing effectively random numbers around and comparing those.