Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    You're looking at a "scone" with a white gravy which is essentially béchamel sauce (link) made with the rendered fat from cooked sausage, and the sausage (according to me) gets re-introduced after the sauce is made.
    It's not good if there's no sausage in it, imo.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryzo View Post
    o.o Looks tasty!

Anyone mind explaining what I'm actually looking at? Being from the UK, biscuits and gravy in the literal sense means something else entirely xD These look awfully like scones... but I'd never argue against a breakfast food.
    In the South, when you deglaze a skillet you make gravy. Lots and lots of foods in the South feature gravy. Homemade, the stuff left over after you cooked up some sausage is turned into a gravy. That gravy is then poured over a biscuit, akin to scones to your Brits, not escatly the same thing but simular. Biscuits in America are a more dense, more moist, more tender. Biscuits are somewhere between sliced bread and scone. The gravy is like what you'd find in bangers and mash but thicker and with the sausage mixed in.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Looks really similar to chicken sauce vol-au-vent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I like it when it has sausage in it. But it has to be seasoned. When people try to make "low salt" gravy, I am just scandalized.
    My family is from Kentucky/Ireland and they've been using this gross ass heavy lard laden chicken gravy recipe for years and I just could not even get into it and dreaded fried chicken nights sometimes. On occasion, my mom would go easy and just use cans of cream and mushroom with the leftover fat and that tasted waaaaay better to me on my mashed potatoes.

Suffice to say, I only use light gravy (similar to KFC's but less savory) I make myself with fried chicken or the cream and mushroom version.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You don't defile a biscuit in such an unholy way.

no! biscuits and gravy with nice pieces of sausage is the best ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    My family is from Kentucky/Ireland and they've been using this gross ass heavy lard laden chicken gravy recipe for years and I just could not even get into it and dreaded fried chicken nights sometimes. On occasion, my mom would go easy and just use cans of cream and mushroom with the leftover fat and that tasted waaaaay better to me on my mashed potatoes.

Suffice to say, I only use light gravy (similar to KFC's but less savory) I make myself with fried chicken or the cream and mushroom version.
    Sounds like a bad recipe, no offense to your family!
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

biscuits yes, gravy no

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never seen this in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Very much. The only problem I have is some people like to put small pieces of sausage in them. I have nothing against sausage but sometimes people make it too spicy and it gives me heartburn.
    Spicy sausage in country gravy sounds gross.

I like mine with breakfast sausage seasoned with sage. Mix in some black pepper for extra flavor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Love biscuits and gravy, in fact I might go have some for breakfast when I wake up. I'm thinking two biscuits with gravy with a side of bacon. Tbh the gravy is really what I'm after, more often than not my "traditional" breakfast is two eggs over easy, side of bacon, toast, hash browns covered in gravy, and orange juice. Bacon gets dipped in the gravy, and the toast sops up the runny egg deliciousness.

I would not get along with anyone who doesn't like biscuits and gravy.

Chicken fried steak comes from Germany where they called it a schnitzel. It might've been changed to "chicken fried steak" during WWI when the US purged all things German from the country even though like 1 of 5 people in the US claim German ethnicity. You couldn't even teach the German language in school.

But they didn't change the name of hamburgers or frankfurters though in most places they call frankfurters "hotdogs".

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Love em, I love to make some semi crispy bacon to dip in the the gravy, a nice peppered sausage gravy.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Chicken fried steak comes from Germany where they called it a schnitzel. It might've been changed to "chicken fried steak" during WWI when the US purged all things German from the country even though like 1 of 5 people in the US claim German ethnicity. You couldn't even teach the German language in school.
    Not sure about the name change from schnitzel, but I do know that the reason of chicken fried steaks popularity in the south is mostly to do with the large population of German immigrants that settled in Texas. That coupled with Texas being a large beef producing state, spread CFS' popularity.

But they didn't change the name of hamburgers or frankfurters though in most places they call frankfurters "hotdogs".
    Actually they did somewhat change the name from hamburger to liberty sandwiches, obviously it didn't stick but the anti-German attitude at the time nearly nixed the burger in America. That'd be a weird concept considering how "All-American" the burger has become.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahkesis View Post
    Love them.

Totally do not eat them often because of nutritional content. I find I don't like it when people make the gravy for me, I prefer to use the 75 year old recipe that I grew up eating, although to be fair I cheat like a mother fucker on the biscuits and buy frozen southern style grands biscuits. I eat it maybe once or twice a year.
    If you love them, eat them more often. It's not like the calories and carbs from biscuits and gravy are somehow more evil than other calories and carbs.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

The closest comparison to biscuits and gravy (far inferior ones also) would be shit on a shingle and chipped beef on toast. Another comparison is like a deconstructed pot pie without vegetables.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scones are supposed to be eaten with jam and clotted cream, whilst drinking tea and saying what a pleasant day it is and that you hope it will remain pleasant for the weekend.

Not covering them in what looks like the sauce that you find in a chicken pie, it even looks like someone has eaten all the chunks of meat. What kind of a bastard would do that?

Like this...

Scones are a lot harder than biscuits, at least in America. A scone is more like a fluffy cookie and crunchy. A biscuit is more like a croissant but more savory and rugged.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Sounds like a bad recipe, no offense to your family!
    There's a reason I don't use it, so yeah, I agree. No offense taken.

I modified and changed many of their things to my own liking and use corn starch in my gravies instead of their flour among other changes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Scones are supposed to be eaten with jam and clotted cream, whilst drinking tea and saying what a pleasant day it is and that you hope it will remain pleasant for the weekend.

Not covering them in what looks like the sauce that you find in a chicken pie, it even looks like someone has eaten all the chunks of meat. What kind of a bastard would do that?

Like this...

Mixing both are good! Savory and sweet! Have your cake and eat it too!

Now be a true rebel and take the scone/biscuit and fill the middle with jam/jelly and then dip it in a gravy.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Mixing both are good! Savory and sweet! Have your cake and eat it too!

Now be a true rebel and take the scone/biscuit and fill the middle with jam/jelly and then dip it in a gravy.
    A scone with jam dipped in gravy sounds like something Northerners would eat. I am from the Home Counties, we can afford to have separate courses.