Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Destruction vs trash in 5 mans

Hi, I just dinged 110 on my lock and doing 5 mans really is not fun! The vast majority of 5 man content is AOE and you really don't have any way to do good AOE damage, and it's not interesting or fun to deal AOE damage as this spec.

Bosses are really fun, but trash is not at all.

Am I doing something completely wrong? I have a lot of fun AOEing trash on my UH DK but it's not fun at all on destro.

7+ Year Old Account
    Fire and Brimstone and havoc. I don't know about you but I do quite a decent amount of AOE DPS on my warlock.

This is the build I personally use for 5 mans. Keeping Reverse Entropy and Eradication so I don't give up too much damage on bosses. However this is primarily because I have very high haste and can generate soul shards quickly to chain cast Rain of Fire on large pulls and pump out multiple Chaos Bolts in windows of when Havoc is up. At low haste values something like this might work better, as it is more replacing the AoE of Rain of Fire.

I use the second linked spec but with channel demonfire.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiyoKozuki View Post
    I use the second linked spec but with channel demonfire.
    Channel Doomfire is not an ability I'd recommend going with. It's not AoE like many people think, it will only shoot out 15 bolts REGARDLESS of how many targets there are.

Destro has some of the best trash AoE, so...

Take:
    Shadowburn
    Reverse Entropy/Cata (cata isnt necessary and will diminish your ST dmg slightly, but its great if your tank pulls a lot of trash together)
    N/A
    Eradication (FnB really isnt needed, but its fine aswell)
    N/A
    Grim of Sac
    Wreak Havoc

Apply immolate to all mobs (either with cata, or by havocing a target to get 2 immolates per immolate cast)
    RoF spam (filling with conflags on your non-havoc'd target to get more embers. your immolates should do the rest of the work)
    Personally I never run out of embers for RoF, because by that time, targets should have been low enough to shadowburn, and return even more embers.
    Graviity

Destro is the only spec achieving respecytable aoe burst and overall good dps for a ranged. At ilvl830 you can manage around 200-230k dps simply thanks to GoSac + Havoc and conflag shadowburns spam.

Havoc Main Target A
    Immolate Target B
    Conflag x2 Target B
    Shadowburn x5+ (soul conduit) Target B.

Repeat with new targets when B dies. No rain of fire, no channeling almost no casting (only immolate).
    Works a charm in pvp as well.

Shadow Power (GoSac proc) should be with Shadowburn your dps source nr 1 and 2

It is really RNG based though as you multiply insta spams to exploit our Mastery and procs of Shadow Power. You also need some Artefact development for it to work (obviously, Shadow Power boost and then Conflag crit boost)
    Last edited by Gratlim; 2016-09-19 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiyoKozuki View Post
    you really don't have any way to do good AOE damage, and it's not interesting or fun to deal AOE damage as this spec.
    You have Cataclysm, Wreak Havoc and Sacrifice, and if you're really going for AoE, Fire and Brimstone. More than enough to keep up on trash while still doing reasonably well on bosses.

One word. Cataclysm. Take that talent, you have some traits that boost your Immolate damage for the Destro Artifact. If you add Fire and Brimstone, your AoE dps is quite impressive.
    Last edited by discoslice; 2016-09-19 at 05:43 AM.

I went Reverse Entropy or else I risk falling asleep while CB is casting, but I do just fine with Shadowburn and Wreak Havoc, just put up a RoF and Immolate everything, watch the shards roll in.

Quote Originally Posted by Inshabel View Post
    I went Reverse Entropy or else I risk falling asleep while CB is casting, but I do just fine with Shadowburn and Wreak Havoc, just put up a RoF and Immolate everything, watch the shards roll in.
    Thing with Reverse Entropy is, despite the reduced mana cost on RoF it's still mostly a single target talent, and even then still worse than Mana Tap. Cata is significantly better on anything >= 2 targets and scales much better when more and more targets are present, so there's almost no reason to not go with Cata.

7+ Year Old Account
    Aslong as you specc accordingly, as the others have said, youre pretty good on trash in dungeons. its the 15second bossfights we kinda suck at. which doesnt really matter
    Former highend raider. Now highend moron

Deleted
    I handle it this way :
    - Cata =>Immolates everywhere
    - RoF with 100% uptime
    - Shadowburn shotguns (sometimes refund with soul Conduit) with conflag shots or FnB Incinertae when low on shards
    - Havoc when up and with lots of shard => duplicate at least 7 Shadowburns
    400k with 4/5 adds, flat increase with more mobs. Not DH output, but still vety competitive.

I run this talent build in 5 mans http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/w...struction/cI6c
    On trash packs I simply conflag and then spam backdrafted incinerates, with gosac and fnb you'll do 600k dps easily depending on how many mobs are there.

First of all, Sacrifice is a must, as well as the trait that adds 50% damage to it.

Option A: Take Cataclysm and the shard regen from 5-6 immolated targets should allow you to stack Rain of Fire decently (use conflagrate to get a shard for extra Rain if you are somehow starved). Cataclysm will be available every other pull, so in the meantime your best bet is to immolate 3-4 targets and using Havoc to cleave to a second target. When the adds start getting low then use mousover macros to move Havoc to a good target and snipe low health mobs with Shadowburn. You will be swimming in shards and you can keep sniping untill all trash is dead. It's a lot more work than Demon Hunters or BM hunters, but it can produce reasonable results.

This build is good for somewhat harder content, where you will not be doing massive pulls and the extended cleave will help tons. It's also really good when boss adds/trash are generally spread out (i.e. Thicket with all the casters, Hellya with her tentacles etc.)

Option B: pick Backdraft and Fire and Brimstone, and skip the cleave talents (Shadowburn, Wreak Havoc). Less work, more consistent damage at large packs, but with 2-4 mobs the lack of an empowered Havoc will be painful. On the plus side, Backdraft is also a slight increase to Single Target. So if you are doing easier content and your tank pulls 2+ groups at once, this is the way to go. In some places however FnB is a death wish, as it can easily pull extra if you're not carefull (Maw in the ship, Eye of Azshara), kinda like Barrage.

Quote Originally Posted by striderZA View Post
    Thing with Reverse Entropy is, despite the reduced mana cost on RoF it's still mostly a single target talent, and even then still worse than Mana Tap. Cata is significantly better on anything >= 2 targets and scales much better when more and more targets are present, so there's almost no reason to not go with Cata.
    I know, like I said I think the base CB casttime is way too high, I don't actually believe it's an AoE talent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stack haste until like 25% (then it's still good but not mission critical).

Your Chaos Bolt will be reasonably fast then or at least it won't feel like you are pulling your entrails out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

Your Chaos Bolt will be reasonably fast then or at least it won't feel like you are pulling your entrails out.
    Yeah I've gained like 10% haste since the last time I played with Cata, I'll spec back and see how it feels now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

CB on trashs ? Really not convinced.
    I'm currently 28% haste (9k) and my CB are 2.35s.
    That's still insanely long, for a very limited add-value (for trashs, again).
    In the same time I could almost go with 2 FnB Incinerate and 1 Shadowburn.

I would really avoid CB on trashs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixLite View Post
    CB on trashs ? Really not convinced.
    I'm currently 28% haste (9k) and my CB are 2.35s.
    That's still insanely long, for a very limited add-value (for trashs, again).
    In the same time I could almost go with 2 FnB Incinerate and 1 Shadowburn.

I would really avoid CB on trashs.
    Depends purely on amount of adds, if it's like 6+? F&B/RoF all the way... 5 or less? Chaos Bolt with Wreck Havoc.