Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sony will lose same sales, we already know that by the fact a couple people here have said it. I don't think it was a good business move. That being said, by the time UHD is mainstream enough it will be time for the PS5.

Anyone who wants VR will pretty much go for the PRO over an Xbox S, so they have that market covered until Scorpio.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Sony will lose same sales, we already know that by the fact a couple people here have said it. I don't think it was a good business move. That being said, by the time UHD is mainstream enough it will be time for the PS5.

Anyone who wants VR will pretty much go for the PRO over an Xbox S, so they have that market covered until Scorpio.
    To add to this anyone interested in a Ps4 should go pro over the slim and OG model. The slim model makes zero sense, like I said before.

With as big as games are on the Ps4 the 1TB hard drive is a must, Even more so if you buy more then 1st party exclusives. Then there is the hardware boost that will be useful for those wanting VR or run games better over all.

Like you said by the time UHD is mainstream Ps5 (or there next model ps4) will be out and it can be in that. Keeping cost down was a smart move, even more so when people lose there minds if the system cost more then $400.

$400 is the sweet spot on console releases.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish people, especially public media understand the difference between retail price versus bill of material. BoM is way lower than the msrp. Despite that the margin is thin or even negative. Issue is logistics and retailer cuts and what not. A $10-15 addition to the BoM doesn't discount the logistics of ordering, shipping, and implementing a new item into production and so forth.

To put into perspective, though completely different product area, my cousin that works in manufacturing noted that the top margin for phone was Apple iPhone with around $18 per unit, this is a $650 phone. Then the low end the LG G5(?) was a $0.01, yes, one cent per sale. Everything below that was selling at loss. The "cheap" to us can and will be relatively expensive. You can argue that Xbox S is cheaper yes, but realize that old SoC are well, old and cheaper on a old node process, in turn lower BoM.

This isn't necessarily a defense for Sony more so a clear up. A $10 cost can be the difference between profit and loss. Sure it sucks but I can understand it on thr business end.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-09-19 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I wish people, especially public media understand the difference between retail price versus bill of material. BoM is way lower than the msrp. Despite that the margin is thin or even negative. Issue is logistics and retailer cuts and what not. A $10-15 addition to the BoM doesn't discount the logistics of ordering, shipping, and implementing a new item into production and so forth.

To put into perspective, though completely different product area, my cousin that works in manufacturing noted that the top margin for phone was Apple iPhone with around $18 per unit, this is a $650 phone. Then the low end the LG G5(?) was a $0.01, yes, one cent per sale. Everything below that was selling at loss. The "cheap" to us can and will be relatively expensive. You can argue that Xbox S is cheaper yes, but realize that old SoC are well, old and cheaper on a old node process, in turn lower BoM.

This isn't necessarily a defense for Sony more so a clear up. A $10 cost can be the difference between profit and loss. Sure it sucks but I can understand it on thr business end.
    Yep and I rather the system cost $400 and no UHRBR then to spend $450 and it have one. People keep comparing the Ps4 Pro to the Xbox One S when that is a really bad comparison.

The Xbox One S is using hardware that is like 5 years old (and a HD that's older) while the Ps4 Pro is using AMD's new polaris tech on both the GPU and CPU. Then you got the 1TB hard drive as well along with there new model ps4 controller.

Comparing the Xbox One S to the Ps4 Pro is like comparing a Ps3 to a Ps4.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-09-19 at 04:37 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    People can claim physical media is dead all they want but it's the opposite of that
    Dead no.

Is it in a state of life as an OAP moaning about the good old days? Yes. Sales of physical media are down, streaming is rising. More and more people are getting into Fibre optics and beyond. When it comes to the Scorpio player it's an expensive machine that likely doesn't have the market to warrant the costs. Scorpio is not going to be sub $500 and has previous generations have shown people will rather flock to a console that has less power if it is cheaper if the offset isn't that major.

The 4k player isn't likely to take off. Hell Blu ray really didn't take off like DVDs or VHS did, yeah it's good to have but I know no one who has a blu ray player that isn't the PS3/4 of Xbox one. Not just that but outside of the hardcore few people don't want the clutter in their house when they can get what they want to watch on demand. Why wait for a delivery or go out in the rain when I can simply click a button and stream said movie whenever I want. The 4k Player is just going to up the costs of Scorpio and likely be a shot in the foot for Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    The 4k Player is just going to up the costs of Scorpio and likely be a shot in the foot for Microsoft.
    You mean like it upped the cost of the Xbox One S? Oh wait...

Dead no.

Is it in a state of life as an OAP moaning about the good old days? Yes. Sales of physical media are down, streaming is rising. More and more people are getting into Fibre optics and beyond. When it comes to the Scorpio player it's an expensive machine that likely doesn't have the market to warrant the costs. Scorpio is not going to be sub $500 and has previous generations have shown people will rather flock to a console that has less power if it is cheaper if the offset isn't that major.

The 4k player isn't likely to take off. Hell Blu ray really didn't take off like DVDs or VHS did, yeah it's good to have but I know no one who has a blu ray player that isn't the PS3/4 of Xbox one. Not just that but outside of the hardcore few people don't want the clutter in their house when they can get what they want to watch on demand. Why wait for a delivery or go out in the rain when I can simply click a button and stream said movie whenever I want. The 4k Player is just going to up the costs of Scorpio and likely be a shot in the foot for Microsoft.
    A lot of assumptions and personal conjecture there to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You mean like it upped the cost of the Xbox One S? Oh wait...
    If the cost of the slim is over $200 then yes it is upping the costs. Since the rest of the hardware is 5 years old. Which in real terms puts it in the ancient territory.

If the cost of the slim is over $200 then yes it is upping the costs. Since the rest of the hardware is 5 years old. Which in real terms puts it in the ancient territory.
    The MSRP on the S is the exact same that the regular system was before it came out, and the exact same as the new PS4 slim. Good luck building your $200 PC that can compete with an Xbox One though bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    A lot of assumptions and personal conjecture there to say the least.
    Physcial Media dying isn't a assumption its a fact....sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

The MSRP on the S is the exact same that the regular system was before it came out, and the exact same as the new PS4 slim. Good luck building your $200 PC that can compete with an Xbox One though bro.
    OMG so your telling me the MSRP for tech that's over 5 years old hasn't changed much....shocker.

Once again you do realize the Ps4 has new tech in it and yes the UHDB would have upped the cost. Also Remilia covered this quite well go read there post. If anyone has the data to see if UHDB is worth its Sony. So fucken what it doesn't have it, its a niche market who has it and if they have it then they already got it.

Sony learned trying to sell a system above $400 is a stupid idea and adding in a UHDB would have made it cost above $400.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    The VR headset displays two 1080p screens (one each eye) if I recall right.

As for the system you must install hardcopy's and then have the disk in to play them. The disk acts like a key and once you boot up the game it rarely spins the disk since its all installed. Digital copy's work the same as pc, but u can play them offline once installed.

Game size's can be quite large (30gig+) on installs not counting DLC.
    But what can i expect? How big of a screen would i see? (in Tv inches) and can i watch movies via the VR glasses?
    Last edited by mmoce38467a1b7; 2016-09-20 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotmore View Post
    But what can i expect? How big of a screen would i see? (in Tv inches)
    Not sure I haven't tried the PSVR headset. I do believe there is some stores around that already have test displays up, check ur local Bestbuy/Gamestop and see if they got one up.

If you ever used any other VR headset I don't think its much different but I could be wrong.

Deleted
    Not sure I haven't tried the PSVR headset. I do believe there is some stores around that already have test displays up, check ur local Bestbuy/Gamestop and see if they got one up.

If you ever used any other VR headset I don't think its much different but I could be wrong.
    Im entirely new to VR. But apparently from what i read, is that you can watch movies via VR that makes the screen about equal to Cinema's. over 200 inches. Sounds amazing

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres only one format of entertainment where VR interests me and it ain't games.

I'm going to say it, I'm very confused (this is a figure of speech) about this new gimmick of ''it's a console but not a new console''. Like the New 3DS and the whopping one game that required it ? (Please correct me if there is more than one western game for the N3DS)

The idea is of course that the new models are going to run more powerful games (duh !) But somehow, the olders models will still be able to run those games, not just as good (I don't believe it for a second)

Physcial Media dying isn't a assumption its a fact....sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

OMG so your telling me the MSRP for tech that's over 5 years old hasn't changed much....shocker.

Once again you do realize the Ps4 has new tech in it and yes the UHDB would have upped the cost. Also Remilia covered this quite well go read there post. If anyone has the data to see if UHDB is worth its Sony. So fucken what it doesn't have it, its a niche market who has it and if they have it then they already got it.

Sony learned trying to sell a system above $400 is a stupid idea and adding in a UHDB would have made it cost above $400.
    That 5 year old tech in the PS4 slim still doesn't have an UHDBR player in it. Keep trying this tired argument kiddo, you and I both know that it wasn't the difference in the PS4P being $400 or not. It was only the difference in Sony trying to nickle and dime and earn more money per console sold.

"Niche market" lol 4k in general is a niche market then Sony is trying to attract with the very console and they neglect an important part of that niche. Nice try.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-09-20 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    I've noticed this going on. I've seen several people who are getting an Xbox One S over the PS4 Pro simply because it allows them to use 4K blurays, offers HDR as well, and can upscale their games to 4K resolution as well. Not to mention you can get it for $100 cheaper than a PS4 Pro. It may not be a huge number, but I guarantee Sony not offering the ability to play 4K blurays on a 4K console will lose them some sales.

Like I said earlier, regardless of their reasoning, not putting a 4K bluray player in their console designed for 4K TVs was pretty stupid, especially since it was shown that they could have easily included one fairly cheaply. The streaming comment is just a cop out for not including one, because a large portion of the world can't stream 4K content at all. It's just Sony making another idiotic decision like they've been doing over the past two years or so. Ever since their "high" at E3 2013, Sony has been getting lazy and complacent.
    Pretty much, for me the determining factor on getting either the Xbox One S/PS4 Pro was the 4K Blu-Ray capability, I don't console game much in general but I do like to play Halo for Xbox and some JRPG's on the PS4 but nothing crazy. I see people claiming physical media is dying etc yet the sales are solid and there's a pretty sizable market that has home theater setups that enjoy the quality a Blu-Ray can provide that streaming cannot.

That 5 year old tech in the PS4 slim still doesn't have an UHDBR player in it. Keep trying this tired argument kiddo, you and I both know that it wasn't the difference in the PS4P being $400 or not. It was only the difference in Sony trying to nickle and dime and earn more money per console sold.

"Niche market" lol 4k in general is a niche market then Sony is trying to attract with the very console and they neglect an important part of that niche. Nice try.
    Last checked champ this is a thread about the Ps4 Pro not the slim. Also ya the slim doesn't have it because it would make the pro look bad.

Its cute when you think you know what your talking about. If you don't think the UHDB would make the system cost more I got a sea side house in kentucky to sell ya champ.

Also if you already got a 4k TV with a Ultra Blu-Ray player then there is no need for the ps4 pro to have it, once again keep cost down. Believe it or not but things do cost.

Like I said its cute when you think you know what your talking about. Hows that Dead Rising only exclusive to Xbox systems working out for ya as well
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-09-20 at 07:56 PM.

Dead no.

Physical media isn't dying and won't be dying anytime soon, just because you don't know anyone who uses Blu's or wants 4K media doesn't mean there isn't a sizable market there. Got to any forums for home theater enthusiasts like AVS and you'll see it's got a big following, as for Blu-Ray not taking off, it's done pretty well so far and is holding strong. Physical media won't be going anywhere for a long time with our current infrastructure still needing a lot of work and streaming while nice lacks quality by a pretty big margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Physical media isn't dying and won't be dying anytime soon, just because you don't know anyone who uses Blu's or wants 4K media doesn't mean there isn't a sizable market there.
    Physical media is dying that is a fact.

Will it be gone in 5-10 years....Nope good chance it won't. Hell CD's still get made and are sold. But less people are buying physical media and personally I don't want a world without it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    sry but pc beats it i sold my ps4 its not worth to buy the next crapy console. Sony says the pc pushed them to make a better ps4, i say the new ps4 is not worth the money better buy a better raphic card and all this stupid only exclusive ps4 games........game producers are such small brainers dont want to expand the games to PC there is so much money for them if you dont like keyboard or mouse use a controller its so much better on the pc ok its just my opinion but pc beats all consoles in all ways.
    You realize "These small brain game makers" make the bulk of there sells on console right?

Consoles and PC's have pros and cons. You can NOT build a $400 PC that beats the ps4 pro or a $300 PC that beats a Ps4/XB1. Saying one side is 100% better then the other is foolish and just shows how much of a fanboy you are.