Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

is windows 10 MS's final OS

i remember reading somewhere its there last OS, does this mean wow will upport 7 forever now since supposdly there isnt gonna be a windows 11 etc

Deleted
    Well here's the dates up to which *Microsoft* will support their OSs.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet

Code:
       OS            service pack	 mainstream support	 extended support
      Windows XP	 Service Pack 3	 April 14, 2009  	 April 8, 2014
      Windows Vista	 Service Pack 2	 April 10, 2012  	 April 11, 2017
      Windows 7*	 Service Pack 1	 January 13, 2015	 January 14, 2020
      Windows 8	 Windows 8.1	 January 9, 2018	 January 10, 2023

As for WoW I suppose as long as they don't start using DX12 (or whatever successor) exclusively you should be able to run it on those systems beyond that date. I'd say Blizzard will stop supporting W7/8 *officially* when Microsoft does, but WoW will continue to run for some time after that I guess.
    "Forever" however is a very long time - so most likely not but maybe WoW is dead before that

Deleted
    It's their last OS in the sense that they want to keep updating Windows 10 instead of naming it "Windows 11" at some point.. Maybe they will change that policy sooner or later, maybe they won't... I don't care.. Win 10 is great btw.

God please don't let apple take over the market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 10 may be the 'last' Windows, but the system is different now. Think of it like Mac OSX. Yes, it's "OS 10" as in the one after OS 9, but "OSX" is it's name. And they've gone through 12 versions of it. Just the same, Windows 10 (Lets call in WinX for fun) has already gone through several versions.

Windows 10 - 1507 is the Release (Call it WinX 10.0 Threshold)
    Windows 10 - 1511 is the Nov update (Call it WinX 10.1 Threshold 2)
    Windows 10 - 1607 is the Anniversary Update (Call it WinX 10.2 Redstone)
    Windows 10 - 16xx is the next (Call it WinX 10.3 Redstone 2)
    Windows 10 - 17xx is the next (Call it WinX 10.4 Redstone 3, last of the Redstone series)
    Windows 10 - 18xx is the next (There is no name for it yet, as it's too far ahead. I vote Grass Block.)

People don't realize that they've gone through multiple revisions of the OS already, just like Apple users often don't realize they've gone through multiple revisions of OSX, when all it takes is clicking 'update' in the app store.

As far as support goes... WoW evolves. Windows 7 will not. Just like WinXP, it will become outdated. It's not that WoW can't run on it... But driver updates will eventually stop coming.. And eventually WoW won't run out outdated drivers, and outdated OS's.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

My understanding was that Windows 10 was going to be the last "Windows" operating system based on the NT Kernal?
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    My understanding was that Windows 10 was going to be the last "Windows" operating system based on the NT Kernal?
    I haven't heard of that (but if you have info, I'm always eager to learn)

"NT" is largely just a naming scheme. It doesn't actually mean anything (Well it means New Technology but it doesn't have any real significance)

Windows 10 is running Kernel NT 10, where as Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 were running 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 respectively.. And jumped straight to 10, to make things make more sense.

They'll either do NT 10.1, 10.2, 10.3... Or just do NT 11 and that will be Windows 10 Next or something equally confusing.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard a rumor that MS will charge businesses a monthly fee for their OS. I don't know about being the last OS, but probably the last before they do rolling releases like their anniversary edition. You will still need to buy a license, cause MS doesn't seem to want to go the free route.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    God please don't let apple take over the market.
    HAHAHA. I use Linux for all my PCs but 1, and that's my Windows gaming PC. Until EA, Blizzard, UbiSoft go Linux, and Valve forces developers to port all new games to Linux, I'll have to have at least 1 Windows PC.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    i remember reading somewhere its there last OS, does this mean wow will upport 7 forever now since supposdly there isnt gonna be a windows 11 etc
    Windows naming scheme hasn't changed except the version, however the technology has. Windows 10 will not be the last OS, all Windows versions are simply Windows with new technology, so they may keep "Windows 10" but like Apples OSX it will always evolve. The question should be "Do I have to pay for updates to Windows after purchasing W10" and that answer according to MS is no.

MS is reaching into the same realm Apple is, they are focusing on PCs and Laptops/Tablets (Surface Tablets is their niche atm)

I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing MS's own AIO desktops on every Best Buy shelve before too long, they already have a few out now that are made by Lenova, HP etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I heard a rumor that MS will charge businesses a monthly fee for their OS. I don't know about being the last OS, but probably the last before they do rolling releases like their anniversary edition. You will still need to buy a license, cause MS doesn't seem to want to go the free route.
    So... Paying $300 for a OS, and then pay $60/Month to use it.... That's bullshit and they should be sued for it considering their market share. Hope to christ they don't go that route like they did with that shit suite that is 365.

I would imagine France and Germany would be very upset about that OS design considering their stances alone and on-going court cases involving Windows 10, and in the past with pre-installed media software / bloatware. (Think that is what resulted in the N/K Editions / Barebone editions?)
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

10+ Year Old Account
    So... Paying $300 for a OS, and then pay $60/Month to use it.... That's bullshit and they should be sued for it considering their market share. Hope to christ they don't go that route like they did with that shit suite that is 365.
    The rumors are vague, but something that pertains only to businesses. Consumers get the ability to pay for upgrades like Home to Pro or Pro to Ultimate.
    I would imagine France and Germany would be very upset about that OS design considering their stances alone and on-going court cases involving Windows 10, and in the past with pre-installed media software / bloatware. (Think that is what resulted in the N/K Editions / Barebone editions?)
    Microsoft needs competition, not more regulations. Regulations are needed only because for reasons I don't know why, but nobody is even close to competing with Windows.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I heard a rumor that MS will charge businesses a monthly fee for their OS.
    Volume licenses have been a thing for a long long time. Introduced around the time of Win 2K and Win XP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Volume licenses have been a thing for a long long time. Introduced around the time of Win 2K and Win XP.
    VLK is different from the new Win 10 Enterprise Subscription.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    (Lets call in WinX for fun)
    In a parallel universe in which MS makes Windows Unix like, WinX would be a perfect name lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems to be the case, just updates and stuff is mostly what I hear. Not the biggest fan of that model but w/e.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It seems to be the case, just updates and stuff is mostly what I hear. Not the biggest fan of that model but w/e.
    The model hasn't changed. Old OS's go out of update cycles and fall into obsolescence. The only thing that has 'changed' really is the naming scheme and how its presented/advertised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hope to christ they don't go that route like they did with that shit suite that is 365.
    How is Office 365 subscription shitty?

I pay $99/yr for 5 Office Pro licenses plus all the extras (Skype time, larger OneDrive storage, etc)
    If I had to pay full Pro price for 5 licenses it would be about $370/license. ($1,850)

AND I get the newest versions when they come out for no extra charge.

the only way you can honestly call it "shit" is if you pirate it and get it for "free"
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post

I pay $99/yr for 5 Office Pro licenses plus all the extras (Skype time, larger OneDrive storage, etc)
    If I had to pay full Pro price for 5 licenses it would be about $370/license. ($1,850)
    Largely because most people don't need Pro licenses, or 5 licenses.

$100 a year vs a $140 one time deal for Excel and Word which is what 98% of the consumer (non business) world uses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post

AND I get the newest versions when they come out for no extra charge.

the only way you can honestly call it "shit" is if you pirate it and get it for "free"
    #1 Cause for most people, any version of MS Office will do the job. The only reason to have an updated Office is because someone else is using a newer office and the files are no longer compatible.

#2 For most people, owning 1 copy of Office is enough for their immediate needs, but after 1 year they still have Office.

#3 Why does something like Office need to be on the cloud? It doesn't, and Microsoft is doing this to increase revenue.

#4 Libre Office is free and does the job. I actually made a Diner menu with it, and looks pretty good if I do say so myself.

Honestly wish they had stopped it at Win 7 and just updated that with optional stuff. I find Win 7 is just better to use, if I could modify all of the UI functionality back to Win 7 I would.. But yeah in this day and age it makes more sense for them to keep updating the system and turn it into a massive cash shop like most games have done, trying to suck money out of you slowly and consistently with random shite and subscription professional services (like office) rather than asking you for lump sums every couple of years.

They can just make more money this way and maintain a more stable and consistent install base, makes more sense with the current climate.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4