Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Prot Warrior AOE Spec for Legendary Farming

I'm (ilvl 850) currently turbofarming heroics for legendaries with some mates and survivability isn't a problem at all. Thinking about what the best aoe spec is to make the runs even faster.

Avatar vs. Ultimatum: Thinking of avatar for boosting revenge.

Best Served Cold over Indomitable should be the obvious choice, since i'm basicly immortal anyways.

Booming Voice over Vengeance coupled with avatar for those sweet dps gains.

Anger Management vs. Ravager. I tried Ravager, but it feels lackluster and does less dps than most trinkets. Anger Management seems to be insane coupled with the rage gain from best served cold.

Any thoughts? Did i miss something?
    Last edited by mmoc961a6aa380; 2016-09-19 at 12:14 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arensky View Post
    I'm (ilvl 850) currently turbofarming heroics for legendaries with some mates and survivability isn't a problem at all.
    In this case you should just pull more. Neltharions Fury + Scales of Earth does so much damage when you have a lot of mobs hitting you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bixster View Post
    In this case you should just pull more. Neltharions Fury + Scales of Earth does so much damage when you have a lot of mobs hitting you.
    I can assure you that that is not possible, thanks to the lack of more mobs to pull. So i'm stuck with optimizing damage, while giving up all the surviability i can get away with.

Deleted
    I can assure you that that is not possible, thanks to the lack of more mobs to pull. So i'm stuck with optimizing damage, while giving up all the surviability i can get away with.
    Unless you are literally pulling the entire instance you can always go faster. Get mobs down to like 85% so you have solid threat, then run off to the next pack. Let people run after you, punching the mobs as they go. If you ever have to stop and stand still, unless its because you have no other choice (boss fight, door wont open until mob is dead ect) you can always go faster.

Of course, if you are already doing this, then just go with the most AoE focused build. Ravager isn't amazing, but if you are pulling the entire instance, its still pretty strong and worth taking. Crackling Thunder is also very strong, because although you lose the Heroic Leap CD, as you'll be running so much you'll constantly run out of range of mobs, so it will be a very much non-negligible DPS increase.

Finally, take Warbringer if you aren't already. It does significantly more DPS than Shockwave does, and you'll be charging packs anyway.

Deleted
    Replying on phone, so forgive me letting out sone details:

I'm thankful that at least you cared to answer, but i'm sorry for shitting on your comment now. It is just outstandingly bad and i think it would be a disfavour to the public not arguing against it.

Bigger Thunderclap is not needed, does not add damage and is IMO the biggest garbage talent in the whole tree.
    Although Shockwave has about half the damage and a bit more cd, it hits 5-30 targets at once, but besides that it is crucial for controlling big packs, which have more things you could interrupt, giving some time to ragepool for an ip, giving your healer some breathing room and most importantly from stopping those annoying ranged mobs from jumping away. I said i am willing to sacrifice some surviability, but i am neither willing to sacrifice crowdcontrol, nor am i willing to sacrifice one of the top 3 frequently useable defensive cooldowns in dungeons. (IP, Shieldblock, Shockwave).

Also, i am pulling exactly the feasible amount of mobs, which 70% of the time is all mobs at once between each boss. Limiting factors being: Untankable Ranged mobs who kill your dds (neltharion); Double Lanterguys + the big fat vomit guy in maw - also killing dds - so pool mobs until first lanternguy is focused down, then move on; Miniboss after first Pack in Vault of Warden gets killed with first pack, since after metamorphosis he has an unkickable aoe which REALLY hurts my dds + there are 2 of those mobs in a downgraded version in the next pack, which combined with the "miniboss" are a real pain in the ass, etc. You get the picture.

The only thing i partly agree with you, is giving Ravager a second shot.

Deleted

I'm thankful that at least you cared to answer, but i'm sorry for shitting on your comment now. It is just outstandingly bad and i think it would be a disfavour to the public not arguing against it.

Bigger Thunderclap is not needed, does not add damage and is IMO the biggest garbage talent in the whole tree.
    Although Shockwave has about half the damage and a bit more cd, it hits 5-30 targets at once, but besides that it is crucial for controlling big packs, which have more things you could interrupt, giving some time to ragepool for an ip, giving your healer some breathing room and most importantly from stopping those annoying ranged mobs from jumping away. I said i am willing to sacrifice some surviability, but i am neither willing to sacrifice crowdcontrol, nor am i willing to sacrifice one of the top 3 frequently useable defensive cooldowns in dungeons. (IP, Shieldblock, Shockwave).

Also, i am pulling exactly the feasible amount of mobs, which 70% of the time is all mobs at once between each boss. Limiting factors being: Untankable Ranged mobs who kill your dds (neltharion); Double Lanterguys + the big fat vomit guy in maw - also killing dds - so pool mobs until first lanternguy is focused down, then move on; Miniboss after first Pack in Vault of Warden gets killed with first pack, since after metamorphosis he has an unkickable aoe which REALLY hurts my dds + there are 2 of those mobs in a downgraded version in the next pack, which combined with the "miniboss" are a real pain in the ass, etc. You get the picture.

What part of being ilvl850 with a premade did you miss?
    I do bigger pulls then you recommend with pickups.
    Untankable mobs in Neltarions lair? The throwers?. They can be tanked lol.
    And Crackling Thunder is bad? WHAAAAAAT?
    Last edited by mmocdfdf1a8f27; 2016-09-19 at 03:51 PM.

Deleted
    If you're pulling fast enough that you almost never stand still (which is absolutely possible in Halls of Valor, Darkheart Thicket and Blackrook at the very least) then it absolutely adds more damage. Even on the mobs like the Rock throwers in Neltharion's Lair it adds DPS, because they jump away, but you can position yourself to still hit them with it because its range becomes huge.

Warbringer does all those things too. I agree on fights where dying actually is a possibility then Shockwave is vastly better, but you can use Warbringer to interrupt casts far more often, you can use it to do much more DPS, and it has a much shorter CD, and two charges, allowing you to actually better control casters. It increases the amount of damage you'll take because you wont get those huge stun durations to hide behind, but you said you were Immortal so I gave you the option for best possible speed.

The "big vomit guy" in Maw is pretty negligible damage. You can pull everything to him and have everything die as you cleave off him. Otherwise I tend to agree. However, you don't have to use the same Talent build for every instance, you could use a slower, more durable build on the slower instances, then go balls-to-the-wall DPS/movement on the more heavily dense instances. Seems to me you're looking to both optimise your speed, and find a generic build for all situations, which are conflicting goals.

Deleted
    Ravager is definetly the best choice for aoe damage, not for ravager's damage itself, but for the revenge procs, wich is always you'r #1 source of aoe damage.
    So never stun mobs while ravager is on, ask you'r group not to do so either.
    As for neltharion's fury, i personally use it just before packs of mobs get out of stun, so that they all hit me at the same time. So with 5mobs you're pretty much sure to have a proc.
    Last edited by mmocb61e0bb66c; 2016-09-19 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vexew View Post
    Untankable mobs in Neltarions lair? The throwers?. They can be tanked lol.
    I'd love to hear how you pull this off because as best I can tell all they do is throw stuff at random secondary targets.

7+ Year Old Account

For someone asking for help, this sounds rather rude and gives off an air of superiority and arrogance that I don't understand. Almost as if you were bored and just wanted to argue so you made a bait post. I understand debating a thought process but saying things like

just comes off as "let me sugar coat me calling your a fucking retard". If you didn't mean it this way, maybe think about how you sound when wording your response because it sure sounds like that to me.

Crackling Thunder is amazing, and I wish I had used it earlier in WoD than I did. Being able to pick every mob up in a single Thunder Clap is godly for a variety of reasons. This leaves you less time spent running around picking everything up and grouping it into AoE/cleave, and allows for picking up stray or spread packs and patrols up easier. Given how great Protection warrior's baseline mobility is I find it difficulty to justify leaving this talent when the goal is to pull more, group it quickly, and kill it faster.

That huge bonus to range is just a phenomenal difference, and the other talents don't contribute anything substantial towards killing stuff faster, but it'll save you GCDs and the risk of losing mobs you thought you had. I hate forgetting to switch back to it when I was questing just prior.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danin View Post
    I'd love to hear how you pull this off because as best I can tell all they do is throw stuff at random secondary targets.
    They got a minimum range on their throw, meaning if your standing close to them, they will target the next legitimate target with highest threat.

It is a mechanic that appears every now and then.

I'd rather stick to vengance weaving and have the priest holy nova than dip into mitigation for tank dps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tizock View Post
    Ravager is definetly the best choice for aoe damage, not for ravager's damage itself, but for the revenge procs, wich is always you'r #1 source of aoe damage.
    So never stun mobs while ravager is on, ask you'r group not to do so either.
    As for neltharion's fury, i personally use it just before packs of mobs get out of stun, so that they all hit me at the same time. So with 5mobs you're pretty much sure to have a proc.
    Wait .. Parrys also trigger revenge? Lol im so bad.

To the rest. I don't know how you pull shit if you need crackling thunder talent. I can't think of a single pull wheee i would want it honestly. And from the sounds of it you just rush through without any thought to stacking mobs.

The vomit guy alone is ignorable. Him with 2 latern guys is not. (For my dds)

Deleted
    1. Go with Warbringer
    2. Make a macro to intercept your focus-target
    3. Focus on a melee dps (or if running with 4 ranged just tell one of them to stand in melee range)
    4. Use macro to intercept while still targetting mobs
    5. Congratulations. You now have an AoE stun with 2 charges and a low cooldown

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursuas View Post
    1. Go with Warbringer
    2. Make a macro to intercept your focus-target
    3. Focus on a melee dps (or if running with 4 ranged just tell one of them to stand in melee range)
    4. Use macro to intercept while still targetting mobs
    5. Congratulations. You now have an AoE stun with 2 charges and a low cooldown
    I guess that's good advice ... For WoD. Lol xD

Deleted
    Wait .. Parrys also trigger revenge? Lol im so bad.
    Please don't say you thought it was just dodges >.>

I really wanted to answer your post, but then I read this:

and I thought: "This guy must be joking!". What's with the attitude, man ? If you ask for opinions, and someone is kind enough to offer his thoughts, why would you be so rude ? It's ridiculous, honestly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtwo View Post
    Please don't say you thought it was just dodges >.>
    Lol, no i thought only blocks. xD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hyperhyve View Post
    I really wanted to answer your post, but then I read this:

and I thought: "This guy must be joking!". What's with the attitude, man ? If you ask for opinions, and someone is kind enough to offer his thoughts, why would you be so rude ? It's ridiculous, honestly.
    I knew that my answer was going to percieved as being smug, so i apologized in advance. I still think that improved thunderclap has no benefits and is just teribad. He also argued for dropping an oe stun for a single target stun. Equally is bad advice imo. I thanked him for answering... I see how i worded it badly, but i stand by what i wrote. Especially as i asked for how to i prove aoe dmg and him telling me drop an aoe talent for a single target one.
    Last edited by mmoc961a6aa380; 2016-09-20 at 01:05 PM.

I knew that my answer was going to percieved as being smug, so i apologized in advance. I still think that improved thunderclap has no benefits and is just teribad. He also argued for dropping an oe stun for a single target stun. Equally is bad advice imo. I thanked him for answering... I see how i worded it badly, but i stand by what i wrote. Especially as i asked for how to i prove aoe dmg and him telling me drop an aoe talent for a single target one.
    I assume that by "drop an aoe talent for a single target one" you mean the suggested change of Warbringer for Shockwave ?
    If so, you should know that the Warbringer tooltip reads as follows: "Intercept now deals [ 120% of Attack Power ] damage to all enemies within 5 yds of the target, and stuns them for 1.5 sec.".
    So no, you weren't told to drop an aoe talent, but rather to pick an aoe talent that's more suited to what you have asked for in this thread - the optimal aoe-spec.