Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Maybe one of the reasons is because we are calling them media instead of journalist/news. They are no longer built around trying to tell the truth and help the general populace but entertain them. Good journalism is almost dead, it doesn't make any money.
    This has been a rather alarming trend over the past two decades. And it's because media is no longer composed of journalists, but rather 24/7 profit based media conglomerates that hide behind the First Amendment. And it will only get worse.

We're in the age of a new media blitz that will only get thicker as time passes. They are truly the most power branch of the four parts of government.

Even your main "news" shows are more worried about ratings than about truth. Two great examples are the Asiana Flight 214 crash a few years ago or the George Zimmerman (please don't get into personal opinions on the case). In the airline case they went to a personal blog where someone posted the "names" of the planes crew and made them national news. The names they posted were Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee Fuk, Bang Ding Ow. In the Zimmerman case NBC got a hold of the actual police call and edited it to add in Zimmerman using the N word. The claim (on both of these) that the network made was that it was done by interns and not actually any employees. Even if this is true, it means that they don't verify anything before putting it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Look at the recent case of Mike Brown. The media was just looking for ratings. They didn't bother to do any of the journalistic stuff. You know the little things like security footage, reliable witnesses, etc. That ended up costing Ferguson a ton in property damage. The media is 100% to blame for that.
    The media definitely got things started, but some of the blame for how out of hand things got has to fall on the Politicians (particularly Obama and Holder) who pushed the narrative for their own gains.
    Last edited by Utinil; 2016-09-19 at 04:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    This has been a rather alarming trend over the past two decades. And it's because media is no longer composed of journalists, but rather 24/7 profit based media conglomerates that hide behind the First Amendment. And it will only get worse.

We're in the age of a new media blitz that will only get thicker as time passes. They are truly the most power branch of the four parts of government.
    I honestly think the main reason that Canada doesn't see the same issue to nearly the same extent is the existence of (and public trust in) the CBC. They're government-owned, but not government-run in the sense that the current government has any editorial control (they're apolitical in that sense), and as a result they provide a standard that everyone else is measured against. If Global (to pick a media conglomerate) were to try being excessively biased, that'd become fairly obvious as compared to that default, and it would be considered a mark against them.

While there are some public new sources in the USA, they're not as big or as well-respected as the CBC is here in Canada.

because cable news sucks a big ol piece a poo.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I honestly think the main reason that Canada doesn't see the same issue to nearly the same extent is the existence of (and public trust in) the CBC. They're government-owned, but not government-run in the sense that the current government has any editorial control (they're apolitical in that sense), and as a result they provide a standard that everyone else is measured against. If Global (to pick a media conglomerate) were to try being excessively biased, that'd become fairly obvious as compared to that default, and it would be considered a mark against them.

While there are some public new sources in the USA, they're not as big or as well-respected as the CBC is here in Canada.
    I could not agree more. When the U.S. initially sold the airway rights they required that each channel provide one hour a day of news - but they forgot to require that it not include advertisements - hence our media has, from the beginning, been based at least in part on revenue - which always spins in one way or another (or at least lends itself to spin).

What's worse, cable news and 24/7 coverage, made it even worse. And the nail in the coffin is that our "news" is so ingrained in the First Amendment, there is almost no way to dial it back to it could once again be useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    People watch TV? I watch TV when I'm not home, cause other people have it on in places, and of course they have the news. What do I see? The news has a pet hour, where they do nothing but talk about pets. Back when people cared about Paris Hilton, they would put that on the news all the time. That's not news, that's gossip.

But recently the reason why so many distrust the news is because of Bernie. Remember when nobody wanted to cover anything with Bernie and it was all Trump and Hilary? Now that we're closer to elections, everyone hates them both, cause we know more about them. Now we know Hilary isn't even healthy, as she has seizures. Bernie looks old, but at least he isn't bobbing his head up and down like a yes man. Now they released medical records that shows that she's healthy when it's clearly a lie.

Trump is still Trump, and in actuality he's become more left than Hillary, but nobody wants to vote for him cause he can't stop saying offensive shit. Trumps rise to power was because of the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    People watch TV? I watch TV when I'm not home, cause other people have it on in places, and of course they have the news. What do I see? The news has a pet hour, where they do nothing but talk about pets. Back when people cared about Paris Hilton, they would put that on the news all the time. That's not news, that's gossip.

But recently the reason why so many distrust the news is because of Bernie. Remember when nobody wanted to cover anything with Bernie and it was all Trump and Hilary? Now that we're closer to elections, everyone hates them both, cause we know more about them. Now we know Hilary isn't even healthy, as she has seizures. Bernie looks old, but at least he isn't bobbing his head up and down like a yes man. Now they released medical records that shows that she's healthy when it's clearly a lie.

Trump is still Trump, and in actuality he's become more left than Hillary, but nobody wants to vote for him cause he can't stop saying offensive shit. Trumps rise to power was because of the media.

I always wondered who that lady is behind Hillary in that clip. Almost everyone else reacts to Hillary's head jerking, tremors, seizures or whatever u want to call them but she doesn't flinch at all. Either she is that unaware or she is used to such strange head movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    One of the best news sources in the world is The Christian Science Monitor.

Looking at their front page, here's a story that you won't find anywhere else: Why US military officials are concerned about climate change

I know the word "christian" will trigger some, but it's a secular newspaper, maybe somewhat left wing.
    More often then not Christian and science don't go hand and hand. Even if that site was 100% accurate people won't consider anything they have to say could be correct.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

But in the US, the public source (NPR) is by far and away the most biased (left).

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Now we know Hilary isn't even healthy, as she has seizures. Bernie looks old, but at least he isn't bobbing his head up and down like a yes man. Now they released medical records that shows that she's healthy when it's clearly a lie.
    Ironic that in a thread about media trust you would use a discredited GIF meme to try to claim evidence of lying.
    All you have to do is watch the same scene with audio on and a different angle to see that she's doing a double-take comical reaction when two reporters yell questions and shove mics in her face at the same moment. She even takes another chai sip right after.

NBC video of the cafe encounter
    You can even read about it from the reporter asking the question.
    Why do people not trust the media? Because you put more faith in clickbait than actual reporting, and so they keep giving you that instead of substance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    I always wondered who that lady is behind Hillary in that clip. Almost everyone else reacts to Hillary's head jerking, tremors, seizures or whatever u want to call them but she doesn't flinch at all. Either she is that unaware or she is used to such strange head movements.
    You can see in the video from another angle that everyone, including the two reporters, laugh at it. It was a funny moment that wasn't called a "seizure" until a month later when right wing sites started that rumor.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    You can see in the video from another angle that everyone, including the two reporters, laugh at it. It was a funny moment that wasn't called a "seizure" until a month later when right wing sites started that rumor.
    That video isn't exactly helping your cause. Sure they laugh, but what do you do in that situation when she kinda looks like she's convulsing? It lasts only a few seconds and Hillary shrugs it off like it's nothing. You're not going to do a thing about it, and walk away without thinking about it. Everyone else who knows about her history knows that she had a blood clot in the brain. Seizure has some correlation. Just look at the woman holding a stupid iPhone reaction. Even she seems freaked out.

But this is just a thin layer of the cake that is media. It took the collective internet to see these symptoms going on. Weather or not she's as unhealthy as everyone says is up for debate. Nowadays places like reddit does a better job putting info together than the media. About 99% of my Bernie info came from YouTube. News media likes to repeat the same info over and over again, just in case I missed it the first hundred times. Way too much celebrity news, like celebrities are a form of higher intelligence, despite their high death rate via drugs.

Probably over a decade ago I stopped watching TV for news, cause the internet happened and I used that for news since. At first it was just Fox News, cause they were extra special bad, but now I'd include CNN and pretty much every other TV news source. Now I go on YouTube and click on what I want to watch.