Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Anyone know whom or what this idol represents?

Hey.

I've recently acquired this figurine from the local flea market because I liked the way it looks. I wanna ask if any of you here know what it represents, because I'm really curious about it. I feel like I've seen it somewhere before, because it just looks really familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

I don't know the country of origin, I just know that it's at least 25 years old.

If anyone could shed some light, that would be rad.

Thanks!

Isn't that the thing that raises Simba in the Lion King?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Isn't that the thing that raises Simba in the Lion King?
    I think it just wants to pee.

But for srs, looks either African or Central American.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi, I'm an Indiana Jones-type archaeologist and unfortunately I have to tell you that it's cursed. To break its curse you have to find whatever liquid it wants to have in the bowl, keep it one night while you watch and dance with the statue under the moonlight and then drink the remnants. Hope I helped. *dodges a giant stone ball*

Disclaimer: Some part of this post may be untrue or slightly exaggerated.

I wouldn't expect it to be anything specific.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lord Bowlballs?

No idea. It looks similar in style to a lot of African art depictions, so might not be anyone in particular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
    Hey.

I've recently acquired this figurine from the local flea market because I liked the way it looks. I wanna ask if any of you here know what it represents, because I'm really curious about it. I feel like I've seen it somewhere before, because it just looks really familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

I don't know the country of origin, I just know that it's at least 25 years old.

Thanks!

Likely that it is a type of Chaac from the Yucatan. They were generic and specific rain gods worshiped by the Mayan farmers.
    He is typically depicted sitting and holding a sacrifical bowl, a chaacmool. Along with rain-snakes somewhere on his body. The face typically has an elongated snout and seashells as ear ornaments.
    Red clay is pretty common down there.

Did you look on the bottom for any kind of maker's mark?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey.

Thanks!

Assuming it is small, it appears to be an ash tray. Nothing historic. But i could be wrong.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ancient god of ashtrays?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

It's clearly supposed to be emulating tribal art, and like others have said, I would say African specifically.

That being said, it does appear to just be an ashtray with an African statue twist on it? Can't remember honestly any African statues that had bowls covering the crotch area, usually they would over-emphasize bodyparts like that.

This guy got his balls smashed. Its probably a ancient feminism idol.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had classes about Ancient American cultures and I remember seeing this, but I don't know the name. But first, look at the eyes: Full of skin, but a little closed. That's usually a sign of american stuff.

Or maybe an ancient troll made this. They could do that. Ayyy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Likely that it is a type of Chaac from the Yucatan. They were generic and specific rain gods worshiped by the Mayan farmers.
    He is typically depicted sitting and holding a sacrifical bowl, a chaacmool. Along with rain-snakes somewhere on his body. The face typically has an elongated snout and seashells as ear ornaments.
    Red clay is pretty common down there.

Did you look on the bottom for any kind of maker's mark?
    That's the best lead so far, thank you very much. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a maker's mark anywhere on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the best lead so far, thank you very much. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a maker's mark anywhere on it.
    Art History degree for the win! Though an earthenware figure with snake motiffs is easy stuff.

Missed those marks on his body. Thought they were ribs, but probably meant to depict scales, reinforcing the snake thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Senor Spoonpenis?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Art History degree for the win! Though an earthenware figure with snake motiffs is easy stuff.

Missed those marks on his body. Thought they were ribs, but probably meant to depict scales, reinforcing the snake thing.
    Is there a large difference normally between the larger sculptures and the smaller ones when it comes to Mayan stuff?
    Because the larger statues that are pulled up on Google (after weeding through the pictures of Chaac from Smite) look more blocky and differently styled.

Took Art History myself, but only really European art and what not, didn't take any classes past that, so genuinely curious.

giant testicle sack that can be used as a container for food

Wow, that's really neat. Like others have said, looks like eraly American/South American. How much did you pay for it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Is there a large difference normally between the larger sculptures and the smaller ones when it comes to Mayan stuff?
    Because the larger statues that are pulled up on Google (after weeding through the pictures of Chaac from Smite) look more blocky and differently styled.

Took Art History myself, but only really European art and what not, didn't take any classes past that, so genuinely curious.
    Mayan art covers a fairly broad time and geography. So there will be a large variety in what you see. Its almost like saying something is Greek. There's a lot of difference from Minoan to Hellenistic pieces.
    The big blocky Chaacs are more likely from palaces or temple complexes. Whereas the one above, is probably a personal or village idol from some farmer. Contemporary Mayans like the Chorti still use these. Which correlates to difference to the statues that one might have seen at the Pantheon versus the idols of Roman households.
    So the difference comes down to different people having different tastes over time. Both depicting similar deities in their own tastes.

There was also one big Chaac tied to the big cosmological event of the Mayan mythology. There were also many other smaller chaacs for every village well or spring.