Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, my wife kinda wrangled me into playing again, so eh. You'll probably find a post from me a few weeks back predicting that this is exactly what I'd see and how I'd feel about things, because I honestly didn't expect anything to change.

I mean, if I could get back into the same kind of guild that I was in when I took my break from WoW I would do that in a heartbeat probably. But that's just not going to happen now, and I don't want to spend every evening trying to appease swarms of random midcore tryhards, either.
    In all seriousness, if you're not getting the entertainment you want out of this game, you should stop. This is YOUR downtime, and you should spend it doing something YOU enjoy.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

the LFG interface could use a lot of refining. The current implementation is kind of laughably limited considering how much they seem to intend that people use it

I should be able to filter groups by ilvl requirement, list myself as an 'available' healer/dps/tank, filter out groups that aren't looking for a healer/dps/tank, etc etc.

31 pages.. didn't read em all but wanna put in my 2 cents.

For starters my item level is 845 but could be easily 850. i've sharded many 850 pieces simply because they did not have the stats i desire. I've also lead many mythics with people under 820, as long as the tank is 820ish i'll bring plenty of 810s or new 110s no problem, why/. Ilvl doesn't 100%. you could be easy 848 or whatever and not know your class mechanics, or improperly itemized, you're not gonna get the most out of your class and someone with a lower item level could simply outdps you. my only requirement is the tank must be around 820 equiped with some effort in to their artifact otherwise you'll stress out the healer.

Also 9 times out of 10 i'll see in the group finder 840+ required but the leader is barely 830. Like many have said, people just wanna be carried.

ilvl requirements were bred from the Wrath of the Lich King days from an addon called Gearscore. This gave a character a fictitious number based on gear, which was then used as a requirement to enter (This is pre dungeon finder days mind you).
    Most times the Gearscore requirement was set higher than item drops available in the instance. This was to either ensure that the leader, would be carried despite their own score, or was falsely used in believing that "out gearscoring" an instance was better than having competent players in your run. Gearscore =/= Skillscore etc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by morphosys View Post
    31 pages.. didn't read em all but wanna put in my 2 cents.

For starters my item level is 845 but could be easily 850. i've sharded many 850 pieces simply because they did not have the stats i desire. I've also lead many mythics with people under 820, as long as the tank is 820ish i'll bring plenty of 810s or new 110s no problem, why/. Ilvl doesn't 100%. you could be easy 848 or whatever and not know your class mechanics, or improperly itemized, you're not gonna get the most out of your class and someone with a lower item level could simply outdps you. my only requirement is the tank must be around 820 equiped with some effort in to their artifact otherwise you'll stress out the healer.

Also 9 times out of 10 i'll see in the group finder 840+ required but the leader is barely 830. Like many have said, people just wanna be carried.
    Why did you shard 850 pieces? Main stat (agility, intellect, strength etc) is WAY more important than secondary. So that ilvl is better than focusing on the best secondary stats. But eh what do I know, did someone compare on a dummy? It's what I've been told atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    I just hit 110 last night... but for previous xpacs:

(1) What is the purpose of doing a run if you already out gear it?
    (2) if lower than 830/840 doesn't mean you're bad... then having equal or higher than 830/840 doesn't mean you're good either.
    1.- Normal drop for mythics is 825, but it has a pretty decent chance to upgrade (up to 850) so an ilv 840 character can still get gear upgrades. Also perhaps you want to have different stats on your gear so new pieces of the same ilv are still useful.
    2.- True, but you can't judge if a player is good or bad before they join your group. You can however see their ilv and as a general rule higher ilv means more dps, if the player skill is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakou View Post

It can't be stressed enough that consolidating realms together would have been a far better option than ever introducing tools like the group finder.
    Agreed. Wish MMO devs realized they were opening pandora's before before they they introduced cross server zero accountability in their games and instead didn't do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killigrew View Post
    Why did you shard 850 pieces? Main stat (agility, intellect, strength etc) is WAY more important than secondary. So that ilvl is better than focusing on the best secondary stats. But eh what do I know, did someone compare on a dummy? It's what I've been told atleast.
    Depends on the class. Some classes are broken enough that secondary stats outweigh primaries.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

Because you can't please everyone. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
    Depends on the class. Some classes are broken enough that secondary stats outweigh primaries.
    some are - majority arent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    some are - majority arent.
    That's what I said...?

10+ Year Old Account
    I kept applying to groups tonight as an 840 Enhance Shaman, all denied. No idea why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    I kept applying to groups tonight as an 840 Enhance Shaman, all denied. No idea why.
    Because there are 3 dps to 1 tank and 1 healer. It's likely that someone 841 applied and was selected instead.

We can sit here complaining and playing the victim, but the simple solution is to start your own group.

This thread is just a giant whingefest about people acting like people. That's not going to change. Be part of the solution.

15+ Year Old Account
    I see a ton of groups that only ask for 830+, which is perfectly reasonable and is below the ilvl dropped in said dungeon. Was doing mythics almost immediately at 329 ilvl and quickly upgraded.

Ex just hit 110 a few days ago and within 3 days of WQ she is already 834. If you can't get the ilvl for mythics by doing your WQ and daily heroic/farm heroics then there's definitely something you're doing wrong.

If a group wants 840 or 845, then that's their right to ask for it. And no, it's not silly to ask for that high of an ilvl, as that gives the tank more health and probably less damage taken overall, the healer more healing, everyone more health and damage, etc. And while it may be above the STANDARD ilvl drop, it is not above potential warforging, sockets and tertiary stat upgrades. My lowest piece of gear is 840, but I'm still doing mythics because warforging is a thing.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kio View Post
    All this does is weed out the people that are unlucky enough to not get drops and suck at making gold enough to not be able to buy full 850. You yourself said that it won't do anything, so why do it?
    It won't do nothing. Yes, it will affect unlucky people too, but your average idiot (and make no mistake, if you do that little, it means you're not trying, its not about being optimal ) who somehow does less than healer DPS isn't capable of regularly clearing Mythics and is probably behind on ilvl, so hopefully most of them are weeded out too.

As others have said, there is no other metric for figuring out how good someone is. What should I do ? Have a little interview with every person I'm about to invite ? Ask them about their raid history ? Maybe have a little debate about class balance to test out their game knowledge ? That's ridiculous, if I'd be doing that, I would just create a guild.

People who ask for things like that should try their hand at creating a PuG raid next week, my guess is they never have before. See how long it would take to carefully curate every single person you're about to invite for your 2/3/9 group instead of setting minimum ilvls and asking for achievements (obv no achi on 1st week duh)

All of these problems are, of course, solved by being in a guild with people who know you and know you're not shit, I can't know that based on my interaction with PuGs, it's all guesswork and praying.
    Last edited by mmoc7feaf5ca98; 2016-09-20 at 08:55 AM.

Biggest problem i have is higher ilvl=/=better gear, I find ilvl to be quite flawed tbh. Even when I make groups, I really have no way of knowing how good the player is without playing with them, it's a pity that a lot of bad players may get picked over better ones because the bad player just took every item level upgrade where the better one only took the actual upgrades.

I think more than anything it just frustrates me to see someone that really doesn't know what they're doing with stupidly good gear due to ridiculous luck, it's just annoying.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2016-09-20 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Aralon View Post

Yea don't bring that bullshit here.
    Yea, you might want to learn to play . Or if you can't, we're selling Mythic/HC dungeon boosts.

Well, I'm not mad, if I need to, I create my own group or go w/ my friends.

However, seeing something like this "LFM Arcway Mythic, ilvl 850+, no legendary no invite" is quite hilarious, that's from /2 or /4 on Ragnaros EU

-- update #1

Another thing I enjoy seeing is this

You can't set ilvl higher than your own as a requirement...
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-09-20 at 11:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not as bad as it used to be. Remember when Gearscore ran your entire WoW life? Found yourself without a guild for some reason, or took a break and arrived a week or two late to a new content patch? Fuck you, you need experience and gear from the current content to even be considered for guilds, let alone pugs. This shit ruined the last half of WotLK for me, and I was one of the top Frost DKs on my server prior to the very minor break I took between ToC HC and ICC.

Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    Hey. Just because you ask for 830/840+ dosen't mean you're bad, it's because people just want fast/smooth/easy runs that dosen't take longer than needed. There's no reason to invite lower as it just makes stuff take longer to kill or give unessecary ( can't spell that word) risks.
    So why do some people in /2 get so mad when you mention your ilvl requirements?
    There is no way to check "Is that player good ? Does s/he know the strats for the boss ?" even achievements can be sold or carried, so gear is a fast way to get a idea of the progress of the player, if you are currently at 840 ilvl, you probably already cleared all heroic and have done a few mythic dungeons, so you could be a proper candidate. Even if you are not a proper candidate, at least you should perform decently with your gear.

You could say : "But maybe the 820 ilevel is a better player than the 840 one" yes, but how are you supposed to tell them apart ?