Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    No, see above. You're trying too hard to find a flaw in the argument. Some of those things, such as turrets and dismounting birds do that, but those things wouldn't be EVERYWHERE like the packs of mobs are on the ground. That's the difference between the complaints. It's also the point I keep trying to make about keeping obstacles relevant to the quest area instead of spamming stuff everywhere without thought.

Lets use Suramar as an example, since people seem to think it's the best thing since sliced bread. You get an ability which lets you bypass almost all the enemies, with a few randomly placed baddies that can knock you out of your ability. Do people complain about that? Sure! Is it still implemented in a way that keeps things interesting for most everyone else? Yes! Flying is no different.
    People are complaining that anything other than the quest objectives is a waste of time, and the people who struggle to avoid tree roots or to run past mobs without aggroing them all and being dismounted would probably struggle to deal with airborne mobs or anti-air turrets. This is especially true if the air obstacles are set to ensure that flying has no advantages over ground, in fact the air would have to be much more difficult to navigate due to the quicker travel speed and ability to travel in a straight line.

The only thing keeping flying from being something amazing is a petty, unthinking hatred based on false premise and ignorance.
    It's really hard to take you seriously when you come out with rubbish like this.

Everything costs dev time. The question has always been striking a balance between what the devs want to do and what the players are willing to accept. Right now no-flying is being forced onto everyone whether they want it or not. That's mitigated by the game being in a better state than it's ever been, of course, but that doesn't mean it couldn't still be handled better.
    Personally I don't think it would be worth whatever time it would take to create two sets of content perfectly balanced to ensure ground and air are equally viable, especially not if the engine needs a revamp to make 3D movement and combat better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    People are complaining that anything other than the quest objectives is a waste of time, and the people who struggle to avoid tree roots or to run past mobs without aggroing them all and being dismounted would probably struggle to deal with airborne mobs or anti-air turrets. This is especially true if the air obstacles are set to ensure that flying has no advantages over ground, in fact the air would have to be much more difficult to navigate due to the quicker travel speed and ability to travel in a straight line.
    It is not about "struggling" to avoid tree roots or that running past dazing mobs is a "struggle". The only people playing this up are people like you who are trying to blow the problem out of proportion to make it sound more petty. Are those things annoying? Yes. Needless? Yes. And you managed to completely ignore what I literally just said above: Putting obstacles around the quests themselves instead of spamming that shit EVERYWHERE is the issue.

It's really hard to take you seriously when you come out with rubbish like this.
    Thank you for proving my point. Instead of trying to understand, you're going out of your way to find problems where there aren't any. And you'd rather close your eyes and dismiss anything that doesn't agree with you than try to understand or find solutions.

I'm done here.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2016-09-19 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    When I compare what you said to TBC, it was brought up. The birds and cannons but in the end the anti-air areas were just superior for interaction. There were complaints sure but nothing like the backlash blizzard got for removing flying the way they have.

The focus wouldn't shift all that much as you could still fly in areas that didn't have that mechanic. Daze is everywhere and given to mobs that are so far below you, you should be able to just tramp over them.

The two really just don't really compare when we talk about ground mounts and daze and areas with anti-air.
    The sheer amount of flying NPC's in Draenor that could dismount players was staggering. Which only reinforces why remove flying? This is why Blizz was trying to cut a corner hoping they wouldn't have to bother with such details in future expansions.

This is why Legion's Broken Isles is missing a lot of features to make ti a 3d world with flying in mind. Legion Broken Isles has just been scaled vertically to give the illusion of "depth".

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Thank you for proving my point. Instead of trying to understand, you're going out of your way to find problems where there aren't any. And you'd rather close your eyes and dismiss anything that doesn't agree with you than try to understand or find solutions.

I'm done here.
    You can't accuse the devs of "petty, unthinking hatred based on false premise and ignorance" just because the game isn't going the way you like, then turn around and pretend you were having a mature discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallack View Post
    I have so many flying mounts, some bought from the shop ... I love how good it looks when I'm flying them... I would allow flying everywhere in the broken isles except Suramar for example once you reach 110 and complete your class campaign for example (more like MoP model) or even if you want a big ass achievement like WoD but disallow flying completely ... give me my money back!! nah, just kidding but I don't see why we can have flying if no-fliers can still no fly.
    The problem is the Legion patchfinder achievement is more time consuming than WoD pathfinder achievement and it is only part one. What they are doing is that they are hoping players don't notice the sleight of hand of delaying flight again and handing it back to the players at the end of the expansion as a "reward". No other MMO does this their players or abuse them in such a way when it comes to travel systems or turn a travel system into a reward to be withheld for such a long time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    When I compare what you said to TBC, it was brought up. The birds and cannons but in the end the anti-air areas were just superior for interaction. There were complaints sure but nothing like the backlash blizzard got for removing flying the way they have.

The focus wouldn't shift all that much as you could still fly in areas that didn't have that mechanic. Daze is everywhere and given to mobs that are so far below you, you should be able to just tramp over them.

The two really just don't really compare when we talk about ground mounts and daze and areas with anti-air.
    I assumed there would be anti air everywere with legion patrols and ships. Not just 1 or 2 areas.
    If you only have anti air in ceratin areas, then you are correct.
    But if we have it everywere, wich i assume we would if they did something like this.

The outcry.

Im still behinde the ide, cuz...when i get tha frekin horse with wings. I need to spread them.

Personally I don't think it would be worth whatever time it would take to create two sets of content perfectly balanced to ensure ground and air are equally viable, especially not if the engine needs a revamp to make 3D movement and combat better.
    we are back at the start, you don't want blizzard to invest time into improving flying and make it interesting, you like it being removed or delayed to the end of the xpack so what are you doing in this thread? Are you simply trying to convince us that no-fly is a good thing? it won't work.

At this point the choice is btw accepting flying unlocking the way it is in live or trying to convince blizzard to invest some time balancing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

10+ Year Old Account
    People complain ad nauseum about the daze mechanic that has affected the ground game quite a bit. Yet others think that it would be a good and popular thing to put in flying and insert mechanics that shoot people off their birds, dragons, bats, whatever. I don't see how that tracks really. Dazed on the ground is bad; shot out of the air is OK. No, I don't really see how that works.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    People complain ad nauseum about the daze mechanic that has affected the ground game quite a bit. Yet others think that it would be a good and popular thing to put in flying and insert mechanics that shoot people off their birds, dragons, bats, whatever. I don't see how that tracks really. Dazed on the ground is bad; shot out of the air is OK. No, I don't really see how that works.
    It's pretty obvious since many argue that flying isn't dangerous enough.
    Most pro flyers have no problem with there being dangers for flying tho, they have done it in the past. Anti air turrets doing massive damage to you if you stay still with flying mount in an area or flying mobs that aggro you. It's awesome when its more dangerous and challenging. Sadly ofc the excuse that flying isn't in because its making the world less dangerous is only a crappy excuse without telling the real reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalamander View Post
    It's pretty obvious since many argue that flying isn't dangerous enough.
    Most pro flyers have no problem with there being dangers for flying tho, they have done it in the past. Anti air turrets doing massive damage to you if you stay still with flying mount in an area or flying mobs that aggro you. It's awesome when its more dangerous and challenging. Sadly ofc the excuse that flying isn't in because its making the world less dangerous is only a crappy excuse without telling the real reason.
    It would be OK if they would handle dangerous flying like in BC, where some endgame daily areas were quarded by anti-air measures like Kaliri birds or cannons. You had to fly low with the Kaliri, so you would not die from fall damage if they get you, and you had to constantly move so the cannons would not hit you. There was a solution to every danger, which modified your flying experience and made the point in making the area dangerous not only on the ground, but also in the air.

But we also had a quiet travel experience on other areas, which have been leveling content, thus not dangerous to us anymore at max level.

Anyway, they could have made a similar concept for the Broken Isles. No-flying while leveling. Unlocking flying for every zone which has exploration + loremaster completed - with the restriction of world quest areas with quests which need to be done without flying. Also with the restriction of flying in Suramar because of the energy shield (prevents penetration when in the air, cannot fly while under the shield), and they could have reused the fel cannons from BC perfectly fine for all areas, which are heavily dominated by demon presence. They could have even had improved cannons with a higher reach, so you would be vigilant in a greater amount of space.

Such a solution would have been perfectly fine to have ground-based gameplay, flying gameplay, and dangerous flying all in one. But it would have cost more resources.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    It would be OK if they would handle dangerous flying like in BC, where some endgame daily areas were quarded by anti-air measures like Kaliri birds or cannons. You had to fly low with the Kaliri, so you would not die from fall damage if they get you, and you had to constantly move so the cannons would not hit you. There was a solution to every danger, which modified your flying experience and made the point in making the area dangerous not only on the ground, but also in the air.

But we also had a quiet travel experience on other areas, which have been leveling content, thus not dangerous to us anymore at max level.

Anyway, they could have made a similar concept for the Broken Isles. No-flying while leveling. Unlocking flying for every zone which has exploration + loremaster completed - with the restriction of world quest areas with quests which need to be done without flying. Also with the restriction of flying in Suramar because of the energy shield (prevents penetration when in the air, cannot fly while under the shield), and they could have reused the fel cannons from BC perfectly fine for all areas, which are heavily dominated by demon presence. They could have even had improved cannons with a higher reach, so you would be vigilant in a greater amount of space.

Such a solution would have been perfectly fine to have ground-based gameplay, flying gameplay, and dangerous flying all in one. But it would have cost more resources.
    All these speculations about a "solution" for the "problem" are very pointless tho since the real reason blizzard don't want flying has nothing to do with the excuses they have given. the real reasons are ONLY money and convenience.

Deleted
    My point exactly.

flying will come at some point like in any other expansion :v

Deleted
    Wouldn't those gimmicks just annoy the "pro-flight" people who are complaining that "pointless" terrain and mobs are wasting their time? Also wouldn't it take development time away from other aspects of the game just to focus on something the devs have decided they're not keen making?
    The pro flight people are not annoyed with terrain and mobs, once we are at the quest area. It's the spending half our playtime getting to the quest area that is the issue. You know, like we've told you for the past 522 pages

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    The pro flight people are not annoyed with terrain and mobs, once we are at the quest area. It's the spending half our playtime getting to the quest area that is the issue. You know, like we've told you for the past 522 pages
    dear blizzard please make it so I don't have to travel in the game

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dmerriam005 View Post
    dear blizzard please make it so I don't have to travel in the game
    Sure, that could work as well. Like in GW2. But please notice that we are asking for flight at max level, or even with Pathfinder. I like Pathfinder. Now only if Pathfinder would actualy reward flying.

lets put it this way would peoples cry about daze if the alternative is blizzard removing or delay ground mount? Because that is the kind of deal we have with flying, you get it modified and balanced or get it the old way at the end of the xpack.

Imho if peoples had the fear of ground mounts being removed or delayed they would shut up about daze.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Pure argument for the arguments sake is what it is.

But of course it gets a bit ridiculous when arguments to make flight more 'engaging' by adding mechanics that'd result in players getting dismounted and presumably have to parachute to the ground, is accompanied by near conspiracy-level arguments that anything that prolongs the time it takes to get to ones destination is a moneygrubbing scheme to slow down players.

Consistency...
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2016-09-20 at 11:08 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still ask myself if people would be happy when they would get flying at the start of an expansion but at only 60% speed, like it was in TBC. And the 280%/310% needs to be unlocked with the Pathfinder achievement.