Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I don't think it's necessarily the population that's causing the problems. I think it has more to do with how much damage a single person can do to the environment. Imagine how much impact you have on the environment compared to wild animals that are simply taking what they need, contributing to the natural order of life and eventually coming to an end and further feeding the process. Whereas humans just take, take, take and take. We harvest natural resources and turn them into poisons that we spread out into the world, killing natural wildlife and destroying habitats of wildlife.

Think of the impact that cutting down a 150 year old tree has on the future. We're becoming more and more efficient at harvesting materials from the wild but a lot of what we take won't be replaced for decades or centuries after the people that used those resources have died. We're destroying areas of the world that have been a certain way for thousands of years for temporary benefits or simple pleasure and not worrying about the future of the humans that will inhabit the world that we're destroying. There's a fucking mass of plastic in the ocean the size of Texas for fucks sake that isn't being cleaned by anyone because it's not financially beneficial to anyone right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Accommodate comfortably? I doubt that. Sure if everyone ate at a base caloric intake, but people don't want to do that. they want to eat like pigs and get fat.
    Food shortages can be judged by the price of food.

Over the long term, this price has declined greatly (in constant dollars). If the world is overpopulated now, then (judging by food prices) it was even more overpopulated a century ago.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Accommodate comfortably? I doubt that. Sure if everyone ate at a base caloric intake, but people don't want to do that. they want to eat like pigs and get fat.
    Yes, comfortably.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Now calculate in farm land needed to grow crops and livestock, cotton for food, land for generating energy to run our modern conveniences, roads for transportation, etc. Also calculate in the propensity of human greed.
    A few fusion reactors and underground, automated farms would do it.. so probably less land than those houses would take. And yes, we have the technology to do it even now. Not to mention overpopulation isnt even a thing in the West. In fact were suffering from aging population and people not wanting to have enough children.

So walling those poor countries off and letting them sort themselves out is all its gonna take.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    A few fusion reactors and underground, automated farms would do it..
    Fusion reactors aren't happening. And why build farms underground?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Fusion reactors aren't happening. And why build farms underground?
    They are already being built.. and so we can build houses on top! People, unlike plants actually want to see the real sunlight and sky above their heads.

You guys are just thinking about food...and nothing else.

Fail.

Unless everything else is a consideration then it will always be a fail.

Garbage...animal diversity...pollution....open space....

Thing is, the places where people are eating like pigs and getting fat are exactly the places where the population is leveling off or even decreasing in some cases. Most of the population growth is in poor countries whose people consume minimal resources, though this of course isn't going to last forever, as these economies develop and modernize, people will seek out more to consume.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Thing is, the places where people are eating like pigs and getting fat are exactly the places where the population is leveling off or even decreasing in some cases. Most of the population growth is in poor countries whose people consume minimal resources, though this of course isn't going to last forever, as these economies develop and modernize, people will seek out more to consume.
    This. Almost all of the fastest growing countries (over 3%) are in poor African nations. This is one place where America isn't the problem. We do throw away 40% of our food (even after getting fat on it), so it's not all roses either.

Because most people think it's their job to procreate and just want a part of themselves to live forever in this world.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are already being built.. and so we can build houses on top! People, unlike plants actually want to see the real sunlight and sky above their heads.
    The only operable fusion reactor that has a net positive energy output right now is the Sun.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    HAHAHAHAH these forums are hillarious! you have people on other threads talking about Japan having to many virgins + not enough people being born and basically people mocking people for being said virgins while it is the easiest way to have less people being born because surprise sex is for reproducing not for status.

What is even more funny is that people starving to death and bad wages etc is as other people already stated due to the shit redistribution of wealth in the world you are aware of that the 100 richest people in the world own 93% of its assets. On the note of there not being enough food how is it time and time again on these forums people are constantly bashing "fat" people and how they are such a big issue I mean seeing as the world is overpopulated according to the OP how can this be an actual is and not just that the people who are rich have almost EVERYTHING.

Good god sometimes I wonder why I bother reading all of the crap posted here.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Fusion reactors still haven't produced a net gain in power consumption vs power output. Fission does, but results in waste products.
    The ones "already being built" are research reactors with the intent on figuring out how to get a net gain.

Or, as someone else puts it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The only operable fusion reactor that has a net positive energy output right now is the Sun.

Like can you just not post please? I am tired of reading overpopulation deniers. I have already made it clear that I simply do not agree with overpopulation deniers. They don't want to accept that massive amount of events happening in the world are linked to overpopulation. Overpopulation deniers want to blame it on someone else like the super rich and corporations. This is simply a childish ploy to absolve themselves of all responsibility and guilt of the overpopulation problem and place all blame on to other groups.
    I can't not post. It's a crippling illness. But seriously, when places like Kazakhstan and Mongolia have like 12 people per square mile, you gotta come to the realization that there's plenty of room, just no good way to access it as of yet.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Falling wages due to over supplies of labor, lack of jobs, food shortages, rising inflation costs, animal die offs, massive environmental degradation, infrastructure failure, high crime rates, etc. How can people not see that overpopulation is a problem?
    Because the conversation is too hard to start and nearly impossible to solve. We would need an impending and highly obvious global disaster to even begin a dialogue.

To the people saying that overpopulation isn't a thing to take into consideration since there is plenty of unsettled land - are you retarded? I mean really, REALLY retarded?

Don't people need farmland which produce food for them all year around with natural disasters taken into account?
    Don't we need to consume raw materials at a rate that is lower than the earth produces them?
    Don't people want to live comfortably instead of taking the minimum?

Would you like to live on pills with an overcrowded earth, get stuck everywhere etc? But what am I talking about? Increasing the number of people can't POSSIBLY mean that each one has to get satisfied with less....right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iluwen_de View Post
    Because it is not a problem. We already have as many children as we ever gonna have. They will grow up, we will geta few billion more people but that is not a problem at all. Even in countries like Bangladesh, the number of children per family is at 2.X etc.

Watch this:
    Literally none of that is true.
    And yes its a problem, because of a variety of concerns, global warming, the size of the world economy, the environment.

Yeah, bro it's a huge fucking joke. You caught me. The whole list of serious things that I posted about are completely joke worthy. Falling wages due to over supplies of labor, lack of jobs, food shortages, rising inflation costs, animal die offs, massive environmental degradation, infrastructure failure, high crime rates, etc. Yep all those things are complete jokes. Lets just laugh them off and pretend that don't exist because that will surely fix the problem.
    Nothing you listed has anything to do with population. Move along.

Falling wages due to over supplies of labor, lack of jobs, food shortages, rising inflation costs, animal die offs, massive environmental degradation, infrastructure failure, high crime rates, etc. How can people not see that overpopulation is a problem?
    The problem will take care of itself soon, just have to wait for the bacteria and diseases to start resisting our drugs, and it is already happening.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Literally none of that is true.
    And yes its a problem, because of a variety of concerns, global warming, the size of the world economy, the environment.
    Go read up about evolutionary stability. It's fine. Also, global warming, HAHAHAHAHHH