Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    The biggest problem with having an EU army, is that it simply won't be funded properly.

Out of all the EU countries that are currently in NATO, only the UK, Greece and Estonia contribute the required 2% of GDP or above. The other EU nations are simply not prepared to pull their own weight, and continue to pay far less than they should, which is a large part of the reason why the US is so disillusioned with EU Nato members.

Given the reluctance and refusal of EU countries to pay for their NATO membership, you can't seriously expect them to commit the required money for a EU army. As such an EU army without the US or UK will be underfunded, will be under equipped and will not be fit for purpose.
    1. 2% is not a requirment, but a recommendation. That is why their are no repercussions for countries spending less.
    2.Economic Differences. A richer country that spends less then 2% may still end up paying for more then a poorer country that spends a greater amount of their GDP.
    3. Forcing Countries to spend a fixed amount of GDP is wasteful. Great they spend 2% of their GDP, now the Military has uneeded Vehicles and parts sitting away in a warhouse. Good news tough is that some Technical Museum in 50 years will have mint condition exhibits.
    4. and parts of the EU are disillusioned with the US. They dragged NATO into a non defensive War (and some may argue non necessary war).
    5. Reallying on the US is a bad idea. They have shown they will withdraw and abandon allies.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    5. Reallying on the US is a bad idea. They have shown they will withdraw and abandon allies.
    What a disgusting, pathetic and untrue thing to say.

Over 176,000 US servicemen died fighting for our freedom during WWII, they stood by us, just as they still stand by us. The nations of europe owe a huge debt to the US, which you haven't even come close to repaying.

Deleted

Over 176,000 US servicemen died fighting for our freedom during WWII, they stood by us, just as they still stand by us. The nations of europe owe a huge debt to the US, which you haven't even come close to repaying.
    They were late to the party

Deleted

They could've started saving us in 1939 instead of '44 though to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    They were late to the party
    If you would have preferred "...than never" to "better late...", and the Third Reich, could have just said so at the time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    They could've started saving us in 1939 instead of '44 though to be honest.
    The europeans could have saved themselves by not starting yet another bloodbath of a war in 1939. The US didn't have to get involved at all, they could have left europe to its own, self inflicted, fate.

The US didn't start either of the two world wars, Europeans did.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    If you would have preferred "...than never" to "better late...", and the Third Reich, could have just said so at the time.
    It would've been Soviet Union at best not Third Reich, but saying the US is our big great saviour, and then going on about how "we" are stupid to start wars that the US has to stop is a little arrogant.

Also that big continent over there is a great big lebensraum isn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

The europeans could have saved themselves by not starting yet another bloodbath of a war in 1939.
    You're right. It's much better to start wars in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Dear Britain,
    You left. Shut the fuck up.
    They didn't leave. Not yet anyway. In fact, if you want to be pedantic the vote wasn't even binding and the UK government could simply refuse to do it (though they have given every indication that they will respect the vote). Unless there is some provision in the EU charter allowing to strip a nation of power if they might-probably exit the EU, they have every right to exercise that power for as long as they are a member.

They obviously won't be exercising this influence forever and if the rest of the EU really wants it it's going to happen eventually, but that doesn't change the fact that it remains their right until the day the exit becomes reality.

All that said, I think an EU army is a ridiculously stupid idea. I have enough trouble trusting the lives of my country's young people to my own government where at least I know--even if I disagree with the reasoning--that they will be used in my own country's interest. I can't even fathom giving up that modicum of control to some international government who may or may not even be trying to operate in my interests, using the lives of our young people as their currency.
    Last edited by Xar226; 2016-09-20 at 06:40 PM.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Deleted

That was 75 years ago. Do you know what happened in the meantime?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I thought they were leaving. I guess this is a way for them to attempt to get leverage in negotiations when they do.
    It would apparently take time for us to leave the EU. Fuck knows how long it'll take.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    You're right. It's much better to start wars in the 90s.
    Plenty of truly brutal and inhuman wars in the 1990's, none of which were started by the US. Several were started by Europeans though.

And that was only after years of them mulling over whetever they'd prefer nazi Germany over possible Communist overtake of Europe in wakes of war.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted

So I owe a dept because of the actions of people several generations ago, that I had nothing to do with? Might aswell say the US owed Germany, Poland favours because a Prussian General trained American Revolutionary Soldiers and Officers, and because Prussia blocked Hessian Mercenaries from fighting for Britain.
    Russia was also the reason the European powers did not get involved in the American Civil War. Guess the US owes Russia some favours, nice way to repay that depth with a cold war.

They did not fight in Europe for freedom. They fought in Europe because Germany declared war on the US in a effort to get Japan to fight the USSR. If your statement about the US fighting for freedom had some truth to it. They would have not waited until Germany got so strong, nor would they have let fellow democracies and allies fall under USSR control. Same goes for the Dictators they propped up elsewere.

So stop your blood dept nonsense.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    That was 75 years ago. Do you know what happened in the meantime?
    Nothing that has happened since negates what the US did for Europe.

Wow, Germany, you've really come a long way. You've cleaned up your act, have become one of the most tolerant and richest countries in Europe. You've turned your life around and have made life so great for everyone around you. Truly you are a paragon of redemption and austerity. I'm really proud of you and am in no way afraid of you regressing into a dystopian-nihilistic-Despotic Dictatorship like you've done twice before.

Here are the keys to the castle.

The europeans could have saved themselves by not starting yet another bloodbath of a war in 1939. The US didn't have to get involved at all, they could have left europe to its own, self inflicted, fate.

The US didn't start either of the two world wars, Europeans did.
    As far as Finland is concerned, you did. Except it wasn't even self inflicted, when it was the Soviets invading for fun. This part of Europe owes nothing to US, for their non existant help.

Infact, as funny as it sounds, it was Hitler who helped. That is until he demanded control of Finland. Then we had to drive Germans away too, again without any help from US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Infact, as funny as it sounds, it was Hitler who helped. That is until he demanded control of Finland. Then we had to drive Germans away too, again without any help from US.
    Actually we drove them away as per treaty with Soviets after Continuum War. It was either that or Russians would've come and 'helped' us remove a threat to them.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Actually we drove them away as per treaty with Soviets after Continuum War. It was either that or Russians would've come and 'helped' us remove a threat to them.
    I know, but we still had to chase them off, and they didn't go too willingly, seeing from the damages they did in the north.

And they didn't go willingly, because Hitler didn't get his demands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    Wow, Germany, you've really come a long way. You've cleaned up your act, have become one of the most tolerant and richest countries in Europe. You've turned your life around and have made life so great for everyone around you. Truly you are a paragon of redemption and austerity. I'm really proud of you and am in no way afraid of you regressing into a dystopian-nihilistic-Despotic Dictatorship like you've done twice before.

Here are the keys to the castle.
    This is the correct attitude. Well done.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Themessiah View Post
    Because while the value of the Drachma would be low, so too would the value of the Euro. Germany would no longer be propping up the value of the Euro, now having its own non-Euro currency. As such, the Greek debt is devalued.
    There are other countries that would still prop it up much above where the Drachma would be, also: why would Germany just give away all that money for free?