Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Only the fact N'zoth and Azshara still exist they can be 2 expansions themselves or one, depends how much they want to exploit us.

Then you have Void Lords where they can simply introduce them in any way possible.

You also have "Caverns of Time" aspect where they can add all of the 23423432 battles as dungeons/raids, at any time possible.

It's the other way around for me. It isn't that WoW is too old, it's that I'm too old. I'm 33, the first time I played it was when I was 23, and the vocal community more than commonly represents people around that age. So, when I binge those 2-3 weeks every expansion launch, it does leave me with a feeling of disgust in myself knowing very damn well I could be chasing a larger bonus instead which does eventually make me unsub.

Deleted
    This game is 12 yo and full of people playing.I won't be surprised if it will be up and running at its 20th anniversary.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is going to be around for a long, long time. The sub count can drop to under a million and the game can still make money.

Even if the next xpac was the final 1 (and it 100% wont be) the game would still have at least another 3 years to run. In all likelihood the absolute minimum that WOW will be supported for will be the next 5 years and i'd be quite suprised if there wasn't new content coming for at least the next 7 or 8 years...

Mist showed us that good storytelling doesn't have to be built on dangling plot hooks from years ago. Yes, a lot of the main story could wrap up this expansion but that doesn't mean there is no where to go from here. If you are enjoying the ride then hang on. If you feel it's time to get off then happy trails.

All in all it's a game... a hobby. I spend a little extra on my hobby and I'm ok with it because I'm enjoying it now... it's not an investment portfolio. Looking back on wow I don't see money wasted... I see adventures and friendships which flourished under the guise of slaying internet dragons.

1. WoW is by far the most healthy MMO out. The next expansion could be WoW 2, honestly, Legion could have been WoW 2.
    2. How do you know those devs "retired" voluntarily? You don't think someone's ass should have been fired over WoD? These are the people responsible for WoD, why are you so sad to see them go?
    3. The next MMO you pick, that new one, its servers and its expansions will END while WoW is still being developed for.

Just saying. Why do you think WoW is an old game? Each expansion is a relaunch. You are the type of person who has to have an 'expansion' named WoW 2, to be able to think of it as a new game. I bet you also want gimmicky action combat. Also, why do you think the sub numbers are down? It looks like(is proven?) the same number of people(or more?) are buying Legion that bought WoD, and it was up to 10m subs....so actually if the same number of people can do the new content this time, that did it last time, how is it in decline at all? Particularly since it seems Blizzard has learned their lesson.

10+ Year Old Account
    Veterans moving on should be reassuring, they're being replaced by younger, hungrier devs with fresh ideas. What really kills a game off are development teams living off reputation.

Sorry for smashing it, but you know, IT'S JUST A GAME!

So,
    1. Play it while you are enjoying it. And if not, play something else! Again: it's just a game. Nothing to gain. And you cannot trust Blizzard. Don't get attached to anything.
    2. Find your life's purpose in the infinite game named real life!

Just some advice by some old lad, who plays this game – on and off – for over 11 years.

Besties

Quote Originally Posted by Crabsy View Post
    Hey there everyone, ...

Thanks for any replies and hopefully helping allay fears of mine!

Legion will most likely last 2+ years, and they've already started working on the expansion after this one.
    WoW isnt going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Veterans moving on should be reassuring, they're being replaced by younger, hungrier devs with fresh ideas. What really kills a game off are development teams living off reputation.
    That's EXACTLY the opposite of what Blizzard is. Blizzard is Diablo 2, a game that doesn't really have a dev team and no xpac in 16 years that still is played a lot. Blizzard is Starcraft, a game that got 1 xpac and had a ton of players and even became a super phenomenon in South Korea as a TV esport.

The key to Blizzard's success isn't fresh ideas, isn't a dev team, or any of that. Its a VERY social gaming experience that supports itself. Blizzard isn't Chris Metzen. Blizzard isn't Greg Street. Its the players.

The LAST thing Blizzard should do is change that and become a gaming company that thinks fresh ideas are the future. THAT is what is causing the sub loss in WoW.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    OP : Everquest got its latest expansion in november 2015, and a new one is planned.

Yes, Everquest. First of the name, from 1999. It's still alive and getting content, despite never rising to even reach 1 million sub, and it has 22 (twenty-two) expansions released already.

So don't worry, WoW, regardless how bad it can become, has still a long life ahead of it.
    That is incredibly impressive!

Hey there everyone, been playing wow on and of since launch blah blah you know the drill. However I'm having an odd issue.

Every since the launch of Cataclysm I always get this feeling of "this is the last expansion and wow is too old now, it's gotta shut down soon!". And whenever I get these feelings it really makes me question my commitment to the game. This is the first expansion since wrath that has me constantly thinking about playing wow again and I love it. However I get that nagging feeling of, is wow finally done? Should I keep investing time doing things like achievements?

The reason while I feel slightly stronger about it this time around is basically; WoDs massive sub drop and then all the high profile veteran devs leaving, the real main wow story wrapping up.

Basically what I'm asking is, does WoW still have a lot of life left in it for a 12 year old game? Am I just being ridiculous and should just keep looking forward to more expansions?

Thanks for any replies and hopefully helping allay fears of mine!
    I would say no. While I don't think WoW will die soon, I think its too old to start the time investment for the first time. This is a game many of us have played for 8 or 9 years and have racked up so many items, achievements, and experiences, we will all hate to see it gone. I think if you find it come, come back for the expansions, but I would not recommend a newer player to the game or even the MMO genre. The problem with MMO's is we put all of this time into it and get so invested into our character; however the reality is that shit happens and it can all be gone in an instant. Businesses fuck up. Its happened to me before in three other situations where I have put extreme amounts of time into a MMO and either the company A. Gets bought, B. Goes bankrupt, C. Makes a core disliked gameplay change, or D. The game isn't worth supporting. Like I said WoW isn't going anywhere soon, but if theres one thing finance has taught me its that expectations are wrong. A lot.

WoW takes a significant amount of time to learn before you get to experience most of its core gameplay - so if you are new for the first time I would not play, because its hard to predict how it will look 5-6 years from now. If you already have a character and know how to play, play if you are playing for fun. If you like to build your character over years and years like I do, I can't really help you because I am trying to figure out whether I myself should play.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Everything is artificially prolonging the game, it's called the game

Time spent enjoying something is never time wasted.
    My FC is 1177 - 6552 - 9842 PM with yours if you add.

I think you should maybe take a break to avoid the burn out of the game, even if you like a lot the current expantion but you still feeling some void or dont enjoyt much in a moment to other then i really recommend take a break to at least one mount or two

Deleted
    WoW has content that is fun, making emotional and time investing players unreasonable. Like multiplayer content, as in raids.

Deleted
    Should I keep investing time doing things like achievements?
    You should never do things like achievements. Ignoring them is the best someone can do.

Deleted
    I strongly believe that players starting today find the game to be better/more fun than the ol' grizzled veterans do.

Quote Originally Posted by Caketime View Post
    I strongly believe that players starting today find the game to be better/more fun than the ol' grizzled veterans do.
    Well, they don't have the perspective with how the game was in its early phase, they don't have the feeling of how the game moved out from its roots, and they probably only play it now if it fits their preferences.

So yeah, they probably find it much more fun than many vet will.

7+ Year Old Account
    WoW still has alot of life and it is going quite well atm It is proberly going to survive for a few years more atleast, so there is good enough reason to keep playing and to stay emotional invested. Even if WoW does not survive the ages, Warcraft will, so we will keep seeing the characters going forward.

If the game is worth the time and energy is a really personal question. If you personally feel like it is getting old and on the brink of death, then it is that for you and you should act on that thought. In the end, it is all about enjoyment Do you enjoy the game? Do you like the story and the characters within that story? Well if yes, then play to your hearts desire If not, then there are many games out there, which deserves your time aswell
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.