Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

So many high profile ppl leaving Blizzard atm.

Chris Metzen, Nick Carpenter, Josh Mosqueira,James Waugh, Tyson Murphy and Craig Amai. some are retired some joined Riot. other made their own new game company*sponsored by Riot.
    My Q is what is currently happening at blizzard hq?
    any issues with BLizzard leadership/work environment?
    shouldn't Blizzard be concerned with resent development?
    (I know Blizzard is a vast organization with giant management, however this should spark a atlest small curiosity.)

share ur thoughts on the matter!

15+ Year Old Account
    People working in big corporate companies lose their enthusiasm after some time and that's what leads them to this outcome.
    The main reason behind this, is simply because they tend to work on the same various things and most times feel insane pressure.
    At some point, after you have enough money to do almost what ever you want, you simply want a new challenge.

Blizzard could try to lure them from leaving with more money, more budget to spend in their related projects or a different path to follow.
    In the end tho, sometimes, it's just better to let them go and just use the people under them who are more enthusiastic and motivated.

All in all, this is most likely better for us (gamers / consumers) since we'll might actually see something new / different / better / more addictive in the horizon.
    Reckoning Bomb - Unleashes the Reckoning upon the Scourge, inflicting ridiculous amounts of damage. Some might even say the damage is ludicrous.

My thinking; Blizzard has been trying to step into competitive gaming ESPORTS for over a decade, maybe even two. They have only marginally succeeded. SC/SC2 is a niche and nothing compared to, say, LoL, in size. Then came Hearthstone, which isn't a bad game, doesn't do bad on streams (or used to, idk), but has nowhere near the amount of views RIOT generates. Then came HotS, which is again, a decent game, but nowhere near the attraction RIOT gets and now that other whatisitcalled shooter, which no doubt is a good game, but nowhere near the attraction RIOT has. Basically they probably gave up.

People are in and out of companies of this size all the time, but usually there isn't a site for every one of those dedicated to reporting it every single time someone leaves.

Also, this is creative/entertainment industry. Being an employee is not the norm. And you don't want to be an employee for too long. At least change the company for a while. There's the famous saying: if you're being employed, they're ripping you off. You also need to keep yourself fresh.

No need to read silly shit into things like this.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess is blizzard wants young minds. I have nothing but respect for the blizzard crew that bought the name this far.

Could be that blizzard wants to go in a new direction and upper management wants new fresh minds to take blizzard in said new direction.

Positions being shuffled could lead to a few employees thinking now is the time to retire.

But what do I know lol

Deleted
    High profile? From that list I've only heard of Chris Metzen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremob View Post
    So many high profile ppl leaving Blizzard atm.
    They are?

Chris Metzen
    Josh Mosqueira
    OK, these guys are relatively well-known. Granted.

Nick Carpenter
    James Waugh
    Tyson Murphy
    Craig Amai
    Never heard of these guys before, in any context, aside from people bringing them up on these forums. I bet there are like two people in the world who would've known these guys even worked for Blizzard. Absolutely not "high profile" in any way or form.

most of them were working for more then a decade at blizzard
    if you work in big companies and/or in a creativ job you frequently searching for new challanges an so you leave on company and join another

this is nothing special. its just noticable because a lot are leave right now, but as said, they were there for so long and after summer its mostly the normal time to switch jobs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    High profile? From that list I've only heard of Chris Metzen.
    Who is gonna voice Thrall now though? Maybe they'll kill him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Who is gonna voice Thrall now though? Maybe they'll kill him off.
    Metzen confirmed he will keep being thrall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why people even consider to work with Riot Games? Seriously Riot is not better than EA.

Sure they created LoL which is popular, and personally i like LoL too but not as game. More i like LoL lore about Freljord etc. But game is pure crap. Support is not helpfull at all, i remember when i sended messages to thier support and they didin't help. Or Azir struggle, still they change him and can't find balance for him i just lol'd. And the community is one of worst i ever saw, second only is Warframe community.

If Bonfire Studios might work with Valve, could be awesome, but with them? Pfff...

Ok you can hate me now, i don't care.

They just released an expac. It is probably the most responsible point at which to leave rather than filter out slowly over the next couple of years while they are working n the next one turning everything on it's head.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by arcuro View Post
    most of them were working for more then a decade at blizzard
    if you work in big companies and/or in a creativ job you frequently searching for new challanges an so you leave on company and join another

this is nothing special. its just noticable because a lot are leave right now, but as said, they were there for so long and after summer its mostly the normal time to switch jobs
    Not only that, but most of them are specifically from WoW.

Imagine working on the same exact game for years on end. It's hardly unreasonable to get bored or fed up with it.

Dude, the average lifespan of a job for people these days is like 1-2 years. These people have been there for 10+ in some cases. Sometimes, especially for creative people, you just need a change of scenery.

Besides, all of us out there who want to work for Blizzard one day... means now there are a few open positions.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I saw the timing of it as the end of a project/ they probably thought it was a good time to leave while WoW is doing well. If legion had crashed and burned it would have felt like leaving them in their darkest hour. Chris metzen is no doubt a millionaire. He probably wants to play video games in his undies all day drinking fine wine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    They are?

OK, these guys are relatively well-known. Granted.

Never heard of these guys before, in any context, aside from people bringing them up on these forums. I bet there are like two people in the world who would've known these guys even worked for Blizzard. Absolutely not "high profile" in any way or form.
    Craig Amai was the lead quest designer. Shit like Suramar, Artifacts, and Timeless Isle are all of his shit. He was an extremely important member of the team. Tyson Murphy was the lead character designer. Also an incredibly importnat roll. They may not be rockstars of gaming, but they were high profile in that they were essential members of the WoW team.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Craig Amai was the lead quest designer. Shit like Suramar, Artifacts, and Timeless Isle are all of his shit. He was an extremely important member of the team. Tyson Murphy was the lead character designer. Also an incredibly importnat roll. They may not be rockstars of gaming, but they were high profile in that they were essential members of the WoW team.
    Like it's hard to make those stupid quests, my 10 years old cousin could probably do it.

Deleted
    Holy shit, how many threads about this are you people gonna make?

Veteran staff want to be challenged and work on new things. Instead, Blizzard has regressed into focusing on glorified mobile games for the Candy Crush crowd (Hearthstone, Heroes, Overwatch)

It's no surprise at this point they'd leave in droves to work on new things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I'm sure they were those things. Doesn't mean they weren't just as unknown as the 2000 other people working for Blizzard.