Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Cameron wasn't going to get any of the measures mentioned passed and Parliament certainly wasn't going to pass them. A lot of MPs see it as a obesity vs economy issue, and whilst they may pay lip service to healthy ideals, the money comes first.

Oh and Jamie "standing up against the obesity epidemic" is pretty much the only way he keeps his career moving at this point so please don't mistake it for altruism.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    No this has come from experience working numerous minimum wage jobs and a lot of reading about income statistics and contemporary poverty.

I can understand why you are lonely if you try dictate peoples' experiences to them like that though.
    I can understand why you suck at finding good jobs if you dont even understand that usernames are just usernames. I'm not a zergling either in case you wonder.

I really doubt the validity of this to be honest Jamie Oliver is a tv presenter who is just capitalising on peoples hatred of fat people.

I mean all the people who research and study this say it's not as simple as Jamie Oliver would make it seem.

It's obvious he isn't doing this shit after a 12 hour shift isn't it.
    No, his meals and more recent cookbooks are super easy to cook, quick and cheap. You are just objectively wrong. Go pick one up.

I liked JO before he did all this awareness stuff, I like him even more for it.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hate to break this to you but when you work 40+ hour weeks cooking every meal is far from viable.
    lmao are you fucking serious? I'm away from home because of work 55-60hrs a week yet manage to cook all my own meals.

Viability =/= laziness.

Im objectively wrong yet most studies about the causes of obesity agree with me..... ok.

Sorry if i accept that this is a multi-faceted problem without a single basic cause.

I get that you want this to be a simple problem but if it was it wouldn't be one.

Oh yeah just drop 40 dollars on a cook book that's an affordable cost for families barely struggling to make ends meet. (looking it up he does have them online for free, that's actually a decent thing of him to do. Oh lol not the 15 minute one though.....

I understand he comes from a place of compassion, i just disagree with his methods.

- - - Updated - - -

Would just be nice if people would acknowledge this isn't a simple phenomenon and that being narrow-minded about its causes does much more harm than good.
    It is a simple problem. People eat too much of the wrong food and don't exercise enough. Calories in > calories out.

Don't have time? Cook a big batch of things like casseroles at the weekend then freeze it for the rest of the week.

Also, his book is $16, not $40.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing you've never come home from work after standing for 8 hours though.
    I have. And these people are being lazy. He also said he's away from home.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You work from home..... You are literally in your house most of the time. Most people don't have that privilege.
    I said Away from home. Reading comprehension is hard for you I see.

I also stand for 9hrs a day at work and lift heavy items for most of that time.

stop trying to defend lazy people, cooking your own meals is easy, people being lardasses due to laziness is no one elses fault but their own.

American? in that case it is 40 dollars where i live. well more like 35.

Life is not as simple as a basic chemical equation dude.

"1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day"

ohhhhhh. one of those people who wants the world to know they lift. kk

Weekends hahahaha. So many people have 1 day weekends. Leisure time is a precious commodity for many people.
    https://www.amazon.com/Jamies-Food-R...s=jamie+oliver

Actually, life is that simple.

So they don't have one hour to plan meals for the week and cook food to ultimately save money?

Good job trying to use my signature of all things to attack me, really shows your argument is intelligent.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

ohhhhhh. one of those people who wants the world to know they lift. kk
    Which means they exercise. And that is actually relevant in a topic about obesity. No grounds for shaming.

Oh misread you comment.

Im dyslexic so yeah it is a bit harder for me than it is most people.

Oh your job is literally the exercise you need to keep healthy that's nice.

How is it their fault? They cannot control things like metabolism and thyroid glands. They cannot control how much they work or how tired they are after. Sure they can influence these things but they are not 100% controllable.

Stop trying to defend people being judgemental ass holes. There are plenty of lazy skinny people they don't eat healthy either. Laziness is not the common factor.

- - - Updated - - -

It means they have an inflated ego.

- - - Updated - - -

Life is not 1 chemical equation. Chemical equations are a construct to allow people to understand complex and intertwined biological concepts.

Well realistically people should eat 31 meals per week 1 hour isn't going to plan and prepare all that.

It was a side note. I just find it humorous that it's always the same types of people who say the shit you do.

I do not have an inflated ego. I lift because I enjoy it, and like pushing my body in the most basic way possible: moving heavy stuff around. To claim anyone who lifts or simply uses a well known lifters meme has an inflated ego is nothing short of ridiculous. At no point does it indicate anything about an inflated ego. Nice reach.

I'm not going to start arguing with you about the chemical equations associated with sentient life. Point is, obesity, when you strip everything away is as simple as calories in and calories out.

No, 1 hour is probably being a bit strict. Even 3 hours - if you are in a position where you work that much and are that poor then the government has failed you. But, if you aren't prepared to do that work for 3 hours just for food and to save money then you are lazy and deserve no sympathy.
    Last edited by willtron; 2016-09-21 at 11:18 AM.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

Quote Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
    I gained weight when I stopped playing football/soccer 4 times a week, started working in IT and sustained the same eating habits which is the government's fault and not my own so I will sue Prince Trudeau for my troubles instead of biking/lifting again or being active for 20 minutes a day.
    same story here, I used to play rugby and american football. a lot. then i had a knee injury and had to stop both... but the eating habits that came with being a big bastard remained. so I got fatter and fatter.. it isn't the govt's fault. it's nobody but my own!
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    A pack of 20 is £9 here.
    And that's if you buy cheap skanky cigarettes, decent ones have been >£10 for a while....
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

It's not just because you lift. It's your attitude towards other people.

You can't strip everything away, doing that is called reductionism and is not the way to solve complex societal issues.

The government, businesses, society has failed you yeah, i mean that is a huge factor is that the people affected negatively by the government etc. are people who are poor. That's the way it is. Both the left and right wing are guilty of this.

Society is failing to help many people who need it.
    And what is my attitude towards other people?

Obesity isn't complex. People are eating too much of the wrong food and no exercising enough. It really is that simple.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Yes, make food more expensive. That'll sort out all the problems.
    Currently you have all the unhealthy shit getting subsidized while healthy foods are not. When poor people can choose between 1 broccoli or 8 cheeseburgers, well then you get the problems.

Would just be nice if people would acknowledge this isn't a simple phenomenon and that being narrow-minded about its causes does much more harm than good.
    It's just as simple or complicated as our lives are.
    Cooking every meal is reasonable. So is personally planting and harvesting all our food.
    But it's incompatible our current lifestyles.

People rarely think about the outliers (like the poor, who should not exist, other than by choice, anyway). On this forum they're probably thinking about middle uppers; those that supposedly are the bulk of the population. These people do have wiggle room to choose their lifestyle within some margins: choose a job, choose a career, choose a family, choose a fucking big television...
    For those people, having a healthy diet, cooking their food, doing some exercise or whatever the is the latest argument against "the lazy" is a choice. One we're culturally discouraging in favor of further enslaving to 40h+commute schedules.

Deleted
    No this has come from experience working numerous minimum wage jobs and a lot of reading about income statistics and contemporary poverty.

I can understand why you are lonely if you try dictate peoples' experiences to them like that though.
    If you are as smart about economics as you are trying to sound, and did all this reading and studying on the matter, why exactly are you working minimum wage jobs for 12 hours a day? Could it be you're not as smart as you think you are on the subject?

For that matter i work 50+ hours most weeks also and can make myself a healthy meal every day, literally takes 10-15 min daily to prep. Most people spend more time than that in the shower every day.
    Last edited by mmocd1f612b92e; 2016-09-21 at 11:43 AM.

Deleted
    Who said i was currently working a minimum wage job (no shame in that though)?

If you think a job is an apt signifier of intelligence then maybe you're not as smart as you think you are.

Believe it or not money is a coercive force in peoples' lives not everyone strives to make as much of it as they can.
    You did say you worked several minimum wage jobs yourself. Also, i never said a job is a signifier of intelligence, i said intelligence is a signifier of the job you have., big difference.

where i currently live cigarettes will be 30 dollars NZD in 2 years. just for the cheapest pack of 20s.

- - - Updated - - -

Judgemental, unsympathetic.

It's that simple if you strip literally every other factor that contributes. Ignoring the other factors will not solve anything.

Lack of education (which you are illustrating lel), lack of access to healthy foods, lack of time, disease etc etc. these are all things that need to be addressed before we start blaming people's life choices.

I mean reduce it to that if you want it just shows that you just want to sit up on your high horse.

I mean i study bio, but even the biological causes are not that simple, genetics, environment etc. are big factors too, not just energy in energy out.
    I'm unsympathetic to people who complain but don't do anything to change it.

Lack of education should be solved in schools.
    Are you living in a twinkie factory? Where in 2016 do you not have access to healthy food?
    Lack of time? Even if you have 1 day a week free, you can do something with just that to make a stark difference, and lets be honest if these people really wanted to change their lifestyle they would find the time.
    Disease? Short of being bed ridden, it's just excuses. If you can go to work with it, you can do something about it.

You're just over complicating the issue. It really is as simple as diet and exercise. Calories in and calories out. So, if you study biology at a reasonable level you'd know that the variant of the obesity gene is called FTO (I'm sad it isn't FAT). Have a guess what they recommend to combat it. Nothing too overcomplicated - exercise.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

Deleted
    Yeah most people work several minimum wage jobs before they get the experience though.

I do forget that unintelligent people deserve to be treated like garbage.

Yeah that's why the people at the top of most companies are emotionally unintelligent.
    Where exactly am i treating unintelligent people like garbage?
    Als you are claiming people in the top of companies generally have a low EI? Jobs that mostly take social networking and having a high EI to get there in the first place?
    Besides the whole claim being royally off-topic, thank you for single-handedly showing that you know nothing at all on the subject and are just trying to sound smart cause you've read wikipedia (and even failed to interepret the information on there correctly)
    Last edited by mmocd1f612b92e; 2016-09-21 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Seeing as how cigarettes are taxed a good bit I don't see taxes stopping people from buying candy.
    But it works. Taxes on sugar has been effective in Mexico.

Deleted
    Networking isn't really a sign of EI. Compassion and empathy do not get you high ranking jobs.

By suggesting they deserve low incomes.

I mean i have more of a basis for this than wikipedia. It doesn't sound like you've read anything except Fox news articles.

I'm not trying to sound smart I'm trying to illustrate that this is a complex issue which is bigger than just fat people are lazy.
    Except that compassion and empathy have nothing to do at all with emotional intelligence, maybe try reading past the first paragraph next time, just a tip.