Thread: Gtx 1060

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I wouldnt call timespy good either... With all the controversy surrounding that one.
    Honest question, you also believe flat earth society claims?

That thing was one of the most ridiculous tech related things I read on the internet (at least for that time). A person who has no idea how things work spouts random stuff, and people believe him. It was funny, because watching trolls is. But taking it seriously? Nah...
    There wasn't even one reputable person/company who said "yes, he's right". In fact iirc AMD released some statement later on in which they said that this is a good benchmark. Or the plot thickens and AMD were paid off?

After giving the matter some thought, not only their implementation gains performance on AMD hardware as other titles, but it's also beneficial for NVidia. And all that without vendor specific code. Quite impressive, don't you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dadev View Post
    Honest question, you also believe flat earth society claims?
    Please none of that.
    That thing was one of the most ridiculous tech related things I read on the internet (at least for that time). A person who has no idea how things work spouts random stuff, and people believe him.
    To be honest, all of us spout random tech stuff. Unless you work directly on these API's and game engines, all we're doing is regurgitating what other people say. Which is why I hate how silent developers are on how the code and API's are working out for them.
    There wasn't even one reputable person/company who said "yes, he's right". In fact iirc AMD released some statement later on in which they said that this is a good benchmark. Or the plot thickens and AMD were paid off?
    I remain skeptical against companies, cause they obviously have a conflict of interest. AMD isn't the only source against this controversy with Time Spy. Though I just hate 3DMark cause I hate synthetic tests cause they don't represent real world results. Especially when you have games like Rise of The Tomb Raider which favors Nvidia, and Deus Ex which favors AMD, regardless of which API you use. A trend in the industry that needs to stop.
    After giving the matter some thought, not only their implementation gains performance on AMD hardware as other titles, but it's also beneficial for NVidia. And all that without vendor specific code. Quite impressive, don't you think?
    The question is, are the gains as much as possible? We know that Rise of The Tomb Raider has gains for both AMD and Nvidia hardware, but it does heavily favor Nvidia. But again, without anyone in the industry talking like John Carmack used to, all we can do now is speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Which is why I hate how silent developers are on how the code and API's are working out for them.
    I wouldn't call developers silent. True, they usually don't voice their opinions on internet forums, but you're welcome to attend SIGGRAPH and GDC and hear all those opinions for yourself.

I remain skeptical against companies, cause they obviously have a conflict of interest. AMD isn't the only source against this controversy with Time Spy.
    What incentive AMD has to say that the benchmark is good when it's not (for them)? Isn't the simplest answer is the correct one? AMD says it's good, hence it's good.
    Furthermore, companies employ real developers, there's freedom of speech and they're free to express their opinions. I didn't hear about developers from amd, nvidia, intel and microsoft (who should have access to source code) that complained about the benchmark.
    Also, it's quite likely that this benchmark doesn't represent current real world results because if current games were designed with this ridiculous amount of content, running at 1440p nobody would play them.

The question is, are the gains as much as possible?
    Quite possible that you can get more, but can you point to a game that gains more at the same resolution?
    Last edited by dadev; 2016-09-17 at 03:50 PM.

Deleted
    i have the best computer in the world, runs minecraft

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know Time Spy has the most gains from Async for both vendors, nothing else tops it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Which is weird, because their ports before that were actually good.
    Yeah, I don't know what happened. I'm just guessing no experience with DX12 but it doesn't feel like they're learning it when they seem to be repeating the same mistakes. Granted DICE did the exact same things when they first implemented Mantle. Absurd memory consumption and such were common.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Broken? Looking at the CPU load in TR while running DX12 I get the impression I could throw in a pentium 2 and still retain 60 fps.
    CPU load doesn't mean anything. I can make a program to completely bring the CPU to it's knees doesn't mean the work done is done well. Plus, CPU is only part of performance, GPU and software is the other part (technically every part of the computer affects it but just in a broad sense).
    Took them many months and patches just to have Tomb Raider in a relatively non broken state. This is the exact repeat of RotTR with DE:MD. People reporting that (max settings) that the game is taking 12GBs of RAM kind of notes that something is extremely wrong.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-09-18 at 03:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post

interesting video
    Fascinating, but needed more games for a better picture. Especially cause only 1 game isn't a Gameworks game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be getting my best buddy a 3g 1060 or a 4g 470 for his birthday here soon. He prefers AMD but the 3g 1060 performs better in the games he plays.

he's currently using a regular 270 so either is a huge upgrade for him.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think he knows what CPU overhead means. CPU overhead specifically addresses CPU to GPU communication where there are wasted cycles or commands that take too long for the CPU to tell what the GPU to do. More known is draw call, but nonetheless this isn't a showing of CPU overhead reduction, but just performance has increased, while still good, doesn't say anything about CPU overhead. If you want to test it, you'd put scenes with excessive amount of draw calls needed where it becomes CPU bottlenecked on one CPU core and test between the two drivers.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-09-21 at 03:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    I'll be getting my best buddy a 3g 1060 or a 4g 470 for his birthday here soon. He prefers AMD but the 3g 1060 performs better in the games he plays.

he's currently using a regular 270 so either is a huge upgrade for him.
    What are the games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    What are the games?
    Sorry, Tomb Raider/RotTR, GTA5, and Witcher 3.

He's using a Pentium G3258 though, he'd probably fair better if I got him a locked i5 1150 cpu.

Probably get him whats cheaper tbh. :P
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Sorry, Tomb Raider/RotTR, GTA5, and Witcher 3.

He's using a Pentium G3258 though, he'd probably fair better if I got him a locked i5 1150 cpu.

Probably get him whats cheaper tbh. :P
    With those games he would be better off with Nvidia. Also GTA5 would complain if you have a G3258 CPU, so an i5 would be a big upgrade. I've played Tomb Raider and I'm surprised so many people talk about it. You just move from one scripted event to another. Got bored fast and left the get alone for a while. Been a while since I played Witcher 3, but it is a bad ass game. I would definitely play it again.

I've played Tomb Raider and I'm surprised so many people talk about it. You just move from one scripted event to another.
    not really, thats just the main story

theres a ton of sideways exploring for hidden items/treasures + tombs/puzzles .. its quite similar to the Arkham games really, just without the full city freeroam glide

also it looks amazing, I think on PC Ultra it looks as good or better (and definitely crisper) than Uncharted 4

not really, thats just the main story

theres a ton of sideways exploring for hidden items/treasures + tombs/puzzles .. its quite similar to the Arkham games really, just without the full city freeroam glide

also it looks amazing, I think on PC Ultra it looks as good or better (and definitely crisper) than Uncharted 4
    Not that this is a thread about games, but Tomb Raider is definitely on rails. Sure, there is a small amount of exploring and a few puzzles, but by and large, the game is on rails. Some people just don't like that feeling and will not like the game. That's ok. It's was fun for me for what it is, but also over really quickly and most definitely on rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Not that this is a thread about games, but Tomb Raider is definitely on rails. Sure, there is a small amount of exploring and a few puzzles, but by and large, the game is on rails. Some people just don't like that feeling and will not like the game. That's ok. It's was fun for me for what it is, but also over really quickly and most definitely on rails.
    its much more than a small amount

in any given area you can spend time finding hidden items after you've dispatched the enemies

I think it took me either 20 or 25+ hours (forgot which) to beat the 2013 TR for the first time with a 87% completion at the end

its much more than a small amount

in any given area you can spend time finding hidden items after you've dispatched the enemies

I think it took me either 20 or 25+ hours (forgot which) to beat the 2013 TR for the first time with a 87% completion at the end
    20-25 Hours for 87% completion? You are slow and not thorough. My first run of that game took anout 18 hours and had 95% completion. Second play through, using only the bow as a weapon except when forced to use other weapons, 100% completion in about 24 hours. Also, compare that to The Witcher 3. A Speed run, skipping all the story cinematics and talking and not doing any of the side exploration takes 20-25 hours. Compared to that, yes, Tomb Raider had a small amount, a very small amount.

why would I compare TR to Witcher 3 ?

thats silly

20-25 hours is not small by any stretch

why would I compare TR to Witcher 3 ?

thats silly

20-25 hours is not small by any stretch
    You can beat the entire game in a little over an hour in a speed run:
    http://www.speedrun.com/tr2013

That's a small game.

The average play time is also quite a bit less than your 20-25 hours, being closer to 16 hours:
    http://www.gamelengths.com/games/playtimes/Tomb+Raider/

Pretty small game and it is very much on rails. Not saying there is anything wrong with that. I enjoyed it for what it was, but let's not pretend it is something it is not.

Is it worth to upgrade for me? I now have a Gtx680 Phantom 2GB + amd fx6100..All games i play(WoW,Witcher 3,Fifa and so on..) run on high/ultra Settings in 1920*1080.I would upgrade to a Gtx1060 then. what you think would it be a big upgrade or is my cpu then the problem with the 1060?

thanks