MW artifact question

so I've been running my monk is primarily WW in Legion but I still use MW as offspec for dungeons and the like and there's something that I've been trying to figure out, what makes the clouds of mist around us form?

I assume it's something like when we heal there is a chance to create one but I haven't found anything that says if that's correct or not, and for that matter what the rate is

Quote Originally Posted by amythist View Post
    so I've been running my monk is primarily WW in Legion but I still use MW as offspec for dungeons and the like and there's something that I've been trying to figure out, what makes the clouds of mist around us form?

I assume it's something like when we heal there is a chance to create one but I haven't found anything that says if that's correct or not, and for that matter what the rate is
    The clouds form 1 every 10 secs as long as you are in combat

Yeah it's pretty confusing the way it is (not) explained in game. I was looking for how they spawn too until I read somewhere that they simply spawn passively in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    The clouds form 1 every 10 secs as long as you are in combat
    thanks, follow up question along the same lines, do they have a duration/cap aka after x minutes they will despawn or once you have x pools no more spawn?

and is there a max range that it will draw them in from? like I assume running from 1 boss to the next any pools I left by that first boss/early trash will be well out of range for when I use the ability at the 2nd boss

Quote Originally Posted by amythist View Post
    thanks, follow up question along the same lines, do they have a duration/cap aka after x minutes they will despawn or once you have x pools no more spawn? and is there a max range that it will draw them in from? like I assume running from 1 boss to the next any pools I left by that first boss/early trash will be well out of range for when I use the ability at the 2nd boss
    It caps out at 12 stacks/clouds after 2 mins.

Not sure exactly how long they last, -- I'm going to leave that to a more knowledgeable monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    It caps out at 12 stacks/clouds after 2 mins.

Not sure exactly how long they last, -- I'm going to leave that to a more knowledgeable monk.
    The clouds around you are just part of the effect of the staff, there is no need to pick them up, they just appear.

The charges on your staff expire after 1 minute out of combat.