Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How melee friendly are the EN bosses?

How melee friendly are those bosses this time around? Are there any certain boss(es) which are impossible due to many melee or are all of them doable regardless the composition of your group?

Considering normal/heroic difficulty only.

Further more will all of the abilities which target none tank players affect melee as well or are the some abilities which don't target melee if there is enough ranged people available?

Having a lot of people in general is really rough on Nythendra. Not sure it's specific to melee, but it makes positioning tough. If you're expecting Kargath 2.0 btw, Nythendra is tuned to be like 20x harder. Nythendra is the fucking gatekeeper on heroic. After her, Ursoc, Il'gynoth and Dragons of Nightmare fall over dead.

Ursoc seemed fine with lots of melee. If anything ranged might have more issues because you need people to soak Roaring Cacophony and the boss has to move out of the puddles, so ranged will have to move. I'm sure there's ways to minimize that, but it's still gonna have to happen eventually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nythendra is the boss actually what I am bit concerned about, specially the placement and "slower reaction" melee who might drop their debuffs in a relatively bad place. I assume it'll get pretty tight on one side of the boss...

How large are the hitboxes of the bosses if anyone knows? Are those big enough that it allows melee to spread out so that some can be closer/under the boss while others at their maximum melee range or are the hitboxes very tiny?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    Nythendra is the boss actually what I am bit concerned about, specially the placement and "slower reaction" melee who might drop their debuffs in a relatively bad place. I assume it'll get pretty tight on one side of the boss...

How large are the hitboxes of the bosses if anyone knows? Are those big enough that it allows melee to spread out so that some can be closer/under the boss while others at their maximum melee range or are the hitboxes very tiny?
    Honestly, if you have slow reacting melee on heroic, you need to sit those melee. Normal is substantially easier than it was in WoD, and heroic is a fair bit harder. At current gear levels, an extra tick or two of rot going on a lot of people is nigh impossible to recover from, and you have to be pre-spread before rot comes out, or you basically wipe instantly. Maybe 14 months of HFC spoiled me, but I swear to god Nythendra is way overtuned for a first boss on heroic. My guild killed it in 15 wipes, which is obviously not bad in the grand scheme of things; but from a personal "don't fucking die" standpoint it felt like mythic Xhul progression all over again.

I guess for me part of it was dealing with the over 20 raid size, (was playing with ~40 FPS when I'm usually above 60) but dodging the bugs in P2 felt quite challenging relative to other mechanics in past raid tiers. Felt like I was playin' Dark Souls. Burst of corruption is basically a two shot at 1.8 million health.

Fyi, there are some differences from beta. There's no tail swipe on any difficulty, but it seemed like they made her damage full retard to compensate.

If you're in a guild that does not plan to kill mythic Xavius before 7.1, for the love of God start on normal and don't even think about heroic until you've got normal down entirely. It's not at all like WoD where the first boss is a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Starting on normal probably anyway. Due to being cross realm not seeing Mythic anyway until new tier is out (or it becomes available cross realm), so one worry down :P. Not having a tail swipe makes spreading easier, I hope and more forgiving. I assume dodging the bugs as melee can cut into their DPS a bit, if they have to move out of melee range to dodge.

What of the other bosses beside Ursoc, like Ilignoth, Renferal or the Dragons?

Illigonth overall on the amount of melee doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. Unless melee will be kiting the blobs around, which cuts into their DPS a bit and in the inside part they have to again probably leave melee range to accommodate the bombs.

I see Renferal being bit of a DPS loss for melee as well, due to the reason they have to move if they various stuff on them.

And I assume Dragons again will gimp melee if they have to move out with their debuffs.

Are any of the boss abilities ranged people (rDPS and healer) only? Or will everyone be influenced by the none tank mechanics?

Deleted
    If anything, Legion seems to be the Meele's Paradise Expansion. Blizzard apparently is only able to force the Players to move during an encounter to ramp up the difficulty, and beside Hunters, Ranges have a hard time with that. So soak it up, you twitted melees.

Agree that the Nythendra was a bit hard. There's so much rot with 28 people in the raid that the wowhead strat doesn't really work. We ended up using about 3/4 to 4/5 of the room to drop rot and the rest as a safe zone during transition. Also one loose stack isn't enough and melee will get absolutely blown up by infested stacks. We separated the raid into two groups on each side of the boss so there's less melee on top of each other.

Elerethe there will be DPS losses more so for melee or ranged who can't cast on the move but it isn't a DPS fight. Her health is very forgiving. We were getting her health down easily before the first transition. Managing the mechanics and more importantly the transition is the most important aspect of the fight.

Unfortunately I ended up being late last night and didn't get into the raid my guild did, but they took about 2 hours to kill Nythendra. Which seemed extreme for a first boss considering we were a late-stage Mythic HFC guild.

I ended up killing it in a pug to get up to speed and it was a struggle. Ended up taking about 3 hours of attempts once I got a non mouthbreather group. The damage numbers on the exploding bugs seem a little insane for the low level of warning you get on them (and the fact that they can "hide" under her wing). Rot damage didn't seem too bad for someone in 851 ilvl, but then again I typically had a defensive ability to deal with it. The crappy thing is that getting the debuff instantly triggers a tick of the damage, so you have to segment the raid to avoid too much unavoidable damage. That seems extremely unfriendly to melee.

We did Nythendra heroic with 27 people, 11 melee.
    It wasn't that tricky, spread the hell out (/range 8 for dmb) and try to have only 2 people max in your range. Run the hell out to marked spots on the left and right side of the boss as soon as you have rot, drop it as close to the wall as you can wall. During phase two dps often would just stop to dodge things. I'm not sure this was the best way. But after we figured out that spreading out was the key (don't rely on beta guides) we downed it in 2 pulls. It was not melee friendly, but it wasn't as unfriendly as eyeball boss.

Nythandria seemed terrible with lots of melee. We were rolling with 28 people and my stacks were at ~15 by the time we got to the intermission phases. We only did Nythandria, ursoc and the eye boss with a couple of pulls on Elerethe.

I was in a 30m raid last night. We cleared normal and it didn't really seem that melee had a huge issue with DPS, they were easily in the top 10 DPS.

As for Nythandria specifically, it took us 2 pulls on heroic and our melee didn't have a problem. Also helps our strat involves just stacking in 2 groups on 1 side of the boss and having people with Rot just run to two different pre staged areas. Makes it easy to aim the breaths as well.

Oh, it should be said that the Nythandria melee issue does not exist on normal. The pulsing aoe damage from rot didn't seem to exist. So I think we can call it a melee friendly boss on normal mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    H Nyth was a bit harder with melees simply because they had to run through people to dump their rot. I'm sure once people become more and more accustomed to mechanic, they'll do it more efficiently, but for now we had a bit too many melees in our raid and we ended up dumping the 3 lowest DPS ones and then killed boss on 1st attempt after having wiped like 7 times.

Melees with insta movement abilities (WW, DH, Warriors) seem to be pretty good as they can get to their dump spots without hitting anyone if they're quick enough. Guessing Rogues will also be good since they can CloS the damage at the end and save healers some mana.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2016-09-21 at 08:36 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    H Nyth was a bit harder with melees simply because they had to run through people to dump their rot. I'm sure once people become more and more accustomed to mechanic, they'll do it more efficiently, but for now we had a bit too many melees in our raid and we ended up dumping the 3 lowest DPS ones and then killed boss on 1st attempt after having wiped like 7 times.

Melees with insta movement abilities (WW, DH, Warriors) seem to be pretty good as they can get to their dump spots without hitting anyone if they're quick enough. Guessing Rogues will also be good since they can CloS the damage at the end and save healers some mana.
    What strat were you guys using? We had 2 stack groups right on the boss and just had people run out when they got Rot. It takes a second to actually pulse so if people are quick it's not a lot of damage.

Like most fights it comes down to how good the tanks are at placing the boss or adds. Then adjusting as poison or whatever bad floor thing there is. When we were doing the dragons fight the tank kept moving from the little trees melee were soaking so ranged could get the further ones, leaving 1 or 2 melee constantly off target. Cenarius some ppl did a poor job kiting the roots so everybody got a little screwed, but when done really poorly melee really takes the biggest bite of the crap sandwich. People waiting too long with the poison on the spider/bird boss killed a few people as well. All and all for it being the first time most saw any of the fights and the fact we zipped through there it wasn't too bad. Come mythic we will really find out though.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post

Honestly we didn't have many issues and we are pretty melee heavy. So long as the dps aren't derping and can move in time to drop rot the area stays pretty clear. And hitboxes are pretty large on all of them. I was able to fel rush and retreat across them while never being out of range. The only ones that are some issue are the adds on fights like cenarius as the dragons hitbox is kind of small

10+ Year Old Account
    Our melee consists of rogues, warriors, DHs, ret, feral, in future a DK as well. Most of them have high mobility though. But none of them seemed to have that much issues moving from stuff.
    Normal seemed a breeze (did 1st 5), I most definitely see some issues for melee creeping up on Renferal and Nythandra heroic due to bad placement of various stuff on the ground. Rest 3 seemed really fine for melee on heroic.
    We had 14 melee, 7 healers, 2 tanks and 7 ranged.
    We'll see tomorrow how does the 2 other bosses go.

10+ Year Old Account
    We completely cleared normal this evening, so from my own personal experience, I'm a bit torn on Emerald Nightmare for being melee friendly. Let me put it this way, for being retribution paladin friendly. So far my experience with Retribution (been playing it since TBC) has been one of the weakest compared to previous expansions and in addition to that, these encounters do little to boost my morale with this specc.

That said, the bosses:

Nythendra was... all in all... not that big of an issue for melee unless you get the Rot. Leaving the raid is simple but having to wait with no DPS against the wall really sucks. The good thing is that Nythendra has a large hitbox so you can still get in some nice damage during the sleeping phase if you pay attention for the bugs.

Il'gyloth... one of my lesser experiences, to be honest. I know that classes like warriors and DKs can go full ham on the blobs with Bladestorm and what-not but for paladins... we're lacking in this department. The amount of add-switching doesn't make it that much better either. I wouldn't consider this a melee friendly boss.

Ursoc, yes. All of the yes. This is by far the most melee friendly boss in the whole area. Mostly because it's a DPS check and you need to do very little moving around unless he uses his Gaze on you for the charge and to deal with the soaking/avoiding of the same ability.

Dragons of Nightmare, I would say is the second best fight for melee. If your tanks do their job well you should not have a lot of downtime fighting any of the dragons and the adds can be quickly switched to, cleaved down and you can focus on the boss again.

Elerethe, absolutely not. I'd list Renferal less melee friendly than Il'gyloth and Nythendra myself. Mostly because of the moving around nearly all the damn time and swapping platforms eats into the DPS very hard.

Cenarius, average. You can have plenty of time to focus on the Forest Lord with reasonable add switching. Doesn't excel for melee but not really melee unfriendly either. A good balance, imo.

Xavius, same as for Cenarius.

This is just my opinion for all encounters as melee.

-Credit to Mythriz for the signature and avatar!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    What strat were you guys using? We had 2 stack groups right on the boss and just had people run out when they got Rot. It takes a second to actually pulse so if people are quick it's not a lot of damage.
    I saw no delay between Rot aplication and the actual damage pulse. There's no grace period - if someone is in range, they take damage, period.

Well, I mean, technically there's like 0.002s difference when checking the logs, but that's pretty much instant anyway. Made it quite annoying with full 30 man raid.