Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How did your raid night go?

My guild decided to start on normal. Despite the server's best efforts, we cleared it and then got 1 pull (43%) on heroic Nythendra before raid time was up. I was tanking on my 851 DH, and thought I'd share my thoughts and observations to see how they match up with everyone else's.

First off, I was really happy with my mobility. It was great for jumping in and out for various mechanics, picking up adds, etc. I was a Blood DK in WoD, and the difference here was night and day. Obviously Blood can still do the mechanics, it was just so much easier and more fun on my DH.

Secondly, I was pretty happy with my AOE damage. The healing it gives is nice too, not only for the healing itself but for drawing threat on an add that didn't get hit by the brunt of it, or took a large single target nuke from a DPS'er for some reason. I'm mainly thinking of accidental egg sack pops on Elerethe here, but there were [probably] other instances too.

One thing that made me nervous was the amount of incoming damage. Even on normal, there were a few instances where I was really relying on my healers even though I had DS up. Maybe that's just the new tanking model in action, I'm not sure. Anecdotally, my Prot Warrior co-tank didn't seem to periodically dip like I did despite being 6 ilvls lower, though I'll have to check the logs later to see if that's what actually happened or just my perception.

Overall, last night left me feeling pretty good about my class choice. How did everyone else fair?

Went 5/7 with a pug before retiring to bed. As a Guardian druid I was enjoying all the fights quite a lot, as it felt like every fight was more tailored towards tanks having things to do rather than DPS, which made the fights fun and engaging rather than an aggro snorefest. Inversely, having relatively few mechanics for the DPS to worry about (on normal anyway) is probably what makes it so tolerable to pug.

We got 5/7 Normal. We had a lovely bug on Nythendra that caused all the trash on the ledge above to pull. Took us a while to figure out what the hell was happening and fix the problem. Then on the Creepy Tree encounter the boss kept resetting.

I had the same issue, either ignore pain is absurdly broken or we need something to make us take less damage. The nightmare horror on il'gyneth (or whatever his name is) in particular. I would use Soul barrier to help counter the first eye beam, and use our Magic shield against the 2nd one and sometimes it still took me down to about 700k (my max non meta is 2.7 mil). On damage taken for the fights I usually took about 20% more damage than the warrior and his absorbs from ignore pain were rating him higher on healing than the healer's. And I'm talking 10 to 15% higher than the healers. And these healers we have been with since wrath of the licht king doing hard and mythic the whole time so it isn't that they are slacking lol.
    Heroes get remembered.... but legends never die!

What is everyones stats yall are running? that is what has me worried than anything

22% haste 33% mastery 10% vers (so 5% dr)

Quote Originally Posted by aikanaro View Post
    I had the same issue, either ignore pain is absurdly broken or we need something to make us take less damage. The nightmare horror on il'gyneth (or whatever his name is) in particular. I would use Soul barrier to help counter the first eye beam, and use our Magic shield against the 2nd one and sometimes it still took me down to about 700k (my max non meta is 2.7 mil). On damage taken for the fights I usually took about 20% more damage than the warrior and his absorbs from ignore pain were rating him higher on healing than the healer's. And I'm talking 10 to 15% higher than the healers. And these healers we have been with since wrath of the licht king doing hard and mythic the whole time so it isn't that they are slacking lol.
    Was taking 3 stacks of eye beam on heroic, and only using 20% magic DR on the 3rd without issue. Yes they hit hard, but it's not like it matters as the rest of the damage the horror doesn't isn't threatening in the least and you should be able to heal yourself back to full long before the next eye beam.

I dont raid till friday i am running 42% mastery 14% vers and 7% haste so have to wait and see

After a quick glance at the logs, I definitely required more outside healing than the Warrior, who also topped or nearly topped the healing meters in a number of the fights. There could be other factors to consider here though, such as me being on adds instead of the boss and time spent actively tanking, which I haven't had a chance to look at. Here's my stats for reference:

Crit: 19.34%
    Haste: 13.76%
    Mastery: 25.41%
    Versatility: 21.48%

idk how nith the world boss ranks with normal raid bosses but i tanked him and hardly took any damage at all

I'm sorry let me restate my post, I wasn't saying that healers were having issues keeping me alive, I was merely stating that in comparison to the warrior, I didnt heal (absorb) even half as much as he did and I definitely took more outside healing and total damage.

I'm sorry let me restate my post, I wasn't saying that healers were having issues keeping me alive, I was merely stating that in comparison to the warrior, I didnt heal (absorb) even half as much as he did and I definitely took more outside healing and total damage.
    this is how i read what you typed maybe others didnt. warriors ignore pain is nuts!

My guild got 6/7 normal, and our token Demon Hunter dashed off a cliff and died 5 seconds into our first Cenarius pull.

That just means the healers are healing you more then they need to. Ignore Pain is absorb and is never going to be OH, a DHs self healing will easily be OHing if you have healers bombing you with heals that you don't need. A DH has far more self healing capacity then ignore pain if you actually need it, and if the healers need to concentrate on something else they easily can and not worry so much about a DH tank.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    this is how i read what you typed maybe others didnt. warriors ignore pain is nuts!
    Ignore Pain might feel a little out of place in the current tank and healing model but it's definitely not even close to Monk in early WoD levels of OP. Tanks as more balanced this xpac then they have ever been IMO. There isn't any early WoD Monk or early MoP Pal shenanigans going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrathor View Post
    After a quick glance at the logs, I definitely required more outside healing than the Warrior, who also topped or nearly topped the healing meters in a number of the fights. There could be other factors to consider here though, such as me being on adds instead of the boss and time spent actively tanking, which I haven't had a chance to look at. Here's my stats for reference:

Crit: 19.34%
    Haste: 13.76%
    Mastery: 25.41%
    Versatility: 21.48%

You seem real high on the versatility I mean like my DH will end up having more parry then you for sure just from my stats from the armory... and Im 844 item lvl

Attributes

Strength 8484
    Agility 20107
    Intellect 4997
    Stamina 42571

Attack

Damage 26363–30272
    Speed 2.38/2.38

Spell

Mana Regen --

Defense

Armor 4316
    Dodge 11.36%
    Parry 11.78%
    Block 0.00%

Enhancements

Crit 35.00%
    Haste 9.47%
    Mastery 35.47%
    Leech 1.34%
    Versatility 5.89%
    Avoidance 0.00%

5/7 norm. Felt very squishy at times. especially in comparison to my war co-tank.

Crit 23.45%
    Haste 8.22%
    Mastery 42.78%
    Leech 1.34%
    Versatility 14.22%

Went 6/7 on normal. Very happy with how the class felt in the encounters, and pulled off top 3 dps in every fight from my guild. Enjoyed the raid itself a ton too, personally I much prefer it to highmaul or blackrock foundry (didn't raid in hellfire citadel).

Got 7/7 Normal 3 in heroic down and almost a 4th. Not a bad night. I messed up a few times fel rushing about clipping things but the overall experience was pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Wattmate View Post
    Got 7/7 Normal 3 in heroic down and almost a 4th. Not a bad night. I messed up a few times fel rushing about clipping things but the overall experience was pleasant.
    Wait, you can do normal and heroic now? Or just playing alt?

You can do both separate raid lockouts, technically you could do them over and over same week but get loot just once per difficulty. Mythic is locked like the old school people are used to.