Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    Yeah, I know. But my Point is, they would never need a Guardian and stuff if the Elves had teached them proberly right from the beginning and if they had showed them the methods to hide their magic, like they used for themselves- And asking the humans to give up magic completely is absolute hyprocritical, considering that the Elves destroyed half of the world and didn't wanted to stop with their magic.
    There's no way to "teach them properly," the usage of Arcane magic always carries the risk of alerting the Burning Legion. There are a variety of ways to mitigate this risk - the Council of Tirisfal and the Guardian were the Human solution whereas the Runestones were the High Elvish one. The Runestones may not have been something that the High Elves could simply replicate for the Human Magi.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    You can't deny, Humans acted by far more responsible than the High Elves when they met the burning Legion the first time.
    What? This doesn't even make sense. The High Elves lived in a kingdom that was sealed off from detection from the Burning Legion. How more responsible could they have gotten? And they had to swoop in a save the situation when they heard about what was going on with the reckless casting by human mages in Dalaran.

All I can do is assume you meant to type "Highborne" there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    What? This doesn't even make sense. The High Elves lived in a kingdom that was sealed off from detection from the Burning Legion. How more responsible could they have gotten? And they had to swoop in a save the situation when they heard about what was going on with the reckless casting by human mages in Dalaran.

you seems to have forgotten that the Humans are the Superb race
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

Deleted
    Yeah, I know. But my Point is, they would never need a Guardian and stuff if the Elves had teached them proberly right from the beginning and if they had showed them the methods to hide their magic, like they used for themselves- And asking the humans to give up magic completely is absolute hyprocritical, considering that the Elves destroyed half of the world and didn't wanted to stop with their magic.
    The problem was that the humans were more intuitive and imaginative with magic then the high elves. The giant pillar of fire death was something the quel'dorei never imagined it was possible.

It's hard to teach about something that you don't even it's possible in the first place.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2016-09-21 at 08:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    The problem was that the humans were more intuitive and imaginative with magic then the high elves. The giant pillar of fire death was something the quel'dorei never imagined it was possible.

It's hard to teach about something that you don't even it's possible in the first place.
    The Elves always seem to measure Arcane might on a purely personal basis - spells known, feats managed, or the basic power of one's workings. It took the Humans to pool their powers in a choral type of effort - probably underlining the major difference between how the two races think.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The Elves always seem to measure Arcane might on a purely personal basis - spells known, feats managed, or the basic power of one's workings. It took the Humans to pool their powers in a choral type of effort - probably underlining the major difference between how the two races think.
    The elves did work together in the past but not on this scale usually a dozen or so cooperating, not a hundred channeling a single spell, the chances that this could backfire are enormous if even one of them screws up.

Deleted
    It's the underline arrogance behind every single elf.

was a human sorcerer who brought the legion to azetroth in the third war.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    was a human sorcerer who brought the legion to azetroth in the third war.
    An outcast from Dalaran that basically wrote the book of undead and nihilism (he never cared about the Legion).

Deleted
    There's no way to "teach them properly," the usage of Arcane magic always carries the risk of alerting the Burning Legion. There are a variety of ways to mitigate this risk - the Council of Tirisfal and the Guardian were the Human solution whereas the Runestones were the High Elvish one. The Runestones may not have been something that the High Elves could simply replicate for the Human Magi.
    Or we can just destroy the Burning Legion

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    An outcast from Dalaran that basically wrote the book of undead and nihilism (he never cared about the Legion).
    the leader of a cult that infiltrated in all lordaeron

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Diannak View Post
    Or we can just destroy the Burning Legion
    That would do it, yes. But I don't that particular mitigation strategy was in the power of either the High Elves or the Kingdom of Arathor. Though recent information has begun to make me doubt the "all powerful" part we often think of Sargeras.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elf gasm yay!

I never understood why they ignored elves for so many years - oldest highly organized culture on Azeroth, so damn much history they could delve into. All my toons are elves except my paladin, and if my paladin could be a night elf, she would be.

Finally story that isn't about the orcs. We waited 12 years!

Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    Elf gasm yay!

I never understood why they ignored elves for so many years - oldest highly organized culture on Azeroth, so damn much history they could delve into. All my toons are elves except my paladin, and if my paladin could be a night elf, she would be.

Finally story that isn't about the orcs. We waited 12 years!
    and extremely popular, you're not the only ones, a bunch of us wondered - why the in absentia in Night elf lore? why do so little with one of the most popular wow groups. Ofc, many concluded it was to build horde lore, and being in the alliance, well, you couldn't have two big shots and do the horde well, so humans just dominated Alliance narrative while they built up the horde, what this meant was that night elves got nothing except neutral stuff very nearl all of which was druidic - any more would have needed an expansion focus if you wanted to do it justice, and that didn't happen till now... and ofc, when you focus on night elves you're going to touch ALL elves - whereas the opposite isn't necessarily treu for high/blood elves, as they were already established in game with the humans and orcs before their origin story, the Nelves came along. So blizzard could sustain BElf/HElf lore without dealing with NElves, and they did, NElf/BElf interaction has been few and far between, a few humiliations of NElves by BElves, and the odd exachange,

However when dealing with NElf lore,e specially if you're going back to the War of the Ancients, you're going to affect all elves.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2016-09-22 at 01:30 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post

Because look at the first contact with the Legion:

Humans: "Hey, High Elves, could you help us? There are this nasty creatures that start so spreat after we used a little too much magic. And yeah, they seem to be pretty evil and we don't like it, so how can we handle this situation best? Because really, they try to lead us into some sinister deals all the time and it's really annoying."
    Elves: "All hail Sargeras, our new God!"

Humans: "Hey, High Elves, could you help us? There are this nasty creatures that start so spreat after we used a little too much magic. And yeah, they seem to be pretty evil and we don't like it, so how can we handle this situation best? Because really, they try to lead us into some sinister deals all the time and it's really annoying."
    I remember it was a human who brought the horde and was possessed by sargeras

I also remember that first council trisfal was full of high elves and the first guardian was a half elf

Ethylar, Aertin Brighthand, Rohar
    Last edited by Rhlor; 2016-09-22 at 06:05 AM.

They were entirely differently contacted, Sargeras contacted them himself, and lured them with promises of power, just like he did with the eredar. The legion didn't bother to offer anything similar to the humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    I apologize for the slight off-topic I'm going to cause but this will not take long.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wind View Post
    I am. I simply want an example. Such as " Grom's strength was immense" or "Grom's strength was cut in half after the battle" in which the word "strength" is referring to someone's army.
    I'm just providing to this guy the example he wanted:

Vol’jin could not help smiling as day surrendered to dusk and long shadows pointed toward dawn. Toward the Zandalari. His group’s traps and attacks had not killed nearly as many of Khal’ak’s forces as he desired, but she had been moved to acts of desperation because of them. She’d flung two companies wide, diluting her strength, and bulled on through a number of attacks. By the time they reached the monastery, they’d be angry, frustrated, and weary—three things no general likes in his soldiers.
    Shadows of the Horde, pg. 144

It's an expression used in multiple contexts so is no goddamn surprise to find examples of this in Warcraft as well.

Now, given what you just read, read your beloved quote again and tell me if its wording is in any way different from what I just quoted.

Honestly, since the obvious answer is "no", I think we could just move on and let this thread stay on topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    I'll refresh your memory if you forgot:
    I went through that thread a bit and damn, what an adventure. Especially post #113. So spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

You can't deny, Humans acted by far more responsible than the High Elves when they met the burning Legion the first time.
    After the elves brought demons, they put up runestones around Quel'thalas that prevented their magic from being detected by the Legion, and so the Legion never realized Azeroth was still around.

After the humans brought demons, they made a bandaid solution with the Guardian, trusting in their own prideful arrogance that they could handle whatever demons came along.

The elves basically put a sign by a cliff edge that says "Don't go near the cliff edge, you'll fall."

The humans parked an ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, saying "Oh, it's okay, this way, if people fall and get seriously injured, they'll get medical attention right away and be fine!"

The humans' solution was not at all a preventative measure. The Elves' was. The high elves fixed their leaky pipes, while the Kirin Tor just put a tiny bucket underneath to catch the water drips, not big enough to hold the drips for long.

And Aegwynn was arrogant enough to think she defeated Sargeras, and told the Council of Tirisfal to go to hell rather than give up her powers for the next Guardian, resulting in Medivh causing all sorts of catastrophic events.

At some point, the humans must be held accountable for their flagrant abuse of magic with no mind for the repercussions of their actions.

The Elves didn't take such extreme measures to control the humans, because Strom was already keeping them on a tight leash. They couldn't have known that the humans would go out on their own to do all the magic they pleased. Basically, they trusted the humans to exercise some form of caution and adhere to their own laws. Instead, the humans left and made up new laws that let them do whatever they wanted.