Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

what does this even mean?

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ne...tle-net-update

blizzard was claiming they want to remove confusion?
    there was no confusion to begin with battlenet was the multiplayer account for warcraft 3 which i suggested they use that for all their games

they just created confusion by posting a vague thing that doesn't explain wtf they are even doing
    are they renaming battlenet?
    are they changing the program interface?
    are they converting it into some steam/origin type of store?

it's so vague that this happened

-Proffesional Necromancer-

10+ Year Old Account
    Its just going to be renamed, basically. They didn't want it to be its own stand-alone type thing anymore, instead of playing your games through Battle.net, you'll just play a Blizzard game online.

15+ Year Old Account
    You'll use the Blizzard launcher instead of the Battle.Net launcher. That's all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skannerz22 View Post
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ne...tle-net-update
    they just created confusion by posting a vague thing that doesn't explain wtf they are even doing
    are they renaming battlenet?
    are they changing the program interface?
    are they converting it into some steam/origin type of store?

it's so vague that this happened

Did you even read the post? It clearly says:

"...Battle.net technology will continue to serve as the central nervous system for Blizzard games—nothing is changing in that regard. We'll just be referring to our various products and services using the Blizzard name instead. "

7+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like they just want to reinforce their services with the Blizzard name as opposed to Battle.net.

Probably because they have that new voice chat functionality coming out soon and would prefer to call it "Blizzard voice-chat," or something like that as opposed to "Battlenet chat." Just my speculation.

Minor stuff.

For players who aren't familiar with Blizzard's past or its line of products, having to install a "Battle.net" App sounds like you are being asked to rely on a 3rd party service. Renaming the service to something like "Blizzard Portal" (for example) helps reinforce that it is a Blizzard product.

Another potential issue is trademark and branding. "Battle" is a very vague word, and it would be difficult for Blizzard to protect "Battle.net" in courts. SciFi chose to rebrand itself as SyFy (in part) for similar reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piwoot View Post
    Did you even read the post? It clearly says:

"...Battle.net technology will continue to serve as the central nervous system for Blizzard games—nothing is changing in that regard. We'll just be referring to our various products and services using the Blizzard name instead. "
    i obviously read it but my brain didn't see that part
    it's called discrimination when you point out my adhd

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    For players who aren't familiar with Blizzard's past or its line of products, having to install a "Battle.net" App sounds like you are being asked to rely on a 3rd party service. Renaming the service to something like "Blizzard Portal" (for example) helps reinforce that it is a Blizzard product.

Another potential issue is trademark and branding. "Battle" is a very vague word, and it would be difficult for Blizzard to protect "Battle.net" in courts. SciFi chose to rebrand itself as SyFy (in part) for similar reasons.
    um how would it be hard lol?
    it's been part of warcraft 3 since forever it has never changed due to any legal dispute
    Last edited by skannerz22; 2016-09-22 at 01:44 AM.
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

Amazing they came out with this news today. I was just thinking recently, how the name "battle.net" is pretty archaic now, and kind of useless.

Battle.net began back when dedicated multiplayer services were a thing. You had things like Heat.net, Mplayer, TEN, Gamespy, etc. Calling it Battle.net was a way to brand their own service when multiplayer middleware was commonly separate from the actual games. Those days are long since over.
    Beta Club Brosquad

- - - Updated - - -

it's been part of warcraft 3 since forever it has never changed due to any legal dispute
    Actually Battle.net first came out with Diablo back in 1996. Starcraft expanded on it with proper multiplayer features more when that came out

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Battle.net began back when dedicated multiplayer services were a thing. You had things like Heat.net, Mplayer, TEN, Gamespy, etc. Calling it Battle.net was a way to brand their own service when multiplayer middleware was commonly separate from the actual games. Those days are long since over.
    Jesus Heat.net. Wasn't that made by Sega?

it's been part of warcraft 3 since forever...
    That's the second time you referenced battle.net in with Warcraft 3. Battle.net is at least 7 years older than Warcraft 3.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it isn't. Don't get mad because you didn't read carefully and then misunderstood what you didn't read carefully.
    Beta Club Brosquad

I really don't understand this change. Battle.net is a well established brand name and existing players are going to keep calling it that for years to come. Meanwhile new players are going to be confused when their friends tell them to install the battle.net launcher and they can't find it anywhere.
    It's like if Valve suddenly decided to rename Steam because the name doesn't contain "Valve" in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Actually Battle.net first came out with Diablo back in 1996. Starcraft expanded on it with proper multiplayer features more when that came out

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus Heat.net. Wasn't that made by Sega?
    I think Sega bought Heat.net at some point.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Deleted
    Had it on my mind for a while that Battlenet is sort of a strange way to identify 'Blizzard games'. Glad they're finally making the switch. It's a smarter branding option.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    I think Sega bought Heat.net at some point.
    One I remember best is gamespy since we used to play Halo a lot as kids on our school network

Deleted
    sounds like they are discontinuing the battle.net name, and will just beusing the name blizzard for their services now. so instead of the battle.net launcher, it will now be the blizzard launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown User View Post
    I really don't understand this change. Battle.net is a well established brand name and existing players are going to keep calling it that for years to come. Meanwhile new players are going to be confused when their friends tell them to install the battle.net launcher and they can't find it anywhere.
    It's like if Valve suddenly decided to rename Steam because the name doesn't contain "Valve" in it.
    I think you're vastly overstating the difficulty of adapting from calling it the Battle.net launcher to the Blizzard launcher.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    Sounds like they just want to reinforce their services with the Blizzard name as opposed to Battle.net.

Probably because they have that new voice chat functionality coming out soon and would prefer to call it "Blizzard voice-chat," or something like that as opposed to "Battlenet chat." Just my speculation.

Minor stuff.
    yeah thats basically what it says, its silly having somethings called blizzard tech, and others called battle.net, so like the recently released blizzard streaming and voice chat, but still have a battlenet launcher and stuff, they are just moving it all to a common name

Lots of Blizzard Employees jumping ship..Blizzard remaining Battle.net to Sky.net..

Related?