Deleted
    Dude you must be a troll cause calling thief people like me who pays all the fucking content since 2005 is retarded. That's all.

I'm violating the TOS if i play the retail version in a private server, not a version that no longer exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aehl View Post
    That justifies software piracy and IP theft?

REALLY?

- - - Updated - - -

So you go to an illegal server engaged in software piracy. Yeah...thats a reasonable stance.

No it isnt.

Yet you violated their terms of service by playing on an illegal server. Blzzard has every right to permban you. They may never do that..but of they did you have zero recourse. You dont own your account. You dont own your toons. You have a LICENSE to play and that can be revoked at any time.
    Booohoo, bad me! Criminal thief playing on a private version of a game from 2004. Call the cops!

Be honest tho, what is your solution for people wanting to play Vanilla? Can you come up with anything? You obviously don't want blizzard to make a legacy server, and you condemn us big bad criminals being thieves playing on private servers. What is your solution for people who wants to play on Vanilla servers?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacRR View Post
    Dude you must be a troll cause calling thief people like me who pays all the fucking content since 2005 is retarded. That's all.

I'm violating the TOS if i play the retail version in a private server, not a version that no longer exist.
    How dare you enjoy the older versions of the game? You should be in prison next to the murderers you thief!
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Gee haven't been in here for a while. Still the same shit
    *popcorn*

Quote Originally Posted by Aehl View Post
    Yeah suuuure they would. They didnt pay with the illegsl serrver now..did they? So why would they pay now?

Credibility. They have none.
    The problem with your argument is that many "good" private servers simply WILL NOT accept donations. They even say not to send any, they won't accept them. They will return any received.

Private Servers will will not accept any form of payment because that would actually be illegal on their part. Think I'm joking? If they accepted payment crossing borders that involves taxes and a huge lawsuit. Free is where they WANT to be, to continue operation.

So insinuating that everyone who plays, wants to play for free, is a misnomer, as far as I'm concerned.

People who play Vanilla, do so on a Private server, because there is not an alternative. Saying they don't pay is asinine, because "good" servers won't accept payments anyways.

If Blizzard announced an official server I WOULD PAY FOR THAT, YESTERDAY. Just sayin'.

7+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard did nothing wrong. They closed Real problem in wow community. All the kids, noobs and THIEFS Rekt

Deleted
    Don't get me wrong, what Blizzard did is TOTALLY OK, they have to close Nostalrius. But a person here call me a thief cause i play on it, even if i been playing retail since February 2005 NON STOP, paying 15$ every month and 40$ for every new expansion.

I don't want to be call a thief cause i'm not stealing NOTHING, i'm a NOT a fucking thief. That's ALL.
    @HordeFanboy: How is Nostalrius a problem for today retail community? Majority of people playing it doesn't play retail no more, so...

BTW, i am no kid, maybe i am kind of a noob, but definetly i'm not a THIEF.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacRR View Post
    Don't get me wrong, what Blizzard did is TOTALLY OK, they have to close Nostalrius. But a person here call me a thief cause i play on it, even if i been playing retail since February 2005 NON STOP, paying 15$ every month and 40$ for every new expansion.

I don't want to be call a thief cause i'm not stealing NOTHING, i'm a NOT a fucking thief. That's ALL.
    @HordeFanboy: How is Nostalrius a problem for today retail community? Majority of people playing it doesn't play retail no more, so...

BTW, i am no kid, maybe i am kind of a noob, but definetly i'm not a THIEF.

Maybe its not a theft in a regular sense, but you're still engaged in illegal activity - is criminal more to your liking?

Also... just because someone doesn't offer a product to you, it isn't justified to just steal it. The queen of england never offered me to buy the crown jewels, though i would pay for them. Doesn't make stealing them right.

So... you're a thief...

Deleted
    You wrong.

I can go and STEAL the jewell crowns of the queen cause THEY EXIST, i can go and buy the jewells to the queen if she offer the jewels to buy, go and buy it. But i can't steal WoW Vanilla cause no longer exist and Blizzard don't offer the game no more so is a product that no longer exist.

And again, i'm not doing nothing ilegal. Is ilegal to RUN a private server, not to PLAY on a private server. That's what people here don't get it.
    Last edited by mmocb8e5fd8d57; 2016-09-22 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Maybe its not a theft in a regular sense, but you're still engaged in illegal activity - is criminal more to your liking?

Also... just because someone doesn't offer a product to you, it isn't justified to just steal it. The queen of england never offered me to buy the crown jewels, though i would pay for them. Doesn't make stealing them right.

So... you're a thief...
    It is literally 0% illegal to play on a private server. Even downloading the old client via torrent is totally legal. Only uploading it (being the distributor) is illegal.

It's fucking absurd people still don't understand piracy law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never said playing on it is illegal, only that you're engaged in an illegal activity - something the actual owners of the product don't want you to do with what they created. it may not be unlawful to play*, but i question the morality.

But my point stands: You're part of an illegal activity.

*Actually, in my country it could very well be counted as illegal activity, with a minimum sentence of 2 years (being part of a criminal group)

Never said playing on it is illegal, only that you're engaged in an illegal activity - something the actual owners of the product don't want you to do with what they created. it may not be unlawful to play*, but i question the morality.

But my point stands: You're part of an illegal activity.

*Actually, in my country it could very well be counted as illegal activity, with a minimum sentence of 2 years (being part of a criminal group)
    You aren't though. You REALLY fucking aren't if you're just playing.

If you're playing and selling accounts, THEN you are. If you're literally just a player then you aren't involved in anything illegal whatsoever.

The only people doing anything illegal are the handful of people paying for and maintaining the server. All players are 100% disassociated and 100% in the clear.

Deleted
    Well in my country people go to jail for stealing some food to give them to their kids cause they have not money and have hungry, but fucking politicians corrupted motherfuckers are doing vacations even when they are in judge court, a banker destroy one of the big ones and nothing happens to him, etc...welcome to Spain!

So imagine how i feel when people call me thief cause i play Nostalrius. Just figure that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    You aren't though. You REALLY fucking aren't if you're just playing.

If you're playing and selling accounts, THEN you are. If you're literally just a player then you aren't involved in anything illegal whatsoever.

The only people doing anything illegal are the handful of people paying for and maintaining the server. All players are 100% disassociated and 100% in the clear.
    Depends on the laws. As i said, in my country there is a law that was originally designed to get rid of organized crime. Basically - beeing a member of a criminal organization is a criminal violation in itself. Now of course it is targeted at the mafia, but our federal prosecutors already used it to convict members of an animal rights group - just because they're members.

Just sayin... there are countries where even playing on a private server could be illegal.

Nevertheless, you're using property of blizzard they don't want you to use. So in my moral compass, you're a thief.

Deleted
    But that thing should be applied to products that Blizzard offer to the consumers, not product that no longer exist. Is like if Nintendo rape my ass cause i play Majora's Mask even if they don't offer no longer. Is dumb as shit.

Depends on the laws. As i said, in my country there is a law that was originally designed to get rid of organized crime. Basically - beeing a member of a criminal organization is a criminal violation in itself. Now of course it is targeted at the mafia, but our federal prosecutors already used it to convict members of an animal rights group - just because they're members.

Just sayin... there are countries where even playing on a private server could be illegal.

Nevertheless, you're using property of blizzard they don't want you to use. So in my moral compass, you're a thief.
    Playing on a private server does not make anyone a member of a criminal organisation.

I really don't know why the legality of private servers has been brought up again, Nost closed down several months and Blizzard seem happy with the outcome. This thread has long since moved on from that subject (as there is no debate as to whether private servers are a breach of copyright) and for the most part has spent the last few months discussing the virtues of a Blizzard run legacy service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Playing on a private server does not make anyone a member of a criminal organisation.
    While i do agree that it shouldn't be this way, at least in my country there is this law that could very well (and has been) defined that way. Regardless to say there has been a lot of critique from lawyers/NGO/judges because it is so unspecific, but i just had to add it, because there may be places on this planet where it could very well lead to problems.

I am playing on a private server as we speak. My friends and I just met up at the xroads to do some questing. The realm is full. The world is alive. People everywhere. The quests are immersive and fun. People helping each other, people pvping, people trading and people supporting the community. The starting zones were packed. I got three friends involved who knew nothing of Nost or private servers as of 1 week ago. They played in Vanilla and as far up as through Legion (myself) and MoP one other. We all agree that this is a world and this is how it should be.

Current wow has no players in the world outside of who is not phased in Legion. The world feels empty. The quests and goals are not immersive. You can level to 110 in hours from 0. The quests have almost no chance of death. The world is dead as well as the game. Private servers are reportedly full for a game that is hard to get connected to. People are not as willing to spend time on a game that can get shut down yet the servers are at max capacity. Blizz has two options. Continue to deny Legacy servers and exclusively support Legion. This option denies many people who do not play Vanilla but want to, as well as fails to legitimize vanilla servers. It also is lost revenue and income for Blizz. That said, this is the most likely outcome.

Or, they can give in and let Legacy servers be made. Then Blizz would be admitting that their current game is garbage. That would be a hard pill to swallow. Especially since Legion had massive amount of promotion heading into it, including creating the DH class (which was held off to save the game), and a movie. That said, I have heard some rumors that massive unsubs are already beginning. I think it is possible that they do announce that legacy servers are not in the works, but will be.

Either way, with the blowback from Nost they will likely not be trying to shut down any more private servers anytime soon. Those playing on a private servers are seeing what an actual mmo rpg looks like and loving it. My class feels so dynamic and the abilities I am getting take so much thought and make such a well rounded game. While in legion everyone felt effectively the same, with a different spell animation and a barely different effect.

Long live legacy servers.

While i do agree that it shouldn't be this way, at least in my country there is this law that could very well (and has been) defined that way. Regardless to say there has been a lot of critique from lawyers/NGO/judges because it is so unspecific, but i just had to add it, because there may be places on this planet where it could very well lead to problems.
    I don't know what country you are from but I highly doubt there is anyway that the players on a private server could possibly be considered members of a criminal organisation. I suggest that it is your understanding of this law and how it applies that is the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sabever View Post
    Or, they can give in and let Legacy servers be made. Then Blizz would be admitting that their current game is garbage. That would be a hard pill to swallow. Especially since Legion had massive amount of promotion heading into it, including creating the DH class (which was held off to save the game), and a movie. That said, I have heard some rumors that massive unsubs are already beginning. I think it is possible that they do announce that legacy servers are not in the works, but will be.
    A Blizzard backed Legacy service is no-way an admission that the current game is garbage. If Blizzard did introduce a legacy service then there is little reason why it and the current retail version could not co-exist.

It is this kind of inflammatory rhetoric that attracts the anti-Legacy and is partly why this thread keeps going around in circles.

A Blizzard backed Legacy service is no-way an admission that the current game is garbage. If Blizzard did introduce a legacy service then there is little reason why it and the current retail version could not co-exist.

It is this kind of inflammatory rhetoric that attracts the anti-Legacy and is partly why this thread keeps going around in circles.
    It is because of the way Blizzard has treated it. J Allen Brack's statements about Legacy servers served to start the battle and put Blizzard on the defensive. Even Brack's "pristine server" posts seem to acknowledge that they could break some convenience items but going back to legacy was not what they were throwing around? Why? Part of it was ease but the other part was pride. You think you do, but you don't says it all. The pompousness of a statement like that just suggest that there is so much ego involved in the development cycles. The pill that they swallowed by bringing in Kern and Nost was tough enough.

Deleted
    I don't think that making Legacy Servers is admitting that current game is garbage, cause they are two different games. Is like...i don't know, if we are playing...Gears of War 4, and Microsoft decide to put on the market Gears of War 1 at the same time. Just an example XD

Legacy and Retail can coexist cause they are two different games and community's, for Blizzard is like making a "new game" cause is gonna attract a different target of players.
    @Pannonian: Is see you are from Vienna, so you are from Austria. I don't think that the law in Austria say that playing in a private server is be a part of a criminal organison. Maybe i'm wrong, but i don't think the law in Austria is different to the Germany or Holland laws in that matter.