Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    if you want i can start talking about how much i hate pedophiles.
    There's not much to talk about as we seem to agree on that subject, also it is off-topic for the thread. Even more so than discussion of draenei and blood elves.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    if you listen to anyone because they feel "alpha" to you, you're a pathetic loser.
    I don't know what you mean by "feel alpha", but for some people it might be that the person they listen to feels like a confident person. And if you aren't as confident in yourself in a certain area it might be smart to listen to the one that "feels alpha". And that certainly doesn't make you a pathetic loser.

In my experience, people who try to excuse shitty behavior by claiming to just be "alpha" personalities and anyone complaining about it as "whiny betas" are just shitlords looking for an excuse to be shitheads. You don't have to be a fucking shit weasel of an asshole to possess confidence and be a leader-type that the women all go for.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always am reminded that those that tout the word "alpha/beta" are the same ones who have adopted the newer word "cuck" as their mating call . Also it's often used in circles that frequent 4chan a lot.

As for the original articles, seems like they are confusing charismatic with alpha.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    I've never really met any, just douches trying to overcompensate by being mean, loud and obnoxious to everyone (especially women).
    Careful, if you keep on spouting stuff like that you might be mistaken for a betacucklordbot9000 .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    I've never really met any, just douches trying to overcompensate by being mean, loud and obnoxious to everyone (especially women).
    The irony being you are one of the biggest trolls/abusive people on this board constantly being obnoxious and rude/mean.. your post history is a living archive of this..
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

Hmm, reading that, I would probably label myself as a psychopath.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

I think the concept of alpha males really illustrates why free speech is so important in our society. On some level, the alpha/beta distinction did exist if only because most people just took it for granted that some people were born leaders and others followers, and subconsciously molded their own behavior to fit the paradigm of how they "should" behave. But ever since overcompensating shitlords seized on the concept and start shouting about it on the internet every time they didn't get exactly what they want, people have actually put time and effort investigating, challenging, and ultimately debunking the alpha/beta dichotomy and as a result we are starting to develop a healthier understanding of masculinity in a modern context. And none of this would have ever happened just on its own, it's far too sensitive a subject for most people to discuss openly, it was only when edgy douchebros on the internet started talking about it that we really started to think seriously about it. So I say let the idiots do their worst, at the end of the day the truth will emerge and we'll all be better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    I think the concept of alpha males really illustrates why free speech is so important in our society. On some level, the alpha/beta distinction did exist if only because most people just took it for granted that some people were born leaders and others followers, and subconsciously molded their own behavior to fit the paradigm of how they "should" behave. But ever since overcompensating shitlords seized on the concept and start shouting about it on the internet every time they didn't get exactly what they want, people have actually put time and effort investigating, challenging, and ultimately debunking the alpha/beta dichotomy and as a result we are starting to develop a healthier understanding of masculinity in a modern context. And none of this would have ever happened just on its own, it's far too sensitive a subject for most people to discuss openly, it was only when edgy douchebros on the internet started talking about it that we really started to think seriously about it. So I say let the idiots do their worst, at the end of the day the truth will emerge and we'll all be better for it.
    I have never heard a mention of alpha/beta outside the internet. And it doesn't seem to be a huge topic on other forums either outside MMO-C, so I doubt this will change anyones behavior irl, and I doubt the alpha/beta stuff affected anyone that strongly either.

And Im not even sure why the alpha talk are taken so serious people are researching it and why it spawns so many threads on mmo-c.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman
    I addressed it.

There are different types of leadership styles everywhere you look. I haven't seen the clear defining characteristics in every single company, team, or group.
    You addressed leadership styles, which is certainly part of what I'm asking for input on, but I don't see it as addressing actual, write it up as science, literal psychos. As shown in that last part of the OP, we're looking at the kind of stuff that shows up on brain scans rather than just calling someone a psycho.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista
    I don't think "alphas" = "sociopaths" for the most part, although the definition of "alpha" varies a lot in common usage.
    I'm looking at the wolves in sheep's clothing, real find it in a brain scan psychos who can pass off their antics as being just part of the current jargon of dominance (call it Alpha, Type A or whatever).

From the Wharton article you linked:
    Oftentimes givers put themselves at risk in the short run. But in the long run, they end up building the kind of social capital that’s really important for success in a very connected world.
    Valid as far as it goes, although I will note that things like Enron now have every business program giving lip service to ethics too.

Compare the Wharton comment, with an emphasis on long term gain with language I quoted in the first post:

Part of the reason why an increasing number of psychopaths have been drawn into leadership positions in the corporate world is its shift to “short termism.” Organizations and indeed entire countries have increasingly focused on shorter-term results for shareholders/stakeholders, and a utilitarian view of doing whatever it takes to get succeed, no matter the cost to people and the environment.
    Psychopaths are successful in the short term, before their antics catch up to them. Unfortunately, in the current business environment it is easy for them to keep switching jobs and even to play that as a mark of success.

Now, the brain scan is a very limited example, and the article notes that attempts to define psychopathy rapidly run into problems defining the particular traits involved. Still, if we are seeing those traits appear in 3 times or more the rate in the general population, that seems like something of a serious issue.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

OP have you ever felt the weight of a barbell a day in your entire life?

Deleted
    Heterosexual problems

infracted - minor spam
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-09-22 at 04:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LT214Life
    OP have you ever felt the weight of a barbell a day in your entire life?
    I'm a 13 year old girl, why would I care? Nice sock.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow
    Heterosexual problems
    Got shot down on the dating apps again and needed to remind everyone?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    there's no such thing as an alpha and there never will be. the only reason you listen to your boss is because they will fire you if you don't, and you need money to live. if you listen to anyone because they feel "alpha" to you, you're a pathetic loser.
    /thread in my opinion.

Additionally, even though my boss has the ability to fire me, I still challenge him when I disagree. But I don't claim to be an 'alpha', i'm just not a coward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Assbandit View Post
    I always am reminded that those that tout the word "alpha/beta" are the same ones who have adopted the newer word "cuck" as their mating call . Also it's often used in circles that frequent 4chan a lot.

As for the original articles, seems like they are confusing charismatic with alpha.
    Gotta admit, I find the term cuck to be extremely offensive to me. Sadly I don't think 1/2 those who use it, truly know what it means. Some just use it synonymously with someone being weak. But it's real meaning is quite different.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post

No but I find it amusing the whole alpha/beta obsession seems exclusive to online heterosexuals... Insecurity perhaps

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    /thread in my opinion.

Additionally, even though my boss has the ability to fire me, I still challenge him when I disagree. But I don't claim to be an 'alpha', i'm just not a coward.

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta admit, I find the term cuck to be extremely offensive to me. Sadly I don't think 1/2 those who use it, truly know what it means. Some just use it synonymously with someone being weak. But it's real meaning is quite different.
    Are you into watching your partner get fucked by somebody else? I dated somebody that was into that but never realized it had a name

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    No but I find it amusing the whole alpha/beta obsession seems exclusive to online heterosexuals... Insecurity perhaps
    Us vs Them. It never ever ends.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Are you into watching your partner get fucked by somebody else? I dated somebody that was into that but never realized it had a name
    I am certainly not into that at all. Which is why I find it so offensive.

Late into this thread...

I recall reading something a number of years ago. It was a study of behavior habits of successful business people (CEOs, entrepreneurs, etc.) vs certain kinds of criminals (game members, organized crime, serial killers).

The conclusion was that leaders of criminal groups (gangs, mafia, etc) display the same characteristics as do CEOs. It went further to say that socio-economic background is the tipping point in determining which direction they go. It also found that serial killers are just batshit crazy, duh.

Anyway, on with day.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post

The patriarchy might scare you little rabbit but calling me a sock is immature. I have contacted the moderation team and your account will be investigated for online bullying/harassment. Have fun sleeping at night you degenerate.

infracted - trolling
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-09-22 at 05:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LT214life View Post
    The patriarchy might scare you little rabbit but calling me a sock is immature. I have contacted the moderation team and your account will be investigated for online bullying/harassment. Have fun sleeping at night you degenerate.
    Sure you have, mate, sure you have... I suppose this burner account is the result of that interaction?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Calling someone a sock is an insult? Am I really getting that old?