Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I've said this before: It's really disturbing to me that MMO gamers like to equate "grinding" to getting better at something like this. You're raising numbers on a character stored in a database, you're not bettering yourself somehow or improving some skills of your own. Don't delude yourself into thinking they're equivalent.

Know what disturbs me? An Internet tough guy that has to put down what others like to make himself feel better about himself in real life. That is pretty sad if you ask me. To come to a site dedicated to a mmo and then spend ones time ripping on people at said site. How pathetic is that persons life?

Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    Know what disturbs me? An Internet tough guy that has to put down what others like to make himself feel better about himself in real life. That is pretty sad if you ask me. To come to a site dedicated to a mmo and then spend ones time ripping on people at said site. How pathetic is that persons life?
    Hello pot talking to kettle.

"And they'll defend it fiercely"

Yep.

Look how quickly you became upset and personal about a simple topic of game design.
    Who said I was talking about you? Did I use your name anywhere in there? Must of seen some semblence of yourself in there then? Gee I wonder why?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    Hello pot talking to kettle.
    I wasn't the person ripping on the whole mmo player base was I?

Because it is content.

Content isn't a synonym for "things I enjoy."

Any gameplay is content regardless of what that gameplay is.

You're falling into the trap of self importance where you only consider things you enjoy to be valid forms of those things. It's like people who think the genre of music they enjoy is the only real type of music.
    Last edited by Mhorrg; 2016-09-22 at 04:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    After 12 years, why do people still not understand the mechanics of how an MMO-RPG works?
    Wish i could upvote this comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

I've said this before: It's really disturbing to me that MMO gamers like to equate "grinding" to getting better at something like this. You're raising numbers on a character stored in a database, you're not bettering yourself somehow or improving some skills of your own. Don't delude yourself into thinking they're equivalent.
    It disturbs me that you think your interest in progressing your skill in a fantasy world is any more important than my interest in progressing my character in a fantasy world. Both are equally meaningless in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemyhlol View Post
    That's what this game is. A treadmill.
    as is almost any RPG/mmo
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

Quote Originally Posted by Mhorrg View Post
    Because it is content.

Content isn't a synonym for "things I enjoy."

Any gameplay is content regardless of what that gameplay is.

You're falling into the trap of self importance where you only consider things you enjoy to be valid forms of those things. It's like people who think the genre of music they enjoy is the only real type of music.
    Us and them. And we are all guilty eventually.

- - - Updated - - -

Really, this disturbs you? ISIS videos are disturbing. Hyperbole much? I do, however, agree with what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    After 12 years, why do people still not understand the mechanics of how an MMO-RPG works?
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    EXACTLY my thoughts. Sounds like TC should just quit. Too much "grind" for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    This.

Don't have the mindset? Don't play an MMORPG. Easy. Anything I can DO in-game, be it for some form of gain, or just fun, I consider to be content.
    Quote Originally Posted by lightofdawn View Post
    as is almost any RPG/mmo

It doesn't have to be this way. The G in MMORPG stands for GAME, not GRIND. It is the players fault for letting developers get away with not even trying. Keep asking for prettier graphics though, gameplay hasn't evolved in 20 years but at least our models are shiny!

7+ Year Old Account
    because its an MMO and MMOs in general are a grindfest?
    we are lucky that legions grinds are at least fun.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzael View Post
    It doesn't have to be this way. The G in MMORPG stands for GAME, not GRIND. It is the players fault for letting developers get away with not even trying. Keep asking for prettier graphics though, gameplay hasn't evolved in 20 years but at least our models are shiny!
    Grinds are the essence of MMOs. You may not enjoy it, but quite obviously many people do. It just may not be for you.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Grinds are the essence of MMOs. You may not enjoy it, but quite obviously many people do. It just may not be for you.
    No, playing online with many people has absolutely nothing to do with grinding. Grinding might be the essence of WoW and many other games, but it is not the essence of the genre itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Mats farming
    Rep farming
    Artifact farming
    Level farming
    Gold farming
    Gear grinding
    Achievement farming (the pointless shit, i.e. anything almost everything not PVP)
    Daily farming
    etc

Any action which consists of repetitive actions which require no real personal skill (aside from knowing your class combos and not to stand in fire) nor offer any challenge, which simply required time wasted to be completed.

Where are the in-game lore books, where are the parties of enemies attacking different outposts with different strategies each time requiring player intervention, where are the secrets aside from something to summon another mount boss, where is the new mounted/aerial/naval combat based on skill and not memorized rotations, where are the Wintergrasp style PVP world zones with different tactics to breach your enemies' keeps, like tunneling, ladders and flying machines?

It's been 12 years of the same, same grind, to the point I see people actually cheering for fucking REP GRINDS, like you didn't get enough of it during BC, and daily quests. Why are these grinds so LOVINGLY referred to by people as content?
    Well everyone keeps saying there is so much to do. As long as there is something to do i guess players don't care if it's actually interesting or not.

No, playing online with many people has absolutely nothing to do with grinding. Grinding might be the essence of WoW and many other games, but it is not the essence of the genre itself.
    Opinions.

The fact is grinds have been in EVERY mmo. From UO to WoW to ESO. Grinds are intrinsic to MMOs.

I personally LOVE it.

This x pack is going to be around for quite a while, probably 2 years... so what is the rush to get to max content, unlock everything, and you guessed it... SIT AROUND... except this time, probably in your class hall...i've already seen people doing it.

Anyhow, I'm liking the fact that my character is part of the world, which the game was missing in WoD... I am offered opportunities to get rep, do world quests, and get some rewards for doing so.

As someone who doesn't really care much for raiding, I am glad that stuff is challenging once again !

I love the grind, *takes out wow skateboard*

Opinions.

The fact is grinds have been in EVERY mmo. From UO to WoW to ESO. Grinds are intrinsic to MMOs.
    Habbo Hotel was grindless
    fact disproved

Grinding is in MOST mmos, because it's super easy to dish out countless hours of grind and trick simple players like you into thinking the game's got depth.

Doesnt technically everygame out there include a "grind" in it? Battlefield games...kill people to gain rank get better stuff...race car games compete get better...i mean he list goes on and on so maybe gaming isnt for the OP

If you are playing any persistent world online game you are grinding, hell you have to grind in most single player games now lol.

fact disproved

Grinding is in MOST mmos, because it's super easy to dish out countless hours of grind and trick simple players like you into thinking the game's got depth.
    Thats not a game...... Its a social network site. I dont care what YOU call it, the site itself does consider it to be a game.

SO, nope MMOs are a grind by nature.

Deleted
    fact disproved

I also think this way.
    Time gated grinds are the cheap way to deliver "content" to do for months.
    True content is Mythic+ dungeons and raids.

The rest is a well disguised and polished version of time gated content wannabe grind.
    Blizzard is a master at polishing things and showcasing them as pretty as possible.
    -Class Halls
    -Artifacts
    -World Quests
    -Reputations

Everything is polished and with extremely good presentation. Blizzard is a pro.
    But the only true content where you actually have to play the game is Mythic+ and raids.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2016-09-22 at 06:32 PM.