Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Pickup Artists Preyed on Drunk Women, Brought Them Home, and Raped Them

Pretty in-depth article, but also very graphic.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...rape-ring.html

The result of the trials--
    In 2015, with a binder of evidence from Claire and a year-long police investigation complete, the San Diego district attorney formally charged Alex, Jason, and Jonas with two counts of rape, of an intoxicated person and an unconscious person.

Jonas Dick and Jason Berlin both pleaded guilty to one count for Claire’s rape.

Jonas’s crime was essentially rape in concert—even though he hadn’t had sex with Claire, he admitted that he’d known what Alex was allegedly planning to do to her. According to California law, by keeping Claire’s friend Laura occupied—in part by hiding her phone—Jonas had acted as an accomplice, and was just as responsible.

Jonas was also charged with another rape shortly after being charged with Claire’s.

This one belonged to an underage girl who was celebrating her 16th birthday with two friends at the chain restaurant Dick’s Last Resort in 2012. Jonas joined the girls’ table, then convinced them to accompany him back to the hostel where he was living. He offered a tour, grabbed the birthday girl by hand, took away her phone, and whisked her into his room. As her friends searched for her up and down the halls of the hostel, Jonas threw the 110-pound girl on his bed and raped her as she begged him to stop. When it was over, he ejaculated on her stomach, threw her a T-shirt, and said, “Happy Birthday.”

She ran from the room, found her friends, and flagged down a patrol car to make a rape report.

It’s unclear whether police tried to find or apprehend Jonas in his hostel that night. The San Diego PD did not respond to a request for details on that investigation and the court case file is thin. It’s also unknown why it took three years to test her rape kit. Nevertheless, it eventually was tested—and came back with a match for Jonas Dick.

During Jonas’s August 2016 sentencing for both rapes, District Attorney Lisa Fox asked Judge Fraser for eight years, the maximum that the plea deal carried. She noted that Jonas’s quick guilty pleas were not necessarily because he felt regret, but because he wanted protection from “exposing himself to more [charges].”

As it turns out, Jonas’s DNA swab matched yet another victim in a national DNA database, as Fox discovered at a preliminary hearing. For that case—which, according to Fox, involved alcohol and a college student—Jonas has not been charged.
    UPDATE: On Wednesday afternoon, a San Diego jury convicted Alex Smith of two felony counts: rape of an intoxicated person and rape of an unconscious person. He’ll be sentenced on October 20, and faces a maximum of eight years in prison.

Through their attorneys, Alex Smith and Jason Berlin declined to comment for this story. Jonas Dick, currently in prison, asked to be paid for an interview. The Daily Beast declined.

10+ Year Old Account
    *crickets chirping in the wind*

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    *crickets chirping in the wind*
    Facing their inner demon is a pretty uncomfortable subject for most men. I don’t think jail will rehabilitate men like these. I am perfectly fine with death penalty. If I was the father of any one of those girls, I would be waiting for the day they get out of jail, and blow their heads off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I don’t think jail will rehabilitate men like these.
    Jails aren't meant to rehabilitate. They are meant to separate their inmates from the rest of society.

Sounds like a crime was committed, the perps were found guilty and sentenced?

What am I missing?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    So, I think most people are confused about what the 'discussion' is.
    Two guys raped a girl, are going to jail, as they should.

Pretty open and shut.

Jails aren't meant to rehabilitate. They are meant to separate their inmates from the rest of society.
    If that is going to be the point of view, then they need to keep those men in jail a lot longer than 8 years. The government should also strike out the words “Correctional Facility” from their system.

10+ Year Old Account
    If that is going to be the point of view, then they need to keep those men in jail a lot longer than 8 years. The government should also strike out the words “Correctional Facility” from their system.
    I concur on both of your statements.

Quote Originally Posted by st33l View Post
    So, I think most people are confused about what the 'discussion' is.
    Two guys raped a girl, are going to jail, as they should.

Pretty open and shut.
    Actually what the OP has stated in the the OP is not even the actual case. What is stated in the OP is that one of the guys really did rape a 16 year old otherwise.

The other one that has all 3 men is yet another one of those a woman got too drunk made a bad choice and is calling it rape because she was that drunk. Once again I'll say here: If you can't be held accountable for the sex you have while drunk, you shouldn't be held accountable for a DUI since you were too drunk to know what you were doing there either.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Actually what the OP has stated in the the OP is not even the actual case. What is stated in the OP is that one of the guys really did rape a 16 year old otherwise.

The other one that has all 3 men is yet another one of those a woman got too drunk made a bad choice and is calling it rape because she was that drunk. Once again I'll say here: If you can't be held accountable for the sex you have while drunk, you shouldn't be held accountable for a DUI since you were too drunk to know what you were doing there either.
    The woman in that case was absolutely black out drunk. Being passed out in your own vomit is not consent for anyone to do what they want to you while passed out, and something tells me you'd agree if you were knocked out and found out some dude fucked you in the ass.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Sounds like a crime was committed, the perps were found guilty and sentenced?

What am I missing?
    The part of the article the OP left out. Oh, you didn't think this was just a news report on a crime, did you?

For years, feminists and bloggers have lambasted pickup websites and blogs as echo chambers for misogyny, criticized their “techniques” as de facto harassment or assault, and called the group’s leaders advocates for rape. But pickup’s thousands of fans and followers—who congregate with other anti-feminists in the online space known as the “manosphere”—have roundly dismissed that criticism as “blue pill” thinking (a reference to the Matrix). In contrast, pickup artists and others in the Men’s Rights Movement think they’ve swallowed the “red pill” and can see through the evils of a politically-correct society whose supposed goal is to kill what remains of the world’s masculinity.
    No, no, this was an opportunity to use a rape committed by 3 people to push the same shit feminist narrative that all non-feminist/anti-feminist/men's rights men (and women, but for the purposes of the article it's just men) are future rapists.

Author is a sick cunt using tragedy in this way.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-09-22 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    The woman in that case was absolutely black out drunk. Being passed out in your own vomit is not consent for anyone to do what they want to you while passed out, and something tells me you'd agree if you were knocked out and found out some dude fucked you in the ass.
    She wasn't passed out in her own vomit and many DUI drivers are black out drunk. So if you're blacked out and drive drunk it's ok? Personal responsibility takes a huge role here. While you're blacked out, a lot of other people do not know you're blacked out. Blacked out and passed out are NOT the same thing. I've blacked out a few times recently and nobody else knew I had because I function and interact exactly the same as do most people.

So stop lying and saying she was passed out. She was not. She was fully conscious. She just lacked the capacity to recall the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    She wasn't passed out in her own vomit and many DUI drivers are black out drunk. So if you're blacked out and drive drunk it's ok? Personal responsibility takes a huge role here. While you're blacked out, a lot of other people do not know you're blacked out. Blacked out and passed out are NOT the same thing. I've blacked out a few times recently and nobody else knew I had because I function and interact exactly the same as do most people.

So stop lying and saying she was passed out. She was not. She was fully conscious. She just lacked the capacity to recall the situation.
    Please provide your evidence that this is the case, since according to her testimony, her friend's testimony, and 2/3 of the guys, she was completely gone.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it isn't fair to actual pick-up artists to call these rapists "pick-up artists."

Sentences for these sorts of scumbags always seem to light.

10+ Year Old Account
    Facing their inner demon is a pretty uncomfortable subject for most men. I don’t think jail will rehabilitate men like these. I am perfectly fine with death penalty. If I was the father of any one of those girls, I would be waiting for the day they get out of jail, and blow their heads off.
    You gotta make it look like an accident son. Think rationally... you got time to plan it out while he's in lock up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course, if they were immigrants from the Middle East, we'd all have to "understand their cultural frustration" and not condemn them for their actions.

Infracted - Don't Derail
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-09-23 at 01:32 AM.

Of course, if they were immigrants from the Middle East, we'd all have to "understand their cultural frustration" and not condemn them for their actions.
    When has that ever happened in the USA?

Is every single inmate there for life?
    If not, that means some inmates will be returning to the rest of society at the end of their sentence. This implies a need for rehabilitation. Otherwise you are returning to society people who you have explicitly recognized as needing to be kept separate from society.