Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Your raid healing rotation + raiding talents

So last night, I did heroic Nythendra and Il'gynoth.

The talents I used were:
    Torrent
    Wind Rush Totem
    Surge Totem
    Deluge
    Ancestral Vigor
    Cloudburst
    Hight Tide

My rotation revolved around the following: Healing Rain > Cloudburst > Healing Stream > Riptide > Gift of the Queen > Healing Wave and Chain Heal when everyone took a hit.

Whenever everything was on cooldown, and 3 to 5 people (out of 30) took a massive hit, it felt wasteful to use a Chain Heal. After that first Tidal Waves buff is used, trying to use a non-buffed Healing Wave feels soooooooo slooooooow (Echo/Crashing Waves in mythic dungeons has spoiled me) - But I kind of think it would be useful to use Crashing Waves in raids until i have the mana/trinkets to abuse Chain Heal more so that my rotation would look more like the following:

Healing Raid > Cloudburst > Healing Stream > Riptide > Gift of the Queen > Healing Wave x2 > Chain Heal as needed

What are your thoughts?

Nice post, I'd love to spam CH and use Tidal Waves proc for top ups, but go oom far to fast. Any mythic trinkets you after?

Ehhh disappointed after first night of raids. Went in @ 852 Ilvl with good stats (mastery/crit) on most of my gear with the spec I'd been using in mythic and mythic+ dungeons (more of a single target spec sure, but really engaging gameplay imo). Long story short is the other shaman in the raid came in 5-7 ilvls lower than me with sub obtimal gearing with the chain heal spam spec and blew me away on the meters (ok blew me away is abit harsh but his hps and total healing was a couple of % above me overall). Sure he went oom quicker than I did but with pots the fights were either over by the time it mattered or a wipe had been called.

Sadely I'll be respeccing before raids tonight to chain heal spam spec because it just seems to be better in just about every single way. Boring.

Repec in what way?

Quote Originally Posted by Croc View Post
    Repec in what way?
    Right now I'm running-
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/s...storation/cj8c

I'm well aware this spec is considered sub optimal by a lot of the people on this forum but I've been very successful with it in mythics and mythic+ having very few issues. To be fair i did feel like it performed well in raid, being able to quickly top people off and ability to to save the tank on a few occasions with clutch riptide > healing surge > healing surge > riptide usgage during extremely high damage phases. However the logs just tell a different story and it's hard to justify a better geared shaman being outperformed by another even if they were essentially performing a different "role".

So as of tonight I'll be-
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/s...storation/cxSc

Or some variation of that. Essentially dropping rain and hitting chain heal/unleash life into chain heal. Purely because it performs better in a raid situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabatya View Post

Or some variation of that. Essentially dropping rain and hitting chain heal/unleash life into chain heal. Purely because it performs better in a raid situation.

Wouldn't you want echo if you're running deluge?

Right now I'm running-

I'm well aware this spec is considered sub optimal by a lot of the people on this forum but I've been very successful with it in mythics and mythic+ having very few issues. To be fair i did feel like it performed well in raid, being able to quickly top people off and ability to to save the tank on a few occasions with clutch riptide > healing surge > healing surge > riptide usgage during extremely high damage phases. However the logs just tell a different story and it's hard to justify a better geared shaman being outperformed by another even if they were essentially performing a different "role".

I too had this similar problem, in 5 mans i felt op, raid healing felt like shit. I too will be switching over lol

Quote Originally Posted by Omybad View Post
    Wouldn't you want echo if you're running deluge?
    Sorry, why would I want echo which has no effect on either chain heal or healing rain (deluge)? Perhaps you meant torrent? That would be understandable.

Went in last night.

Was on par with oyr legendary lvl 23 artifact Hpaladin (I am 18 849, started a week behind)

We where crushing the numbers of our other healers, this was in yolo normal tho.

I was running with http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/s...storation/ctQc

Today I will go for:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/s...storation/cj9c

This is for heroic.

Sorry, why would I want echo which has no effect on either chain heal or healing rain (deluge)? Perhaps you meant torrent? That would be understandable.
    That's not entirely correct though, deluge is riptided targets and targets standing in your healing rain, I assume that's why the person wondered about EotE.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amunrasonther View Post
    So last night, I did heroic Nythendra and Il'gynoth.

The talents I used were:
    Torrent
    Wind Rush Totem
    Surge Totem
    Deluge
    Ancestral Vigor
    Cloudburst
    Hight Tide

My rotation revolved around the following: Healing Rain > Cloudburst > Healing Stream > Riptide > Gift of the Queen > Healing Wave and Chain Heal when everyone took a hit.

Whenever everything was on cooldown, and 3 to 5 people (out of 30) took a massive hit, it felt wasteful to use a Chain Heal. After that first Tidal Waves buff is used, trying to use a non-buffed Healing Wave feels soooooooo slooooooow (Echo/Crashing Waves in mythic dungeons has spoiled me) - But I kind of think it would be useful to use Crashing Waves in raids until i have the mana/trinkets to abuse Chain Heal more so that my rotation would look more like the following:

Healing Raid > Cloudburst > Healing Stream > Riptide > Gift of the Queen > Healing Wave x2 > Chain Heal as needed

What are your thoughts?
    "healing rotation" doesn't make any sense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    "healing rotation" doesn't make any sense.
    I thought I had gone mad, glad it's not just me

I think we are lucky to have a diverse range of builds we can utilize. Unlike some classes which have an optimal talent build and that's it. Obviously the ideal way to glide through progression especially mythic, is to learn which builds work better on which boss. For example with Nythendra and ursoc the raid is bunched up most the fight, so Deluge was great to use but shit house on the evil tree eye ball boss.

During normal and the first few bosses on heroic, you don't need to worry so much about changing talents every time. But late heroic/mythic i'll definitely be using all optimal builds.

Forget about your ilvl and HPS. If the raid aint dieing and your killing the boss, your doing something right ;p

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugman View Post
    I think we are lucky to have a diverse range of builds we can utilize.
    WTF are you talking about. is it really bad joke?

Because Deluge buffs chain heal on targets that are Riptided, and Echo gives you more Riptides. That being the case, why not run Torrent also, so make Riptide hit almost as hard as Healing Wave/Surge?

Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    Because Deluge buffs chain heal on targets that are Riptided, and Echo gives you more Riptides. That being the case, why not run Torrent also, so make Riptide hit almost as hard as Healing Wave/Surge?
    You're taking Deluge to get Chain Heal throughput on people standing in healing rain, not those with riptide. Unleash life is going to boost that chain heal 20% to every target bounced to, instead of that extra riptided guy getting the 20% for just himself. Its a 1 vs 4 throughput issue.

edit: I wonder at what point taking echo purely for a 2nd healing stream totem over cloud burst will become worth it, if ever. that I dont know.
    Last edited by Sparkalark; 2016-09-22 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkalark View Post
    You're taking Deluge to get Chain Heal throughput on people standing in healing rain, not those with riptide. Unleash life is going to boost that chain heal 20% to every target bounced to, instead of that extra riptided guy getting the 20% for just himself. Its a 1 vs 4 throughput issue.

edit: I wonder at what point taking echo purely for a 2nd healing stream totem over cloud burst will become worth it, if ever. that I dont know.
    second healing stream would definitely be better when damage is more unpredictable, because cloudburst gets better as your ability to plan ahead gets better, and healing stream is better when you need to drop something right then and there.

and ugh i've always hated unleash life.

Right now I'm running-

This shouldn't really have been a surprise for anyone. Our toolkit really hasn't changed much since Warlords, especially compared to some other specs like MW or Disc; we've always been kings of raid healing, especially triage raid healing. For the past few weeks, however, all of our threads on this forum have specifically been about 5man mythic+ healing, and for that, single target is generally the way to go. We're great at healing a lot of people semi-stacked together, but single target really isn't our strongest ability, so that's better left for the other healers who can do that more effectively and efficiently. Remember in raids we work as a team, not as a one man show. Of course, if you really want to be a single target healer, go ahead, but just know that the class itself does have its limitations (as all classes do).

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkalark View Post

Unleash life is a 45% increase. Also, in terms of efficiency, UL is extremely cheap and heals for about the same as a torrent riptide (direct heal portion). Deluge is kind of nice, but I don't trust fate to be kind about keeping the people who need healing the most to be always within the healing rain or have a riptide on them AND be the ones who randomly get hit with chain heal (also considering the jump ranges).

Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    second healing stream would definitely be better when damage is more unpredictable, because cloudburst gets better as your ability to plan ahead gets better, and healing stream is better when you need to drop something right then and there.

and ugh i've always hated unleash life.
    HST would be nice for those situations, but just keep in mind that it really only nets you one extra cast in a fight (if you're using it more or less on cd). As for UL, yeah it sucked before, and it still works the same way (minus speed boost), but the buffed numbers now really make it worth using.
    Last edited by Kargos; 2016-09-22 at 04:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kargos View Post
    We're great at healing a lot of people semi-stacked together, but single target really isn't our strongest ability, so that's better left for the other healers who can do that more effectively and efficiently. Remember in raids we work as a team, not as a one man show. Of course, if you really want to be a single target healer, go ahead, but just know that the class itself does have its limitations (as all classes do).
    I read this very often in regards to resto shaman and I never understand the reasoning behind it.

The combination of undulation, tidal waves and the mastery should turn shaman into excellent ST healers.

What makes shaman sup bar single target healers exactly ?

Which healers do you think are better at it and why ?

Quote Originally Posted by calcifar View Post
    I read this very often in regards to resto shaman and I never understand the reasoning behind it.

The combination of undulation, tidal waves and the mastery should turn shaman into excellent ST healers.

What makes shaman sup bar single target healers exactly ?

Which healers do you think are better at it and why ?
    Here's some proof from someone else:
    Right now I'm running-

You can talent into ST healing, sure, and it works fine. But one class that comes to mind is holy paladin. They have terrible aoe healing (one spell on a cooldown), but they excel in single target healing. Part of this is their passives are more focused on single target healing, especially with crit. They can chain off more heals on a single target faster, with more crit, and more frequently procing faster casts on their efficient spells and extra healing on those spells. They also don't have to worry about a hot and accidentally overwriting that hot ever. Compare a shaman and a paladin both single targetting only at the same skill level, the paladin should outshine the shaman (unless some impossibly slanted RNG happens or something).

So am I saying shaman can't ST heal? No. I did great with undulation, crashing waves, echo build in mythic 5 mans. But in a raid, every class has their strengths, and ST is the strength of a paladin and a few others, not shaman. That's part of what I like about raid healing; everyone can play more to their strengths and cover each other's weaknesses.

Edit: Specifically, you may want to look at a paladin's skills: avenging wrath, holy shock, light of the martyr, and especially the infusion of light passive.
    Last edited by Kargos; 2016-09-22 at 05:18 PM.