Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Not really a justification though, its medicine and only reason why they can get away with this because the US political system has assholes like Trump that corrupt the system and then brag about it.

Also eventually you as a US tax payer pays for this shit, this is why per capita the US is a top spender for healthcare while getting nothing in return. If the US had the best healthcare maybe you could justify the cost but your not even that and the only thing you do is create a bigger wealth-gap between yourself and the 1%.

- - - Updated - - -

or you give them more teeth and not have obstructionist Republicans meddle with regulations so much and complain about un elected bureaucrats? Their is a reason why you have people in government that don't follow the whims of the masses

Regulators like FDA in the US often get to much restrictions (see what republicans have been trying to do with the consumer protection bureau) but while at the same time they also need to be really strict when it comes to stuff like medicine and food.
    But they don't need to be strict. In this case, the regulations are strict, by limiting who is allowed to produce a product. It's a government-protected and mandated monopoly. The government is the reason this is allowed to happen. And it's not just the GOP who did this, Democrats have long been in bed with the pharmaceutical industry, as well. The best way to fix a problem, is to not create the problem in the first place.

This story is just atrocious.

Daughter of a Senator/Governor gets an important position. Father puts Mother on board of education. Mother pushes epipens into school. Daughter hikes prices sky high.

But I'm sure Manchin will be elected again!

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    In Belgium the EpiPen costs around €100 (full price, no medical reductions etc). Same ingredients, same content.

So you aren't going to tell me that anything above $200 is justified.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see how an ambulance could ever spend 20k on an intervention, here it's 250 eur to use an ambulance and they don't live of donations either. Then again American wages are higher (yearly value, we're still much richer on average) than ours, but they aren't higher by a factor of a 80 either.
    Everything is justified in the magical free market, silly boya

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    This story is just atrocious.

Daughter of a Senator/Governor gets an important position. Father puts Mother on board of education. Mother pushes epipens into school. Daughter hikes prices sky high.

But I'm sure Manchin will be elected again!
    Remind me of the husband of our minister of healthcare/sport is using loopholes in our healthcare system to make money(by giving 'advice')

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    The company who makes Epipens (Mylan) did not invent them. They bought the rights to make them and so they need to recoup the cost of that purchase. Thats why the price increased

- - - Updated - - -

Insurance covers the majority of the cost for an ambulance ride and ER service. I would pay $50 total if I called an ambulance and I was checked into the ER. The reason the Ambulance costs are so high is because unless you live in a major city, most ambulance services are run by volunteers just like the fire companies and since a lot of people do not make donations to keep them running, they need to recoup the costs of providing the services
    Well, except for the fact that they bought those rights in 2007...... They made that money back years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Not sure his points are very great. He just hangs more overpriced services over people's heads.
    $2000 for an ambulance ride? $20000 for an emergency room intervention?

Uh, those things only cost $15-50 over in my country. Does the US have some magical ambulances and nurses made out of gold and diamonds that makes everything 50 to 500 times more expensive?
    I know this is a pretty late reply, but our Healthcare System is fucked and those prices are 100% Accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    And in France they're sold by pairs by a different company (Meda) at a price of $85, so about $42 for one... then they are at least 65% cheaper if you got a prescription, so in the worst case, you'll still pay less than $15 for one if a doctor can attest that you need it. I had some too, social security + work insurance were probably enough to cover it 100% or close to it, as I can't even remember paying for them, so the cost was probably close (or equal) to 0.

If a company can sell them at $42, their "only $50 benefit per pen" can only be bullshit, or they're really throwing their money away at some useless shit.
    They are. That's the disgusting part. The epinephrine inside EpiPens - the actual medicine - cost dollars to get. There's less than 10 dollars worth of Epinephrine per Epipen.

So in the end, you end-up paying 600$ for the injection mechanism. Because it's protected by a copyright, nobody can come and sell a cheaper version of EpiPen without suffering from a tremendous loss on legal. The only other option is to buy epinephrine directly with a regular injector, which is tremendously risky when you're having an allergy and panicking - or if your friends and family panic too. Someone died from that, although I cannot find the article.

The medical industry in the US is corrupted to the bone. It's horrible.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    The company who makes Epipens (Mylan) did not invent them. They bought the rights to make them and so they need to recoup the cost of that purchase. Thats why the price increased
    Fucking hell its been 9 years already, how long do they need?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    I know this is a pretty late reply, but our Healthcare System is fucked and those prices are 100% Accurate.
    I wouldn't say those are 100% accurate. I've done both things, and the before-insurance bill wasn't that high. Ambulance ride was ~$500, emergency room to get a shot of epinephrine was ~$400. Sure, you could see a $20,000 bill for something that involved emergency surgery, but getting a shot of epinephrine from the ER isn't going to run you that high.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    They are. That's the disgusting part. The epinephrine inside EpiPens - the actual medicine - cost dollars to get. There's less than 10 dollars worth of Epinephrine per Epipen.

So in the end, you end-up paying 600$ for the injection mechanism. Because it's protected by a copyright, nobody can come and sell a cheaper version of EpiPen without suffering from a tremendous loss on legal. The only other option is to buy epinephrine directly with a regular injector, which is tremendously risky when you're having an allergy and panicking - or if your friends and family panic too. Someone died from that, although I cannot find the article.

The medical industry in the US is corrupted to the bone. It's horrible.
    There are people DIYing the injectors by re-purposing reusable diabetes injectors. It's crazy.

Funnily enough, them getting richer is what allows them to do more research and find new medicines that are better. Once again, watching the video instead of screeching like a child that Martin is insane, which I won't deny, he is, would have you all on the exact same page.
    You know this guy has a lot of debt right? He isn't "getting richer" to build better drugs, he is getting rich to pay his debts, because in his prior endeavours he bombed big time. He intends to pocket most of the earnings. He did not buy these drug companies to make better drugs. He did it because its easy cash because people can't say no to it. They need the drugs, its not an option. So he abuses that and hikes up prices.

If the company was not charging very high prices and was continuing to make the drug, the cost to manufacture was there... Development costs should not be based on drugs for dying people. It's just wrong. There are other ways to make money... There is such a thing as business ethics. I somehow think our country has lost any concept of ethics. Id be surprised if you even know the definition of it, you seem to defend this guy like somehow what he is doing is fine. Do you understand what being ethical is?

- - - Updated - - -

Accurate but wrong. Like he said. Prices for an Ambulance isn't more than $15-50 in a reasonable country. It does not make a whole lot of sense that we charge stupidly high prices for medical things, the only reason is no one can say no. To be honest, If I have to go to the ER, I have my wife drive me, because f**k them. And if I can find a way to stick it out or deal with it myself, I do that. It should not have to come to that... It literally means money is worth more than health in this country. Money is our God. ...
    We think we climb so high, Upon the backs we've condemned ...We face our Conϛequence.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Sorry, still not buying it.
    I don't have the money.
    ZZZZiinger!****

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    Yeah it's not like he has thirty-one thousand posts or anything.
    Ya but that's because he makes several posts a day that just regurgitate shit off yahoo news. Normally he doesn't even add his own thoughts. So for him to interject here... its like that guy you thought was mute, and then says something terribly profound out of nowhere and then never speaks again.

Like Sphinx in Gone in 60 Seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Ya but that's because he makes several posts a day that just regurgitate shit off yahoo news. Normally he doesn't even add his own thoughts. So for him to interject here... its like that guy you thought was mute, and then says something terribly profound out of nowhere and then never speaks again.

Like Sphinx in Gone in 60 Seconds.
    That was the first character that pooped into my mind halfway through that first bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    That was the first character that pooped into my mind halfway through that first bit.
    Someone pooped in your mind?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Someone pooped in your mind?
    I think that is almost quote worthy.

I feel like the majority of what I read on these forums is just that... people shitting on my brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    I think that is almost quote worthy.

I feel like the majority of what I read on these forums is just that... people shitting on my brain.
    Lol, that is exactly what it feels like half the time.

As someone who actually works with insurance billing for epipen everyday, I present to you

https://www.epipen.com/copay-offer/

No this is not new. Yes this is run in partnership with Mylan. Yes they renew it every year.

Nobody pays $600 dollars for an epipen. No one even pays $300. After that copay offer plus insurance, people pay 0 dollars. If you don't have insurance it's your own damn fault at this point.

The shear amount of outright LYING and misinformation spread by the media on this story all in a bid to get more clicks is disgusting.
    Mylan and its CEO are being crucified on the alter of public entertainment. That is the only terrible thing about the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah because those insurance premiums aren't affected by rising costs at all right...What a surprise the insurance companies are enjoying it.

The New York Times reports that late last year, an effort supported by Mylan was launched in earnest to get the EpiPen placed on the list of preventive services that must be covered without additional cost by all health insurance plans in America. The list includes things like hearing screenings for newborns and immunization vaccines for children up to age 18.

If and when epinephrine auto-injection systems like EpiPen were placed on the list, Mylan “would be able to continue charging high prices for the product without patients complaining about the cost,” the Times explains.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2016-09-22 at 06:25 PM.

Sidenote, guess what that copay card won't work with. Yes you're right, it won't work with whatever generic becomes available for Epipen. Guess what program manufacturers are incentivized to stop once a generic becomes available. You're right again, the one I just linked wherein the vast vast majority of patients pay 0 dollars.

Now it is fishy with Mylan coming up with a generic so quickly but on the whole, this debacle about how 0 dollars is too much to charge for epipens actually has the potential to increase out of pocket costs for patients on Epipen.

Good job media, way to go. You definitely informed on the big bads yet again. Give yourselves a big punch to your own nuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Yeah because those insurance premiums aren't affected by rising costs at all right...What a surprise the insurance companies are enjoying it.
    If you think $300 dollars is an outrageous cost for a medication and is driving up insurance premiums, have I got news for you. It's not at all uncommon for a 30 day course of a maintenance medication (like say for blood pressure or cholesterol) to cost $1200. That's $1200 dollars every month. FOR 12 MONTHS. And we sell waaaaaay more of those than epipens. An epipen by the way that you are usually only going to need once a year because it's an emergency medication, not something you shoot up every day.

Epipen is NOT, I repeat NOT, remotely a culprit for rising insurance premiums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Epipen is NOT, I repeat NOT, remotely a culprit for rising insurance premiums.
    You can repeat it, but thats not what the experts say. Rising costs are ALWAYS passed on somewhere, and if its not the patietns paying for it, its the insurance companies, so they'll raise their premiums.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2016-09-22 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    As someone who actually works with insurance billing for epipen everyday, I present to you

https://www.epipen.com/copay-offer/

No this is not new. Yes this is run in partnership with Mylan. Yes they renew it every year.

Nobody pays $600 dollars for an epipen. No one even pays $300. After that copay offer plus insurance, people pay 0 dollars. If you don't have insurance it's your own damn fault at this point.

The shear amount of outright LYING and misinformation spread by the media on this story all in a bid to get more clicks is disgusting.
    Mylan and its CEO are being crucified on the alter of public entertainment. That is the only terrible thing about the story.
    "after paying 300 plus another 300, people pay 0 dollars for it!"

That's practically what your argument looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.