Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    My guild is currently 5/7 normal, going to finish and start Heroic on Fri/Sat. I'm in much the same boat as everyone with mana, but mostly my issue was understanding the way the puzzle pieces of atonement, raid damage, dps, and timers fit together.

I did come across a video by Youtuber Flintoid describing his disc experience and how he was able to reach top 10 in the disc charts, and even overall in one case. He shows his talent choices, what method he used to heal, and also has videos of most of his fights (normal and heroic). I'm going to try assuming his sort of style this Friday and see how it goes for me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpD...jB7E-TU3rUYMsg

Here's the link to his channel for anyone interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I feel like one more heal spell as a good filler or atonement spreader would be amazing for our kit. Prayer of Mending or even cascade coming back would do wonders.
    Nailed it really, I feel we lack something basic to do. When power of radiance costs to much mana, and plea being plea.

Only healed for Nightmare Dragons, so can take this with as much salt as you'd like.

My experience was actually pretty good, recognizing that I can't heal everyone at once and am more of a cleave healer with single-target dps I manager to not go oom until the end of the fight.

Can certainly do better with practice and more AP (I main Shadow so most of my AP has been going to that), really like it in a raid setting. Though why do you all think you don't have any sustained heals? My own experience I feel like I have tons of sustain but no burst.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantipper View Post
    I did come across a video by Youtuber Flintoid describing his disc experience and how he was able to reach top 10 in the disc charts, and even overall in one case. He shows his talent choices, what method he used to heal, and also has videos of most of his fights (normal and heroic). I'm going to try assuming his sort of style this Friday and see how it goes for me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpD...jB7E-TU3rUYMsg

Here's the link to his channel for anyone interested.
    Please stop posting this meme.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    My own experience I feel like I have tons of sustain but no burst.
    And disc is literally the exact opposite of this.
    Arthas Logs] | Azgalor Logs | Twitch | Pearl91#1607
    "I am a chemical engineer. To save time, lets just assume that I am never wrong."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Prayer of Mending
    Prayer of Mending spreading atonement would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl1717 View Post
    And disc is literally the exact opposite of this.
    Ok, but how or why? I obviously feel differently but why do you feel the way you do?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    Ok, but how or why? I obviously feel differently but why do you feel the way you do?
    During our heroic clear I mainly focused on burst healing. Sustain costs too much mana to realistically "sustain" (hah). Where you really shine is healing up high predictable burst damage. I've used Ursoc as an example quite a bit recently because he is literally the perfect discipline fight. If you stack your atonements correctly you can near single handedly heal up the entire raid after every single charge.

Mindbender and Light's Wrath lend themselves perfectly as mini cooldowns that become a powerhouse with enough atonements up. And even without those, due to Sins of the Many, as long as you have a lot of atonements active you will be able to heal the raid extremely well with just your regular damage spells.

Although I still made a rather ridiculous amount of mistakes on our kills I was still extremely competitive in healing and at minimum adding 100k dps as well. I'm quite pleased with discipline's performance during this first week and as we all get to know the fights better I'm sure we'll shine all the more for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl1717 View Post
    Please stop posting this meme.
    I would like to say that I had no knowledge of the discussion in the guide thread until a few minutes after I had posted that comment.

I'll clarify what I mean by 'assuming his sort of style'. On the fights with far too much unpredictability for the burst raid healing model, or too much consistent damage, this style may do alright. I'm not saying to only spam shadowmend, but to use it more liberally than the burst model does.

What Tuesday taught us about Disc is that it is incredibly versatile in how it can be played, from fight to fight and even from phase to phase, and adapting in those short time-frames will likely be the best way to play disc -- If I can figure out how to keep my mana sustained.

currently 5/7 heroic, 30 man, 6 healers

in normal everything was pretty much faceroll, rarely needed to heal, and honestly would go schism for normal modes in the future and just dps.

heroic:

nythendra: pretty much the only fight I get to heal on. still do a massive amount of overhealing due to others sniping my heals, but on mythic this shouldn't be nearly an issue as everyone is forced to play much more conservatively. topped the charts for my group at 340k~ hps.

il'gynoth: will likely not play disc for this fight in the future. there is almost no damage that you can properly plan for, and damage targets are totally random. will either go holy or shadow for this on mythic.

ursoc: did decently well on this fight due to the massive healing needed later with the roars. other healers all blew their CD's early and didn't have anything, so I cleaned up the meter for the last phase.

elereth: honestly if you execute this fight well, you could probably 2 heal this fight. all of us ended the fight with like 70-80% mana and no real CD's used except for my barrier, another fight I'd probably go schism and dps on.

dragons: I did alright on this fight, but mostly because tanks fucked up the taunt and and entire side's healers fell asleep and died, so I ran over and solo healed that side, was very nice

we are still working on the kinks in cenarius execution, so I cant really tell how I'm doing (fuckers keep running roots over the raid). mostly it's been fine tho (I clean up on the thorns damage by idiots blowing themselves up).

things I haven't had an issue with:

mana (mindbender/arcane torrent/blessed medallion on CD, leytorrent potion, infernal alchemists stone, darkmoon card: promises).
    doing massive aoe heals
    spot healing

things I have noticed are issues:

we pretty much stop scaling after 21 targets as that is pretty much the cap on targets for lights wrath, makes us comparatively weaker than other healer cds.

our healing officers don't yet understand light's wrath or how to use it. they keep telling me to hold it incase random damage happens, which is 100% where it can't be used. I've been overhealing like a god because by the time light's rather fires off, everyone else has already topped the raid.

we are dog shit at panic reaction healing so on some fights, there is really nothing I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinze View Post
    During our heroic clear I mainly focused on burst healing. Sustain costs too much mana to realistically "sustain" (hah). Where you really shine is healing up high predictable burst damage. I've used Ursoc as an example quite a bit recently because he is literally the perfect discipline fight. If you stack your atonements correctly you can near single handedly heal up the entire raid after every single charge.

Mindbender and Light's Wrath lend themselves perfectly as mini cooldowns that become a powerhouse with enough atonements up. And even without those, due to Sins of the Many, as long as you have a lot of atonements active you will be able to heal the raid extremely well with just your regular damage spells.

Although I still made a rather ridiculous amount of mistakes on our kills I was still extremely competitive in healing and at minimum adding 100k dps as well. I'm quite pleased with discipline's performance during this first week and as we all get to know the fights better I'm sure we'll shine all the more for it.
    I understand now, thank you.

I was pretty pleased by my first raiding attempts. I ranked in the top 95th percentile for our Heroic Nythendra kill!

I thought coming into this that healing as a Discipline Priest was going to be very cookie-cutter in that there really weren't may viable talent exchanges possible. For instance I leaned on Contrition in both Nythendra and Four Dragons because they both involve a omni-present DoT on the entire raid. Extra seconds of Atonement healing on targets never really gets wasted if it is countering such damage. Contrition is supposed to be quite weak but it felt like it did some work. I tried to make Power Infusion work at first but I really didn't feel like I was getting a lot of mana-savings from it compared to the power of just having longer Atonements. It should convert into like... 12.5% more mana from Mindbender... which should be pretty competitive with 13.3% longer atonements... but it didn't seem to shake out for some reason. There's some real depth to healing with this specialization... that should be interesting to figure out.

All in all it seems rewarding, interesting and tricky to play Discipline. That's great. It's a bit funny though. A friend of mine was brought in on his restoration shaman to heal for Cenarius and Xavius Normal. He mentioned to me afterwards that the found the healing hectic, frantic and it seemed like he meant a bit unsatisfying compared to other roles. He then asked why I would choose to compound that further by playing Discipline. I didn't really have a clear answer for him... raid healing was hectic, frantic, and generally just a mess.... but it was fun too!

I have never really gotten good at weaving Lights Wrath into my healing though. Even in that Nythendra kill I only used it 4 times over a 7:22 fight. That's... like 50% cooldown usage. Given that it has no mana cost at all I feel like I should be using it on cooldown just to help with those mana issues... they are very real.

Quote Originally Posted by Supliftz View Post
    I got innervates and spammed PW:R a lot

seemsgood
    Yeah, I saw those parses putting you in all-star range! I was wondering how you were doing so much PW:R.

Well I think I made a good impression. TBH I think I play differently to every other Disc Priest though, I see y'all using PW:R yet I've been using Shadow Covenant since day 1 and love it, I tried switching back to PW:R few times but caused many wipes in Mythics trying to play with that spell, it's too long a cast time for me, I absolutely love Shadow Covenant and I always wonder why I'm the only one using it. I throw it down on big aoe a few times with Power Infusion up and sky rocket the meters. Balls to spreading attonement, that just ain't worth it not when people are dying fast and need big numbers. I honestly wish there was an easier way to spread attonement, I wonder why Halo doesn't do it, or why it can't float to another person after expiring like the Mistweaver HoT thing does (or did when I last played it at all). I really love Disc, BUT I will honestly say that I do not play it like it was designed to be played. I just play like a normal healer and barely do any damage. So in my first raid I was a few % away from the tanks in the DMG meters but really I didn't even attempt or try to make much damage, that was really just my shadow fiend, SW:P and Pennance on CD. Barely Smited a thing. As for mana, it wasn't that bad, but then again, I am really terrible at conserving mana and always have been. But I always get the job done at the end of the day. Sometimes you gotta just be you and forget what the experts are telling you, I'm not exactly aiming for Pro status.
    The kiss of the sun for pardon
    The song of the birds for mirth
    You are nearer gods heart in a garden
    Than anywhere else on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Darshana View Post
    Well I think I made a good impression. TBH I think I play differently to every other Disc Priest though, I see y'all using PW:R yet I've been using Shadow Covenant since day 1 and love it, I tried switching back to PW:R few times but caused many wipes in Mythics trying to play with that spell, it's too long a cast time for me, I absolutely love Shadow Covenant and I always wonder why I'm the only one using it. I throw it down on big aoe a few times with Power Infusion up and sky rocket the meters. Balls to spreading attonement, that just ain't worth it not when people are dying fast and need big numbers. I honestly wish there was an easier way to spread attonement, I wonder why Halo doesn't do it, or why it can't float to another person after expiring like the Mistweaver HoT thing does (or did when I last played it at all). I really love Disc, BUT I will honestly say that I do not play it like it was designed to be played. I just play like a normal healer and barely do any damage. So in my first raid I was a few % away from the tanks in the DMG meters but really I didn't even attempt or try to make much damage, that was really just my shadow fiend, SW:P and Pennance on CD. Barely Smited a thing. As for mana, it wasn't that bad, but then again, I am really terrible at conserving mana and always have been. But I always get the job done at the end of the day. Sometimes you gotta just be you and forget what the experts are telling you, I'm not exactly aiming for Pro status.
    So... why aren't you holy? You would be doing the same thing, but better. And without inflating your healing stats by spamming healing-absorbs on your raid and making the other healers pick up your slack while the meters lie about you doing well. Though I don't doubt it'd make a good impression on people who had no idea what was going on, so... I guess, if looking good without being good in that context is your goal then keep it up I suppose...
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Actually I think shadow covenant SHOULD apply attonement. Or not apply the healing shield. Think now is a bit odd talent.

But is true that PtW is a bit weak for a 100 talent. Sometimes I really think if Grace could be useful on all bosses on the raid and take it instead ptw, even if means lose a bit of dps.

Also Grace will help to keep tanks up thanks to increase the shield, no mention also increase halo effect.

Damn, even Shadow covenant could be better than ptw

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    So... why aren't you holy? You would be doing the same thing, but better. And without inflating your healing stats by spamming healing-absorbs on your raid and making the other healers pick up your slack while the meters lie about you doing well. Though I don't doubt it'd make a good impression on people who had no idea what was going on, so... I guess, if looking good without being good in that context is your goal then keep it up I suppose...
    When you pay my sub and my electricity bill you can tell me how to play. Until then I'll continue just enjoying my game how I want to play it.
    The kiss of the sun for pardon
    The song of the birds for mirth
    You are nearer gods heart in a garden
    Than anywhere else on earth

When you pay my sub and my electricity bill you can tell me how to play. Until then I'll continue just enjoying my game how I want to play it.
    That's fine. Just, if you're gonna play like an idiot, at least recognize that that's what you're doing.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Well, letting aside the preferences of each one, is true we need a better way to spread attonement. Even if is a small improvement.

Maybe something as easy as change the talent of the extra 2s on the buff by something like "when you cast plea, a second objetive at x distance is also affected by the spell".

Or maybe that Smite apply a 10s attonement buff on a close target

Something

He is not telling you haw you are supposed to play. He is telling you haw you are playing -- like a dick who makes the encounters harder for other healers by negating their healing. That's all...you are by all means allowed to do so for as long as you desire and enjoy it.

Did 7/7 N on Thursday. As stated before, Ursoc is a Disc priest dream. It's like I can pop a mini tranquility after every charge. I'm only at an 841 ilevel, but I managed to do around 130-140K hps, which put me on par with our other healers except for our Pally who was just crushing it, and managed to push around 90-100K dps.